5.0 out of 5 stars An action thriller set in a somewhat Sci-Fi settings
Twenty years from now things will change. One of the possible scenarios is in this book. As one of the characters described it - "We're paying for the excesses of past generations and their inability to make tough decisions." That, however, is just a backdrop for the action-adventure set in the near future.

Scott Pierce was a man with good life and a career in...
Published on November 21, 2012 by Oleg Medvedkov

3.0 out of 5 stars Scary that this could really happen!
This genre isn't my usual preference yet I immensely enjoyed Battalion. There's not a dull moment in this book, not even on the very last page. This reads like a movie and is full of excitement. This seems like a book that would reach young men, especially those interested in conspiracy theories and global destruction!

I received this book to review. These...
Published on November 18, 2012 by savingsinseconds

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An action thriller set in a somewhat Sci-Fi settings, November 21, 2012
This review is from: Battalion (Kindle Edition)

Scott Pierce was a man with good life and a career in the FSA- the Federal Security Agency, a futuristic amalgamation of CIA and FBI. After his wife died, he abandons all of it and goes undercover, integrating himself into the Brotherhood, a large terrorist organization. In order to become accepted, he spends two years in jail, until the time to save a life of a despicable criminal gives him the opportunity he seeks. This is where the story begins.

Pierce is a character who is set on revenge and, how he puts it - "joining the woman he loves." That smacks of martyrdom but does set the immediate motivation for the main hero. There's really no black and white gradations for the characters, both main and secondary, as, thankfully, is the case with better contemporary novels.

One good thing about the books we have access to nowadays, thanks to the ease of publishing provided by Kindle and similar platforms, is that we get to experience books that are not formulaic. There's no gatekeeper in the form of the big publisher that would say something like - "Well, good story but, the format is really not something the reader would want. We are not going to take a risk on it." How many good books haven't gotten published because of that, I wonder. Now, however, these books are on the market and the only gatekeepers here are we, the readers. We either like the book or not, we can recommend a book to our friends or we can say they shouldn't bother.

About this book. I do agree with some of the other reviewers - the book is written in such a way that sometimes it almost feels like watching a movie. Is it a good movie? Yes, I'd go see it. From the literary standpoint, the prose is tight, the narrative unfolds smoothly, and the characters are well fleshed out. The action is cinematic and fast, and the background world is revealed to us in small details that make almost a subconscious impressions - like the stained table cloth or dim lightning levels. There's less description as the story progresses, however, which I think is a mistake on the part of the author - action and character exploration is all well but those little bits of description created a better ambiance in the beginning. However, the cast of characters is large, adding to the descriptive side of the narrative.

The novel, being set in the future, demonstrates possible technologies that could be achieved in just a couple decades. Most of it is something we can relate to and almost recognize; a few things, like Graviton tech, seem to be out there. I wouldn't really classify the novel as a pure Sci-Fi, since the technologies described could probably be replaced by something we use now and would still have a similar impact on the story. As such, they do not seem essential. In my opinion, it's an action story set in a slightly Sci-Fi settings.

All in all, this is a solid piece of writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Novel From A Filmaker That Reads Like A Movie, November 23, 2012
Brian (Santa Ana, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battalion (Kindle Edition)
Complain if you want, but to write visually in a movie style is damn hard. Adam Hamdy pulls it off real well. Film has a set of communication tools different from novels, so to write in a movie style you either need years of training or a lot of visual talent and no training at all.

The premise and execution of a post-resource world is an old tale, and the story is fairly well along the road of others, with a conspiracy, a master villain, sexy moles inside the government, and a hero out for revenge who can't let himself get distracted.

I'm not sure here if the future craft holds much water, and don't know if the author takes the technological and resource issues seriously, but don't really care either. Often, it's fun just to get the bad guy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Scary that this could really happen!, November 18, 2012
This review is from: Battalion (Paperback)

I received this book to review. These opinions are 100% mine.

2.0 out of 5 stars battalion, September 3, 2013
David Morris (Ryde, NSW, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battalion (Kindle Edition)
Most every reviewer has said the same thing, but I agree with them. The idea behind this book is entirely possible and very scary. If an operative of the government security department cannot get his own people to believe him, what chance does he have?

