5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good so far!
Published 14 months ago by SonicLucario

After Arkham City: Armored Edition, I had very high hopes for this game. In AC, great use was made of the Wii U game pad. The map was always up, you could select locations, control your weapons, and in they even integrated it into the game such that Batman had a touch pad on his forearm. When you through a remote controlled batarang, you directed it using the pad...
Published 13 months ago by Temple Fugate

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good so far!, October 25, 2013
This review is from: Batman: Arkham Origins (Video Game)
The game looks pretty nice on my Wii U! I haven't beaten the game yet but as of now its pretty intense and feels a bit more serious then the last Batman Arkham games. The only gripes I have with the game is that it feels and looks too similar to Arkham City and it does not have as many gamepad functions as the Armored Edition but other then that its still pretty awesome and its a nice edition for any Wii U collection. The Gamepad still has the radio chatter and Alfred talking through the gamepad and the map on the gamepad screen but the hacking and radio signals are no longer touch based, you also have to hold ZL and use the D-Pad to select your gadgets as they do not show up on the gamepad. One other thing is that the season pass and pre order codes are not working as of now but thats probably just because the servers are not updated yet.

The game is compatible with the Wii U Gamepad and the Wii U Pro Controller. It also supports off-TV play as well.

UPDATE: The Deathstroke pre-order bonus code that it comes with is now working.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good golly gee willikers Batman this game is fun!, October 25, 2013
Wise Owl (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Batman: Arkham Origins (Video Game)
Well I haven't beaten the game yet. I am only about 5 hours in, but I have seen so many mixed reviews on the big name review sites I just wanted to let people who enjoyed the first two Arkhams know that this one is just as great in my opinion. Not better, but just as great. First of all this is the Wii U version obviously and everyone was throwing it under the bus because of no multiplayer. I play Arkham games for the single player experience so I don't care that it is missing, but it is something to consider for those of you that do. I got it for ten bucks cheaper though so there's that. Now the PC version is also ten bucks cheaper and as far as I know includes multiplayer. It was a choice between PC and Wii U and I am glad I chose the Wii U, here is why:

*Graphics and Performance:The graphics look outstanding on the Wii U(looks better than AC Armored Edition) and the performance is also much better than the Armored Edition. It has a solid frame rate with the very occasional one second slow down. It looks incredibly crisp on my TV and has excellent textures. The only improvements PC has over it that I have seen from videos are the Physx and Tesselation effects. I have only encountered one minor bug which was a baddie after kicking his butt, he fell through the floor and only his head appeared.

*Gamepad.I guess my only complaint so far is hacking is not as fun as it was in Armored Edition(not a big deal though) and it doesn't have all the same gamepad features, but it still has some of them. The map is there and works just like AE. It doesn't have the remote control batarang on the gamepad and you can't pick gadgets from it either(those are selected with the D-pad). It does have the wonderful off-tv play. The detective mode is there and in this game it is unbelievable cooler. For example in AE one of the first things you do with detective mode is finding out were the bullet came from, you scan the evidence and it shows you the trajectory of the bullet. In this game a guy gets blasted through a wall and not only can you see what happened, but you can walk around to get different perspectives and forward and rewind it at whatever speed you like. I just thought that was so cool. The controls overall feel great and I prefer the gamepad now over the other controllers I own.

*The Sound: Sounds great to me! I have 5.1 Surround.

*The City: This city is tricky to review because I'm still not sure how I feel about. It is the biggest one yet and while there is a ton of stuff in it and it looks fantastic, it can still feel a bit empty at times. It reminds me of Arkham City with the look of it. If you hate Christmas though this game takes place on Christmas eve and has some Christmasy themes. Let's not be a scrooge about it. Starting out it's mostly go from one part of the map to the other and do a task. and it has quick travel by batwing(still wish I could fly it or use a batmobile). A lot of time will be spent in different buildings just like in AC of course. It also fills up with a lot of extra stuff to do as you progress through the game. So far I like it just as much as Arkham City.

*The Gameplay: Combat feels just as good if not maybe a tiny bit better. I like that as you progress you get a better diversity of baddies to whoop and a few new moves too. Stealth feels the same(it works but still has its flaws). Flying around has not changed at all. You start off with a lot of familar gadgets and this one has some cool new ones as well although I don't know what they all are yet. You still traverse through plenty of vents which I am convinced now that Batman just loves vents. He must have all kinds of vents in his mansion. No more are the question marks, now they are called relay data, but they are still acquired by solving a puzzle or they hiding out in a vent.

