4.0 out of 5 stars Why Isn't This Game More Popular?!
Published on December 13, 2010 by William Ayers

3.0 out of 5 stars Falls sadly short of stellar
I'm not exactly sure where all the glaring reviews for this game have come from, but I promise that this review will give an honest opinion of the game.

Published on June 27, 2011 by sktech

4.0 out of 5 stars Why Isn't This Game More Popular?!, December 13, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Battlefield Bad Company 2 Ultimate Edition -Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I've gotten burned out on the Call of Duty series, so a co-worker recommended I pick up Battlefield: Bad Company 2. I must say, this game has exceeded my expectations in almost every way: the team play is rock solid, the "new" game style (new for me) is refreshing, and the vehicles, in my opinion, are quite possibly one of the best parts of the game (though I REALLY DO wish the developers would add some kind of portable, self-guided AA weapon, like a Stinger or Javalin missile). This has to be one of the most realistic military shooters I've played in a while. I especially like how the bullets drop due to gravity (which makes sniping a bit more challenging, yet *a lot* more gratifying when you can get that long distance head shot). There are, however, a couple of things I dislike about the game, so let me get those out of the way first, before I state some of the reasons why BF:BC2 is one of *the most* entertaining shooters of this year.

First off, I have no idea why the developers didn't add the ability to go prone. In real life, if someone is shooting at you, you're first reactions are probably going to be to drop to the ground to make your silhouette as small as possible. I understand how this might make "camping" a bigger issue, but there are so many things in the game that seem to discourage it (including the fact that the maps are so large), that I feel it shouldn't have been an issue. Another thing I found odd, is that unlike most games, there is no button or "action" to climb through windows. Not a huge problem, but definitely inconvenient at times (one work-around is to jump on the window sill, and then crouch to go through it, but it's tricky and takes a little practice). Finally, I wish that you could "take cover" and peek around corners (much like you can in Gears of War), though I guess that's just one of those "niceties" that are a personal preference. Anyways, on to the good parts.

Right off the bat, I think one of the many things I find appealing about BC2 (especially when compared to CoD: MW2) is how they quasi-limit what each class can equip, which I feel like prevents people from creating "super troopers" that can dominate the entire game. Speaking of which, something that used to *drive me nuts* is how it seemed like one person could win the entire match for their team (which has never made sense to me). In Battlefield BC2, it relies on, and fairly generously rewards especially in reguards to your own squad, the team players (as in those players who perform actions that benefit the team), which is much more realistic than everyone trying to go in like some kind of Rambo/Bourne "Army of One" (just ask anyone in the military and they'll tell you that is they first thing they train you not to do). Although it requires a different mindset from most First Person Shooters (and just FYI, it definitely helps if you have a squad full of friends you can talk to, instead of some random PUG), I've seen it work on many occasions, and in my opinion, creates a much more interactive and interesting game. Secondly, the destructible buildings are a HUGE win. Although it can suck when you're trying to take cover in a building that all of a sudden comes crashing down on you, it adds another layer of realism to an already immersive environment. Finally, I *really* like how intuitive and easy they made the game for linking up with your friends in multiplayer. I would have to argue that it's one of the best interfaces I've seen lately, making it very easy to start a squad with your friends and then connect to a game together, or you can just pick up in the middle of whatever game/squad they're already in (assuming, of course, there's room).

All in all, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 has definitely changed the way I think about and view what a FPS (and for that matter, a military-styled FPS) should be. I think this game has raised the bar, and hopefully set the standard, as to what is possible in a vast, multifaceted, interactive world where you almost feel like you're in the middle of a real war. I was very tempted to give this game 5 stars, but I'm pretty selective/picky when it comes to giving out "perfect scores", and feel that there were enough (very) minor issues to prevent me from doing so; however, if I could give it a 4.9, I would. If you're looking for an alternative to the repetative "run & gun" shooters that a lot of companies seem to be trying to emulate and/or imitate, I *highly* recommend you pick up Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and give it a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bad Company 2 delivers, December 8, 2010
MikeInCleveland "Mike" (Parma, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I've been playing this game for a little over 2 months now and so far it still delivers every single day. I play mainly on line with other people through the Rush and Conquest modes. Even though the maps do repeat on a daily basis, there are now about a dozen maps to play, and because they are so big, and because every player uses different tactics, the game is never the same twice.

The graphics are still IMHO better than the on line version of CoD Black Ops and the play is still more realistic as far as I am concerned. Buildings crumble or can be demolished. A huge assortment of weapons keeps gameplay very entertaining and I often find myself going back to some of the earliest weapons available in play just so I can get more points killing. (there is an objective to this game in multiplayer other than just killing for points)

A new map pack 7 was just released with 4 new great maps and the Vietnam expansion is coming on December 21st. I simply can't wait and will probably spend my entire Christmas weekend playing on my xBox.

