4.0 out of 5 stars A New Batman Classic !
Finally! Previously available as two separate volumes, this is the first time all 12 monthly issues of the Loeb/Lee run have been put together, giving us the complete HUSH story.

Published on August 26, 2009 by P. M. Bradshaw

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Fire Version Specific Review
Published on December 24, 2011 by Leonard Whitman

4.0 out of 5 stars A New Batman Classic !, August 26, 2009
This review is from: Batman: Hush (Paperback)

Jeph Loeb gives us a very good detective story. Better is his character-study, nuanced approach to the Dark Knight, himself. Loeb manages to bring fresh eyes to the Batman, displaying a longing and a loneliness previously unrevealed. The scenes with Catwoman are some of the best in years. Those with Nightwing (the original Robin) show growth and a new maturity for both characters. And, of course, the new villain - Hush, is a great addition to the rogues gallery.

Jim Lee's contribution is possibly even greater. He draws some of the most iconic and visually stunning pictures of Batman, EVER. There was Neal Adams, Norm Breyfogle, Dick Sprang, and Alex Ross. Add to the `Top 5 Batman Artists of All Time' list - Jim Lee. And he may have taken over the Number 1 spot, at that! Sharp, dynamic, and nothing less than electrifying, Lee's work here is some of the greatest artwork ever done in a graphic novel or comic book.

Ranking high on the list (just after The Dark Knight Returns, Batman: Year One, and Batman: Absolution), HUSH instantly becomes one of the most important and character-defining Batman stories of all time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to get back into Batman!, September 10, 2009
Tai (Bowling Green, Oh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Batman: Hush (Paperback)
I've been out of the comic loop for a long time. Especially DC comics. Trades are great since I have no comic book shops local to me and I like nice big volumes to take in and digest over a long afternoon.

Batman: Hush is great in regards to letting you get back into the mind of the Bat. Hush, him(or her)self, is a great villain that is well done and there is also a good number of cameos by other mainstays and a twisted ending to the whole thing to boot!

I highly, highly recommend it to new or longtime Batman fans. I feel you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate Batman story, September 6, 2009
This review is from: Batman: Hush (Paperback)
I'm not much of a comics reader, but Batman is easily my favorite character (although I'm in the minority who have found his live-action adaptations to be disappointing). And this particular collection is THE comic book for people who don't often read comic books.

Only a passing knowledge of Batman lore is needed to enjoy the story, and virtually all of the characters in his history make appearances of varying degrees. The highlight is his battle of wits with Superman, and seeing the famous contrast in styles between the two characters at work here, both as combatants and allies. It makes one desperately wish they'd make a live-action crossover film (and while one almost did get made before these current reboots, it seems unlikely now, save for the upcoming Justice League film). There are also some great interactions here between Clark, Bruce, and Lois.

Jim Lee's style can be a bit too technical and lacking in character, but I'm still a fan of his clean, dynamic style, and it's great to see it applied to the Batman world. His Catwoman/Selina is particularly memorable. The way all the characters are shoehorned into the story can come off as contrived in some regards, but for the most part it works and makes for a highly entertaining adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing..., January 15, 2011
This review is from: Batman: Hush (Paperback)
I'm not a huge Batman man, myself... this graphic novel is actually the first I've read of its kind. I've been around comics and its characters for a while, so I've gathered some knowledge throughout the years. Childhood movies and television shows stuck with me more than I know. With that, this book was still amazing.

The story unfolds so well. The use of such a canon of characters is a testament to Jeph Loeb's writing. Batman feels like Batman.

Jim Lee's art is actually my most favorite aspect. His style is above and beyond what I thought I knew in comics. I still expect those weird dot-matrix colors and drawings of the old days (Not to say that style doesn't have its charm), but this artwork surprised me. I'm officially on the hunt for other Jim Lee works. The print-style lets these colors pop. Even though it's a paperback, it doesn't feel overly fragile.

So, as a new Batman fan, this book is amazing. Just getting into comics? You'll love it. Been into comics? You'll love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hush? No I can't keep quiet on this masterpiece!, January 25, 2013
This review is from: Batman: The Complete Hush (Kindle Edition)
So back in the day my brother worked at a comic shop. He wasn't payed but he got store credit. And believe me, Store credit was more precious than any form of salary to him. He would read comics all day at work then come home and read more. He was extremely fascinated with the dark knight. He would give me the run down on what was going on in each series he was reading. And in a way he would theory craft what would happen next. I would play along with him and to me it was just that... a game. But for him it was his passion.

