4.0 out of 5 stars Extends battery life; needs better documentation
Published on March 1, 2008 by Rion

3.0 out of 5 stars Charges fine but I haven't gotten any battery improvement
I have many batteries that need maintaining for cars trucks boats, motorcycles and equipment.

Published on December 12, 2012 by E. Redifer

4.0 out of 5 stars Extends battery life; needs better documentation, March 1, 2008
Rion (Alameda, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I have several lead-acid batteries that I need to keep charged up; I heard about desulphating chargers, then found this one. I first used it on a 5-year-old car battery whose voltage indicated that it was at about 40% capacity. After following the directions (about 6 days of desulphating), the voltage jumped up to a point that indicated that the battery was now at 90%.

I have a friend who had been trickle charging his older car battery and felt that he had gotten it as fully charged as he could, but then I loaned him this charger and a week later got a phone message from him indicating surprise at how much his battery had improved. He was convinced! It's very possible to double a battery's life with this charger, and so it can pay for itself quickly.

The problems with this charger are the complexity and the poor documentation. I think you can see the all the lights and buttons on the front of it - somewhat bewildering to most. So you have to spend a lot of time reading the manual at first, and, I think, it could take a lot less time if they could find a competent technical writer. They KNOW their manual has problems because they added a supplement that says to ignore all the instructions in the manual and just read that one page supplement! The trouble is, even that supplement is a bit hard to understand. One example is how batteries are to treated as large, medium, or small, but they really don't tell you how to classify them. I had assumed a battery for a compact car would be considered medium, but a phone call to their support guy informed me that it was actually large. The manual just assumes that we can read their minds on things like this, but we can't, so we get confused and use the charger improperly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Biggest and Best of the BatteryMinders, November 16, 2009
This review is from: BatteryMINDer 12 Volt 2/4/8 Amp Wet/Gel/AGM Battery Charger
I've been using the small BatteryMinders (the 1.3 Amp maintainers) for the past few years and decided that for some of my larger batteries, especially the deep cycle setup used in conjunction with a set of solar panels, that I needed something that was capable of pushing much more than 1.3 Amps. Enter this product with its 2 / 4 / 8 Amp settings and the ability to automatically reduce the Amp "push" and start cycling the battery (or in my case batteries, as I have 4 large deep cycle batteries connected in parallel) with a maintenance charge.

So far I've been very happy with this product as I have been with the 1.3 Amp BatteryMinder in the past. The construction is solid, a direct-wire connector is included, the ability to connect directly with included clips is great, and there isn't that "it's going to break next week" cheap feel that some of the other competing products have (I bought a used bike and a competing product came with it - now it is hooked up to a BatterMinder and the other charger is sitting in a box).

If you have need to keep a large battery or bank of batteries well maintained and on a steady charge, be they for your trolling motor or a battery backup for your sump pump (because the power always seems to fail during a rain storm just when you need that pump most), I strongly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am impressed. I think this is the best value charger., December 21, 2009
I did a bit of research before purchasing this product. If you want a quick charge, I have read that your battery won't last as long. For battery life, the ideal charge is low amerage. I appreciate that this charger provides a low amp charge to the battery. I had an older battery charger that I believe prematurely destroyed one of my 12v batteries, so I did my best to find the best value replacement. As a matter of fact, the way I saw the older charger behaving (according to my digital multimeter), I was concerned that it could cause the battery to explode or start a fire. I decided to get a new one. I looked at all of the battery chargers I could find on Amazon and other sites. Eventually, I settled on this particular model for these reasons:

1. Provides a low amperage charge, which is supposed to help prolong battery life.
2. Desulphination mode, which is supposed to help prolong battery life.
3. Safety shutoff features, so that it doesn't overcharge the battery.
4. Reads the battery polarity and illuminates a red light if you have it reversed.
5. Excellent review on Amazon and other sites that sell battery chargers.

I've only been using the battery minder for a couple of months, but I think it is working well. The recharges and maintenance modes seem appropriate. The batteries seem to last a long time after I charge them. This product seems to be living up to the claims and ratings. I am impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars great buy, February 5, 2009
I installed this for my 4 very large house batteries on my RV. Since it cost about $1800 dollars to replace those batteries I am interested in getting as long a life as possible. It has been in place for about 2 weeks and so far it is doing what I expected. The batteries hold a charge longer than before. This type of battery in Arizona normally lasts about 4 years, and this set is 18 months old and beginning to show its age. But with this device installed they are back to about 95% of what they were when they were new. My only complaint is about the temperature sensor that can be used with the unit, it does not come with the device, but is an extra cost option. I think it should be included since it provides a feature of the device.

