5.0 out of 5 stars Very fun and educational toy!
Published on September 16, 2008 by W. Brock

1.0 out of 5 stars Definitiely no power in this drill!
Published on December 20, 2010 by 3xmom

5.0 out of 5 stars Very fun and educational toy!, September 16, 2008
This review is from: Battat Take-A-Part Airplane (Toy)
We have had the Take-A-Part Airplane (and Take-A-Part Crane Truck) for over 4 years. They are both very durable and fun for kids of many ages. My oldest son got them when he was 3 years old. He loved to take them apart and put them together (with help) and he played with them alot once they were together. At 7, he can put them together himself and he still plays with them on occasion.

My younger son started playing with them when he was two. He does the same thing...loves to take them apart and put them back together with help. He also plays with them alot once they are together, even to the point of throwing the plane through the air, so it could fly. :-) After his first attempt, we didn't let him do that, but it didn't hurt the toy at all. It is very strong and durable.

I highly recommend these toys because they are very durable and extremely entertaining. In addition, each of them come in their own durable plastic boxes which contain all the parts when they are not being played with. After 4 years and an across country move, we did lose two small parts. I called the manufacturer and they sent me the two parts free of charge. You can't ask for better service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this only if you are prepared to hear the sound of a very small electric drill all the time, August 15, 2008
This review is from: Battat Take-A-Part Airplane (Toy)
Oh, how my son loves this toy. He insists on bringing the drill with him to preschool, the supermarket, etc. and "fixes" things everywhere he goes.
The airplane itself is great and lots of fun to take apart and reassemble.
If you have a child who is mechanically inclined, this is an outstanding toy for him/her.

PS. Unlike the other reviewer, we have not had a problem with the drill; it has endured lots of abuse and still works OK.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Toys Ever!, March 9, 2009
M. Sudbeck (Hiawatha, KS USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battat Take-A-Part Airplane (Toy)
This toy has provided MANY hours of entertainment for my 3 year old son. For the first week or so he needed some help to remember where all the parts went, but soon he was putting it together all by himself. Months later he still loves to put it together and take it apart. He's brought it to show and tell at preschool repeatedly b/c he's so proud of it. And it makes me smile to watch him learn how things have parts and how they go together and can come back apart. And it is very durable. Nice heavy plastic. It has been thrown around when he tries to make it fly and every single part is still in one piece and crack free! Love this toy! We have recently purchased the Take A Part Crane for Easter and have high hopes for it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a unique toy!, April 27, 2010
This review is from: Battat Take-A-Part Airplane (Toy)
Purchased this for our son's second birthday last month. Fell in love with the concept of being able to deconstruct a vehicle bolt by bolt using a toy drill. There are so many construction sets and building blocks available on the market, but I have yet to see a toy like this. It's essentially a 3-D puzzle that truly challenges the child's mind. And when you're done putting it back together, you can play with it like regular toy airplane. The only downside is the fact that the drill is a bit weak. Though I've noticed that it works just fine after having to hand-loosen the bolts for the very first time. Only use the drill that's included to loosen and tighten the bolts and there should never be an issue. I plan on purchasing the crane very soon!

4.0 out of 5 stars Truly a toy for a youngster grow with!, January 14, 2011
This review is from: Battat Take-A-Part Airplane (Toy)
I ordered this up for our (at the time) 20 month old. I don't need to repeat the praise of the other reviews; it's a hit! Even as just a toy airplane with a spinning propeller, it holds my son's interest. Simple, sturdy, interesting. He's currently content with installing and removing the prop, and prefers to do it by hand. He'd rather hold the power driver to his lips and pretend like he's brushing his teeth.

Ok...

The power driver that came with this airplane is horrible. It doesn't have the oompf required to remove the bolts. Seriously -- it's a dud. I took the recommendation of another reviewer and bought the "Design & Drill" Educational Insights Design and Drill Activity Center by Educational Insights. Design & Drill comes with a power driver that uses 3 AA batteries (instead of 2 used by Battat -- maybe that makes the difference??) and different bits, but the Educational Insight bits all fit the Battat bolts perfectly. And the Design & Drill comes with a plastic combo wrench and screwdriver handle, so the power driver can be tucked away on the shelf if you want a break from the noise or are out of batteries.

The Design & Drill driver still struggles on bolts that have been tightened too snuggly, but these fasteners aren't "tight" in the adult sense of the world an some simple finger manipulation will easily break them free.

