The manufacturer commented on the review below
4.0 out of 5 stars Great product. Wish hr monitor worked better
Recently got rid of a fitbit force because of the "rash" and went with this instead. Had this for about a week and definitely like it better then the fitbit.

Pros:
-looks good and is very comfortable. May be too large for many women however.
Published 10 months ago by J. R. M.

The manufacturer commented on the review below
3.0 out of 5 stars Beware of what you're getting for $200. Big disappointment.
Published 10 months ago by D. Graves

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
4.0 out of 5 stars Great product. Wish hr monitor worked better, February 2, 2014
This review is from: Basis Health Tracker for Fitness, Sleep & Stress (2014 Ed.) (Electronics)

Pros:
-looks good and is very comfortable. May be too large for many women however.
-the habits with daily/weekly goals and earning points to unlock more habits is definitely more motivational than the fitbit goals/software
-sleep tracking is the best I've seen. Shows details about sleep quality and type. Automatically senses when you are asleep and awake. No buttons to push
-watch feature is always on. You don't have to push a button every time you want to see the time
-website shows a lot of useful ways to view your data
-very accurate. Seems like more accurate then the force was for counting steps
-able to tell if I'm simply taking steps, waking at an intensity to qualify for cardiovascular activity, running, or biking (real biking only-cant sense stationary biking) automatically. It then automatically records my activities that were greater than 10 minutes for record keeping as well as providing detailed data for review
-hr monitor is very accurate compared to manual pulse taking and with a pulse oximeter.

Cons
-hr monitor looses the ability to pick up hr with vigorous activity. The same thing happens with a pulse oximeter (uses similar optical technology). If you are moving to much it can't consistently get the heart rate. It will pick up various points during your exercise which you can view on the website later. If you want continuous feedback on hr during exercise you will need to wear a chest strap type monitor. In general with non vigorous activity it does well but does loose contact occasional with other arm movements and walking as well. I would like to see this improved.
-doesn't show distance traveled. I could see them adding this in a future firmware update hopefully. Should be a simple software code to convert your number of steps to distance based in guys height which they already have you input into your profile.
-can't download your data outside of the website. Not everyone cares about this but some do. I have seem on the basis website that they are planning to make this feature available.

Overall I think it is the best fitness tracker currently available.

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 7:03:18 PM PST
(MANUFACTURER)
Thank you for your review of the Basis Carbon Steel Edition. We're glad you are enjoying it!

We are glad that you are finding our Healthy Habits system motivating - it's designed to help people set small goals that add up to big improvements in their health. This is an aspect of our system that we are very proud of because it delivers on our mission of keeping people engaged in their health.

Your feedback about our HR tracking is appreciated and we have passed your suggestion about distance traveled along to our product team. We are planning to make our data available to sync with other applications sometime this year, but haven't published a specific timeline for this.

Glad you like your Basis band over your most recent tracker. We always appreciate your feedback!

5.0 out of 5 stars Every breath you take, every move you make..., April 8, 2014
The Basis is watching you :)

Basis is not perfect and it doesn't monitor 'everything, everywhere' - won't be swimming with it - but it's good enough and comfortable enough for me to actually keep it on my wrist and it's likely to stay this way until something 'better' comes about.

DISLIKES

Let me begin with what I dislike about the Basis, just to get it out of the way, then I am going to describe my experience of wearing it for the past two weeks, very much 24 by 7. So, here it is what I don't like about the Basis:

- Has to be charged every 3-4 days and you MUST use the very proprietary Basis charger. I understand why the charger must be proprietary: can't have it both waterproof and still have a standard USB port but I'd be so much happier if I could get away with once per week charging sessions.
- There is no quick way to speak to a support person. You will have to email them and they will respond as soon as they can. In my case (see below), they got back to me in about 12-16 hours but they warn you that they can't guarantee a 'same day' or even 'next day' response.
- Doesn't automatically sync with all Android devices. They do have a list of supported models and I'm not going to do the Android-sync anyway (will explain below) but anyone with a smart phone, you should know that Android auto-sync may or may not work for you.

THE WATCH

Almost everything else about the Basis, I like, very much.

On the 'watch' itself, you will be shown:

- time and date
- number of steps (count resets at midnight)
- calories burned (again, since midnight)
- time spent walking and calories burned while walking
- time spent running and calories burned while running
- current heart rate

All of the above appear to be quite accurate. I watched the step count changing while walking and, surprisingly, the estimate of calories burned on a treadmill session from Basis was very much in agreement with what my ProForm treadmill showed. Even better, while on the treadmill, the Basis accurately credited the minutes I spent in the warm-up and cool-off parts of my routine to 'walking' and only counted the actually running as time spent running. I'm impressed.

