5.0 out of 5 stars Better than OEM
Published on September 28, 2012 by John G. Frykman

3.0 out of 5 stars OK But
Published on September 24, 2012 by Early Rider

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than OEM, September 28, 2012
This review is from: 2 NP-BX1 NP-BX1/M8 Batteries & Charger for Sony CyberShot DSC-RX1, DSC-RX1R, DSC-RX100, DSC-RX100M II, DSC-RX100 III, DSC-H300, DSC-H400, DSC-HX300, DSC-HX50V, DSC-WX300, DSC-WX350, HDR-AS10, HDR-AS15, HDR-AS30V, HDR-AS100V, HDR-AS100VR, HDR-CX240, HDR-PJ275, HDR-MV1 Digital Camera (Personal Computers)
I am impressed with the product and the value. The "off-brand" Bower batteries are actually rated at 1800 mAh in comparison to the 1240 mAh rating of the Sony branded battery. That is nearly 50% higher capacity. Does the charge last longer? My experience is that the charge lasts significantly longer. The charger itself is certainly not "of lower quality" as another post here suggests. I'm not sure what charger it is being compared to as so far, no one has seen a Sony charger for this battery. It charges from "empty" to full charge in about 1-1/2 hours. It also comes with an adapter for your car's power outlets and a European-style receptacle adapter. I have not tried either, but will see how well the charger works in a car. Being able to charge a spare battery in a car is a huge plus for people on the move. This same charger can be purchased for as little as $4.75 elsewhere by itself, and the batteries at $8.80. That compares favorably with the price of the kit here. The Sony brand batteries are list priced at $49.95 although you can get them for as little as around $32 on line. But that is still nearly four times as much for a battery that has less capacity. Yes, they are Chinese manufactured just as the DSC-RX100 is, and just as the OEM battery is.

If is certainly possible that the OEM battery has a longer useful life, but the Bower battery has a 5-year guaranty. If the battery lasts 1/5 that long in daily use I will be happy--after all, they are a consumable. The camera itself has a 1-year guaranty and it is not "consumable."

In summary, no one should avoid these products because they do not carry the Sony brand. They are well built and represent a solid value. I will not be buying a Sony battery at four times the price when I can obtain a product that is certainly worth more than 1/4 the price of OEM batteries.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK But, September 24, 2012
The battery worked fine for a day of massive shooting and filming but I don't think it is as good as the original.The indicator on the camera showed little sign of wear after a day but when I was filming a bear it suddenly cut out saying the battery was exhausted. In other words it seems like it's all or nothing so if the indicator shows any wear don't trust that there's a lot of power left and get it to the charger. The fact that you get two battery's and a charger that can be used in the house or car still, in my opinion, makes it a good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed, September 13, 2012
I bought this kit the day after I received my RX100. Went on a 7-day cruise four days later. Charged the Sony battery and the two Bowers. Used the Bower charger on the Sony battery and it worked just fine. Day 1 of the trip loaded a Bower battery in the RX100 and never looked back. Took 700 pictures in a week and did a partial internal charge on the same Bower battery in the camera one time. Carried the Sony battery and the other Bower in my camera case and never used them. I did a lot of viewing and deleting as I went. I took nine short videos (average of 2 minutes) and the rest were the 700 shots at 20MP using the two-minute shutdown feature on the camera to conserve battery life. The battery indicator on the camera stayed full a long time before it showed usage. A minor issue since I had two others ready to go. The Bowers are rated at 1800 mAh. Sony at 1240 mAh. Some say the higher rating is exaggerated but I would be hard to convince at this point. Very good bargain since the Sony battery is a little less than twice the price for the kit. I sold digital cameras for almost eight years, owned 5 high-end Sonys from the F505 to the R1, which I still travel with. The RX100 is phenomenal and it is my first Sony camera in which I have used third-party batteries. I am a Sony purist no longer. Excellent bargain. Would certainly buy again. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars It does the job well, September 7, 2012
I resolved not to be caught again with a dead camera and no spare battery. So when I got the RX100 I looked for reasonably priced backup batteries and a convenient recharger. This recharger and batteries seem to satisfy those requirements. The charger is small enough to easily carry on trips and the inclusion of a European plug adapter (as well as the US plug) and AC adapter increase it's utility. And the batteries do what batteries are supposed to do. They charge and power the camera.

One word about the 4 star rating. To date I've been satisfied with the recharger and batteries, but I've only had then for a few days. If they continue to perform as they have so far I'd give it the extra star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised, September 21, 2012
Tony Korody (Santa Monica, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I ordered this package of goodies because I needed and external charger for the RX100. The deal sounded too good to be true with an external charger w/car adapter, 2 batteries that Sony sells for $39.95 each, screen protector and cleaning cloth. I decided to take the gamble knowing if I had a problem with the order Amazon would be sure I received a refund. Well, I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised when the Priority Mail envelope arrived with the order and not only did the charger work but the batteries seem to have a longer life than Sony's. Next time I see something from Big Mike's I won't hesitate to order.

5.0 out of 5 stars Batteries as good as the original, August 31, 2012
Thomas B. Cass (North Syracuse, New York United States) - See all my reviews
Not much to say except everything works great. The charger is great so now I can charge 2 batteries at the same time, one in camera, one in charger. The 2 included batteries are as good as the one that came with the camera, in fact I suspect they are the same battery without the Sony name. The screen protectors and cleaning cloth are just bonuses.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Capacity is a short of a genuine Sony battery., January 24, 2014
I have a brand new sony action cam with genuine NP-BX1 battery.

I compared these no-brand batteries I just got yesterday.

I set my camera to run on time-lapse mode, continuously taking pictures until it runs out of battery.

Results:

Sony Original NP-BX1 : 3 hours and 12 minutes
No Brand #1 : 2 hours and 56 minutes
No Brand #2 : 2 hours and 49 minutes.

All batteries are charged to full before testing with the charger that came with the package.

I wouldn`t say that is all too bad, but I have to say claimed 1600mAh capacity of these no-brand batteries are totally false advertisement. The sony original battery has capacity of 1240mAh. You do the math. :)

I give only three stars because the capacity is not 1600mAh. As always these no-brand batteries will deteriorate much sooner than the original ones.

PLUS:
FYI, mine came with a nice box package with grey batteries in it. The charger is slightly different. But they look nice and I`m not complaining about that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful product at a bargain price, September 13, 2012
pengu1n (St. Charles, MO United States) - See all my reviews
Love my Sony RX100 camera, but hated that I had to charge the battery in the camera. This product was the answer to my dilemma. This is a great price for a battery charger and it also comes with 2 spare batteries. They're not original Sony ones, but they seem to work just fine. It also includes a car charger and a few other extras. I'm very happy with the quality. I would definitely buy from this seller again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, October 21, 2012
Alan Heatherington (Libertyville, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
I would expect to pay something close to this price just for a back-up battery. To have a compact charger complete with European plug adapter and TWO extra batteries seems luxurious, not to mention the lens cleaning cloth. We travel extensively in Europe and take hundreds of photos on each trip. I know that we will be grateful for this purchase over and over.

4.0 out of 5 stars Repalcement battery for RX100, February 17, 2014
Salman Akhtar (Las Vegas, NV United States) - See all my reviews
The charger is a must have for RX100 owners as the camera does not come with one. The original option of charging the battery within the camera is not good and obviously no good for getting additional spare batteries charged while using the camera. The charger is compact and fits the battery perfectly. The two batteries that came with it work as good as the original Sony one so far.
Highly recommended.