The D&D driver is available as a separate item from Educational Insight's website for about $8, but it looks as though it doesn't come with any bits. And again, Battat's bits don't fit into EI's driver (or vice versa), but EI's bits fit Battat's bolt heads perfectly.

I imagine that more of Battat's "Take Apart" toys will eventually end up in our household. They're fun, even for us big kids. Fix the underpowered power driver and I'll give it 5 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Definitiely no power in this drill!, December 20, 2010
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Battat Take-A-Part Airplane (Toy)
We were just wrapping this for Christmas, removing all the protective wrapping so my son can play with it as soon as he opens it. We put the batteries (not included)in the drill and tried it out. The drill worked fine until we tried to actually use it on a screw. It didn't have enough power in either direction. We tried another set of batteries with the same results. Very disappointing, but at least we found out before our son on Christmas morning!

4.0 out of 5 stars Drill lasted only 5 days, January 21, 2013
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Battat Take-A-Part Airplane (Toy)
I purchased this as a birthday gift for a three-year-old. He absolutely loved it for the first few days, working for hours at a time. Then one by one, we misplaced parts. Fortunately, the screws from his Design and Drill Activity Center (which has a similar drill and lots of extra plastic screws) ***will*** work on most of the airplane parts, so we were still able to use the toy.

The real problem for us was that the Battat drill from the take-apart airplane set stopped working after five days of use. Like other reviewers, we tried replacing the battery, but it clearly is a mechanical problem. I purchased this at a local toy store and will return it directly to them. I will try to exchange it for another set - maybe we will have better luck with another drill. No warranty is listed, and other reviewers wrote that Battat does not provide good customer service.

The idea behind the toy is wonderful, and our three-year-old was very happy with the toy. He did need help assembling it, but could take it entirely to pieces by himself and would ask for help re-assembling. If the drill would just work consistently, I would be able to recommend it as a great parent-child activity. However, without a working drill, children will be very frustrated and disappointed with this set.

***Update 7/2/2013: Six months after we exchanged the broken toy, our son is still playing with the new set almost every day. He absolutely loves taking it apart and putting it back together, and is getting pretty good at doing this all by himself. Do be careful not to lose any parts, or it becomes a bit frustrating... We are still looking for the propeller we lost weeks ago!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great toy with some caveats., March 2, 2011
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Battat Take-A-Part Airplane (Toy)
I picked up this toy on sale from Borders and my (then) 33 month old loved it. But soon it was reduced to a bunch of parts lying all over the place and the sound of a drill whenever he happened upon it. So here are my personal experiences with it.
1. A really cool toy for kids to get familiar with tools in general and also some motor skill abilities.
2. The toy also allows for kids to explore putting things together to make something work. Very nice.
3. Where it starts becoming a pain is the number of parts that are required to meaningfully create the plane. One lost screw and the whole plane is incomplete and for toddlers, the lack of completeness can result in a lot of frustration.
4. The drill sound is very enjoyable for kids so much so they just keep running it until the battery runs out. So beware the drill sound.
5. Once the initial excitement is over and the plane has been disassembled and reassembled a few times, the fun factor starts tapering off and the toy (or rather the parts) get relegated to the bottom part of the toy bin.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, May 24, 2008
This review is from: Battat Take-A-Part Airplane (Toy)
We got this to keep at our house for our 3 year old grandson and he absolutely loves it. Now at 4.5 years old, he can take it apart and put it together all by himself and hasn't let us help in a long time. At first he did want to drill things, but got over that fast after some unfavorable reactions. It's a great toy for small motor skills and logical thinking. His younger brother has shown an interest in it and should start using it soon. I finally found a couple other ones I will buy. I don't think we've replaced the batteries in the drill in the 2 years we've had it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, September 3, 2009
This review is from: Battat Take-A-Part Airplane (Toy)
This is the best idea for children! My son just turned 3 yrs old, and received this as a gift. He still has a little trouble putting it together (it took me a while to figure it out too), however, it keeps him focused. The reward being the sense of accomplishment the children feel - you can't beat that! A suggestion for younger children who want to do it by themselves...keep the wheels intact, and just let them focus on the body and wings of the plane. It's not as overwhelming =) Highly recommend this toy for its educational value and for building self esteem.

Battat Take-A-Part Airplane