5.0 out of 5 stars Would not have passed without it!!
Published on September 21, 2008 by Donald R. Poling

Published on March 5, 2009 by Rita S

5.0 out of 5 stars Would not have passed without it!!, September 21, 2008
This review is from: Basic Math and Pre-Algebra For Dummies (Paperback)
Amazing book! I HATED math in high school! When I found myself going to college at 35, the entrance exam with all the algebraic problems was all French to me...I took the Pre-Algebra prep course at the college but found the textbook to be overwhelmingly confusing. This book cured all that. The For Dummies series is one of the best inventions since the wheel and this volume helped me pass Pre-Algebra as well as showing me that math can actually be a better experience than going to the dentist.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for the Kinesthetic learner / No practice problems in the book, March 5, 2009
This review is from: Basic Math and Pre-Algebra For Dummies (Paperback)
This book, while well written, is not adequate for someone like me who learns better from doing and practicing. I am going back to school after a 12 year sabbatical and was nervous about having to take a college math class. Math has always been my worst subject and the old saying, for me, is true. "If you don't use it, you lose it". I know how to add, subtract, multiply, divide, and figure up percentages. As for working fractions some of the facts have escaped me and I remember nothing of Algebra. So, I got this book to help me remember how to do it. This book gives you a brief explanation of how to do it, again very briefly, and then they jump to a new subject. No practice problems for you to try to work the problem yourself to make sure you understand. If I don't practice by doing the problem myself I'm going to forget how to do it.

So, if you can do the math if someone just tells you how to do it, then you may like this book. If I wanted someone to rush through telling me how to do math and not give me any chance to try it out for myself I would have just asked my husband to tell me.

5.0 out of 5 stars So helpful!!, January 18, 2008
This review is from: Basic Math and Pre-Algebra For Dummies (Paperback)
I've been out of high school for almost 14 years and really need a refresher. These "dummies" books are great. The book explains math very well. A great help!

5.0 out of 5 stars HELP! I'm math challanged, December 22, 2011
This review is from: Basic Math and Pre-Algebra For Dummies (Paperback)
About me. I graduated in 1981 with a B.S. Degree, mainly liberal arts and have spent my time since then in sales. Back in the day IF had any great love or even a smidgen of natural ability in math then I would today be saying that I have spent the last 30 years in the medical technology field, not sales. But alas, if you are weak in math then forget science.

Well finally I have decided to face down the beast and correct this shortcoming and have enrolled in algebra 101 class at my local community college. In order to avoid having to take a basic math or pre-algebra class in a college setting, spending tuition money and a semester of time, I decided to self-study pre-algebra and put maximum effort into doing well on the COMPASS placement test. I selected Basic Math & Pre-Algebra for Dummies as my "main text" for my math skills "review". Actually "review" is not a good word, in my case I needed to start at the absolute beginning. I began my self-study 5 weeks prior to taking the COMPASS test and set aside a minimum of 1 hour per day for study.

So to answer the burning question how did I do on the COMPASS test, I can say that I'm placed in beginning algebra with plenty of breathing room and I truly believe that if I had a little more time, say another 2-4 weeks I would have placed into intermediate algebra. However and remember, I have no great love for math and my purpose now is not to simply collect college credits but rather to truly gain an understanding of math in general and algebra in particular.

I used this book along with the companion workbook for the first 4 weeks of my "review" and slowly the fog began to clear. In addition to this book, I used The Humongous Book of Basic Math & Pre-Algebra Problems by Michael Kelly and several internet COMPASS prep sites. The Dummies book was my main study guide. I recommend it as it is easy going, light and a good tool for someone like me, a person who just gets weak in the knees when faced with a math test. There are a few areas where this book seemed a little too brief, for example in explaining radicals, and that is where having the Humongous book came in handy. The two complemented each other and I found myself flipping back and forth between the two.

Self-help in general is rewarding but has it's limits. Buying the book(s) is the necessary first step but the student has to do his/her part. Once I complete algebra 101, I've decided to continue and take intermediate algebra in the summer session and college algebra in the fall. Such a concept would have been laughable just a year ago. This dummies book is going to be my reference for my math endevors for the immediate future and if I can say anything to someone who is in need or has the desire to learn algebra but lacks the ability this is the book to start with. For those like me that have this personal private war with math, make peace with your enemy. But be advised that it takes time and work and more time and more work. This book can be a big help, I give it two thumbs up!