Wearing the Basis is as comfortable as wearing any other wristwatch. I will confess that it's for the first time in many, many years that I have something strapped to my wrist because I couldn't justify a wristwatch in this day and age but, now that we have the Basis, I'll be wearing a 'watch' again. I heard that some complained of rashes and it's possible that not everyone can tolerate this. There are several types of sensors on the back of the watch, including two little laser or light-emitting devices and several 'bumps' that gave me a slight electric shock when I touched them with my fingertip but I never feel that while the watch is strapped on my wrist, probably because my skin there is not as sensitive as my fingertips. Overall, for me, no discomfort. The makers suggest to take it in the shower but I don't do that because I see no benefit in doing it.

THE SITE

To be able to use the Basis you need to register it which is done by providing a valid email address. You then provide some basic bio data: gender, age, weight. On a Windows computer I had to install a 'Sync' app and could view my stats at site to which I authenticate with the supplied email address and a password. The email can be anything for as long as it's 'valid' and for the purpose of my evaluation I used a service that makes up unique email addresses and then handles all back and forth correspondence which is a good way to preserve some privacy.

The site has more information than you can get out of the watch little display and has it all stored, presumably forever. The watch doesn't provide anything on your sleep but you can see it all at the site. It keeps track of your 'deep sleep' vs. 'light sleep' vs. REM sleep and it even counts your 'toss and turns' overnight and it assigns you a sleep score. It's all explained at the site. There is even more data that the watch collects but it doesn't display. You can get charts on heart rate, steps and calories with counts for every single hour of your monitored life but also on perspiration and skin temperature which are not displayed by the watch directly.

The 'Insights' section produces daily summaries of whatever it is that you do including number of steps taken, calories burned, heart rate, hour slept and the quality of your sleep. In other words... amazing.

And, since competition, against ourselves if that's the only option, is built in our DNA, the site lets you set various goals and keeps track of your actually fulfilling your promises which can be something like running for so many minutes each day. The more you stick to your goals, the more goals you unlock. It's good feedback.

MY EXPERIENCE WITH BASIS

This is one of the few gadgets that I'm going to use for quite a while - see above why. There were a few glitches during the first few days where the Basis seemed to stop monitoring for a few minutes at a time or stopped being responsive to controls but it's stable now, following the big crash.

The big crash happened after I charged the Basis for the third time. Once I got it off the charger, it stopped responding to controls showing nothing but the time. Even more worrisome, the 2 little green lasers seemed to be on continuously. My attempts to sync with the computer failed several times, then a successful sync completed but the watch was still unresponsive. I then attempted a reset which is done through the sync app but that didn't do anything either. I then went to the site, looking for help but... there are no phone number to call. In the end, I accepted the reality of no real time help availability and I emailed Basis, explaining what was going on. I didn't feel encouraged by their warning that it may take a few days before someone gets back to me.

Shortly after my email went out I received an auto-response that suggested that I held the big 'Bluetooth' side button pressed until the watch resets itself, which may solve my problem. I did and... success. The Basis worked perfectly ever since. As far as the email I sent out, I received a reply from a human person the following morning, offering to send me an immediate replacement.

To make it short, I am very happy with the Basis now and I hope it won't break anytime soon because I would miss it if it stopped working now.

FIVE STARS FOR A 'NOT PERFECT' GADGET

Amazon's 5 stars stand for 'I love it' not for 'It's perfect' and love the Basis I do. This is one device that appears to accurately keep track of 'everything' that's in scope and, besides the 'remember to charge it every 3 or 4 days' part, all is well.

_________________________________________________________________

NOTE: I received this item for review through Amazon's Vine program but Vine posted my review to a near-identical but different model. I am posting my review here at manufacturer's suggestion.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
3.0 out of 5 stars Beware of what you're getting for $200. Big disappointment., February 2, 2014
I had big expectations for the new Basis tracker. The B1, the previous model, was very good in some aspects, seriously lacking in others. The hope that the Carbon Steel (aka 2014 or B2) would address those flaws and be the gold standard of trackers is, sadly, an unfulfilled one. A much better band than the B1, but that - and the better looks of the carbon steel bezel - are about it. Better paint job and a deluxe Italian leather steering wheel cover - same car.

