Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bates Men's Delta Side-Zip 8 Inch Uniform Boot
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Thank you Scientist Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on March 5, 2013
Upon arrival, the boot was uncomfortable due to the ICS comfort system. For the first week of use, the nylon ring very noticeable and I didn't like it at all. fortunately, the ring needed a short break-in period and became more and more enjoyable. After being on my feet for up to 18hrs a day, my feet are no longer tired and hurting. There was no real break-in period for the boot itself (other than the comfort ring). I am enjoying these boot every DRY day.
The reason that I gave the boots only 4 stars is due to the fact that THEY ARE IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM, WATERPROOF OR EVEN WATER RESISTANT! My feet get soaked in a short time, in rain. Don't even think about puddles! If you spend much time in wet or snowy conditions, I would not purchase this boot.
If I had it to do over again, I would get the Bates Delta 9 GTX with gortex lining.
on December 12, 2013
I'm a firearms instructor an I'm on my feet for most of the day. These boots only took 2 days to break in. Definitely more comfortable than my previous 5.11 ATAC boots. The sole is very aggressive which I like. Although the padding in the heel makes you feel like you're wearing heels. 4 stars only because I've only worn them for 2 weeks. I hope they hold up. If they do the next pair will get 5 stars.

UPDATE
4 months later, and they're still holding up well. In fact they're even more comfortable now that they're really broken in. No tears, rips, failing stitching, or stuck zippers. The only con that I have is that the footbed, cushioning, or insole makes a squeaking sound when I walk. It's kind of weird. I've wiped it out with a damp cloth, and also tried putting foot powder under the insole. Nothing has helped so far. I'm going to change out the insoles and see if that works. I'd still buy another pair though.
on April 12, 2016
UPDATE : called Bates customer service, they are sending me a new pair and replacing them free and paying to ship old ones back.

Would give one star but I had a pair of these before and they lasted 15 months.

I am a detention officer and I wear these for my job. I had a pair previously that lasted 15 months and began wearing out at the seams. Due to my profession and the amount of wear I wasn't shocked.

HOWEVER, I bought the exact same pair of boots again and just over 90 days of wearing them they have broke at the seams. Ridiculous.. I won't buy Bates boots again.
review image review image review image
on June 29, 2014
I was excited when this boot arrived. The styling of the boot is fantastic. Great look on the upper with an aggressive and attractive tread design. This boot looked really good with the tactical pants that I wear to work. Sadly this relationship was not to be. I tried the boots on and wore them around the house on carpet and wood flooring to test the fit. I experienced a significant amount of pain while walking and bending in the area just beneath the large recessed lace eyelet near the center of the boot shaft. So much so that these spots were quite sore the next day. There is a great deal of binding of the material when my foot is bent for walking that causes pain slightly above and to the inside of the ankle bone on the outside of each foot. I experienced this with both feet/boots. I believe it comes from the compression of the leather just below the eyelet when walking/bending that causes a knot or bundle of material that digs into the area near the ankle. I also noticed that the shoe's tongue has a sewn joint in this area that lays against the pressure point when the boot is laced. I didn't notice any other reviews for this boot that mentioned this problem so I assume I either received a defective boot or the physiology of my foot/ankle is not compatible with the design of this particular boot. That's too bad because I really like the look of the boot and the workmanship and construction seemed excellent. The price was also excellent during a Father's Day sale. I won't take a chance on trying a replacement because I live in Europe and it is too much trouble to ship this product back and wait for a replacement that may have the same problem. I swear by Bates boots and will probably try a different boot from Bates such as the Bates Men's Delta-9 GTX Side Zip Work Boot. I'll stop by the local military clothing sales to try the boot on first.
on December 4, 2010
After much use they've become soft and supple. The side zipper is what makes them the best I've ever worn to work. I've had others just as comfortable but this feature does make a big difference. They've also proven very durable given the sort of abuse I've dealt on these guys. Very recommended and well worth the money
on December 30, 2014
A loyal Bates user for over 20 years. Corrections Officer wearing 10 hours a day. After reading about the ics system, thought I'd stray from the Durashocks I usually purchase, and try this model. Very painful decision. Good looks, good weight, horrible fit. I have a welt where the top collar has dug into my shin. The eyelet point halfway down the boot is in such a position that it digs all day causing terrible soreness. Tried thicker socks. I have never written a bad review in my life, but steer clear of these boots. I politely contacted Bates and explained my problem, but they were very disinterested. They will exchange for defect only, not poor design. That clearly is my fault. So I will give them to my dog as an expensive fetch toy, and spend a little extra money for a different boot, backed by a company that values their customer.
on November 28, 2015
Let me first start off by saying that I did not buy them from amozon I got mine from Sears. I've had them for about 6 to 7 months and within that time they have been beaten up and I mean really beaten up! I'm going from one job to the next and they don't loose there comfort. I wish they where steal toe though.
review image review image review image
on March 20, 2016
These are great boots so far. I have been wearing these for two weeks now, and I'm enjoying them thoroughly. The actual look and design of these boots is very mean and rugged. Very well made, good stitching, looks like it's going to last.

Side zipper is a nice feature. The zipper feels tough and durable. It's very nice to have after a long night of walking on concrete and asphalt where untying your boots just feels like too much effort at the moment.

Break in period was relatively short (Six days of constantly walking at work). However it was a bit painful. I might recommend breaking these in at home before wearing them on duty. The insoles felt good immediately, but the sides of the boot seemed to dig in right at the ankle. A bit painful but as the break in period was short so it doesn't really matter.

The tread on these boots is where they really shine. They really give you just an awesome grip on the ground. I feel like I could comfortably walk up a 70° incline in these bad boys. No boot I have ever worn comes close in this department.

The ICS system is incredibly comfortable. I really don't feel any difference in the comfort settings, so I feel that's just a clever gimmick to seem cool and innovative. It's still incredibly comfortable either way, so I really don't care if it isn't actually adjustable. The front of the sole also had a gel worked into it for added comfort.

The only real con I have is that the heel rides too high for my personal tastes. This is just a personal preference, and it was easily fixed. I took the insoles out of the old pair of shoes I had, cut them in half, and glued the front half to the Bates insoles. Now I feel like I'm walking on more of a flat surface which is how I like it.

All in all I'm very pleased after my initial two weelks. I can't speak to longevity yet, but if I have any issues with this in the coming months I'll be sure to update my review accordingly.
on November 14, 2013
These are comfortable and fit me well. I am a 10 womens more or less...these were wide enough, but not too wide and the sole feels sturdy. They do not last as long as a Danner Boot, for example, but the break-in period is very short and once they are broken in they are really a good shoe. I wear them for work and for around town. I have SuperFeet insoles, which make them even more comfortable. I would suggest them to anyone but they are probably better for women just because we are somewhat easier on our shoes and these are not exactly prime quality.
on August 2, 2014
I walk a lot at work. It's been over 2.5 years of constant wear. The tread is almost non exist any now, and the stitching on the side is blown out. Zippers held up great. Super comfortable. Dependable boot for work. Prior to these I wore magnum brand boots and had to replace them every 6 months. These are amazing boots!