UPDATE July 8, 2012 Algebra 101 (actually elementary algebra at a community college) has come and gone. Since then I have also completed intermediate algebra and college algebra. Three full semesters of community college algebra. I'm now in a position to take on higher math such as trig and calculus. My feelings about this book being a good place to start for an adult to overcome a negative attitude and learn those basic skills needed for higher math have not changed and have only increased. I gave this book to one of my classmates in a science class we both attended. This student was registered to take elementary algebra the following semester and the student wanted a good refresher and review. I would not have given this book away if I didn't think it was the best prep for an adult who is nervous about taking algebra in a college environment. If you have a desire to lean pre-algebra math but have always hated the subject, get this book, do every problem and be happy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic Math and Pre-Algebra for Dummies, January 29, 2011
This review is from: Basic Math and Pre-Algebra For Dummies (Paperback)
`Basic Maths and Pre-Algebra for Dummies' is a great place to go if you want to brush up on your math skills and have felt too intimidated before. In clear language and accessible format it guides your through key math concepts and introduces some basic algebra towards the end. It covers basic addition, subtraction, division and multiplication, as well as fractions, decimals and percents, graphs, geometry and stats, and basic algebra. This follows the typical `dummies' format, and if you have read any other of the dummies book you'll know what to expect. There is the slightly tongue in cheek text delivery, clear icons and obligatory part of tens at the back. I worked my way through this, accompanied with the workbook that goes with this, and my math skills increased incredibly. I realised I knew a lot of this information from school, but this book gave me the confidence to use it and it refreshed my memory about how certain equations are done. A great place to turn if you want to beat those maths demons.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars An efficient refresher!, August 25, 2010
This review is from: Basic Math and Pre-Algebra For Dummies (Paperback)
I had not done math and algebra in years: this book walks you through the entire process of learning Math (RE-learning in my case) and I must say that it does a pretty good job. Not all "For Dummies" books are equal (some are really useless in my humble opinion) but this specific book holds to its title and its content. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Though Not Perfect, October 3, 2009
This review is from: Basic Math and Pre-Algebra For Dummies (Paperback)
This book provides step-by-step explanations that are easy to understand. It assumes you know nothing without insulting your intelligence. All of the bases are covered, and they are covered in order. If you've been frustrated trying to learn math from those clueless about teaching, this book should provide some welcome relief. I did find a couple of inaccuracies which appeared to be typos. Other than that, I have no complaints.

WARNING: I can't say the same for the next book in this series: "Algebra 1 for Dummies." That book is written by a different author, and it's terrible.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great book!, November 5, 2008
Amazon Lover (spakelum, Mars) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Basic Math and Pre-Algebra For Dummies (Paperback)
Very well laid out and easy to understand, I refer back to it frequently as I have been preparing for the College entrance exam. First time back to school in 11 years.
I may get the companion work book because I am quickly learning that practice certainly makes perfect when it comes to math.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book for Dummies breaks it down, March 16, 2010
This review is from: Basic Math and Pre-Algebra For Dummies (Paperback)
I am an older person and I had been trying to learn pre-algebra before finding this book. In the past i had taken a pre-algebra course and had failed it due to not understanding the exponents and expressions. I saw this book and read the intro on it and was pleasantly surprised by what i read. I have the book and have been going thru it by chapter, and i have to say, the way the author has it written is a clearer description of how to work the problems.
I am really glad i bought this book. If you have trouble understanding pre-algebra, this book will clearly explain how to work the problems and break it down in simple english for you. I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to learn this subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent product, September 9, 2011
This review is from: Basic Math and Pre-Algebra For Dummies (Paperback)
I bought this book about a year ago I in my infinite wisdom as a teenager that knew it all quit school at age 15 and then realized over some years that the jobs provided and opportunities are very limited to someone that doesn't have a high school diploma or GED so I decided I would take the GED test and failed my math, and after several different books I came across this book it does an amazing job breaking down the math esp. if you haven't been through it or haven't done it in a long time. I also bought the Dummies Algebra I, I haven't got a review for it for now but would definitely recommend this the book and workbook as a starting place.

Basic Math and Pre-Algebra For Dummies
Basic Math and Pre-Algebra For Dummies by Mark Zegarelli (Paperback - October 1, 2007)
$19.99 $15.73