I have been sort of at the forefront of tracker development for the past year or so, being one of the first to acquire the Fitbit Flex (at CES 2013), and have the highest-rated review for the Flex: Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity + Sleep Wristband, Black. I very much like the way Basis is developing their tracker watches. Far superior to the bands from Fitbit, Jawbone, Nike, et al. Their focus on total integration (watch, pedometer/accelerometer, heart-rate monitor, calorie-burn count, etc.) is what sets them apart from their competitors.

But here's the "however": However, the Carbon Steel is simply not a success in that integration of sensors and data generation, for reasons set forth below. My bottom line advice is to wait for the next iteration of the Basis, or a more successful try from one of their competitors. If you can live with the flaws and shortcomings I point out and $200 is nothing to you, it's certainly not a terrible product and may be worth a try. Personally, I would wait. The technology is evolving quickly in this area.

Basis and Fitbit have a lot in common in their quest to create the perfect tracker: they both focus on high-tech aspects of tracker development but in implementing the cutting-edge technology, they either neglect or push to the side simpler technology users want and often need. For example, the sleep analysis feature of the Basis and Fitbit trackers: it's a gimmick of sorts as all it's doing is registering movement. No movement equals restful sleep, multiple movements in a time frame equal restless, etc. As someone who has had this ability since I acquired the original Flex at CES 2013, trust me, it's next to useless information unless you have a legitimate medical problem like sleep apnea. So, the Carbon Steel will "analyze" your sleep. Great. But it WON'T tell you something simple like the distance you walked or ran (yes, it does NOT have that capacity!)? Or simply show you your heart rate while you're exercising like a $25 Timex heart-rate watch will (yes, you can NOT see your heart rate WHILE you exercise, only in later analysis)?

The lack of distance calculation is just mind-boggling and I don't have a clue why it's absent. As for the heart-rate, Basis can at least give us the capacity to add an HR chest band so that we CAN actually see our heart rate (the Basis monitors your HR from your inside wrist - facing the back of the watch - so I imagine there's some problem acquiring real-time HR like a chest strap HRM can do). But millions of people NEED to see their heart rate, either to stay in a particular zone or, like me, to see that my HR doesn't go past a certain level for cardiovascular reasons. Don't market this touting its heart-rate monitor when it does NOT give a viewable heart rate. Basis thinks I'm going to wear ANOTHER HR watch that CAN show me my HR - AND wear the Carbon? Think again. Next time, try adding an option for an external HR strap. If a tiny app on my PHONE can do this (integrate a signal from a chest strap), I'm sure you can figure it out too, Basis. [Yes, I can run with my phone instead of a separate HRM watch but the whole point of the type of tracker watch Basis is trying to develop - and, yes, they ARE trying, don't get me wrong - is to NOT have to use separate devices.]

As I state in the title of the review, just be aware of what you're actually getting for your $200. For $75 you can buy a decent HR watch AND a decent pedometer and get SUPERIOR information about your exercise: you can see your heart rate, you can see your mileage, and much more (and you can feed the data into software for analysis). Basis will probably successfully integrate the high-tech AND the simple in the near future but I personally would not spend $200 on this. I would wait. If $200 is nothing to you, then fine: Basis is, in fact, far superior to Fitbit in many aspects, particularly in their effort to integrate heart-rate in the first place (which Fitbit ignores yet claims highly-accurate calorie burn counts - which is impossible without heart rate data).

Summer is about 5 months away (when people exercise most). The way trackers are being developed these days, I'm pretty sure there will be something superior to the Carbon Steel by then or a bit later. I would wait for something better.

-------
RESPONSE TO MANUFACTURER'S COMMENT:

While I think this is a cordial and constructive comment, I think marketing people get too caught up in the talking points and nomenclature of a product (e.g., 'Advanced Sleep Analysis', 'Healthy Habits system', etc.) and tend to spin subjects, not address them directly. Though I can appreciate the fact that Basis puts more effort into sleep analysis than Fitbit, my essential point - having had an ability to do this with my Flex for nearly a year now - is that it is of low value other than to self-diagnose a medical condition like apnea. Okay, with the Basis you can analyze myriad sleep patterns. Great. Aside from apnea, etc., what are you going to DO with this information? Trust me, after a week, the novelty of being able to see how you sleep wears off. And wears off. Until you don't care anymore. But there are people who may see a less than ideal sleep analysis and decide that sleep aids (drugs) will help - and that is a slippery slope for sure.