5.0 out of 5 stars It does Work!!!, December 24, 2011
Steve (Cincinnati) - See all my reviews
I liked this so much I bought a second one. It brought a lawn tractor battery back to life from the dead, and it worked all Summer long, so it's half paid for already on that battery. I also used it on 3 AGM trolling motor batteries - It has brought them back to usefulness from being in a weak state, not to new condition but 2 are over 12.7 volts after sitting 24 hours, one I am still letting desulfanate, it's back to 11.8 volts after being at 6 volts. These batteries are 8 years old and now cost over $300 each so it's more than paid for itself restoring 2, and it brings the other one back after a sitting all Winter on it I will be very very impressed. From what I can tell so far, it seems to work best defulfantating wet cell batteries but it helps AGMs as well. The new charger I just received is going on a yellow top optima for the Winter to see if it will bring it back. Starting off it was at 10 volts after fully charging and letting sit for 24 hours so it's definitely toast before letting this charger try to do it's magic on it.

Yes, I have a lot of batteries, there are 5 sitting on my work bench now on top of the one in the lawn tractor and 4 installed in vehicles. Keeping all these up to snuff is worth the effort vs replacing them. I would highly recommend this charger.

Just as a point of information, for those charging Optima batteries, Optima recommends using the wet setting, not AGM or Gel for their batteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product so far!, August 4, 2011
I ordered and received this a little over one month ago. As always, great shipping and delivery service through Amazon, thanks for that!

My intended purpose for this was to be able to slow charge/maintain the spare set of deep cycle trolling motor batteries I now have for my bass boat. I use an onboard charging system to maintain the ones in the boat, but only had a standard style 15amp charger for other batteries. I shopped for this and even checked the BatteryMinder website for instructions to make sure I could use this to maintain two batteries at the same time. Their directions were easy and simple to connect batteries properly to do this.

So far, the charger is working perfectly as intended. I check the battery charge state with a multi-meter and batteries are charged and maintained with this charger attached. The 2A setting is great as it does not cook off the batteries after weeks of being connected as my 15a/2a combination charger had a tendency to do. The one thing I'm not sure about but will be testing is the electrical usage for this. I will be hooking this up to AC via a Kill-A-Watt current meter to try and determine electrical cost of operation to maintain batteries to see if my diligence is cost effective as opposed to periodic battery replacements. I want to be fair with my assessment, so will take at least 4-5 months to report back on that.

The other reason for trying this is the advertised desulfation. From what I've read, this can take many weeks to be fully effective. I have this battery maintainer/reconditioner currently hooked up to a pair of 6 year old 27D size deep cycle trolling motor batteries. I have been doing this for three weeks now and I've checked them once each week both visually inspecting the appearance of the plates in each cell, with a multi-meter for state of charge, and with a load tester for condition. I have to admit, each time I have checked them, visually the plates appear cleaner with less sulfation (the yellowish film on the plates), they load test better (maintain voltage during loaded discharge better), and they recover/recharge to full state faster after proper load testing. From what I am experiencing with this pair of deep cells, this is working as claimed for me. When I started this test, the two 6 year old deep cells were load testing as just barely OK but marginal. Now after three weeks, they test acceptable, but still not quite as solid as the two brand new deep cells I purchased a month ago.

With my multi-meter, when I started, these two deep-cells would test at 12.64 volts after settling 24 hours following a 12 hour top-off/maintenance charge. After a week, that went to 12.66 volts, and now after 3 weeks, they are up to 12.69 volts. This compares to the 12.89 volts for my two brand new deep cells (these are not Optimas like my brother uses which test at 13.16 volts but cost 1.75 times more than the batteries I'm using). So each week, they are improving the capacity to hold a better charge.

Still, I'm going to give them a few more weeks as they have improved each week with this attached, maintaining, and it appears de-sulfating.

Product Update 7/14/2013:

I'm back after 2+ years of owning and using this charger, to support my 5 star review. This charger has worked excellent for me. It did revive one battery that was weak from sitting a whole Wisconsin winter at only about half charge (My bad!). I put this charger on it for about four weeks and now the battery charges fine, holds charge well, and load tests well. In addition, I rotate this charger on my bass boat batteries, ATV battery, log splitter battery, lawn tractor battery, car and truck batteries, and several other miscellaneous lead acid 12v batteries I keep for misc uses. I also 'lend' this to my brother for him to recondition his batteries. He is also very satisfied with the conditioning results he experiences with his batteries. It's currently attached to my ATV battery performing a maintenance charge. I have found it tops off batteries excellent and maintains charge excellent for extended periods of time without over-cooking the batteries or boiling off the water. I meter test and load test my batteries for measured charge, so the results I'm seeing are objective based upon actual measurable performance, not just subjective observances.

