5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful for all ages
Published on November 12, 2010 by Jeff A. Tomboulian

3.0 out of 5 stars I am not sure yet.....
bought this for a friend who is having trouble keeping blood pressure in a reasonable range, even with meds.
I read the instruction booklet, and listened to the cd.
I was too cheap to buy anything more expensive.

My friend has used something similar in the past; I have never used one, though 20 years ago or more, I meditated regularly...
Published 17 months ago by Sherry L

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful for all ages, November 12, 2010
This review is from: Basic GSR2 Biofeedback Relaxation System THE NEW ONE with CD! (Health and Beauty)
I have used this small, humble device to good effect for years in my second grade classroom (with parent permission). It helps even the most active children slow down, temporarily, and helps them to become aware of their physical state. There have been days when all three of my GSRs were in use simultaneously, especially after the mayhem of lunchtime. I have used it myself, and, like my second grade colleague, became relaxed almost to the point of drowsiness after a few minutes. As long as you hold your fingers still, and pay attention, it's hard to avoid relaxing quickly and gaining an awareness of how subtle changes in thoughts and feelings affect your level of physiological arousal, largely anxiety, as reflected in the pitch of the GSR's tone. This self-awareness, like meditation or prayer, supports the recognition that we are continuously creating our responses to the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars GSR2 has been used for Clinical Studies, September 14, 2010
designed the GSR2 in 1976. Yes, it has been around that long. Over the years over 600,000 were sold through the sharper Image, American express and dozens of other catalogs and to thousands of medical specialists, especially psychologists for use with their patients.

Indeed, I used it to do my doctoral research with Angina patients at McGill University's teaching hospital, the Royal Victoria Hospital Cardiology Department. It was used to teach Angina patients to control increases in heart rate and blood pressure which leads to pain, with great success.

Does it accurately measure change in GSR activity. Absolutely. Is the change only due to movement artifact? Definitely not. You can clearly prove this using the extender electrodes which come with the GSR/Temp2 kit, since the Velcro band holds the electrodes in constant contact with your fingers. Similarly, if you followed the instructions in the manual which suggests the optional position of holding the unit upside down with the strap in place

"Place your first two fingers limply on the sensing plates; your thumb goes underneath the unit. Never press down or squeeze. Only your natural touch is needed, as the unit is designed to allow full and even contact, even if your fingers do not cover the complete length of the plates. If your hand needs steadying, flip the strap up. The strap is not absolutely necessary, however, it is recommended that you use it. Use it only to stop hand movement and help you maintain a light, even pressure on the plates. To adjust band tightness, gently pull the band out on both sides. Many people prefer to allow the GSR 2 monitor to rest upside down in the palm of their hand. Some people use the remote electrodes, to permit stable monitoring even while moving their hand."

The key is not to grasp the unit, but to let your hand rest gently on it or to let the unit rest gently in your hand.

As to the customer who claimed non-reactivity with the 'elastic stabilized' GSR2, I strongly suggest you were not getting a changing tone, because you were NOT changing YOUR GSR level. The GSR2 is extremely sensitive to changes in the sympathetic nervous system (SNS). A rising tone indicates increased SNS activity and stress; conversely, a falling tone indicates decreased activity and relaxation. This is due to changes in skin pore size and electrolyte concentration in the pores.

If you question the efficacy of the GSR2, I suggest you look at the Thought Technology history page to see examples of how it has been used by 1000's of Olympic and professional athletes to teach relaxation and visualization skills for their sports, as well as by clinicians to use with their patients. Surely, they aren't training just movement artifact. I strongly suggest you test the unit again.

I designed the GSR2 because at the time, there were only large unwieldy laboratory style devices that required external electrodes. My goal was to make something ergonomic, which was totally self-contained, would run for years on a single 9 volt battery and which could be expanded to work with external sensors for temperature, respiration, meter display and PC.

In 1986, HES software sold our product for the PC as CalmPute. Leonard Nimoy was the spokesperson for company and was featured prominently on the CalmPute box. You can find loads more information at Thought Technology's website as well as just by doing a Google search.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes!!!, April 7, 2011
I read the book The Stress Answer; and Dr. Lawlis suggested to find the most inexpensive Bio-Feedback device and that is when I purchased this. This has saved my nine-year-old grandson's emotional life. His anxiety was so high, that it affected his behavior at school and could have been expelled or forced to take meds.

I could start seeing the difference in three-days and he loves it. It has been about a month now, and he is becoming a normal child. He loves feeling relaxed and normal. He loves doing his bio-feedback.

Thanks...

3.0 out of 5 stars I am not sure yet....., April 24, 2013
I read the instruction booklet, and listened to the cd.
I was too cheap to buy anything more expensive.

Maybe it is me, but, I find the noise extremely irritating.
If I set it to the lowest noise (sort of a 'low idle') it soon goes silent, when I begin to relax. I dontknow if it's supposed to do that or not.....

If I goof around with it a little bit, and set it so the noise will not go silent, then it is annoying.....and I feel myself tensing, and the noise level rises.....like fingernails on a chalkboard.
I dont have high bp, but I do have some stress in my life, and dont know if I can sit still long enough anymore to just meditate without a 'helper'. I will keep trying for a few more times, but, so far, dont like it.
I will try to check back in a few days.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing instrument, December 19, 2012
This unit is amazingly simple to use. I bought my first GSR over thirty years ago, and over the years , misplaced it. I looked it up again, and was pleased to see that it is still being manufactured. only now it has a C/D instead of a cassette. The GSR will th each one how to relax quicker and easier then any other method that I have ever tried. It's stone simple to use, and with a couple sessions, it's amazing how efficient the monitoring of your GSR (Galvanic Skin Resistance) feedback is able to train one to attain an alpha state.