My major complaint was the inability to see heart rate during exercise. Just to illustrate my point here, if some company made just two simple products, a heart-rate watch and a sleep analysis watch, which is going to sell better? The HRM will outsell the other by 30 to 1 or more. Polar, Timex and others have sold tens of millions of HRMs. Millions of people NEED to see their HR during exercise, millions more want to see it. Sleep analysis is 1/100th as needed, wanted, or useful. To be dismissive of this fact ("While other devices might provide users with ... heart rate tracking during exercise, we focus on data concerning other aspects of your health such as automatic sleep ... tracking"), is simply spin. You adequately addressed the complaint by saying that it was valid and that you would pass it along to R&D. Stop there, don't try to posture and make it seem like Basis is superior because it focuses on sleep instead of heart rate. The opposite is true: the average buyer may be initially intrigued by sleep analysis (hence a marketing dept.'s focus on it) but a viewable heart rate in a tracker watch is far more valuable. And that value continues for the life of their $200 watch, not dissipate after a few days like the novelty of sleep analysis.

UPDATE 2/21/2014: After months of speculation about what Apple's iWatch would be like, it's been revealed that it will be - by far - the world's most sophisticated fitness tracker. Google it to see the articles from the past few days (filter out older articles as they contain inaccurate speculation). And as the iWatch is close to being available, I reiterate my advice to wait rather than spend $200 on this Basis watch. Knowing Apple, however, $200 may seem cheap compared to what they'll want for the iWatch (maybe).

UPDATE 3/26/2014: Basis has been bought out by Intel (Basis had been shopping themselves around for months). And as Intel does not market consumer exercise products, they probably scooped up Basis to integrate the technologies Basis developed into their processors. In other words, don't be surprised if this is the last product Basis markets and that your online account disappears in the near future. Who knows, Intel may keep Basis alive; but I wouldn't bet on it.

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 7:00:19 PM PST
(MANUFACTURER)
Thanks for your detailed review, we've gotten a lot of great feedback from tracker enthusiasts like you. We're glad that you like the way we're developing our product and appreciate that you consider us superior to Fitbit, Jawbone and Nike.

Integrating distance traveled and a chest strap accessory are great feature suggestions. We're always looking for ways to improve our feature set and we've passed along your suggestions to our product team.

Regarding our Advanced Sleep Analysis feature, while other sleep trackers might be solely motion based, Basis integrates other data captured from our sensors including heart rate data to provide a more detailed profile of the wearer's sleep, including REM Sleep, Deep Sleep, Light Sleep, Toss & Turn, Interruptions and Duration (these are detected automatically without the need to push a button). We've partnered with leading research institutions: UCSF, San Francisco VA Medical Center and NCIRE to develop our algorithms and we will continue to refine those algorithms to ensure our users are getting the most accurate picture of their sleep.

While other devices might provide users with distance and heart rate tracking during exercise, we focus on data concerning other aspects of your health such as automatic sleep and activity tracking, and our Healthy Habits system was developed to encourage users to continually make small changes that improve their health over time.

As a minor point of clarification, there is no "B2" model. The 2014 Carbon Steel Edition is the culmination of incremental improvements made to the B1 band to improve the look, feel and fit.

Basis is always evolving and striving to provide our users with the most advanced health tracker. Thanks for your feedback - it's an invaluable part of our development.

1.0 out of 5 stars So sad it doesn't work..., May 30, 2014
Would have LOVED to have kept this device! Loved all the features.. WHEN it worked! Didn't record several walks, and this week wouldn't download into my account... Too new and too much money for it not to work properly this early in the game... Less than 3 weeks.

Posted on Jun 4, 2014 7:38:03 PM PDT
(MANUFACTURER)
Hi Melinda, have you contacted our support team at support(at)mybasis(dot)com? They would be more than happy to help get to the bottom of this and get your band working again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Plusses and Minusses vs. Fitbit, July 9, 2014
Dean Donovan (Irving, TX USA) - See all my reviews
Good device overall. I have used it for about 3 months now. I previously had a Fitbit Flex and so have some experience to compare the two. The things I like and dislike about this device vs. the Fitbit --

