Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Tap Giveaway Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Platform: Xbox 360|Edition: Standard|Change

on August 10, 2014
When it comes to video games, I have kind of a strange history with them. I grew up spending many hours in front of my Nintendo systems, but as time goes on I have found myself only playing sports and multi-player games with buddies. Just recently, I purchased "Batman: Arkham City" because I am a big Batman fan and thought it would jump-start my interest in single-player gaming campaigns. Unfortunately, it did not.

I'll say right off the bat that this could be a "problem with me", so to speak. My days of playing individual video games could be behind me. That is why I still give this game at least a three star ranking. I do not for a minute think it is a "bad game", it just didn't appeal to me (for a number of different reasons).

That being said, I think that there are a few problems with the game that are partially to blame. I wish there was a bit more middle ground between knowing what to do and being lost. For example, in the sections of the game that I played, I would first feel lost, just swinging from building to building not knowing what to do. It took me a long time to get to each objective because I was never sure where exactly I was going. Then, once I finally reached the objective, it kind of felt like I was just following button commands to complete the mission exercise.

Now, many of you may read this review and say "go back to your old-school gaming". That might be a valid critique here (!). But, I just wanted to explain my experience with this game. For whatever reason (maybe a variety of reasons), it just didn't suck me in and thus I stopped playing.
on December 1, 2011
This is a the FIRST 3D game on the xbox 360 to use the hdmi 1.4 standard of 3D playback (2x720p per eye) and it looks GREAT ! Other games like Call of Duty and Gears of war3 cut the resolution in half to achieve 3D but Batman delivers the goods in higher res and it really makes the game. If you have a 3D tv you will be thrilled at the graphics and gameplay.This is also the first 3D game on the xbox where I did not have to ' force ' my tv into side by side mode or have to go nuts because the xbox popped up a message... You just set it to 3D and wham your tv goes into 3d mode properly and if you get a friend logged on message you see it properly .... this is how 3D games are SUPPOSE to work ! The PS3 has been enjoying proper 3D gaming support for awhile now... hopefully the xbox will now get proper support since this title proves just how good it can be.
on March 4, 2013
When I first played Arkham Asylum and beat the game whilst collecting all the Riddler trophies and thoroughly enjoying the story mode and challenges, I felt like I actually wanted more Batman than what was offered. In any case, Arkham Asylum was an excellent game which should be owned by any Batman fan. (Alongside Batman Begins for the PS2/Xbox) But what's even better is Batman Arkham City. Here's my review.

Graphics-

The graphics look a little better than Arkham Asylum; but not by much. If anything, AC looks darker and grittier than AA and also, the color seems to have much richer detail; especially if you're using an HDMI cable. But perhaps the biggest difference between Arkham City and Arkham Asylum would be the fact that Arkham City is an open world game in which you get to openly explore Arkham and it's a pretty big city.
The game is not just limited to Arkham however, for example, you'll get a chance to go to Ras a Ghul's demon realm which is a big wasteland full of sand and rocky cliffs with erupting lava and it looks fantastic. It easily looks better than the Scarecrow's nightmare realm in the last game. The game's menu interface looks really cool as well and you can tell the production value was high on this game. To make things even better is the frame rate is silky smooth with no graphical hiccups that I can speak of that are game breaking.
With that said, the one complaint I have about this game would be the fact that most of the bad guys are simply clones and not varied enough. Fortunately, this is only applied to the minor bad guys while the main bad guys like Clayface, Joker, Ras a Ghul or Riddler are nice to look at. A minor gripe of mine would be just how dark this game is. I mean, it's really dark and if you lighten it too much that brightness will oversaturate the graphics with too much brightness. This causes most of the game to be done in detective mode instead of enjoying the actual scenery. Other than that, it looks fantastic.

Sound-

The voice acting in this game is really good, especially when you encounter the Joker or Harley. I found Bane to be the only villain that wasn't particularly voiced well. I really loved the soundtrack to this game. There are certain battles that feature the main theme and it feels extremely badass. I only wish some of the sound effects weren't limited to thuds and muffled smacks. But even the sound effects were really good.

Gameplay-

Here's the meat of the game. The gameplay in Arkham City is good. Not just good; but excellent. First off, the fighting system is nearly the same as AA only the system's been polished quite a bit. You get more moves, more gadgets and new ways of taking out enemies and most importantly, there are a ton of bad guys. In Arkham Asylum, one of my biggest complaints was the fact that there wasn't enough enemies or bosses. Now in Arkham City, that complaint is a thing of the past. Not only are there more enemies, but the enemies are harder, smarter and take a lot more damage. Taking down a group of bad guys is not easy and if you intend on button mashing, then prepare to lose a lot. Even on normal this game will be quite challenging.
The hardest battles are when you find yourself surrounded by thugs and a few thugs have guns or perhaps there's an area full of Snipers.
The one thing Arkham City does manage to do well is challenge you to use wit and devise a plan in battle.

The story mode is much better. It includes lots of side missions that feel natural and somewhat of an extension to the story mode. For example, no matter what you do in AC, the writing and execution of the side missions are still relative to the main story which really adds a ton of replay value to this game unlike Arkham Asylum which featured only the Riddler trophies and minor side quests.

In addition to playing as Batman you can also play as Catwoman. Speaking of Catwoman, there are a lot of Cameo appearances that turn into actual encounters by villains like Bane, Two Face, Riddler, The Identity Theft, Croc and others.
This game takes a long time to complete and there are plenty of cool unlockables.

Overall, Arkham City took everything "bad" (if you can call it that) about AA and polished it whilst giving you an entire new experience. You can literally traverse the entire city of Arkham and take on any mission at any time while enjoying the game for what it is- An instant classic.

