4.0 out of 5 stars Good Overall Boots
Published on February 20, 2009 by Barry C. Allen

2.0 out of 5 stars WILL NOT HOLD UP
Published 16 months ago by David

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Overall Boots, February 20, 2009
Bates makes a good product. There is about a one to two week break in period for these boots, especially if you use footpads on top of the insoles. The upper and lower sections are of good quality. The soles seem to be of good quality as well. The tread and sole material help on ice and snow, which is awesome. The tread pattern is aggressive and I commend Bates for doing that. Too many boot companies put more of a dry pavement walking pattern on the bottom of their boots. Alaskan winters aren't compatible with boots built for urban summer environments.

The only issue that I have had with these boots is in the seam area along each side of the boot toward the toe. They are just a little snug for my feet. I wear a 10D, and usually I don't have any issues with that on any brand of boot. The footbed seems comfortable enough, and the rest of the boot is fine. I have gotten used to this, so I don't always notice it depending on which socks I wear. I have not had any rub problems since the boots have been broken in.

The side zipper is awesome. This is the first pair of boots I bought with this configuration and I have to say I have missed out. You can get them on quickly. I get called out in the middle of the night periodically, and I want to get dressed and move quickly, and that actually helps considerably.

The waterproofing seems very good. I work in a temperate rain forest. I need waterproof boots nearly year round. So far, I have not had any problems in this area. Another failing of boot companies is to claim waterproofing, and I am here to tell you that it is not necessarily the case. Walk through a muskeg at 3AM for an hour tracking down a bad guy, and you will find all the seams in a "waterproof" boot before you're done.

So, I commend Bates on being able to build a quality, waterproof boot at a fair price. Considering what other companies charge for gore-tex lined boots, Bates is a bargain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great boots, February 8, 2014
This review is from: Bates Men's GX-8 GTX Side Zip Military Boot (Shoes)
These boots look exactly like the pictures, you get what your seeing, they have pretty hard toe and make you feel much stronger. Make sure you order a size up on these or else they will be too small. I've had these boots for about 3 months and they work great for what I need them for. The heel is really uncomfortable for the first few day but if you wear them for a run or two then they will be fine. I recommend taking out the insoles, you don't need them and the boot isn't uncomfortable if you take them out. Bates makes good boots, the only reason I bought these in the mens is because they fit my feet better, I'll definitely be buying from them again.

Pros:
-Strong shoelaces
-hard toe
-rounded heel and bottom
-comfortable ankle(after broken-in)
-good zipper
-good waterproofing
-warm
-not loose, but not tight
-good grips foot grips

Cons:
-heal is uncomfortable at first
-glue comes off around outsole (doesn't affect waterproofing or fitting)
-Eyelets are tight and hard to lace through

Recommendations:
-Take out insole
-Polish toe for better shine
-Wear for exercise runs to break-in faster
-Lace the boot a couple of times to break-in the eyelets

Things not shown: When you unzip the boot it doesn't open up into the inside, it opens a leather piece that makes it easier to slide you foot in, but the leather is cloth lined and waterproofed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Boots, December 2, 2011
For the weight, the price, the gore-tex and the durability these are great boots. I have had only one pair in the last 3 years and they are still holding up. I am an avid hiker and these are my favorite boots that I've ever owned half the time I don't even realize they are on. The side-zip helps so much when you are tired after a hike, or in the middle of the night when "nature-calls." The Gore-tex performs great and I have stomped through many a creek/stream in my day. I take them hunting also and even in the snow with a nice wool sock I am warm, dry and cozy. Minimal break in period means they are good to go! I was first turned on to this name and brand as an LDS missionary, they are marketed to missionaries because of their sole durability (despite what others have said) they stay dry and they can be polished. If you know anything about LDS missionaries it should be that they walk a lot. I am a bates buyer for life now. If you want to spend a little more and get a Vibram sole, the GX-9 is right up your alley. They will be my next pair, but I have converted more than a few people to them over the last few years.

2.0 out of 5 stars WILL NOT HOLD UP, March 23, 2013
As a conservation officer in Alabama my need for a waterproof boot that is comfortable to wear and looks good with a uniform is paramount. I saw these in a store and really liked them. The side zipper is what really caught my attention and that they were made by Bates. Well I gave in and ordered them from Amazon. These where the most confortable boots I have ever owned in my 34 years in law enforcement. They where like wearing a pair of tennis shoes right out of the box and are very was a very good looking boot. I was wearing them on avarage 5 days a week and they have not leaked a drop of moisture through the seams even when crossing creeks and such. That being said I am very disappointed with them. I bought these back in July and the side zipper on one side has already torn loose. Also the finish on the toe areas will not hold up working in the woods. They are easily scratched and torn. The gray trim on the bottoms have already started to come off. There is a lot of fraying in the stitched areas. These boots will not hold up normal working conditions in the woods nor on the streets. Getting in and out of patrol cars will wear the bottoms off quick. Will not buy these again unless some major improvements are made. I didn't want to give them one star since they are not leaking, and are so comfortable to wear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, May 15, 2013
Not a police officer, not a paramedic, not in the armed forces. Somewhat all of the above as a Food Service Manager. Just finished 18 hours in these boots on concrete. My feet are ready to go for another 18, my body not so much.

These boots have literally changed my entire perception of footwear!

1.0 out of 5 stars "FAIR WEATHER" boots at best!, April 21, 2013
This review is from: Bates Men's GX-8 GTX Side Zip Military Boot (Shoes)
At first I was very impressed with them, but that was short lived. Bates reputation along with their lightweight and the convenient side zipper helped me justify the price and when I first received them they felt great. But then, less than 2 months later and limited exposure to a light rain, they became unwearable. The liner bunched up while damp and hardened making them impossible to tolerate walking and causing blisters across the tops of my toes. I tried everything I could think of to fix it but now they're sitting in my closet waiting until I can talk myself into throwing a hundred bucks in the dumpster.

5.0 out of 5 stars great boot, February 7, 2014
excellent boot and great fit. wear a size 101/2 and ordered that size perfect fit ! a little on the cold side but in 20deg below what did I expect! I would defiantly buy again!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome cold weather Police boot, January 27, 2014
My second pair. Make sure to use the amazon 30% code that comes out for foot ware randomly as it works with this boot making it the cheapest place to buy it.

2.0 out of 5 stars comfortable but had to replace after 4 months, April 8, 2014
I've had these boots for 4 months and the stitching in the back already ripped on both of them. Spend a little more money if you want a quality boot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for!, March 6, 2014
Waterproof and warm. The Goretex is great. My boots were easily broken in. They were a little stiff on day one, but by day three they were like old comfy boots.

Bates Men's GX-8 GTX Side Zip Military Boot