* The habits framework is a more useful construct than the Fitbit goals framework. Easy to see your performance etc and some great ways to view goals that I simply didn't see on Fitbit. For example, consistent bedtime and ongoing activity are both good ways to measure activity during the day.
* Fitbit was better about giving you steps, stairs etc. feedback directly on the device with vibration etc. I do like the expanding bar for the steps counter. Not sure why a device this sophisticated does not have a stairs counter on it.
* The sleep monitor works much better than Fitbit. The Fitbit version is basically useless as you have to remember to turn it on and off.
* The strap is far superior to the Fitbit strap. It actually stays on your wrist.
* I like the heart rate monitor, but it only works some of the time. It is useless during heavy exercise as it can't get a reading.
* Charging is a mess especially when combined with the synching issues (see below). The battery does not last long -- only a couple of days. This is much shorter than my experience with Fitbit. When the battery runs down and the device turns off you lose the data if you have not synched the device. Given the cumbersome nature of the synch procedures, I have lost a lot of data over time.
* Synching is also horrible. You have to press a button to synch to the cell phone as opposed to the auto synch on the Fitbit. It takes a long time for the device to synch, the range is not good on the blue tooth and the synch often fails. This means you need to stop and focus on the mobile synch to get it done. The synch to PC works fine, but for me is typically less convenient. The result -- lots of data loss when the device loses its charge.
* Calorie counting. Feels more accurate on this device. Perhaps due to the heart rate monitor etc. Calorie count seems to follow actual physical effort better than on the Fitbit. I play a lot of tennis and the Fitbit device was terrible at capturing that activity.

Posted on Jul 16, 2014 3:35:53 PM PDT
(MANUFACTURER)
Glad you're enjoying you Basis band. We appreciate you feedback and your detailed review. We'll be sure to pass this on to the team

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Not ready for prime time - and causes a rash in warm weather, March 6, 2014
Silea (Pacific Northwest) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Summer Update!

I dug up my Basis, charged it, and strapped it back on one warm spring day. I was curious how Basis would register all the yard work i was going to do that day. It was no better than before (it even gave me 2k steps for using the riding mower for an hour). I kept it on overnight to see their newfangled sleep monitoring, then took it off in the morning for a shower.

I have a Basis-shaped rash on my wrist.

I don't know if it's from the material itself, but i doubt it, since i had no trouble in the cooler months. I think it's just the completely non-breathable material and the fact that it has to be pretty snug on your wrist to take any readings. Add a tiny bit of sweat to that, and it's pretty vile.

The rash isn't dreadful, but it is uncomfortable enough that i switched my Up band to my other wrist until it heals.

This device will not get a third chance from me.

---
(Original Review, March 6, 2014)

I've been wearing this on my wrist right next to my Up band, so i could do a compare and contrast with identical inputs. Let's take just the past two days:

Tuesday:
Basis::
3142 steps
10h8m sleep (9h5m at night)
Up::
1831 steps
8h40m sleep (at night)

Wednesday:
Basis::
2781 steps
10h59m sleep (8h25m at night)
Up::
1356 steps
8h5m sleep (at night)

As you can see, the step counts are wildly different. Nearly a factor of two on Tuesday, and more than a factor of two on Wednesday. And while it's passingly good at guessing my overnight sleep, it likes to assume i'm napping a lot during the day. Here's an incomplete list of activities that the Basis assumes are naps: reading, watching TV, working at the computer, and attending meetings. Granted, all of those are very sedentary activities, which is why it's vital that fitness trackers have some way for you to tell the device when you're actually sleeping and when you're just being a human vegetable. Further, the Basis consistently registered only about half as much deep sleep as the Up when i was actually sleeping.

I did a few experiments trying to track down why exactly my Basis wanted me to feel very good about my activity levels, to the point that it would baldly lie. Tuesday morning i checked the Basis every stage in my morning routine. Zero. So i synced my Up, and it too said zero. Odd. Wednesday morning, instead of checking every little while, i waited an hour, then synced both. Basis said 247 steps, while my Up read a nice round 50. That's nearly a factor of five.

The heartrate monitor is nearly comical. I was waiting at a red light, daydreaming and relaxed, and decided to check my Basis's read. 129 beats per minute! More than double, if you're wondering, what i counted by actually checking my pulse. A minute later it read 88, which was probably accurate given how hard i was laughing.

There are a few inexplicable things, too. For example, it won't give you sleep data if you sync within 30 minutes of getting up. Even if you do a manual sync. Is it a big problem with users sleep-syncing? And the iPhone app gives you extremely granular sleep data, but only total step-count. The website gives rather granular step-data, which is the most inexplicable thing of them all. If i count up the individual steps on the bar chart, it doesn't even total up to my Up's tabulation, but somehow the site adds it up to something more than twice the Up's.

