5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly written to empower any of us on this topic
Published on January 15, 2008 by C. A. Sanders

3.0 out of 5 stars Good introductory book
Its a good introductory book. I guess it pretty good for those who are putting together plastic kits that they bought from a store. Not really what I was looking for but its okay for beginners.
Published on April 1, 2011 by Karen M. Rhodes

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly written to empower any of us on this topic, January 15, 2008
This review is from: Basic Structure Modeling for Model Railroaders (Model Railroader Books) (Paperback)
I wrote instructive technical weather articles for pilots for a number of years, and I know first hand how difficult it is to convey new concepts and techniques to people who are unfamiliar with a topic. Jeff Wilson has created a PERFECT book on structure modeling for model railroads. Without a doubt this is the very best I've seen on any model railroad topic. The keys to his success lie not only in his clear, concise and complete writing style, but also in the visual support through an abundance of photographs which detail what he's trying to teach. I immediately bought his other book, Basic Painting and Weathering after reading the first. And I will order any others he produces sight unseen. You simply cannot go wrong. Your success is immediate with this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars So you want to be on the cover of model railroader?, May 16, 2007
If this is your goal then the book will serve as valuable introduction to the subject. It provides a great introduction to creating model structures that are more then "glue and glop" jobs. As someone who just entered into the hobby, I did not have a stack of back copies for either Model Railroader or Model Railroad Craftsman. Consequently, I did not have the knowledge to create fine structures at my disposal. Without purchasing this book I would have been subject to a great deal of experiential learning. Given the price of many structures, such a path would have got me in trouble with wife. This book saved me a huge amount of time and error, and got me to the point were I can create a very nice model. All in all, the price was justified by the store of useful information contained within the covers. So if you need an introduction to topic, get this work.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for every MR Hobbyist!, May 25, 2007
This is a gold mine of information, especially for the beginner. Little things mean a lot, especially with putting together a structure. You can take some or many of the tips & tricks shown in this book for a multitude of kit types, to make your buildings look more realistic. I was very pleased at Jeff's descriptions, his ideas, simple explanations, and pictures (lots o' those) on how to bring Model Railroad buildings "more to life". It doesn't get into a lot of the lighting, so you may wish to look for more on that elsewhere, but for everything else, this is THE REFERENCE BOOK TO HAVE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good info for a new structure modeller, July 10, 2010
David J. Schuster (Summerfield, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
While not new to model railroading I have not successfully built many structures. After purchasing "Basic Scenery for Model Railroads" and enjoying it so much I purchased this book to help me get started with structures. I am not disappointed. This book has been great to show what to do, and not do, as I develop my talents with buildings for my railroad. All I need now is to gain more experience. I highly recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good introductory book, April 1, 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tutorial for building plastic model kits., February 20, 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed this book with the many color pictures to illustrate the instructions being provided. I consider myself an intermediate model railroader and I learned alot from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have modeling book, August 10, 2013
The author takes you from the basics to more advanced techniques in a way that is easy to understand and apply. I have learned much about the various tools and techniques that are not all that difficult to use once they are explained properly and the author explains things very well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well laid out and easy to follow, May 16, 2013
Has given me some good tips for further model making and has good information on different manufacturers.
This would be a good reference source for new to reasonably experienced railway modellers or wargamers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, December 7, 2012
This book was very helpful. If your just starting out in models this is a great book. I loved it. Nothing bad about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beginner to pro in one simple book, July 28, 2012
I am really impressed by this book. I don't have a lot of experience in model building beyond my poor childhood attempts but Jeff Wilson does an excellent job in this book to bring anyone up to speed.

The color pictures are helpful and the main text referrences those pictures faithfully. The text is very easy to read which was a big surprise. Wilson does a good job of emphasizing practices he feels are essential to the realism of a structure. He also does a good job of presenting multiple methods when those methods produce successful looking results.

The best thing about this book is that he is very candid with the tools, glues, paints, brushes, model and parts manufacturers,...etc which he finds the best. He provides the model numbers for the 9 brushes he uses as well as the paint id numbers for best colors for brick. He does not shy away from expressing his preferrences on materials. This attribute may polarize more seasoned modelers against him (if they have a difference of opinion on suppliers) but I found it refreshing to have that insider knowledge from a pro.

I randomly bought this book, expecting that after a couple attempted read throughs I would set it on my bookshelf where it would gather dust but I have not put it down since I got it. I wish Jeff Wilson had a book on scenery!

Basic Structure Modeling for Model Railroaders (Model Railroader Books)
$19.95 $15.57