Most helpful positive review
30 of 39 people found the following review helpful
Great animation Blu, and a good film too....
on September 20, 2009
This Blu has been screening nicely in the store as sadly no one got to see this with that joke of a theatrical release slate.
Plenty to dissect here regarding both the subtle and overlaying future of humanity themes, but in the end the positive outcomes shine through as does the awesome animation, both preserved beautifully on the Blu. This recent trend of 5.1 Uncompressed PCM on Blu is a nice change, and it bodes well for an action filled finale like this. The clarity, colors and style of animation look great here, and I bookmarked the last 17 minute battle scene for customers and that alone has sold itself. The supplements are a bit mismanaged and include:
* 4:45 minute making-of. Way too short for what this film took to make, and most of the other extras should have been spliced into this selection.
* 4 deleted scenes totaling 7 minutes. For what this film was they all should have been left in their respective sequences.
* 25 second quip on a storyboard to final rendering analysis on one scene.
* 2:13 minute Animatics picture in picture clip. Shows the animation changes between production levels of the escape sequence.
* 20 slides containing text and and drawing notes of initial production design.
* Pulling the Strings, 1:26 minute low grade animation clip of the director stating his reasons for making this and other films and what he hopes to accomplish.
* Crew commentary, catered to the animation followers.
The menu is eye catching and plays with some decent music. The navigation is too extensive for younger viewers and could have been made much simpler regarding the supplements (combine everything next time). This gets a 5 rating for Lionsgate on a solid picture and sound product. A PG rating with maybe a few scary moments for really young viewers, but presentable to everyone, I think. Have not had any kids run screaming to mom yet while it plays here. Hope you enjoy.