The device also thinks i'm daydreaming when i'm on the eliptical, and since there's no way to tell it 'i'm exercising in a way that doesn't move my arms like walking or running', i get zero step/calorie credit for it. Heck, i can even take the Up off my wrist and put it on a belt loop when i'm walking with a shopping cart or stroller, but the Basis can tell i've taken it off and starts minding its own business.

Okay, so the really really short version is this - the list of things the Basis does better than the Up:
1) Stays in place on my wrist
2) Shows the time
(3) Shows your current step count, but that hardly matters when the numbers are made up)

The device, app, and website all need major work before this product can be useful.

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 3:51:54 PM PDT
(MANUFACTURER)
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review.

We're sorry that the Basis Carbon Steel Edition band wasn't a good fit for you at this time. Our heart rate, perspiration, motion and body temperature sensors have been tested thoroughly in order to provide a profile of your all day health. With these sensors, the Basis band is able to automatically detect walking, running, biking, step count, REM sleep, deep sleep, light sleep as well as tosses and turns. No other tracker provides this level of insight.

We encourage you to contact support(at)mybasis(dot)com for technical troubleshooting. They can answer any questions you might have and help you get a replacement if you have a defective unit.

Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts. We're always striving to improve our features and take customer feedback very seriously.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sudden Adult Death Syndrome, February 13, 2014
F. L. Young (Coral Gables, FL USA) - See all my reviews
I've had the B1 for 10 days and have owned or still own a Fitbit One, Fitbit Force, Jawbone UP24, and Polar Loop.

Let's get the good out of the way first. It's such a short list. 1) This thing counts steps pretty accurately. 2) It miraculously knows when I get on and off my bicycle. 3) It's kind of cool to look down an see your pulse when that feature is actually working.

Now for the bad. One of the things the B1 purportedly does an outstanding job of is tracking your sleep including a great amount of detail. The first night I slept with it, it said I died in my sleep and miraculously recovered 59 minutes later. The next night, I died FOUR TIMES for periods of 37, 47, 77, and 17 minutes.

I really wanted this thing to work. I wanted it to work so bad I shaved my left wrist. Really! The night I shaved my wrist I was rewarded with a death-free 10 hours of sleep. Unfortunately, I began dying in my sleep again the very next day and have died in my sleep between once and thrice every night since. Sometimes for dozen minutes. Sometimes longer. Last night I lay there dead for 4 full hours before the urge to go to the bathroom brought me back to life! Seems that, if they cannot get a heart rate in the middle of the night, they presume you are awake. I presume that, if I am supine and have no pulse, I must be dead.

So the thing that really sets the Basis apart from the crowd is the always-on heart rate monitoring. I think we have already established it it doesn't work worth a damn if you are lying in bed. I can also tell you that it is pretty sketchy if you are walking, running, or biking. I'm still trying to figure out why it worked brilliantly in a spin class that nearly DID actually kill me.

There is no MyFitnessPal support/integration/API sharing. For me, an activity monitor is primarily for making me less lazy and auto-magically telling MFP if I've moved around enough to get an exercise calorie credit and have something tasty for dinner. I don't want to enter it manually. All of the Fitbit and Jawbone products synch up without any effort on my part. Unless an activity monitor does this, I'm not going to use it unless it does something really special like Basis's much ballyhooed new sleep analytics package which I think we have established cannot even tell if I am alive much less in REM sleep.

If I don't get an indication from Basis support pretty soon offering to exchange my band because it is defective, I'm going to send it back. So far, all I have gotten from support are a long list of the limitations inherent in the Basis approach to activity monitoring. I cannot imagine why ANYONE would pay a premium for this kind of fitness monitoring if this is really as good as it gets. Hard to believe $32 million in VC money has been flushed down this particular toilet.

So ... save your money and buy a Fitbit One. Better yet, spend the same amount of money and get a One for yourself and your Valentine! Do get some activity tracker. It will change your life.

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite disappointing, July 10, 2014
I've been extremely patient and forgiving with Basis for the past two months, and tried to avoid writing this review for as long as I could. But here it goes: if Basis is not your first health/activity tracker, chances are you will be really, really disappointed.