But that isn't why I rated this so poorly. To me the action in the book was written one time, then changed slightly in each instance. Frankly, it bored me so much that I had to give it up. I would like to think had I stuck it out, the book would go somewhere, but not in a circle. I just won't be there to find out.

Judging by the sheer number of 4 and 5 star reviews, my review is definitely in the minority. So it is up to the individual whether or not to take this on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast Paced and Interesting Enough, January 28, 2013
This review is from: Battalion (Kindle Edition)
I don't remember when I actually picked Battalion up, or what prompted me to do so. It drifted down my Kindle screen for quite some time before I finally opened it up and started reading. And, about 15 minutes later, closed it. The hook didn't hook me. In fact I had a sinking feeling I had been down this whole road before.
But I have already pointed out that I want to start reading more and I won't do that if I don't keep reading. So I went back to Battalion and started where I left off.
In truth, part of the story struck painfully trope, but in a way this helped. The characters fit into familiar roles and the story moved with near constant action. The constant action meant there wasn't time for the characters to develop, though there was time for the expected self doubts along the way.
I am not making this book sound that great. In fact this might be reading much worse than I intended. Let me sort of start over.
Battalion is a fast moving, action packed novel that started by moving and doesn't let up all the way through to the epilogue. Like an action move, the character fit expected roles. The plot, not overly complex and centered on the conflict between the main character and the head of a terrorist organization, doesn't pause long enough for you to wonder about it.
The setting is definitely my favorite part of the novel. A dystopian near future that feels like it might be right around the corner. It was not a comfortable feeling, and carried undertones of deeper questions regarding safety - what we as a society will do to feel safe and how safe that actually makes up. It did in in an extremely neutral way, which is impressive.
Of course, you don't have to consider what else the novel is trying to say other than chases, gun fights, some tech, and explosions are fun. And they are.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, January 2, 2013
Golfnut (Mesa, AZ, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battalion (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed the book, good plot and lots of action. Set in future and bit of high tech toys to play with. Author did jump around more than a bit but overall worthreading

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, December 21, 2012
This review is from: Battalion (Kindle Edition)
I fully enjoyed this book. The action was awesome and kept me riveted through out. If your looking for action and entertainment give it a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Action packed, December 21, 2012
This review is from: Battalion (Kindle Edition)
Action packed, plot lines for near future quite feasible, exciting. The only problem that I had was with how invincible the main chacter was, a little James Bond-ish or Rambo-ish

4.0 out of 5 stars Spies, Suspense and Espionage - Enjoyable book!, November 16, 2012
This review is from: Battalion (Paperback)
I do love history and espionage stories, so this book was right up my alley! This novel, Battalion, by author Adam Hamdy offers up a fast paced story with well defined characters - and there are quite a few of them!

The book centers around Scott Pierce, a man that is trying to stop the downfall of democracy and prevent anarchy in the US. He is hunting a man that goes by the name Spider who is the mastermind of this downfall.

As the story begins, we are 20 twenty years into the future and as current experts have agreed is quite possible, we are extremely short on oil, we have energy shortages, mercenaries are running security in some cities and terrorism is running rampant.

The FBI and CIA are no in existence, but Pierce, a member of the FSA, has made it his goal to catch the Spider. Not only to stop the huge terrorist plot he is planning against the US, but the Spider was responsible for a bombing that killed his wife - and he is dead set on making sure the Spider dies.

I really enjoyed this novel and unlike some, I was pulled in after the first page. If you enjoy spy-type stories with a bit of reality mixed in, I think you will really enjoy it too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Battalion, October 12, 2012
This review is from: Battalion (Kindle Edition)
Battalion is a fasted paced action novel about a future that could really happen. Adam Hamdy uses detailed knowledge about security and world affairs to make seem even more realistic. The character the Spider plays as a perfect foil to the protagonist Scott Pierce. If you're looking for a good read I'd definitely recommend checking out Battalion.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›