3.0 out of 5 stars Charges fine but I haven't gotten any battery improvement, December 12, 2012

For years I've been using Battery Tenders. I have probably 10 -15 of them for various 6 volt and 12 volt batteries, however I was a bit frustrated that they hadn't updated the product for probably 20 years, and they didn't seem to work well with the AGM batteries I've been using more and more.

A friend told me about the Battery Minders and that they were supposed to desulphate as well as maintain charge in the batteries. That sounded like a great thing.

I bought one of these larger ones and one of the smaller ones a year or two ago.

Both of them charge batteries fine and seem to maintain the charge on them fine.

However I've been disappointed with the claim that these will desulphate the batteries and make them work better. I've placed this larger Battery Minder and the smaller one on batteries that were maybe verging on weakness and have not been able to recover any performance from the batteries.

One was a small AGM battery out of a motorcycle. I had the battery minder on the battery for probably 3 months. Every few weeks I would run a test on the battery with my battery load tester - I found no change to the battery capacity over that time.

A second was a larger wet cell battery out of a Sea Doo. Same story - I left the battery minder on the battery for probably 4-5 months - no change in battery power - in fact, that one actually got worse.

I had this larger one continuously on a large 12 volt forklift battery for probably 5 months - the battery remained weak.

This particular charger will charge at 2,4 and 8 amps and has a setting for wet cell as well as AGM batteries - It's a little frustrating setting it up in that it resets itself to 2 amp charge and AGM setting every time you disconnect it from a battery.

So - does it work? Well yes, it seems to be built well and it charges and maintains batteries fine, but I'm not going to expect it to "recover" any batteries. I'm sure this will offend the manufacturer, but in real-world use, I don't see any advantage of this Battery Minder over my Battery Tenders that cost half as much and have kept my batteries charged for many years.

I'm not going to throw it away, but I had hoped for additional value

5.0 out of 5 stars BatteryMINDer Battery Charger / Maintainer with Desulphator - 12 Volt 2/4/8 Amp, Model# 12248, November 26, 2011
I really like this charger. It's a bit expensive, but seems worth the price already. I was looking for charger to handle both gel battery (motorcycle) & flooded lead acid (and maybe AGM later), so this fit the bill.

I was a bit skeptical about the desulfating feature, but I think I've been convinced. I have a 3.5 year old flooded battery in a truck (we live in a hot climate that kills batteries quickly!) that was borderline failing. It was losing cranking power and wouldn't hold a charge for long. A few days on this charger seems to have revived it and the resting voltage of the battery is considerably higher than before (indicating better capacity).

I also use this with a Battery Tender 081-0148-25 25' Quick Disconnect Extension Cable and the connectors don't seem to seat completely (~1/16 inch or so of one side doesn't quite close, but certainly is secure). I believe this is mostly due to extension cord connectors, not this charger's connector. The combination works perfectly except for the minor issue with closure of the connector. I have the same issue with the BMW Motorcycle Charger Plug for the motorcycle when using the extension cable.

5.0 out of 5 stars WORKS AS ADVERTISED, October 31, 2008
REVIVES MOST SULPHATED BATTERYS GOOD FOR MOTORHOMES,DIESEL TRUCKS(MY ONE YEAR OLD f350 BATTERIES]HOWEVER WILL NOT EQUALLY DESULPHATE DIFFERENT TYPES- STARTING AND DEEP CYCLE BATTERIES AT THE SAME TIME- AS IN A MOTORHOME USE ON EACH TYPE SEPARATELY OR BUY TWO-WILL NOT BOIL OFF WATER IN CELLS AS SOME CHARGERS WILL- I USE IT ON MY MOTORHOME,TRUCK EVEN REVIVED MY LAWNMOWER BATTERY AS IT IS ADJUSTABLE FOR BATTERY SIZE AND TYPE- PLEASE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS FIRST AND YOU WILL BE SATISFIED.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, April 23, 2010
This product revived by dead motorcycle battery after abusing it for 3 years. The battery was near death in 2007 after I didnt maintain it for 3 winters straight... bad idea... new batt $120, this product $99... decided to give it a try and it was worth every penny in the investment. This unit revived the battery after about 1 month of desulphation and conditioning and it is still in operation now on my 2004 CBR1000RR. If you need to maintain an autootive battery, this is the right product, hands down, no question.

I use this product regularly, it stays connected to the motorcycle in garage and goes on the BMW M3 when I go out of town for week+ trips.

Couldnt be happier with my investment.

PS: After 6 months of use, i bought their onboard desulphattor and installed on the M, so far so good... car is still running on original battery... car build date is 7/2003... so 6.5 years and counting...