Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing May4th

on July 8, 2009
I was cautious selecting this title- the other reviews weren't too helpful, but I am so glad I chose this specific publication. I barely passed high school math and have all the usual math baggage associated with years of miserable stress and failure (add to that a father who was a professor of applied mathematics and mix in some exceptionally clever siblings). Now as a 34 year old, I wanted to see if I could use the logic skills I acquired as an adult and dabble in some vacation time algebra. I didn't want to study math in the sense of grasping long explanations, I wanted to see if I could do the math. I knew I would need explanations if I wanted to work out the sums, so I wasn't sure which book to choose- the study book or the workbook. The workbook provided me with exactly what I needed. Brief, but thorough explanations with examples and several questions of each type to work out. Even the answer section has step-by-step explanations and it was impossible not to get your head wrapped around the solutions. I could solve each and every problem without any assistance. I never used a calculator and loved revising things like long division and precentages. What impressed me most by the end of the book was how neatly the different sections (and principles)fitted together to form an entirely unintimidating whole. It alsmot seemed as beautiful as I secretly thought it should. I could now see why I failed math at school,and confirmed what I always suspected: everybody can follow the rules, and you don't have to be smart to do so. My deepest thanks to the author for this excellent work- it won't be a stretch to say that you have made the world a better place with this humble contribution. Thanks to the publishers too, for this meaningful series.
11 comment|170 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2009
If you only need a refresher and simple, understandable explanations- this book is perfect. I haven't formally done any of this for over 20 years- but this was very helpful.
on November 23, 2008
This book has a lot of good information for the beginer who wants to understand Pre algebra it tells you step by step and is easy to read and understand I highly recommend this book to any one who needs help in algebra or is needing to review and learn their algebra skills again.
on April 6, 2010
I bought the bundle of Basic Math and Pre-Algebra For Dummies plus the workbook. I started out trying to use them both but very quickly disregarded the book and worked only with the workbook. I figured I would reference the main book if I had any problems but ended up never using it at all. I have yet to receive my copy of Algebra for Dummies so I can't say that it doesn't pick up were this one leaves off, but I'm a little disappointed to see it's not by the same author.

Update 2014:

When I bought this book, it was because I was about to take a non-credit (as in, not actually college level) math class at the local community college and I wanted to catch up as I hadn't taken a math class since 8th grade and hadn't done well in one since 6th. I figured math wasn't really for me, and I was more of a creative type (or something). Obviously, I wasn't planning on taking any more math classes than I absolutely had to but this book gave me such a nice start that I got almost addicted to solving math problems. It set me up perfectly for that class, and the class after that, and the class after that, and ... I decided to keep taking math classes up through differential equations at the community college and now I'm at a university studying computer engineering. I recommend this book to anyone who is struggling with math - even at somewhat higher levels. It's not a waste of time to start from the beginning and figure out where the little holes in your education are, the holes that have been letting the newer things fall through and out your head and make you think you hate math. You don't hate it, I promise. If you can read, you can do math.
on January 29, 2011
`Basic Maths and Pre-Algebra Workbook for Dummies' is the accompanying workbook to the main dummies textbook of the same name. It is in a slightly larger format than the main book and is printed on much inferior paper, but the information inside is great. In some respects you don't need the main book to get the most from this workbook. Each chapter introduces the key concepts, shows you how to do the equations, then proceeds to provide some problems for you to solve, before giving the answers at the end of the chapter. You can get a great deal from this book alone and the main `Basic Maths and Pre-Algebra for Dummies' book only provides the same information but fleshes it out and goes into greater depth. If you're goal is to brush up on existing skills then you can quite easily buy this book on it's own. If it's to gain a fuller knowledge of math or if you're starting from scratch, then using both books is probably the better option. This follows the typical `dummies' format, and if you have read any other of the dummies book you'll know what to expect. There is the slightly tongue in cheek text delivery, clear icons and obligatory part of tens at the back. As I noted on my review for the main book, I worked my way through this, accompanied with the main book that goes with it, and my math skills increased incredibly. I realised I knew a lot of this information from school, but this book gave me the confidence to use it and it refreshed my memory about how certain equations are done. This is a good book to get some math practise and a great place to turn if you want to beat those maths demons.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on June 24, 2009
I bought this book for one of my host brothers, who is going to take Algebra I and needs some good brush up on basic stuff. This book really has everything you need to know to have a strong foundation for Algebra I. What also pleases me about this book is that the last chapter deals with stuff actually coming from Algebra I. So this book is not only a "basic-math" refresher but also a Algebra I introducer! Oh... did I mention that the language is also really simple and understandable?
on September 5, 2009
When I order this book I was hoping to find a way to figure out math as I prepare for my nursing entrance exam, and I got what I ordered this has been very helpful to someone who has been out of school since '79 I have already conquered the dreaded fractions, I would recommend this book to anyone needing a refresher on math.
on October 7, 2011
After always struggling with math, and not being able to pass the lpn entrance exam, i purchased this book. IT WAS AMAZING! I LEARNED MORE FROM THIS BOOK THEN 4 YRS OF HIGH SCHOOL MATH! i would recommend any potential nursing student to buy this book to refresh their basic math skills. i also found it helpful to buy another book called review guide for lpn/lvn entrance exam also on amazon. it has test questjons that are great!
on January 6, 2009
I loved it and it was very helpful I wish it had more algebra in it
on June 9, 2009
I feel the workbook is a lot of help.

I feel the operation signs: could have been in a larger type size. It would be easy to misinterpret the division and addition signs if you weren't working in good light, and your eyesight wasn't 20/20. Otherwise I like and recommend the book.

I'm going to get a magnifying glass.