Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now PlasmaCar

on March 4, 2011
The Home Energy Monitor was beyond what I expected. It is simple to setup and simple to read. I enjoy watching the numbers crunch in real time and being able to see how my kw use vari's with different appliances running.. I big surprise for me was our vanity lights in the bathroom. The ones the girls leave on constantly after make-up and hair adjustments. They pulled more energy than my oven.. Great unit -- Only issue I had was that the unit had some scuff marks on the face but would not have been practical to pay return shipping to replace unit..
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2012
Will be brief. I live in Santo Domingo, Domingo, Dominican Rep. where we have energy issues, utilities have been unreliable for over 50 years and energy costs exceeds, by far, U.S. an United Kingdom prices of a Kwh (short for kilowatt hour). A Kwh in the end run is basically how much energy (watts) you use per time (hour), using a simple math formula (watts --or Kilowatts-- x time = Kwh). Less Kwh means less money on your budget, so Kwh reduction is your target for energy savings.

The EnviR is apparently a household common device used for some time in the United Kingdom and recently elsewhere and I bought it some weeks ago. The manual is very deficient and a better online version or a downloadable .pdf version is a must, if the manufacturer just wants to save on paper costs as the monitor intends to save us on energy use.

Don't take me for granted 100% as we all have different requirements and hardware at our homes, but this is the homework I did on the version intended for the USA 120-240 volts AC protocol: buy the EnviR (Home Energy Monitor) at Amazon, of course. Set it up at or near your electric panel using the two included sensors (they are just amperimeters) that measure amps (amps x voltage = watts) and relay, wirelessly, the data to a display which surprisingly reaches quite far, considering all my concrete it needs to travel at home.

Connect the two sensors to the transmitter which is not small buy not large by any means. Follow the manual and set up the display and you start receiving the data. Took me 15 minutes or less. But remember, as in computers, nothing is Plug and Play but Plug and Pray.

The display shows all needed info except how much money you are really spending per day, week or month, just how much money your spending per each appliance turned on or off (not my taste of choice). But Kwh daily, weekly, monthly consumption is provided and the rest is a simple math exercise.

Best part is that the EnviR will never match 100% your electric meter (oops ???). To do that, just increase or decrease the voltage parameter settings as allowed by the transmitter and voila!, your Kwh's will increase or decrease until you are close. Yesterday the utility company meter measured my home at 25.9 Kwh of energy use and the EnviR measured 25.8 (how good is that?).

Of course it comes pre-set at 115 volts and I set mine at 130 volts so that the internal calculations reached almost my real consumption. My model allows for seven voltage settings starting at 100 volts and up to 130. Relax, voltage setting are just for math calculations of the sensors and do not alter either your home voltage or that of the device.

Since the display device does not provide all the data you wish for, purchase the special cable for PC use. If Amazon does not carry it, does. Then download a trial version of Techtoniq Energy Station software at the Current Cost website and in minutes you have all the data and graphs, in real time you wish for.

If instead, you want to upload the data to the Internet, every 5 minutes, no need for the PC cable or the software I just recommended, buy the "Web Bridge" hardware device at Amazon, connect to the display and also to your Internet Router with the cables, as provided by the Web Bridge device. Then connect yourself to the Current Cost website, input the device's enclosed serial number and that is it; see your energy data consumption from everywhere, included your smartphone cell phone and see it all pay for itself as you start being energy conscious.

And yes, set up your account, input your average per Kwh cost (from your last bill) and the data will also include and estimate of your total energy cost, per hour and day.

No need for Google Power Meter web services (no longer operational), as Current Cost have their own website, providing use of their free service for all the energy monitoring.

Third parties also offer their software for PC or Web based services but for a modest fee.

In conclusion: a good product, lousy manual, great price and will always pay for itself!

Last but not least, see for yourself the fruits of the labor: my home energy use, in real time...

Go to [...]
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 24, 2011
I have a large house and each floor has separate heating/cooling. Through this device I noticed that my energy usage at night was higher than the day. What I found was that during the summer my top floor would cool, which would drop to the lower floors and have them kick on the heat to compensate. Since I was asleep I never knew this. I changed my lower floor thermostats to only kick the heat on when the temperature drops really low and now I am saving money on energy. That has more than paid for this.
on December 7, 2011
This is a very helpful device to learn what and when you are consuming electric power. You can see the immediate impact of turning on or off any appliance. And the reality of when you think things are off, they continue to consume power. The display shows Kw being used now, as well as Kwh yesterday, in the last 7 days, and in the last month. You can set your $/Kwh and the display will give a daily and monthly value of what is currently being consumed. It does not calculate your electric bill.

The most difficult part of the installation is placing the sensors around the incoming power lines in the main breaker box. This is in the area before the breakers, and cannot be powered off. So you have to be careful where you place your fingers.

There is an option for recording up to nine individual appliance sensors. They are offered in package qty of 1 or 3. I'm not yet sure if this option will be needed.

I would recommend this monitor to friends, and expect it will help to change habits that leave lights and appliances on when they are not being used.
on September 13, 2012
First, there are many ways this product should be improved: 1) Provide data cable, instead of requiring purchaser to order separately. 2) Provide a rechargeable battery to power the display, so it easier to move around detached from the AC/DC power adapter for more useability and convenience. 3) Improve accuracy by incorporating a sensor to measure actual line voltage. 4) Backlight the LCD display so it can be seen in the dark. 5) Make the display auto blank out after a few minutes and resume by pushing any button.