5.0 out of 5 stars Item as described., August 30, 2012
Product is great! Makes very good use of training in thought stopping, mindfullness meditation and I also use it to assist in what breathing techniques work best for me to relieve stress. Everyone is different and this product really allows you to fine tune the skills that are necessary for yourself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun 2 Use, But not Applicably Effective in Real Life Situations, May 4, 2011
I brought my first GSR-2 unit in 2001 and another one in Feb 2011. I love to use for 30mins to another on some days. It does help me relax at the time when I am using the GSR-2 unit. I have to be honest here, I use it for a day or two then stop for months or even years. So, I am not a religious user of GSR like some folks are. I can relax when I am using the gsr unit, however, I find the relaxation effect does not last. Of course, the effects from tranquilizers do not last either. That is why you have to take a new dose every few hours. Fair enough, however, the effects from tranquilizers are effective in real life situations. For example, You take xanax because you have anxiety attacks in public places. The effect from xanax will subdued your anxiety(while you are in public places)for as long as the drug chemicals are in effect in your body. The GSR-2 effect is not like that. I notice I can relax while I am using it. However, when I am in a stressful situation and I am not using the gsr unit, I can not apply the relaxation effects. Perhaps, I am not using it correctly or long enough. This is where the limitations of applicability/applying the effects separate psych drugs and biofeedbacks like GSR-2 units. The effects from drugs are automatic and the chemicals forced the effects onto your body. With Biofeedback like GSR-2, you have apply the effects of the unit onto your body or brain. The thing is, you use biofeedback because your body or brain isn't working well... In other words, you might not be able to effect the changes on your brain or body because either or both will not cooporate....

After I have said all of the above, I do think the GSR-2 unit is worth buying. It's important to develop your own plans for using this device, since the enclosed instructions may not work for you. It's also important to know what exactly do you plan to acommplished with this device, and be realistic about your goals. Sometimes, drugs or doctors might save you time and money in the long run. GSR-2 gives you feedback of only one psychobio response, which is your level of nervous tension. It shows you what is your nervous tension at the moment, you might be able to change it by lowering it at the time. You might not be able to lower it during stressful situation when you are not using the GSR unit. It's well known when people become stressful their hand skin temps go down and their heart beats go up. However, most folks can not successfully control their heart rates or hand skin temps during stressful situations... the same might apply for GSR for you as well.. Good luck to you folks who do buy this device. I hope you will have better luck with it than I. take care.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good GSR hardware, November 14, 2011
KoiKeeper "KoiKeeper" (Orange County, New York, United States) - See all my reviews
Typical GSR in most respects but more solid than average.

I works okay. Oddly enough, the instructions refer to a pair of non-existent illustrations.

Instructions kind of fail to instruct; imho.

Lucky for me I already knew how it is supposed to work.

I got mine from "Bio-Medical" using their Amazon portal.

I initially took 2 stars off for not offering the complete GSR and thermometer kit via their Amazon portal, after reading my complaint they immediately offered the whole kit to Amazon Portal Customers !

That constitutes GREAT customer service responsiveness in my opinion.

I am impressed. If they bend over backwards to correct small item complaints; I bet you can trust them for big items too.

5.0 out of 5 stars the GSR2, a mirror of emotion, September 14, 2012
I use this product to show to others one of the effects that emotion has on physiology. The GSR2 provides a dramatic and thus memorable demonstration. It has personal usefulness as well in learning calmness. I recommend it. G.B. Camp, MD psychiatrist (ret)

2.0 out of 5 stars not as good as I expected, August 1, 2013
always hopeful (southern californa) - See all my reviews
Years ago I bought the Radio Shack $14.95 version of the galvanometer (skin resistance) unit. The low cost RS unit came with two velcro finger attachments. The only flaw with the Radio Shack unit was that the finger sensors eventually became less responsive. I don't know why. I suspect that they became corroded. I think there was some mention of there being "strands of silver" running throughout the sensor straps. At any rate, there was no real way to clean these contact surfaces. So, I tossed it out. But it worked surprisingly well... when it was working.

Enter the GSR2.

I had wanted to buy one of these several years ago. Since the price has only increased over the years, I thought I might as well buy it now as I figured it would only go up in price.

Here is why I only gave it 2 stars:

1. The printed instruction booklet. I refers to a figure that is nowhere to be found. "grab the device as in the figure... " The booklet clearly needs to be updated.
2. The CD is a poor copy of an apparent cassette that was included with the old unit. Audio frequency response of the CD is terrible. There is no high end.
3. The stainless steel finger "grooves" are unintentionally pressure sensitive. If you push on them slightly, the pitch of the oscillator rises! (Probably because the fingers are making better contact.)

I didn't return it since supposedly an optional set of finger sensors is supposed to be available. I haven't looked into this. But as it stands, I think the device is clearly ineffective.

It seems as though the unit was purchased by a company or individual that has decided to cash in on perhaps a once good product only to let its predecessor, the GSR2, offer less than stellar results. I can't say for sure since I don't have a GSR to compare it to. Obviously the design principals are sound ones. (The galvanometer is nothing new). But the implementation it in this case, leaves something to be desired.