Basis battery life is unreliable and unpredictable (with any preciseness). Two times I went camping for 4 days, both times I had fully charged Basis with me (bluetooth off) that lasted not 4 days (enough to get back home and charge), but around 2 or 3 days. Do not rely on battery life, it may or may not hit the promised 4 days more or less sporadically.

Basis will lose your data. It will be a shock for those of you who used to wear Fitbit (Fitbit lost 0 seconds of my activity data in 3 years). Basis will occasionally and sporadically lose 8 to 48 hours of your activity data a month upon syncing. In my world, it invalidates any good that there is in Basis and renders it 100% useless for any activity/health tracking. Activity data is the only thing that with no excuses and exceptions *must* be *absolutely* bullet-proof in any activity tracker, and in Basis it is not. Unfortunately, it took me 2 month to discover the full scale of this issue and I cannot return the device now, but I definitely would return it if I could.

Basis will make your wrist sweat. Bracelet is made of some sort of plastic, that combined with bracelet's width and the necessity to have it reasonably tight on you wrist makes skin under the bracelet to sweat constantly, leading to anything from mild itching to skin redness and peeling off.

Basis will turn its screen at night every time you or your partner would accidentally touch the surface of the screen with any body part. It reacts to the skin only (thanks for that!), so if you turn and toss at night and you or your partner is sensitive to light, be prepared to argue and defend your right to wear this "surprise wrist-based random flashlight". It is terribly annoying and cannot be change using preferences.

Bottom line:
Basis is a promising device, but unfortunately it has several critical problems that makes it unusable or useless for some customers.

P.S. I'm really sorry to write all this, it is my first negative review on Amazon. But also it is the first time I've wasted my money on a product that is so dysfunctional.

Posted on Jul 16, 2014 3:50:14 PM PDT
(MANUFACTURER)
We're sorry to hear that you have problems with your Basis band. You can contact support@mybasis .com for help with this.

Most of our customers experience 3-4 day battery life, no data loss and no rashes or peeling if the band is washed regularly. We'd love to help you have better Basis experience - please contact us for help with this.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
2.0 out of 5 stars Idea fantastic, reality not so great. Sleep function is interesting but needs research support., March 7, 2014
This is a cross posting from the older version of the watch, I actually have the 2014 version (this one) but Amazon posted my original review to the old model.

First of all, this watch DOES NOT track your heartrate when you are exercising. They do not claim to do so but one might assume it would if you do not research it enough. You cannot buy anything (like a chest strap) to make it monitor your heart during exercise.

Major Negatives
You have to use their website to get real info (that you cannot see by looking at the watch. The program you download to your computer is for syncing, but it does not store the information. I could find no way to import the info into any common fitness programs (such as Protrack or VidaOne). This leaves you at the mercy of the company, if they have web problems you cannot access your data or if they fold you are completely out of luck. And syncing can take a few times to get it to work. I often got an error about syncing. If you look at the FAQ online you see that in 2012 they responded about exporting real data but have not done so as of yet.

Step counting accuracy is not acceptable. It misses the steps you take around the house, steps where you are holding onto something (like a stroller or shopping cart) and sometimes counts steps that you did not take (on a public bus it counted me as walking when I was sitting). It does well if you go on an extended jaunt, say 10 minutes or so, but a lot of walking is in shorter bursts.

It is not comfortable to wear. First of all it is huge, I like big watches (in fact I wear a men's watch usually) but this one is so tall it actually catches on things and I am constantly banging it against stuff. The band is silicone and you collect sweat under it and that neither smells nor feels good.

Other Issues
I find the sleep monitor information interesting but I think I need to see more proof. It captures the times I have gotten up and the couple times I have been awakened while dreaming (so I know I was in REM sleep) it did register as REM. I looked into how they made the algorithm for the sleep and it was more reasonable than I thought it would be. However, and this is a big however, I don't have any data to decide if the interpretations of deep, REM and light sleep are accurate. I would REALLY like to see them do a study comparing actual sleep studies to the data from the watch. I could not find that information anywhere and the only research I could find on the site was an article about how goal setting helps people stick with exercise. I also could not find anything researching the scientific literature databases at my university. For such a technological product I find the lack of actual research on the correlations between these measurements and known measurements from proven scientific methods (like overnight sleep studies) disturbing.

It will not let you check your sleep until after you have been awake for 30 min, which I do not understand, if you are awake enough to take it off and attach it to the computer it should accept that you are awake.

I cannot figure out a way to get it to stay in one mode, say heart rate, so I can monitor what interests me.

