Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on November 2, 2012
These boots are classified as men's work boots, but I didn't buy them for use as such. I'm a woman & former Marine accustomed to the fit of men's boots, and I bought them for general outdoor activities (hiking, camping, etc.). They are working very well in that role.

These boots are sturdy, but lack the stiffness of many new boots. There was no break in period for me; they were comfortable the first time I put them on and got the laces right, and they remained comfortable the next day on an 8-hour trek carrying a light-weight pack through sand, mud, shallow water, and over trails and rocks. I've worn them for a few outings and like them more and more.

These boots are medium-light weight, light enough to prevent fatigue and foot/lower leg strain, but heavy enough to offer stability and protection.

The components are fine. The soles are rugged and gripped on slippery rocks and uneven surfaces; they seem securely affixed. The insoles are cushioned, also removable for washing (or replacement with your favorites). The zippers operate smoothly, appear sturdy and did not leak when tromping through water (although I didn't fully immerse the boots for any period of time, so I suspect water-resistant rather than waterproof). The velcro flap over the top of the zipper is thick and protects the zip from catching on pants legs or brush. The lacing grommets and hooks are well-placed and securely implanted. The laces are adequate; I will probably replace them in time but just because I'm picky and not because they are defective.

Cleaning the boots was simple: Brushed off the mud and sand, let them dry, did it again and they looked fine and remained supple. I did treat them with a preservative before I wore them in the woods and recommend doing so for longevity and ease of care.

Women's boots are usually uncomfortable for me (I have low arches and wide "duck feet"). These are quite comfortable: roomy toe box with the added protection of the composite toe. [ I lost 4 toes in a crush injury wearing steel-toed boots on active duty, so this a a wonderful compromise for me! ] The side zipper is great! Once you get those laces "just right" for your feet/ankles, the zipper makes it easier to keep them the way you want them, and it's very convenient in camp if you need to get up quickly in the middle of the night.

My only caution is that the soles on the sage boots are not the charcoal color pictured here, they are an odd really-green color. (One of my camping buddies said, "Oh, look! You got some green girlie boots!" ... lol) If that matters to you, you might consider the desert tan.
on January 30, 2010
I work on a construction site in the middle of the Saudi desert, so they get a real tough life. So I am delighted how well they are performing. Very comfortable indeed. Let my feet breathe and are tougher than my last pair which stood up to 4 years of abuse before giving up the ghost. These will last longer at the rate they are going, which is great I might get a spare pair for back in the UK as there so good. the side zip is a great idea and works well, especially when you are tired at he end of the day and just want to get them off and relax... don't delay get them while you can, excellent value for the work they do.
on March 29, 2015
In my opinion, the GX-8 is without a doubt the best boot ever made. I've had mine for 6+ years and in that time they've seen sand, mud, snow, the ocean, blood, oil, paints, fire, etc and aside from being hosed down and dried, they've had no real cleaning or special care. They've been through hell but they're still holding together! This pair is finally starting to die but it sure as hell won't go without a fight. Despite them holding together so well given all they've been through, I couldn't help buying another pair for when they do eventually fall apart. I will continue to buy these boots so long as Bates continues to make them.
review image
on December 31, 2013
"Sage" is a lot more "pale emerald green" than the picture shows. I expected the color shown and did not get it. Their "sage" is a strange green, not the color shown in the picture. Got it? Hope that helps.

That being said, I agree with most of the other reviewers that Bates makes good boots. Sizing true, solid construction, and comfortable support for the ankle. I kept the green ones, and bought a different style in black and another side-zip model in sand. Those colors seemed about right!
on October 28, 2014
I have had several boots in the past. A new job has forced me to really look into something better then Wal-Mart quality. I saw these boots online and had talked to many people about bates, so I decided to try a couple different pairs on at a local uniform store. I was surprised by the quality of them. (Not to mention that Amazon had a sale that was ridiculously awesome, 20% and free shipping and returns if they dont fit!!!) Even though they say they don't need to be broken in, I would say that you should get the feel for them by wearing them for a few days on ad off.

One thing I did notice, and this is why I tried them on first, is that they ran a little large. I am usually a 10.5 or 11, however, in these boots I am a 10. Very surprising. But I will say that the 10 fit perfect and snug. I still cant believe the quality for the price. I would definitely recommend these boots for anyone who needs comfort and protection.
on February 29, 2016
I like the Bates Ultra Lite side zip a whole lot better than these, but I can't get them in anything but Black any more. For me, there are 2 differences that prevented a 5 star rating. 1. The laces won't feed through the upper hooks as easy, making it more difficult to cinch up after they're on. 2. The Vel-Cro side flap is shorter on these so I can't tuck the loose the lace ends in nearly as well.
I only have use of my right hand, so I can't tie my laces. Instead, I use those spring clip things like you see on draw strings which leaves fairly long left over lace. So the length of the side flap is important to me.
I couldn't tell by the picture that this was going to be a problem.
Other than that, these make pretty good every day, all-purpose boots. Probably not tough enough for real rough use. Ankle support is good. Without these, I have to wear an ankle brace. With low top. or loose ankle boots, I always have to buy one size for my left foot & a pair a size smaller for my right foot. With 8" side zips, I can forget the brace & use both.
on June 28, 2016
Tried a Bates Wide in store, it was just a little to narrow. So I ordered these in 3E thinking they would be great. The ones I tried on did not have the COMP toe, the Comp toe of these made the toe area narrower so did not help. Can't find these without Comp toe except in Black. May try a larger size but hate to order longer just to get wider

Tried full size larger, 10 3e, left foot was OK but COMP to still made the toe area to small for me. It put pressure on my big toe. You can actually see where the boot narrows at the toe area. Really wanted this boot to fit.
review image
on December 23, 2013
I needed a pair of safety toe shoes for work. I've previously worn Doc Martins, Shoes for Crews, Workx.. They were all okay. I came across these Bates GX-8 boots and chose them just because I was tired of spending spending so much time lacing up boots when I was late to work.

These have turned out to be the most comfortable shoes I have ever bought.
They dont way a ton like steel toes.
They have good ankle support.
They take a whole 5 seconds to put on and zip (I've tied them twice since I got them).
They are grippy! I walk across floors covered in oil and coolant, I walk across icey concrete. My feet never slip!

I've had them for 6 months now. They seemed big when I got them so I had to exchange them for a half size smaller than I normally wear.
The first two weeks they hurt a little bit right at the edge of where the safety toe is but I went back and fourth between the Bates and my old boots every other day. After a few weeks they started to break in and my feet got used to them. Now I wear these boots all the time, not just at work. I don't want to take them off I like them so much. Never thought I'd say this but here's a pair of safety toe boots I'd wear hiking!
on April 30, 2016
These boots are amazing and comftortable. They are a tan suede unpolishable leather. The comfort last for months and months working 12hr shifts. The tan composites do NOT have a sealed goretex membrane like the black composites GX-8's do. These boots are solid and look sharp. If you have wide feet make sure to get a wide size. They are liteweight and easy to run in. Great boot well worth the money.
on February 8, 2015
I have no complaints with the seller or the transaction process, but the boot on the other hand is a different story. The boot was a little snug but not a huge deal. The laces were very stiff and were hard to keep tied. The opening that was created from the zipper was a little small and needed effort to slide your foot into. The heal had good support, but the ball of your foot has zero cushion. It was like I wasn't wearing a shoe at all. It was as if I was walking barefoot on the concrete. After a week of wearing them to work I had had enough and put them back in the box and went back to wearing my old boots. I just expected much more for Bates.