*The Vents: I am starting to like the vents myself. Some of the vents look much better than in the previous games and some give you that classic feel.

*Story: This is one of the most important things to me in a game and I loved the story of the last two games. I am not sure how it will turn out and so far it is pretty good and it has all the classic villains and some new ones I have never seen before. They all look different than the previous titles. Some of them sound the same like the Penguin. It takes place before the other batman games. It's about christmas eve and Black Mask has offered 50 grand to whoever can kill the bat. It informed me of 8 assassins and gave a little quick background to each. My favorite one is Deathstroke of course. He is just so similar to my favorite Marvel character Deadpool. The boss battles are awesome and the battle with Deathstroke is nothing short of brutal and insanely difficult. He earns his baddassery in that fight with Batman. I hope I see him again. Like I said I am not very far so I can't really tell you more.

*The Batman: Yes this is a new batman and not only is this my favorite look so far, but I like the voice actor better too. He is a far more violent and brutal Batman than what he becomes later on. He mostly feels like he doesn't hold back from his brutality until the last second.

Overall it has a few differences from the previous games and while it feels like they tried to play it safe and plays mostly the same, for the most part it still delivers one heck of a fun game and when I play video games that is really what it is all about. If you liked the first two then this one is a must. If you haven't played the other two you don't really need to play the first two before starting this one, but I would still recommend them. as they are both outstanding games. Last but not least nanananananananana BATMAN!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better then Batman Asylum and Arkham City in my opinion, October 30, 2013
This review is from: Batman: Arkham Origins (Video Game)
I have played the PS3 and 360 version of this game and I will say that the Wii U is the version to buy. The Wii U is impressing me more lately I will add also. The gameplay is so fluid and smooth and IGN said they didn't care for the plot of Origins as much as the others but I like it already for how intense it feels and how it starts right out with fast paced action but doesn't have a rushed feeling at all. The graphics are extremely impressive also for these supposed out of date consoles in my opinion. The frame rate is definitely locked in at 30frps or 60. There is no screen taring or jaggies that i've seen while playing or any bugs as of yet. I also am highly impressed with how the cutscenes don't need any loading and look amazing. I would highly recommend buying the Wii U version and if you don't own a Wii U I still would recommend purchasing this game for any console.

3.0 out of 5 stars Best system for which to buy the game but what could have been..., November 20, 2013
This review is from: Batman: Arkham Origins (Video Game)

This time, the developer seemed to get lazy. The only benefit of the game pad was to have an always on map, which was great but in light of what I expected, quite a disappointment. The game is really good but I am reviewing it as how it was presented on the Wii U and considering that they did not make use of the game pad, I was disappointed.

The game pad is really an amazing gaming device. I understand why third parties do not like it though. For the PS and Xbox, it is the exact same game being produced, just for different systems. To make a great Wii U game requires more effort and changes to the game which they do not seem to be willing to make which is a shame. I am looking forward to Watchdogs for the Wii U as the game with all the hacking and the main character always using a smart tablet/phone to hack seems made for the Wii U but we will have to wait and see. My review does not take into account that the Wii U version offers no online play (as I believe is offered in the other two systems) but as I knew this going in, it would be wrong to ding it for that.

If you have another system, I would still purchase it for the Wii U over either the PS or Xbox. Simply having an always on map makes it much better but comparing to what could have and what should have been, it is disappointing. Even if the map had some functionality, I would have been greatly pleased but instead, you just get a static map. If you want to set a way point, you still have to do it through the controller menu which is silly when I should have been able to just touch the location on my map to set it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game on Wii U, October 28, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Batman: Arkham Origins (Video Game)
The best version of batman is on wii u. Great use of game pad and no glitches. Pick it up!!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Bat is Back, November 26, 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Batman: Arkham Origins (Video Game)
The Batman is back in Arkham Origins, the game is a good game, and what holds it back from greatness you may ask. 1- The game doesn't use the game pad in any of the unique ways that Arkham City did. 2- The landscape and gameplay feels identical to Batman AC. 3- They called it Origins but Batman has the "Bat" (his jet) and new gadgets that wasn't in Batman AC, And at times he feels more bad&$!, it throws off the game. But other than that the game has great graphics, good gameplay and you do feel like The Batman.

4.0 out of 5 stars More of the same leads to a great, but underwhelming, game, November 8, 2013
This review is from: Batman: Arkham Origins (Video Game)
First, allow me to specifically note that this review applies only for the massively under represented Wii U version of the game. That said, a lot of what I write here will likely apply to the 360/PS3/PC versions - but it's important to note that I have had zero hands on time with other versions.

