Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc blink-182 Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Color: Blue|Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

on September 16, 2008
We have had the Take-A-Part Airplane (and Take-A-Part Crane Truck) for over 4 years. They are both very durable and fun for kids of many ages. My oldest son got them when he was 3 years old. He loved to take them apart and put them together (with help) and he played with them alot once they were together. At 7, he can put them together himself and he still plays with them on occasion.

My younger son started playing with them when he was two. He does the same thing...loves to take them apart and put them back together with help. He also plays with them alot once they are together, even to the point of throwing the plane through the air, so it could fly. :-) After his first attempt, we didn't let him do that, but it didn't hurt the toy at all. It is very strong and durable.

I highly recommend these toys because they are very durable and extremely entertaining. In addition, each of them come in their own durable plastic boxes which contain all the parts when they are not being played with. After 4 years and an across country move, we did lose two small parts. I called the manufacturer and they sent me the two parts free of charge. You can't ask for better service.
22 comments|395 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 15, 2008
Oh, how my son loves this toy. He insists on bringing the drill with him to preschool, the supermarket, etc. and "fixes" things everywhere he goes.
The airplane itself is great and lots of fun to take apart and reassemble.
If you have a child who is mechanically inclined, this is an outstanding toy for him/her.

PS. Unlike the other reviewer, we have not had a problem with the drill; it has endured lots of abuse and still works OK.
0Comment|118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 9, 2009
This toy has provided MANY hours of entertainment for my 3 year old son. For the first week or so he needed some help to remember where all the parts went, but soon he was putting it together all by himself. Months later he still loves to put it together and take it apart. He's brought it to show and tell at preschool repeatedly b/c he's so proud of it. And it makes me smile to watch him learn how things have parts and how they go together and can come back apart. And it is very durable. Nice heavy plastic. It has been thrown around when he tries to make it fly and every single part is still in one piece and crack free! Love this toy! We have recently purchased the Take A Part Crane for Easter and have high hopes for it too.
on December 20, 2010
We were just wrapping this for Christmas, removing all the protective wrapping so my son can play with it as soon as he opens it. We put the batteries (not included)in the drill and tried it out. The drill worked fine until we tried to actually use it on a screw. It didn't have enough power in either direction. We tried another set of batteries with the same results. Very disappointing, but at least we found out before our son on Christmas morning!
I ordered this up for our (at the time) 20 month old. I don't need to repeat the praise of the other reviews; it's a hit! Even as just a toy airplane with a spinning propeller, it holds my son's interest. Simple, sturdy, interesting. He's currently content with installing and removing the prop, and prefers to do it by hand. He'd rather hold the power driver to his lips and pretend like he's brushing his teeth.

Ok...

The power driver that came with this airplane is horrible. It doesn't have the oompf required to remove the bolts. Seriously -- it's a dud. I took the recommendation of another reviewer and bought the "Design & Drill" Educational Insights Design and Drill Activity Center by Educational Insights. Design & Drill comes with a power driver that uses 3 AA batteries (instead of 2 used by Battat -- maybe that makes the difference??) and different bits, but the Educational Insight bits all fit the Battat bolts perfectly. And the Design & Drill comes with a plastic combo wrench and screwdriver handle, so the power driver can be tucked away on the shelf if you want a break from the noise or are out of batteries.

The Design & Drill driver still struggles on bolts that have been tightened too snuggly, but these fasteners aren't "tight" in the adult sense of the world an some simple finger manipulation will easily break them free.

The D&D driver is available as a separate item from Educational Insight's website for about $8, but it looks as though it doesn't come with any bits. And again, Battat's bits don't fit into EI's driver (or vice versa), but EI's bits fit Battat's bolt heads perfectly.

I imagine that more of Battat's "Take Apart" toys will eventually end up in our household. They're fun, even for us big kids. Fix the underpowered power driver and I'll give it 5 stars.
on April 27, 2010
Purchased this for our son's second birthday last month. Fell in love with the concept of being able to deconstruct a vehicle bolt by bolt using a toy drill. There are so many construction sets and building blocks available on the market, but I have yet to see a toy like this. It's essentially a 3-D puzzle that truly challenges the child's mind. And when you're done putting it back together, you can play with it like regular toy airplane. The only downside is the fact that the drill is a bit weak. Though I've noticed that it works just fine after having to hand-loosen the bolts for the very first time. Only use the drill that's included to loosen and tighten the bolts and there should never be an issue. I plan on purchasing the crane very soon!
on January 21, 2013
I purchased this as a birthday gift for a three-year-old. He absolutely loved it for the first few days, working for hours at a time. Then one by one, we misplaced parts. Fortunately, the screws from his Design and Drill Activity Center (which has a similar drill and lots of extra plastic screws) ***will*** work on most of the airplane parts, so we were still able to use the toy.

The real problem for us was that the Battat drill from the take-apart airplane set stopped working after five days of use. Like other reviewers, we tried replacing the battery, but it clearly is a mechanical problem. I purchased this at a local toy store and will return it directly to them. I will try to exchange it for another set - maybe we will have better luck with another drill. No warranty is listed, and other reviewers wrote that Battat does not provide good customer service.

The idea behind the toy is wonderful, and our three-year-old was very happy with the toy. He did need help assembling it, but could take it entirely to pieces by himself and would ask for help re-assembling. If the drill would just work consistently, I would be able to recommend it as a great parent-child activity. However, without a working drill, children will be very frustrated and disappointed with this set.

***Update 7/2/2013: Six months after we exchanged the broken toy, our son is still playing with the new set almost every day. He absolutely loves taking it apart and putting it back together, and is getting pretty good at doing this all by himself. Do be careful not to lose any parts, or it becomes a bit frustrating... We are still looking for the propeller we lost weeks ago!
on December 28, 2014
My nearly 3 year old loves this thing. Especially the drill with the bits he can switch out. He caught on in no time what he was supposed to do and now requests to play with it all the time. Do be aware of small parts if you have a chewer or (in our case) a younger sibling in the house. Would recommend for any child who enjoys finding out what makes things work or is obsessed with vehicles.
review image
on September 21, 2014
We ordered one of these for our great grandson birthday. Gave it to him on birthday. Power drill was defective, forward switch did not work. So tried to explain to our grandson that we would get a replacement. Received the second one. It was also defective. Not sure if we will order a third replacement. Very disappointed with this toy. Great grandson still waiting for birthday present.
on September 28, 2012
This toy says made for 3+. "designed for your pre-schooler in mind" Well not for all 3 and 4 year olds. Many small pieces. One piece went missing. And the toy is useless. We have many construction sets and the screws are not standard or do not match others. I called the number on the box and the lady said "sorry we don't sell parts." So now I spent 20 dollars on a toy that is useless. Thanks for nothing Battat. I have other items from this company on my shopping list for Christmas and I won't be buying them. I would be happy to pay for additional parts but I was told no we don't have them. They are unavailable. Faulty customer service. BEWARE!!!! You would think they would sell parts to this item or at least additional screws.