None of these improvement would be too costly to implement, but even if it sold for say $199, it would be well worth it. Even as-is, as a minimalist design concept, it is still quite clever in its simplicity, very easy to install, and lower in cost other competing Home Energy Monitoring products (notably "TED"). More importantly, it is genuinely educational, so don't be surprised if it results in modifying human behavior to be more energy saving oriented. All things considered, I do highly recommend it!

Apparently, this device originated in the UK back in 2004. I'm glad it was adapted more recently in the U.S. and available via AMAZON. Everybody should have something like this to better understand how much electricity is used throughout a household as relates to their monthly utility bill. It actually helps the average consumer become much more aware of electrical consumption in a household, and start doing things to save energy!

I got the EnviR Home Energy Monitor kit and a couple "IAMs" (Individual Appliance Monitors# to go with it. The latter are unnecessary, but provides an even better idea of how much electricity any particular appliance uses. IAMs individually plug-in to 120Vac wall outlets as remote monitoring devices. They communicate with the EnriR Display Monitor which can be centrally located. IAMs are also sold by Amazon, at $40 each. Up to 9 can be used together to effectively monitor an entire home with only one EnviR Home Energy Monitor.

Turn on a lamp or light switch and watch the LCD display increase wattage being consumed. The feedback is nearly instanteous, but actually takes about 10 seconds to update the display readout. Anything that draws 120Vac power can be monitored. Indirectly, it can also monitor larger power appliances like an electric range, clothes drier, and even electric vehicle charging equipment, which typically draw high curents, typically at 240Vac. These types of home applicance use less ubiqutous electrical outlets, unsuitable to use with any IAM remote monitoring modules.

EnviR is adequate to observe your overall power consumption, as well as up to 9 individual wall outlets using IAMs. Actually, to save money, one IAM can be used at a time and freely moved from one wall outlet to another using the same preset channel on the EnviR display.

A home energy monitoring system like this absolutely SHINES when hooked up to a Windows based desktop/laptop PC via an "optional" RJ45 to USB data cable. There are a couple free 3rd party software developers supporting the EnviR with compatible applications, all with full color energy comsumption charts and graphs. These transform the EnviR into a much more substantial home energy monitoring system. Just go to the website to download the USB driver for the data cable and a 3rd party app of your choice, but don't forget to order the data cable. In the North America, go to the master distributor's website, to order. It costs $12 + shipping.

Bottom line . . . EnviR is a relatively low cost, yet quite effective as a home energy monitoring product. I believe the EnviR will appeal most to technically minded, "do-it-yourselfer". Just be sure to carefully read the installation instruction in the User Guide. FOLLOW ALL SAFETY PRECAUTIONS!!! Obviously, electricity and any AC voltage is DANGEROUS if you do not know what you are doing, especially installing the EnviR Sensors #AC current clamps) and transmitter module inside a circuit breaker or utility meter power panel box!
on April 20, 2012
Works precisely as described, you simply install two current clamps in your power entry panel, along with the transmitter - you then set the measured voltage level to 120v(mine had been factory set to 115v), plug in the energy display monitor and your good to go. The power usage has been extremely accurate, within 5 percent of the billed amount. Real time energy display is updated every 10 seconds, and with the usb cable provided can be downloaded to your computer and displayed and saved using one of the referenced software packages(I used current chart). In addition to the monitor you can also separately purchase an ethernet bridge that will upload your data to the current cost internet site at 5 minute intervals, allowing you to monitor your electricity use real time via any device(itouch, smartphone, ipad, computer, etc) with internet access.
The bottom line; this monitor was very easy to set up and use, and I'd estimate that just through the improved attentiveness to our homes energy use, turning off a few energy vampires(the cable box - was a big one at 50W, 24 hours a day) and a few repairs we've been able to reduce our power use by approximately 20%. Highly recommended.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2012
Works exactly like it says. Historical use data would be helpful. It would be easy to have software to record data, and supposedly you can do this with extra purchases. I have not found them. Multistage appliances can be hard to understand as an air conditioner can draw variable wattage in its cycle. It is limited, but it sure will make your eyes pop when you see yourself drawing 18 amps at the house.. and you WILL go find out what is doing it..also, hidden power drains become obvious. My bathroom lights, if on in both bathrooms, were drawing 1.5 kw... Not anymore! That is insane! Four light light fixtures with regular bulbs, 1/4 kW.. I don't think so! Worth the money! Set up is VERY easy, but if you don't understand what is behind your electrical panel..DON'T DO THIS YOURSELF YOU COULD DIE! IF you do have understanding, takes 5 minutes to install. It is very accurate, as well.
on September 5, 2013
The programming is not too user friendly & sometimes it gets scrambled when the power goes out. Powering on & off usually fixes it. Other than that, no major issues
on March 23, 2012
Got this about 22 day,s ago love to see where is was wasting money.simple too hook up,program .nice for me!
on May 8, 2012
I bought this after installing solar panels on my house to help me monitor my electric consumption. Unfortunately, the installation instructions for this equipment are very poor. In order to work with solar, I had to install the CT clamps around all of the wires exiting my breaker box and entering my house. This is unfortunately impossible since I have 16 wires exiting my breaker box and the CT clamps could not fit around all of them.

Additionally, most of the accessories and all of the web based software programs are only available in Europe. This simply doesn't work well for solar powered homes or anyone outside of Europe looking for connectivity options.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse