1,244 Reviews
 (1,060)

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavens to Percy!
This is book four of the Percy Jackson series, with only one more installment to come. Readers from around ten years old will be thrilled by the adventures of the teenaged hero who just happens to be the son of Poseidon, God of the Sea, and all his friends, most of whom are the children of the Olympians from Greek Mythology.

In my opinion, it would be better...
Published on May 25, 2008 by Amanda Richards

3.0 out of 5 stars Kind of predictable but okay...
I am an 11th grader, just to let you know. This book is pretty similar to Charlie Bone and Harry Potter when it comes to structure. All of the books have the same...shape to it. This happens, then this, insert death here, and insert fight of the villain that shows in the end of all of the books. Main character win and is crowned a hero. Maybe it's just me but the books...
Published 12 months ago by Chantel S.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavens to Percy!, May 25, 2008

In my opinion, it would be better if you read the series in order, and the three previous books are:

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 1)
The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 2)
The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 3)

In "The Battle of the Labyrinth", Percy and three friends set off on a quest through the treacherous labyrinth, in search of the inventor Daedalus, hoping that he will help them to defeat the army being assembled by Luke, son of Hermes. The thing is - Luke is just the messenger, and the evil he's about to unleash can bring down Olympus itself.

Although still clueless about girls and relationships, Percy starts developing and unleashing his powers, and surprises even himself when he attempts to repeat Hercules' great stable cleansing project. Other demi-gods also come into their own in book four, and a mortal girl proves to be just the ticket, and in the nick of time too. In a related sub-story, the search for Pan reaches an exhilarating climax.

Packed with monsters of all persuasions, gods and demi-gods, rescues, battles and side trips to Alcatraz and Mount St. Helens, this is by far the most exciting book of the series so far.

Amazingly imaginative, thrilling and funny, this series by Rick Riordan continues to be a front runner in children's fiction, and I recommend it without reservation.

Amanda Richards, May 25, 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the wait, May 17, 2008
molly (california) - See all my reviews
The Battle of the Labyrinth is the fourth of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, following The Lightning Thief, The Sea of Monsters, and The Titan's Curse. Several new gods are introduced, and the book picks up an ominous pace as it draws closer to the finale, and the determining battle between gods and Titans.

Percy Jackson has just been accepted to a new school. Again. And despite his every intention not to get kicked out of this one too, being a demigod with Poseidon as your father tends to attract trouble. And monsters, in the form of peppy-but-deadly cheerleaders. After accidentally starting a fire, Percy makes a break for it - along with a mortal girl, Rachel Elizabeth Dare, who has the unusual ability to see through the Mist, the substance that usually hides gods and monsters from mortal eyes.

When he finally makes it back to Camp Half-Blood, Percy finds that all is not well there. His friend Grover is in danger of losing his lifelong dream, his friend Annabeth is treating him oddly, and - worst of all - Nico di Angelo, the half-blood son of Hades, is still at large, trying to bring back his dead sister in exchange for another, living soul.

But all of these pale in comparison to the danger of Kronos, whose followers are growing and whose resurrection is now imminent. When Annabeth is assigned a quest through the perilous Labyrinth of Daedalus, she takes Percy along for the ride - as well as Grover and Percy's Cyclops half-brother, Tyson.

This is the most exciting and action-packed book yet, as the darkness closes in. Real losses and horrors are experienced in this one, both private and large-scale. It is clear that the final battle is drawing near, the battle in which - according to the prophecy - either Percy, or Nico di Angelo, will have a pivotal role to play in either the victory or destruction of Olympus and the gods.

Highly recommended.

Rating: Very good

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Installment So Far!!, May 8, 2008
This is the fourth installment of the Percy Jackson series, and the most engrossing since the first one. Percy Jackson and his friends try to explore the Labyrinth in order to find the inventor Daedalus and prevent Kronos from controlling the Labyrinth. This book has a lot of the humor of the first three installments, but it does take itself serious at times. A lot of the plot threads like Pan finally come to end. I am glad that the series has not run out of steam, and I wait steadily for the final installment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Percy Rocks Again, December 20, 2008
Rick Riordan once again delivers a non-stop fun and wise cracking adventure. From saucy t-shirts to unbelievable monsters and a nice review of Greek Mythology, these books are fabulous and the latest is just as great. Can't wait for the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Astounding, May 8, 2008
A Kid's Review
This is by far one of the best series I have ever read! It ranks right up there with Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. It's writing is so original! Somehow it manages to be sarcastic and funny and sound like a teenager without getting tiring. I finished it in two days and wandered around for about an hour wishing I was still reading it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I could call this the Highlight of the Series..., April 23, 2012
This review is from: The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 4) (Paperback)
... but it just keeps getting better and better!

The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan is the fourth volume in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. And it is the best yet! Action, revelations, character development, everything. In this book, all the characters continue to develop along their paths, and the series grows up a bit.

In this entry, Percy, Annabeth, and Grover are shocked to discover that there is an entrance to *the* world-famous labyrinth, hidden right there in Camp Half Blood. Due to some outside circumstances, the trio's talents are required to enter the Labyrinth and fight their way to meet Daedalus for some help.

I don't like to spoil much when reviewing series books, but let me just say that new characters are introduced (Rachel Elizabeth Dare, anyone?) and some of the adult-ey, romance aspects are played it up. But this book still holds on to the series roots while growing off into different directions.

Riordan's writing is always humorous and witty, and he has again captured the voices of *all* the characters. Like the great series writers past, Riordan has a strong ensemble cast and uses them all deftly and appropriately, without getting too confusing or contrived.

What's so great about these books is that they truly can be enjoyed by all ages. Meaning: I'm 17, I love the whole series. My little brother, 13, was pleased by them as well. And I can tell that I wouldn't mind re-reading them all in the near future, either.

Although this could have fallen victim to Two-Towers "middle-of-the-series" syndrome, it doesn't. Plot lines are introduced, resolved, and, like I mentioned earlier, the conflict is deepening again. Riordan is taking a universal battle-- good vs. evil-- and zooming in on it to cover finer themes of love, loss, and growing up. And it works.

Obviously if you've read this far in the series, you're going to continue with the fabulous The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson & the Olympians, Book 5), which ties with this one for the best book in the series. Good Luck and feast on the exciting read in front of you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love The Old Myths Mixing With The New World, June 13, 2008
THE BATTLE OF THE LABYRINTH is the fourth book of Rick Riordan's projected five-book opus, PERCY JACKSON AND THE OLYMPIANS. The series began with THE LIGHTNING THIEF and has constantly picked up steam as it's progressed. I've been reading the series to my son, and we're looking at the fifth and final book coming out next year with a mixture of anticipation and dread.

We want the next book. We want to know how everything turns out for Percy, Grover, Annabeth, and the rest, but we don't want the adventure to end. Riordan's imagination and zest for action is matched only by his wit and humor. We've become fans and end up talking about the books and Greek mythology quite often.

If you haven't read the series yet, you've missed out on a lot. And you'll probably want to stop reading this review now. Otherwise you're going to trip across some spoilers for the earlier three books. Riordan's books, Percy's adventures, are an organic tale, growing and adding to canon with each new volume. Things just don't stay the same in Percy's ever-changing world.

Well, nothing stays the same except Percy's continuing bad luck with schools. At the beginning of this one, Percy's mom has a new boyfriend that gets Percy into a well-respected school that Percy normally wouldn't have a shot at with his past record of suspicious destruction. Sure enough, almost as soon as Percy sets foot on school grounds, he's attacked by demonic cheerleaders (the empousai, from Greek myth) and the school BURNS.

I couldn't help laughing throughout the section as I read it. Friends of Percy are going to be blown away by the sequence even though they're expecting it. My son and I kept cracking each other up for days afterward. These books just keep on giving!

The book turns more serious, to a degree, when Luke's plans to invade Camp Half-Blood are revealed. Luke, Percy's arch-enemy, is still trying to bring the Titan Kronos back to life so he can wreak vengeance against the Greek gods. Camp Half-Blood, because it houses and trains so many of the demi-gods - the children of the gods with mortal parents, is a prime target.

As always, Riordan establishes the roots of his story in traditional Greek myth. This one deals with Daedalus, the famed inventor that created the Labyrinth that housed the Minotaur. According to Riordan's story, the Labyrinth has become - to a degree - a living thing that continues growing throughout the world and time. I loved the concept and my son was totally engrossed in the idea that the world was honeycombed with magical tunnels. This is the kind of thinking I've come to rely on the author for.

There are other adventures that take place before Percy, Annabeth, and Grover find an opening to the Labyrinth and climb down inside it, but once they're in place the adventure kicks into high gear. They're chasing after Nico, the son of Hades, that no one else at the camp knows about. Percy feels guilty about the death of Nico's sister and doesn't want everyone weirding out about the younger boy. Percy still believes he has a chance to set things straight between him and Nico.

Grover's situation has gotten more dire regarding his hunt for the god, Pan. With all the failures Grover has racked up, the satyr community is thinking about pulling Grover's searcher's license, which means he can't continue hunting for Pan. A lot of things are at stake in this one.

Tyson, Percy's Cyclopean half-brother, stars in this one as well. I have to admit, Tyson is one of my favorite characters in the books. Tyson, with all his childish innocence, has won a special place in the hearts of my son and I. Every time Tyson's on stage we're just waiting to see what he's going to say or do. In this one, Tyson gets to meet Briares, one of the Hundred-Handed Ones, an ancient from Greek myth. Briares's reaction to his jailer is hilarious and I don't want to spoil it, but my son and I went around doing it for days, to the point my wife believed we'd taken leave of our senses. She hasn't quite gotten into the Olympian view yet.

In addition to all the great imagery and dialogue, Riordan continues piling on the Greek mythology in this one. I love how he twists it and brings it into our world. And he dangles each cliffhanger and reveal of the plot with evident glee and precise precision. This next year of waiting is going to be a long one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Read, May 8, 2008
I've really enjoyed each of the installments of Percy Jackson's adventures. I bought this newest one before a road trip and finished it in one day. This is a series that captures the imagination and leaves you anxiously anticipating the next one. I highly recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Standardized Sphinxes, October 3, 2008
These books are always enjoyable. I've been a mythology enthusiast since I was a kid and am still a sucker for creative variations on Greek Myths. I had to particularly laugh at the Sphinx who ditches the traditional riddle contest for a standardized test. Her lines are classic.

"Think? How am I supposed to test whether you can think?, that's ridiculous!"

"If you won't pass, you fail. And since we can't allow any children to be held back, you'll be eaten!"

"My grading machine! I can't be exemplary without my test scores!"

OK, I'm a teacher. I probably found this much more amusing than the kids that this book is targeted toward.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best yet!, December 23, 2008
A Kid's Review
I would stay awake until midnight to read this book. this is the penultimate book in the series and at that, the best.
when 14 year old percy jackson blows up another school and flees to camp,
a quest falls upon them. they must descend into the labyrinth, a gigantic maze that stretches to every single state, find the man who created the labyrinth, deadalus, and convince him to join there side and help them destroy the evil kronos. this is all I can say without giving away anything. and now I'm begging my mom to pre-order the last book. I highly recommend this book.

The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 4)
$7.99 $6.39