I am a UBC Okanagan graduate student working on an interdisciplinary MA focused on water governance. This term during an ethnographic methods course I was introduced to Corbin and Stuass's 'Basics of qualitative research 3e' and the software MAXQDA10. I purchased the book online during class.

This book provides a novice ethnographic researcher with valuable...
Published on April 3, 2011 by limnos

3.0 out of 5 stars 3rd Edition - Still needs editing
Published on March 23, 2008 by M. Wolfenstein

3.0 out of 5 stars 3rd Edition - Still needs editing, March 23, 2008
This review is from: Basics of Qualitative Research: Techniques and Procedures for Developing Grounded Theory (Paperback)
The bottom line with this book is that, while it delivers the goods in terms of an introduction to grounded theory, it's poorly written for a 3rd edition. By the time a text book is in its third version it should be tight, and I'm afraid this book just isn't. Structurally the book is basically fine, but I found myself mentally editing various sentences and paragraphs as I read it because it simply wasn't written very well. This is particularly annoying for a pair of respected qualitative researchers, seeing as language is the stock and trade of qualitative work.

Additionally, I felt like it was a little terminology heavy for terms that are not universally accepted as common language for discussing qualitative research, but I'm more forgiving in this latter regard. We are generally a bit challenged in the field when it comes to common language, and there remains a residual need to demarcate one's academic territory.

Three stars . . . it could have earned 4 with better writing/editing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Valuable ethnographic research (grounded theory) methods text book, April 3, 2011

This book provides a novice ethnographic researcher with valuable insights into the methods and context required to support grounded theory work. This text will serve social science researchers well; especially anthropology majors interested in applying the principles of grounded theory to support and context one's methods work. This book also provides a good overview and helpful hints for using using coding software MAXQDA10 - which is another helpful, and reasonably priced analytical tool for graduate researchers.

I would highly recommend this book to any aspiring ethnographer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Detailed & descriptive., December 21, 2009
I purchased this text to gather the step by step information on understanding and following appropriate qualitative research analysis protocol. It has been some years since I studied this area. I found this text to be helpful in this respect. It is a bit dense and complex in use of terminology at times. But I found I had a better understanding of the principles and rules attached to conducting good qualitative research analysis.

3.0 out of 5 stars Book arrived with all pages..., February 6, 2014
But the first chapter fell out when I opened it. After taping things back together, it's all good. I needed the text for my last doctoral studies class, and didn't need a new book, but having the pages intact would have been nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Helpful explanations for a amateur researcher, July 5, 2013
I'm a grad student and was desperately looking for a book to help me learn how to use grounded theory for my data. Buying this book was probably the best decision I could have made. Very clear explanations and helpful examples provided by Corbin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource!!!, April 20, 2013
Excellent resource to conduct a research project, easy to read, an the research example proposed by the authors are very interesting and has a lot of examples to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent guide, January 26, 2013
This book is written in very accessible language, It covers all the concepts encompassed by Grounded Theory. I have found it very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource, January 12, 2013
This is a great book. If you are doing anything other than generic or basic research-buy it. If you are doing generic or basic research, it may not help as much as you would like.

4.0 out of 5 stars content review, August 7, 2011
The book offers a basic description of what a qualitative study is all about - it gives step by step guidance even a new researcher student will not find any problem in understanding. The language used is simple and very comfortable for reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST up-to-date book on Grounded Theory!!, January 21, 2010
This book is a must!! It responded to all the other GT critics/methods and explains the steps in easy-to-understand terms.

$72.00 $64.00