5.0 out of 5 stars Anker/LaptopMate a reputable brand
1 May 2012 update: Battery and laptop doing well.

-----
21 March 2012 update: Both battery and laptop doing well.

Published on March 15, 2012 by anonymous

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, with great customer service...
Published on May 22, 2012 by RMN

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, with great customer service..., May 22, 2012
This review is from: Anker® New Laptop Battery for Apple A1175 A1211 A1226 A1260 A1150 MacBook Pro 15", Aluminum Body as Original (Not Plastic) - 18 Months Warranty [Li-Polymer 6-cell 5600mAh] (Electronics)
When I received the battery, the first thing I did was compare the size with the original apple battery that I still had. The new battery was not exactly the same size and stuck up from the battery compartment a little bit. So far it hasn't caused a problem, but don't know if it will down the road. It only holds a charge for maybe 2 to 3 hours of sustained use, which is better than my original battery, but still less than I expected. It is cheaper than the apple battery, so this is one of those situations where it would be accurate to say that you get what you pay for.

Update as of 5/29/12
The batteries performance as improved some after being cycled a handful of times as instructed by a customer service rep. They also reminded me of a one year warranty ensuring that it will be replaced if is flawed. So far the fit of the battery has not been an issue. It is nice to know that the customer service is great, so even if it is a problem in the future, it will be taken care of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anker/LaptopMate a reputable brand, March 15, 2012
anonymous (Northern California, USA) - See all my reviews
1 May 2012 update: Battery and laptop doing well.

-----
21 March 2012 update: Both battery and laptop doing well.

-----
When my MacBook Pro battery died, I hopped on Amazon to find another one. Zillions of companies want to make a fast buck. Prices ranged from $20-odd to $130-odd, and those are only the ones I saw. The Wild West. Generic-this. Overstock-that. Reviews indicating high-priced batteries performing no better than cheap ones. Argh! What's a person to do? Apple's price of over $100 isn't a fair price; besides, Apple's battery got low ratings too.

So, I kept looking and finding battery after battery until my eyes glazed over, some thirty such batteries. Then I bumped into Anker/LaptopMate, and said, ooh, ohh, I know them. I've had good experiences with Anker/LaptopMate before. I consider them reputable. This battery $45--reasonable. I bought it and I'm typing on my MacBook Pro now.

So far, so good. A+ (the first day of use). I recommend Anker/LaptopMate brand. If something changes and this Anker battery somehow deserves a lower rating, I'll update this blurb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Replacement Macbook Battery, May 15, 2012
After 5 years, my Macbook battery finally bit the dust. I originally bought a $27 China replacement from a USA seller on *another* marketplace. Needless to say, it was a horrible experience (it got stuck. I had to pry it out of my laptop with a butter knife. It also wouldn't hold a charge and stuck out the bottom of my macbook so that you couldn't slide it would scratching a surface).

So I ponied up for this $45 battery from Anker and the experience has been great. The battery goes in and out just like the original. The metal finish matches the bottom of the macbook, it installs and is removed easily, and the charge is pretty much the same when my original battery was normal. The Anker battery does *almost* fit flush on the bottom. It is flush enough that I don't really notice and there is no problem when sliding it across surfaces.

Bottom line, it is the perfect replacement for the original battery because it feels like the original and performs like the original. You're not going to find a cheaper replacement that works like the original.

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't know what I was missing until I got this battery., December 26, 2012
I've had my MacBook Pro for many years, now, so it came as no surprise when it started to show it's age. But rather than pay full price for a new computer, I decided to refresh this one by upgrading what components I could (OS, HDD, RAM, and Battery). The first battery I ordered was a BIG mistake. It's worked OK for a few months after I got it, and I thought I had clever avoided the "Apple Tax" by going with a third party, but I soon started to regret my purchase. I almost always had to keep my laptop plugged in, it took forever to come out of sleep mode, and many times, at random, the machine would completely reset. I became so frustrated with it, I was ready to fork over the full amount for an Apple brand battery just so to avoid any more problems. Luckily, for my wallet, I discovered this battery by Anker.

It's almost miraculous how well my computer works now. I had forgotten what it was like to have my computer instantly spring to life from sleep mode. I don't worry about carrying a power supply with me every where I go. Most importantly, I'm not worried about this battery failing on me. Anker has gone out of their way to ensure that I have the absolute best experience with their battery; the box it came in it COVERED in guarantees, and inside the box are even more cards and documents letting you know what their warranty is and who to call if things don't live up to it. They even sent me an email making sure I was happy with my purchase and said they'd be checking in from time to time.

With customer service like this, I don't even care if the battery itself performs as well as an Apple, because I know if it starts to show signs of poor functionality, I can count on Anker's customer service to help.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent customer service- replacement battery works fine now, June 23, 2012
I got the first replacement battery, popped it in, and only received the X through the battery symbol. A couple of emails back and forth to customer services later (and having tried all of their little mac tricks) and they offered to send me a second replacement battery. The first one eventually worked to keep the macbook pro on, but never registered as being in the computer.