7 years ago for some reason he decided to take his life. It devastated our family and still continues too. Not a day goes by where I don't think of him or the Times we spent together.

For Christmas this year I received a kindle fire hd. Scrolling through the books I immediately locked In on "hush" . So many memories sparked In my brain and it was a definite buy for me.

The story was amazing. Every page filled with awesome artwork and colors that completely set the tone. From old villains to catwoman looking so seductive, from the twists and turns and brutal past to the beauty of a love story intertwined in such chaos.

Each twist and turn had me smiling just thinking of the time he probably spent trying to dissect the story and predict what was to come. Paying so much attention To the minor details. This story is more than a story for me. It's precious memories and thoughts of my brother being reawakened and relived

And I loved every minute of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply The Best, October 22, 2012
This review is from: Batman: Hush (Paperback)
Batman: Hush is just one of those graphic novels that, before it was even released, was already a hit. Comic book fans could not wait to see what the industry's finest (artist Jim Lee and writer Jeph Loeb) would be able to offer. This is one of my favorite Batman stories out there and I also think by comic book standards it can be considered one of the best. The art of course is phenomenal, if you have no prior experience with Jim Lee's art you certainly won't forget it after reading this.

The writing is great, but what may be most impressive is the story. In 12 issues this team manages to introduce almost every single major character in Gotham City AND deliver an excellent story with a new villain after which the book is named. If you're a Batman fan and you like graphic novels this is a must read, it's up there with the greatest of all time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Fire Version Specific Review, December 24, 2011
This review is from: Batman: The Complete Hush (Kindle Edition)
I decided to try reading one of the DC collections that were made available specifically for the Kindle Fire and chose HUSH because I had never read it before and had heard good things. The story and art are enjoyable. The experience of reading it on the Kindle Fire is not. It limits my options on how to read the story. I am not able to rotate it into landscape mode and the only zoom capabilities are the pre-defined ones that walk you through the story panel by panel. The predefined zoom is still not enough to sometimes read the captions.

If Amazon chooses to update the Kindle Fire software to allow me to control my own zoom and to rotate the display, then I will score this higher.

2.0 out of 5 stars Why all the hype?, November 8, 2013
This review is from: Batman: Hush (Paperback)
This review is spoiler-free for anyone who has not read Hush.

I understand that Jeph Loeb is widely lauded amongst Batman fans and is considered to have written many of the best Batman stories. However, having read a number of his works, the impression with which I come away is that they're actually not *good*. His style is consistent from story to story, which would be admirable in other circumstances, but the stories are convoluted without depth and at the same time predictable, which loses any luster after a first read.

This is especially true of Hush. From the beginning you're sure you know Hush's identity but early on through some spoilery means your suspect is no longer a suspect which, admittedly, lends some interest to the story. Then, at the end, when you find out you were right all along, the reveal is nothing but inflammatory to realize you were fooled with a cheap cliche parlor trick and Loeb's attempt to pull the wool over your eyes is insulting. As a reader, especially with Loeb's perceived prestige, one gives the writer the benefit of a doubt and assumes early on that he would not resort to such tactics, and you're left feeling violated and that you've been taken advantage of when all is said and done. This is further compounded when Hush's ultimate motivation for stalking Batman is revealed, which is ludicrously juvenile and unbelievable and still yet diminishes the impact of the overall story.

There's a fun moment at the end between Batman and the Riddler in which Batman proves his intellectual superiority but this is a small denouement that adds nothing to the story. This cements the point that Loeb's style seems to consist of throwing every possible member of Batman's rogues gallery in regardless of need, the inclusion of whom in tangential throwaway roles is nothing but unjustified fan service, with an internal bonus to provide the artist with a change of scenery so as to not get bored (see: The Long Halloween and Dark Victory). They are not necessary. They're filler for an otherwise bland and empty story.

Read it if you must, but expect nothing exceptional. If you're not a die-hard Batman fan don't bother.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful., April 20, 2014
This review is from: Batman: Hush (Paperback)
I love everything Batman. So naturally, I thoroughly enjoyed this. The artwork is beautiful and the story is captivating. I only wish I could have read it in the original run.

5.0 out of 5 stars top shelf batman, January 8, 2014
This review is from: Batman: The Complete Hush (Kindle Edition)
this collection of issues has both things that make for a great comic. 1 artist jim lee- icon 2 writer jeph loeb-brilliant. when your artist and your writer both love the characters and the world they are in it shows and that's why this is worth every penny.

Batman: The Complete Hush