Batman: Arkham Origins, as you likely know, depicts a much younger Bruce Wayne/Batman and acts as a prequel to the earlier Batman: Arkham Asylum game. It essentially depicts Batman's first encounter with several key characters in the Batman universe, none of which I'll spoil here. Story wise, Arkham Origins ins excellent, clearly an equal to if not better than the stories depicted in Arkham Asylum and Arkham City - and I do not compare those games lightly. Though the story starts slow and doesn't pick up steam until around after the second or third hour, once it picks up it doesn't let go, bringing you on a roller coaster ride that doesn't let up until the grand finale.

Before I get into actual gameplay, I'd like to point out that yes, the reports are true - Batman veteran voice actors Kevin Conroy (Bruce Wayne/Batman) and Mark Hamill (Joker) do not reprise their roles in this game. That is undoubtably disappointing. But that said, the new voice actors aren't bad; Roger Craig Smith, the new Batman, does his best to bring a younger, grittier twist on the Batman character - though the results are inconsistent, they're never annoying. Meanwhile, Troy Baker - Joker - offers up what I would consider a performance of a lifetime, managing to make the role entirely his own while catering to fans of Hamill's Joker all in one foul swoop. Baker is exemplary as The Joker.

All of that said, Batman: Arkham Origins plays extraordinarily similar to Arkham City - and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Fighting mechanics are as tight as ever, bringing some pretty swift new combos and techniques that are well implemented and do not disrupt the established flow of the game. Gotham City itself is essentially a carbon copy of Arkham City's over world, though grappling and gliding around the over world is just as fun as it was in the previous game. Although I have never played Arkham City: Armored Edition and can not therefor compare the two Wii U versions of the games, I will say that I believe the Gamepad is woefully under utilized in Arkham Origins, delegating itself mostly to an on-screen map and Investigation Mode control.

Speaking of Investigation Mode, it comes as the single new major addition to the franchise, and you can tell. Not nearly as refined, exciting, or even useful as advertising made it out to be, Investigation Mode - which allows you to scrub through special crime scenes to "figure out" what happened - is an exercise in frustration. It totally disrupts the flow of the game and is unwelcome at best and a complete waste of time at worst. I never enjoyed these sequences, and hope that if they make a return in an inevitable future Arkham game, they are handled with more care.

Graphically, Arkham Origins is probably one of the best representations of the Wii U's horsepower. Though the over world is extraordinarily large, Arkham Origins plays at a very smooth FPS - never dipping to a bothersome level - it "feels" decidedly next generation. Rendered in glorious 1080p (note: not upscaled from 720p), Arkham Origins is a beautiful game that clearly displays that the Wii U deserves to be spoken in the same sentence as the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One, and promises that the best is yet to come.

In conclusion, Arkham Origins is a killer Arkham game with a few killer problems. Overall similarity to previous games, a lukewarm performance by Roger Craig Smith as Batman, and Investigation Mode are all issues balanced by beautiful cinematography, a wonderful performance by Troy Baker as the Joker, combat system improvements, a remarkable story, and excellent graphics that act as a perfect showcase for the Wii U. Should you buy this game? Well, it depends - if you've played Arkham City and want more of the same, yes. If you haven't played Arkham City and want to experience the excellence of a modern Batman game, yes. But if you've played Arkham City and are desperate for something new and fresh feeling - you might want to hold off.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, just like Arkham City, and that's what I wanted, January 10, 2014
A. Hughes (San Diego, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Batman: Arkham Origins (Video Game)
Played the previous two games on my PS3, but specifically got this one on Wii U just for the Off TV play. That part is awesome. Being able to play on the gamepad while others watch TV is a killer feature.

The game to me seems to be like Arkham City exactly, just a new story, which is fine with me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Potential but has problems, May 7, 2014
This review is from: Batman: Arkham Origins (Video Game)
Alright, when I first received this game and put it in my Wii U system, I received the error code: 150-1031. It was telling me that the disc was unreadable and it wanted me to check the disc for any marks. The disc was spotless and it was the only game that my Wii U could not read. I arranged an exchange from Amazon and have received a new copy that actually plays the game.

Now, I have played through and beat the game. I have even done most of the side missions. The game itself is very fun when it works like it should. The graphics look good, there are plenty of side missions to do, the main story is interesting enough, the combat is exactly the same as Arkham City, there are plenty of enemies to fight, and there is an improved upgrade menu with many more upgrades to choose from when you level up.