The second replacement battery got popped in and worked perfectly immediately. I charged it up and let it run down a couple of times and the first charge showed 5 hours, second about 4.5 hours, and now when full it runs about 4.5-3 hours depending on what I'm doing on my mac at that time. I sent the first battery back via laptopmate's pre-paid shipping label.

The best customer service I have ever encountered and the second battery worked perfectly with just popping it in.

EDIT: it has been 6-9 months since my purchase and the replacement battery is now regularly shorting out. It will claim to have a varying amount of life left but after 30 minutes unplugged will abruptly shut off.

5.0 out of 5 stars First unit had to be returned, second worked perfectly., November 10, 2012
I am on the 4th battery for my MacBook Pro. So far I had replaced with one Apple OEM battery for about $130. Of course it worked perfectly. For the third battery I decided to try a unit from Newer Tech. This was about $99 and also worked perfectly. Now as I went to get my 4th battery I wanted to see what else was available. There are many cheap replacements for around $20 available on Amazon, and most of them at this price have stories in the reviews about how they don't work correctly. So I opted for the Anker unit, it cost much more than the cheap Chinese batteries, but about half of an OEM.

The first one arrived promptly, and well packed. But it did not operate correctly. The symptoms were that the battery was not recognized by the MacBook. When the batter was inserted the MacBook would report that there was no battery installed. And as such it would not recharge the battery either. Resetting the power manager made no difference, and only by removing and reinstalling the battery while the MacBook was on the power cord would it sometimes be recognized, but only for a brief amount of time.

I let the vendor know of the problem and they issued an RMA with a paid return mailing label and shipped a replacement. I limped along with the defective battery for about a week, and the replacement worked perfectly. Charged quickly and gives good working period. It interacts properly with the MacBook and reports its charge and status.

So caution is due, but since the vendor acted so promptly and responsibly with my issue I am giving the battery 5 stars. Its a fraction the cost of OEM and the performance is comparable. If the performance breaks down quickly I will revisit the review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but occasionally have to pop out battery to get it to register that its charging., January 28, 2013
Its a good price for the battery. I have had a couple instances where the computer will say battery not charging when the cord when the charging plug is attached. I just pop the battery out and put it back in and it starts registering that it is charging.
Other than that its good.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good. Definitely do the calibration., October 30, 2013
Out of the box this battery lasted about an hour an a half while I was working on the computer continuously with my usb cooling fan plugged in, wifi on and the screen at full brightness. I did the calibration routine and, while running it down, it stayed on 0% for about an hour without going to sleep. Now it lasts for about 2 1/2 hours. Definitely do the calibration routine.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good..., August 14, 2013
I ordered this battery as a replacement for the one in a Macbook Pro A1260 (4,1, early 2008), which had degenerated to the point where it was holding only around 30 minutes of charge. I outright rejected most of the third-party batteries, which uniformly had poor or very few reviews (I've also had bad experiences with them for various other laptops). Reviews of the Apple OEM battery was surprisingly mixed, so I kept looking. Eventually, I hit this entry, and seeing the mostly good reviews, decided to try it.

It arrived in a very well-packaged box, already a point for it -- most battery vendors seem to just stick one in an anti-static bag and send it out. Color is not quite an exact match to my case (it's a shade or two lighter), but as this is on the bottom, that doesn't matter too much.

I removed the original battery and popped this one in -- it's kind of a tight fit, and I really had to push to get the clasps to lock, but it does fit and is flush against the case when the clasps are engaged. Removing it again is fairly difficult, as the ejection mechanism doesn't pop it out properly and I have to carefully pry it out while holding the clasps open. I can at least be sure that this isn't coming out accidentally.

The point of a battery, of course, is that it powers your device reliably. On this, I have zero complaints so far. It's detected properly by the Macbook, returns an accurate reading of charge state, and I've gotten a pretty consistent 3 hours and 40-50 minutes out of a full charge so far (primarily scripting, word processing, and a semi-regular Internet connection with multiple SSH Terminal windows going and SFTP in the background). A few weeks in, and it's still behaving quite well. In contrast, I've had other third-party laptop batteries refuse to return charge information, return inaccurate charge information, not get properly detected by the laptop, or other communication faults, which I've seen absolutely none of here. My final verdict on this will come in a few months -- most third-party batteries that I've tried for other devices have had a tendency to die 3-6 months in. For now, I'm tentatively feeling positive about this one, and can say that at least it's better than pretty much all of the other third-party batteries out there.

In short, the fit and finish are imperfect but within acceptable ranges. In terms of performance, it's working flawlessly so far, but I haven't used it long enough to have a definitive answer on reliability. I'll update the review in a few months if anything significant changes.

Update (11/30/13): About four months in, and performance remains steady. I continue to get about 3.5-4 hours of battery life, and Mavericks hasn't seemed to have much of an effect in either direction. This is looking fairly good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anker Battery exceeds expectation, July 16, 2012
I purchased the Anker Laptop Battery A1175 Anker® New Laptop Battery for Apple A1175 A1211 A1226 A1260 A1150 [Li-ion 9-cell 5200mAh] - White for my 15 inch Mac Book Pro. The battery works great, fits perfectly and lasts longer than the original MAC battery. This is an excellent product.