The only bummer about this game would be that the ending was somewhat of a cliffhanger, but there's supposed to be a third Batman game that will make news this year or perhaps next year. (I think it will be 2013 though)
on October 19, 2011
Any fan of the last game will love this game much much more.

The graphics are stunning and the opening cinematics had me hooked. Even while on the rooftops staring out across the cityscape I never saw slowdown. The villains are varied throughout and never get old to look at. In a whole room filled with villains during combat I never noticed any frame rate issues either.

The fighting in this game is much the same as the last. One of the most enjoyable parts of this game is to take down an entire room of baddies in one free flow combo jumping from one villain to the next while countering and using gadgets in various ways. The action is fast paced and after you get the hang of it, will become reflex and you will feel rewarded in knowing that you are controlling an absolute fighting machine! There are so many different factors and moves that no fight is ever the same!

The takedowns are great and the bone-crunching sounds when you punch and kick face after face are always great. The music is top-notch which is nice too and immerses you in the environment of the dark Arkham City scape.

Parts of this game are similar to GTA in structure in that you have an open world with tons of side missions and riddler trophys/items (over 400!) available to you. The player will be spending hours upon hours figuring out all the riddles and secrets the city has to offer. The side missions are varied as well and not just your standard errand running like in other games.

Overall this is probably one of the best games I've played in a long time, maybe all time. Swinging from rooftops and gliding down onto a group of villains into a free flow combo breaking bones and punching faces has never felt better!
VINE VOICEon February 12, 2013
The Batman games on the XBox 360 may be the best video games ever made, and are easily the best superhero game ever made. The graphics are astounding. The surroundings are amazing. The control is perfect. The voice acting is the best. The cut scenes, which blend seamlessly back into the action, are the best I've ever seen. It's just so much fun. And the side missions - too many to count! And so much fun to figure out!
My one complaint is that a lot of the "bosses" are more tedious or difficult than challenging. Right now, I'm near the end of the main mission (I think?) and it stinks because it's really difficult - I'm stuck in a big fight and it's not like I can load an earlier part of the game and NOT always be stuck having to be stuck in that boss-fight. Kind of annoying. But well, aside from that, the game is a BLAST and one of the best I've ever seen come across my Xbox 360!!!!
on January 7, 2015
I have since purchased the Game of the Year edition but, still felt that this game along with a few others deserved the accolades that have been heaped upon it. Batman Arkham City truly deserves the praise it has gotten. I bought the first game Arkham Asylum, which was awesome in it's own right thinking it would be another Batman cash-in crap title (I know I am a glutton for punishment but, I am a HUGE Batman fan) It turned out to be one of my favorite games of all time even though when i bought it I played DiRT 2 more and left it in my "I"ll get to it later game pile" After playing it I immediately reserved Arkham City. Arkham Asylum was GREAT but Arkham City was STUPENDOUS, I felt like the Bat playing Asylum but, I truly immersed myself in the 2nd game playing it almost everyday for a year and a half. I have not played a game that much since I was a teenager playing Final Fantasy VII back in 1997. (Yes I am that old LOL!) The GOTY version is the same core game but, all the DLC is included on another disc. If you are a fan or are simply looking for a game to enjoy this game will keep you busy for many many months to come.
"Batman: Arkham City" is the highly anticipated sequel to Batman Arkham Asylum: Game of the Year Platinum Hits, and it definitely was worth the wait. This is one of the few cases where the sequel is as good or even better than the one that came before it.

The game takes place in a part of Gotham City that has been converted to hold the most dangerous criminals and it is one of the best game environments I have ever seen. The open world concept works well and adds a lot of fun and freedom to the game play.

There are a lot of special enemies from Batman's past in the city and you can play as Catwoman with downloadable content (via a one time use code, likely to reduce resale value). I like the controls for both Batman and Catwoman, but have hard time taking advantage of all of the moves, unlike my son who seems to have mastered them fairly quickly. There are also improvements and additional gadgets for the characters to use and they also add to the enjoyment of the game play.

The graphics and voice acting are both topnotch, really helping with dark feel of the game.

Highly Recommended!

CFH
on January 30, 2012
I was very skeptic to buy this game at first because the first one was a disappointment. Arkham Asylum had great graphics and an alright story; however, the gameplay itself became linear and boring. It reminded me of the first Assassins Creed which required you to investigate, beat up thugs, and assassinate target. OVER AND OVER AND OVER...

Arkham Asylum was very similar to that. Investigate, beat up thugs, get to target. OVER AND OVER AND OVER...

But, in Arkham City, they managed to make it a little more interesting. The story missions and side missions were different. They weren't as linear as before. The graphics are still great. I will warn you that it is a little sandbox, but not completely. Getting around Arkham City is also a bit annoying at times, but overall, it wasn't too bad.

If you are a fan of adventure/action, DC comics, or Batman in general, I think you will definitely like it.
on March 5, 2012
This is a wonderful open-environment action game. The fighting sequences are straightforward, yet challenging. The missions range in difficulty and can be fairly time consuming, especially trying to find enough Riddles to face the Riddler. I went through and finished the campaign in its entirety, which is saying a lot since a game hasn't held my attention like this since the original. I took my time through the campaign on the default difficulty and it probably took me a little over 25 hours (costing ~$2/hr). The graphics, voice acting, and soundtrack are immersive, making hours of play easily slip by. The bonuses, like the fighting matches and the Riddler Challenges add even more depth and value. This game is a must if you own either gaming system.
on August 31, 2015
I have a habit of finding great games years after they've come out and everyone else is over it and this game is no exception. That being said I came to Arkham City backtracking from the disappointment that was Arkham Orgins and this game feels fresh and brand new even though its been out for years. Game play is tough without being unforgiving and the story is really interesting. Im seriously considering buying DLC though thats a little pricey.