There is no way to see your skin temp or perspiration in real time (from the watch). You have to sync to do this.

You cannot input your calorie intake, not even on the computer. So you see what you burned but have to keep track on something else for what you took in.

In general, I would be willing to put up with the size (I know they have to fit a lot of stuff in there and it does have a nice long battery life, four days with one charge) if I could actually trust the data it is giving me, especially for the sleep info which would be really useful. I do not understand why there are not prominent links to the research.
It feels like the watch was put into production and the first wearers are beta testing it. If you are an absolute fitness geek, you might want to try it out but only if you are willing to fuss with it. I think it has great potential, and if they do some real research on the accuracy of the sleep functions it might be worth it just for that information. But right now it is one of those things that seems so cool on paper, but in reality is not something I can trust to give me reliable data that can be used for decision making.

Note: If the company posts links to actual scientific tests comparing the watch to sleep studies I would up the star rating to a three, as sleep info I could trust would make it worthwhile to own the watch.

**Update: I upgraded by a star, because they are doing some mostly in house testing comparing the Basis to other sleep research, see comments below for further info. Next step is peer reviewed research and reporting full set of data. I was sent a link to the data in the comments section (it is on the Basis website) of the older version of this watch. I added my comment to that review, but it did not post here, so I will add it to this review as well.

This article is an excellent start to provided research data to support claims, and I am upgrading my review by one star. As the article states, these "preliminary results are promising".

However, four of the five researchers are Basis employees and only one works for an outside company and this article was not peer reviewed. A regression was obviously run, in order to fit the data to a linear model, but none of the relevant statistics are reported. For each regression test, at minimum R squared ,F, df, and p for the linear coefficient β should be reported. Instead only a correlation coefficient is given. Please add these, submit to a peer reviewed journal (the independent author Leslie, has published in the Journal of Sleep research, an article entitled" Sex differences in objective measures of sleep in post‐traumatic stress disorder and healthy control subjects.") so she should be familiar with the data needed.

I am really glad to see Basis taking this to the next step!

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 3:33:47 PM PDT
(MANUFACTURER)
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

In developing Advanced Sleep Analysis, we partnered with sleep researchers at UCSF, VA, and NCIRE. As a result, the Basis bands are able to detect sleep duration, REM sleep, deep sleep, light sleep as well as tosses and turns. We'll continue to refine these algorithms and provide our users with the most accurate sleep profile from a wrist-based device.

You might find this article about the accuracy of sleep trackers (including Basis) helpful: http://ow(dot)ly/umLhS (Please replace the "(dot)" with ".") The study was conducted by a board-certified sleep doctor and neurologist. He underwent a true sleep study and used his brain wave tracings, muscle-tone evaluation, eye-movement analysis, audio/video of his sleep to test the accuracy of a variety of sleep trackers.

Thanks for feature suggestions about calorie intake, display changes, and real time skin temperature/perspiration monitors. We always love hearing from our customers about ways to make Basis better.

If you have any other questions about the accuracy of our trackers please contact support(at)mybasis(dot)com. We'd be happy to answer them.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice concept poor delivery, April 16, 2014
I rate 2 stars for the concept, and for the idea.however this product was a big let down. It took forever for me to get one and when I did it had issues, I sent it back to receive another one with the exact same issues. I got the 2014 edition because it is the latest technology. For the most of the time that I had the product, all of the features except for the time would freeze up so I'm working now and getting no credit for anything. This would happen for 30 to 40 minutes at a time, despite my hard resets and all other recommended troubleshooting. The only thing the watch was really good at was keeping time. I also had issues with the Bluetooth, but when it worked it was great and I thought that the online app with all the statistics was great. The only thing is I barely got credit for anything that I did, so my charts were pretty minimal. perhaps basis can fix these issues with an update. I don't know, I was just very annoyed waiting for shipping time to get items that didn't work properly. Amazon however was great With The free return labels and superior customer service. The product is what needs fixing.

Posted on Apr 17, 2014 4:38:15 PM PDT
(MANUFACTURER)
Hi M.M., from your description it seems like your experience is not one we usually see with the typical Basis user - and not one that we designed! We're sorry to say that despite our extensive quality control efforts, you might have received a defective product. If you still have your band - we suggest that you contact support(at)mybasis(dot)com. Your band is protected under a warranty for one year and our support specialists would be delighted to help you resolve this issue. Thanks for letting us know about this.