However, this game doesn't fully integrate the Wii U gamepad in with the game, like the Arkham City: Armored Edition game does. In the Akham City game, your entire menu was on the gamepad. You could view maps, upgrade yourself, hack security systems, use B.A.T mode, switch and use your gadgets, and view in-game case files. In this game, your Wii U gamepad screen just has a map on it. That's all it really does. Everything else is just on your TV screen. In this sense, it hardly makes any difference if you play this on another system.

Another issue I have with this game, is that it is very buggy. Sometimes the game movement isn't as clean as it could be. When you move between city districts as Batman there may be a little lag just to load everything. When fighting enemies, sometimes one or two of them will be in between the walls and floors. They will just stand there in a fighting stance and I can't fight them. This makes it frustrating when on some missions you have to finish off all of your enemies. I had to restart from the last checkpoint a few times when this has happened. This game has froze on me a few times when I was moving between city districts and fighting enemies. Right now, I cannot finish the "Blackgate Prisoners" side mission because it ALWAYS freezes when I try to pursue the 17th prisoner.

Some people may have a problem with Arkham Origins feeling a little empty. I don't think they are talking about "empty" as in very little enemies to fight (because there is a lot). However, keep in mind that the game takes place in Gotham City during Christmas Eve night when Batman was a younger hero. The city is under a curfew. It is even snowing heavily during the majority of the game. I don't know about most people, but I wouldn't be out on a snowy Christmas Eve night anyways. However, there are plenty of groups of thugs out on the streets. Some may notice that certain parts of the city are borrowed from Arkham City, but I really don't mind that. This game is a prequel to Arkham Asylum and it's about how everything led up to the more current Batman games.

For me, the game was very fun to play through the first time. I put up with the lags, loading times, and glitches just to get through it. However, I am really discouraged from wanting to pick it up again. I don't want to deal with all of the problems again. This game was made in 2013 and it is now May of 2014. I would have thought that they would patch up the glitches by now. The only way that I would ever play this again is if they fixed all of the glitches. If you are really a Batman fanatic who don't mind the glitches, you may enjoy this game. If you hate playing games that have a closet full of performance problems, then you may be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid, but not quite perfect game, November 26, 2013
Desert Toyman (PALM DESERT, CA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Batman: Arkham Origins (Video Game)
As a long time Batman fan, I am excited that my favorite character has such an amazing video game franchise. Arkham Origins, the latest installment in that franchise is a solid continuation of the title.

First off, I've got to say that playing this game on the Wii U takes it to another level. Having previously played Arkham Asylum on the PC, it is really a pain to have to keep on hitting pause and switching back and forth to the map. On the Wii U, the map is always displayed on the Gamepad so a quick glance downward lets you know where you are without a break in gameplay. Also, the ability to play the game on the Gamepad is also helpful when someone else wants to watch TV, or you just want to play the game in another room. Though you do have to hit pause to look at your map, which reminds you why you would rather ber playing on the TV.

You start out as a younger version of Batman who is on the trail of Black Mask who has put a $50 million bounty on Batman's head. This has drawn 8 assassins to Gotham and they are looking to collect. This bounty attracts one of my favorite characters to Gotham City, Deathstroke. He is one of the first boss fights in the game, he has an amazing redesign in the Arkham tradition, and my only complaint about it is that it's too short. After you fight Deathstroke the one time, that's it. He's defeated. As the world's greatest mercenary, you sould think he would figure out a way to harass Batman At least a couple of times. Nope. Just the one fight, and a small cut scene at the end and that's all the Deathstroke you get. Unless you get the Dethstroke add-on.

This brings me to the reason why this game only gets 4 stars instead of 5. It is too short. It seems like some of the boss fights are only there to advance the story and are not much of a challenge. In fact, the Electrocutioner is solely in the game to allow Batman to acquire his electric gloves. literally. Batman takes him out with one punch!

You do get plenty of Bane and, Spoiler alert!, The Joker. But the game just seems to be lacking some of the depth of the previous games. That's not to say that the game is bad. It still has the fighting system, the challenge modes, and some interesting puzzles in the Riddler quests, though he's called Enigma here.

Oh that brings me to my beef with the Wii U version. We don't get an online mode. We pay the same price for the games as the other systems and don't get all of the features that they get. This is a shame because the game is simply more fun otherwise. One good thing about the Wii U version is that it seems to not have the problem with glitches that I have heard the other systems having. There are a lot of people who would collect Riddler data packs and accomplish other tasks only to not have them show as completed in their progress. I didn't have this problem once on the Wii U version.

Batman: Arkham Origins
Batman: Arkham Origins by Warner Home Video - Games (Nintendo Wii U)
$19.99 $18.59