5.0 out of 5 stars So much fun!
Published on December 31, 2011 by Stasia A

1.0 out of 5 stars Pediatrician with a large safety/choking concern
Published 15 months ago by nick

5.0 out of 5 stars So much fun!, December 31, 2011
This review is from: B. Woofer Guitar (Toy)
I got this for my daughter, who is almost 15 months; a bit under the recommended age, but we supervise her with everything. She LOVES this toy, and it makes us laugh. Three settings: acoustic, electric, and "howl", and boy, do we howl with laughter at the funny little songs it plays. It has a little bone-shaped whammy bar that plays a pre-recorded guitar bit. The strap has a velcro bit so you can open it (she was trying to put it around her neck, but I worried about her choking), and there are so many songs, not just the funny little dog parody songs, but instrumental ditties using acoustic, electric, and howl. True, it takes some effort to use the little strumming bit; it's not sensitive or intuitive. She's not interested in that part, though, and I tried it out at the store before I bought it, so I knew what we were getting into. It was a big hit. Sometimes we adults - parents, grandparents, and uncles - all play with it when she's sleeping. It's well-built, solid, super cute, and funny. Volume control, too, plus, if you bop him on the nose, he shuts up. :)

The song parodies it does might teach your kids different words to common songs, like "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" is "Yip yip, bark bark, bow-wow-wow, how I wish dogs just me-owed, what a racket all night long...", "Fancy Poodle" for "Yankee Doodle", etc. I don't care, but some folks might. I think it's cute.

He does whimper sadly if you ignore him, though. Just once, then he stops.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strap is no longer a safety issue, October 22, 2014
This review is from: B. Woofer Guitar (Toy)
I just purchased this guitar last week from Target. The strap has a velcro attachment on both ends now, so you can remove the strap entirely if you are not comfortable with your child using it. So it seems the company really did listen to customers and corrected the problem. Hats off to them!

As far as the guitar itself, my 2-1/2 year old is not that interested in it. He hasn't done much except to scan through the different songs. I guess he doesn't yet understand or appreciate how to use it. So it will probably be a while before he can really enjoy this toy. However, it seems to be very durable and to offer more features than many other similar toys.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pediatrician with a large safety/choking concern, September 13, 2013
This review is from: B. Woofer Guitar (Toy)
I'll admit that my son loved this toy however the strap is not adjustable enough or come with a quick release mechanism to keep it from being a choking hazard. My own son has had it tangled around his neck several times and needed help getting it off. Another friends daughter also reported issues of strangulation with the strap and barely was able to get it off. The velcro is not able to be release if it is part of the twisted portion around a child's neck and there are no other release mechanisms or ways to adjust it short enough so it cant twist around the neck. I've contacted the company about this and it sounds like as long as it is meeting minimum safety standards, they don't care if a kid dies and blew me off.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but unsafe, March 19, 2014
This review is from: B. Woofer Guitar (Toy)
I see that previous reviewers have mentioned the strangulation hazard with this toy, and got nowhere with the company. That is a sad state of affairs when a children's company doesn't take children's safety seriously.

That said, my kids love this guitar. I, however, just cut the straps off this morning after my three year old came out to find me with the guitar hanging off her and the straps twisted tightly around her neck. "Momma, I choking."

What I thought was a safety release tab on the strap was actually Velcro (my mistake for not checking it) and doesn't release under the weight of the guitar (my kids can't even open it), plus once the straps are twisted enough the tab is completely unreachable.

Idiotic. In this day and age with all the safety regulations and concerns, they put something like this on the market and offer zero accountability for it?

Anyway, straps are cut and the guitar is still functional. It's cute, it's fun, but it is indeed a safety hazard.

I will contact the company myself and if they don't at least offer some semblance of concern then we will have purchased our last product from them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Guitar for Kids, October 9, 2013
This review is from: B. Woofer Guitar (Toy)
Purchased guitar for 2 year old boy and they really like it. My son carried this around the house for days, playing, singing and dancing to the music. We are happy with this purchase.

Pros:
Fun toy with lots of different noises
Cute shape/design
Lots of different buttons to press
Used by both a 4 year old and 2 year old on regular basis

Cons:
Awkward to carry, strap gets twisted alot
Volume does not go very low, even at the lowest setting it is still pretty loud

1.0 out of 5 stars Daughter Almost Strangled By This Toy, September 13, 2013
This review is from: B. Woofer Guitar (Toy)
We have owned this toy for 2 years and our children have enjoyed it. HOWEVER, the neck strap is very dangerous. My daughter was playing with it yesterday and twisted the guitar too many times. By the time I saw her, her entire face was dark red and she was terrified. I can't stand to think about what would have happened if I hadn't seen her in time. She could not get it untwisted. When it twists in this manner, the Velcro release strap is impossible to get to. We have contacted the company and they were not concerned in the least. I have cut the strap off of my guitar but will not be buying any more toys of this brand unless they issue a recall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend this!, March 1, 2012
This review is from: B. Woofer Guitar (Toy)
This guitar does so much! My son has had this toy for 2 months and we are still discovering new songs it plays.

There are several different ways to play this guitar. It has three modes: acoustic, electric and "woof." All are great. Kids can strum chord progressions, and play different notes on the scale (along the dog's back). The bone plays fun riffs, too.

The lyrics to the songs are hilarious (a song book comes with the guitar so you can sing along). The melodies are familiar and cover lots of different genres. There's even a song that sounds like a kid's version of Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven."

I haven't even scratched the surface in this review -- just buy this guitar. You'll LOVE it! (oh yeah, and your kid will love it, too)

5.0 out of 5 stars My 2-year-old LOVES this!, September 13, 2012
This review is from: B. Woofer Guitar (Toy)
I got this for my son for his 2nd birthday and it's the best toy he's ever had. It keeps him occupied alone for hours when I need to do something else. No matter how rough he is with it - it's completely sturdy. There are many different songs and sounds that keep this toy interesting for 1 and 2 year olds.

1.0 out of 5 stars SCARY NECK STRAP-Be Careful!!!, April 27, 2014
This review is from: B. Woofer Guitar (Toy)
This neck strap got wrapped around my kids neck. Good thing I was there to get it off! Should be recalled.We cut the strap off.

1.0 out of 5 stars Strangulation Hazard- BEWARE!, October 16, 2013
T. Roy (ME United States) - See all my reviews
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: B. Woofer Guitar (Toy)
My kids enjoy this toy very much! HOWEVER, on more than one occasion I have found the strap wrap tightly around my toddler's neck with him unable to remove it himself or get the Velcro to release. Dangerous!

B. Woofer Guitar