Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Insten BATTERY CHARGER Compatible with SONY NP-F970 NP-F960 NP-770 NP-F550
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on October 29, 2013
It outputs only 600 mA which is very low in relation to the larger size batteries. You end up with significant charging times. The largest batteries have 7 Ah which means it needs 12 hours to charge an empty battery. The other thing to keep in mind is that these chargers rely on the internal protection circuit of the battery. They don't actively monitor voltage nor temperature. The only reason they can get away with it is by keeping the charging current so low. Faster charging rates require smarter electronics that monitor the battery properly. Nothing wrong with have a bunch of these as cheap alternatives, but just know that there are differences between good (fast) chargers and that there is a reason why they are more expensive.
The option to charge from a car cigarette plug is a nice feature until you realize you won't be leaving your car running for 8-10 hours just to charge a battery and even during a 2 hour drive you won't be able to get much charge into your battery with this.

One little tip to extend the life of your batteries. Lithium batteries age faster the higher they are charged. If you always charge a Lithium battery to 100% it will age faster. If you only charge it to say 80% it will age less and last many many years. Same is true for storage. Don't charge them when you know you won't be using them for a while. Keep them at 30-40% and charge them the day before you need them.
on September 18, 2014
Real piece of junk
Charged two batteries, and by the time they needed re-charging the charger won't quit charging correctly.
Batteries charged just fine in two hours the first time around.
When I went to recharge the batteries a little over a month later, after over 4hrs of charging the light on the charger never went from red to green indicating battery was charged. The charger got quite warm. I put the battery into the flood light and it indicated the battery had a full charge.
Good thing these things are cheap. I'll try a different brand.
on November 9, 2011
I needed a new charger to replace the original one that came with the camera and searched high and low and came across this on Amazon and boy what a buy. Excellent price almost 80% cheaper than many others that I came across and works perfectly.
on August 23, 2014
buy this only if you have too many batteries and you need to ruin them.. I use the neewer 160 lights for video, I've had a bunch over the past few years and subsequently lots of batteries and chargers.. got this one and put it to work right away getting ready for an event.. put the battery in the light and the light wouldn't turn on, checked a second battery from this charger also wouldn't power the light.. noticed that the batteries had little 'bubbles' like they had burned up from the inside.. first time this has happened to me
on March 27, 2016
Why does the description of this say that it's for Sony NP-F550 batteries when it's NOT?! The battery does NOT fit into this charger! Why waste the time and money of your customers like that?
on April 18, 2014
I have a Graphtec data logger that takes a Sony NP-F550-type battery. I bought two cheap Sony NP-F550 replacement batteries...mostly just to verify the size and voltage compatibility and needed a charger for them, as Graphtec recommends that you charge the batteries individually...outside of the logger.

To fulfill my need, I bought this cheap "Battery Charger for SONY Li-Ion NP-FM500H NP-F550 NP-F570" from Amazon. It works like a champ and holds and charges the batteries just fine. I knocked off a star because it doesn't support the third terminal used by the Sony chargers with the batteries.
33 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 12, 2015
i have used this charger in AC mode a number of times. It works well and I like the light that tells me when it is done. I also like the car charger option, which is one of reasons I bought it, although proper prior planning with respect to the three batteries I have had kept me from using the car charger functionality.
on June 16, 2015
I have kept this, but it is the SLOWEST charger I have ever used. It takes me 8-10 hours to charge one NP-F550 battery. It comes with a car charger, which seem pointless. It would probably take 16-20 hours to charge one battery that way.
on April 29, 2014
I bought a bunch of these to make a charging bank for those pesky small batteries for my SONY cameras and video cams. I used a decent sized protected strip, metal and all three prongs though the chargers only have two prongs. The bank has eight ports for all of my batteries. I have these smaller chargers, firmly in place. I used a thin two side rubberized tape in a small square behind the plug where the ground plug would be, to keep them in place. I will have pics on my website [...] under Gizmos.
on November 8, 2015
This charger works perfect. I have used it to charge my LCD screens batteries many times at this point and it still charges fast and like a champ. It doesn't get hot and also doesn't seem to take long to charge the batteries. Perfect for any Field monitor.