For those that don't know, the on line experience can be played with as little as one or two people a team, though the game allows up to 12 people per side. Each "team" can be broken up into groups of 4 called squads. Squad members can chat with each other and spawn off each other in the game. if the squad is a good one, they will typically have one of each type of character. (Recon, Medic, Assault, and Engineer) Having a multitude of characters enables the best fighting IMHO because people can more easily "cover your back" As an example:

Medic the medic typically carries a machine gun that holds a very large capacity of bullets. This is exceptional for clearing out large numbers of enemies who may be spawning off each other. When other guns are used, one sometimes has to stop to reload and gets killed. the medic also carries a defib device and can revive teammates who have gotten killed. (or kill enemies with it)

Engineer, the engineer can carry around anti vehicle weapons and plant tracer darts so other team members can more easily shoot down choppers and identify enemy vehicles. the engineer can also plant anti tank mines, which work great for destroying heavy armor. The engineer can also use his repair tool to effectively repair vehicles in battle.

Assault, The assault person generally carries a machine gun and a pile of grenades, though depending on the weapon chosen, the assault person can carry large amounts of C4 which is great for blowing up anything and everything including building, vehicles, A and B objectives, or even people. The assault person can also drop ammo packs which re-supply the others on your team and in your unit.

Recon, this is the last of 4 and in no way is this charater any less important. The recon person has a huge choice of weapons available and uses stealth to move around. One weapon might be a long range sniper rifle with scope, or if involved in urban combat, maybe even a shotgun. the recon person can also carry C4 explosives or call in a mortar strike wich is deadly against virtually anything and over time can even destroy buildings. Because of the nature ofthe recon person, this person also often spots enemies for others in the group and "saves" others by sniping enemies who lie in wait to get your teammates.

So there you have it, a brief summary of the play and available characters in the game. At the cuirrent price, it is one heck of a deal and well worthy of getting someone for a gift if they do not yet have this game. Good luck and have fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Do not Buy Battlefield Bad Company 2 Ultimate Edition Used or New, October 6, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Okay game it self is fun but let me tell you about the things it comes with. I got the game used little did i know all the stuff is a one time use code that Expires August 31,2011 i thought it was all on the disc. Now if you want to buy BFBC2 that's fine just don't buy Ultimate Edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, November 2, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game gives you alot for its price.

+ battlefield 1943

+ onslaught mode

Battlefield takes a new depth into the fps. it makes your gameplay change depending on the guns you use. though i can't really say one gun class dominates multiplayer because the maps make it so that you have the options of sniping, running and gunning, hide and shoot, and blow stuff up.

+ the games online play is unique in a sense that it is more real than mw2

+ the campaign is pretty sick

+ onslaught mode basically prepares you for multiplayer against the very competitive xbox live community

+ the rankings don't reflect on your k-d of games as much as mw2.

the only negative i can think of for this game would have to be that the servers may kick you out every now and then. otherwise this game blows out mw2 in the strategy department of online play. for instance you can't expect to flank the other team and kill everyone unless you have a sniper and find great clearing. It makes you work more as a team than lone wolf play.

3.0 out of 5 stars Falls sadly short of stellar, June 27, 2011
sktech "sktech" (Middlesboro, KY United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars

Let me preface this review by saying that I started playing FPS with Modern Warfare 2 and then continued on to Black Ops. However, I am not a drinker of the so called "COD" "Kool-aid" as I really could care less who makes the game as long as the game is playable and fun. That being said, I don't care if it is EA or Activision or Infinity Ward or whoever, as long as the game is worth buying. I will also admit that I have been frustrated to no end by some of the gameplay of the COD series (really the multiplayer in particular) with all the "noob-tubing" and constant barrage of annoying kids playing the series. So, that's why I decided to try and find an alternative. I rented three FPS games that are comparable in the hopes that at least ONE of them would be an alternative to MW2 or Black Ops. Sadly, Battlefield Bad Company 2 falls way short. My reasons are below:

Graphics:
The graphics are actually pretty good and are comparable to MW2. On some maps they actually look a little better. It's a close toss-up on which series is superior in this area. However, this is not as important an issue to me as the fluid motion of the controls.

Controls:
Both feel very similar in how you control you player and the options available. Where BFBC2 falls short is the ability to climb objects like you can in MW2. I read a review somewhere in which the reviewer stated something to the effect of "you get used to not being able to climb things and you time it so that you can consistently jump through windows or on objects". To me this is unacceptable. If they fix this problem in the next version of BFBC2, great. But for now, I think it is a very important feature that is lacking and needed in this game, especially with the way the maps are laid out. The inability to go prone in the game is also an issue. I think MW2 has the edge in this area.

Player motion/feel:
I read other reviews where this was a problem with BFBC2 and it indeed is true. After running the maps in multiplayer, I found myself constantly getting stuck trying to get through doorways. It was as if my character was "veering" constantly as I tried to maneuver him left or right to rush through doorways. This is a huge annoyance to me and one that is not found in MW2. When you aim for the doorway while running in MW2, you make it through the doorway you are aiming for, not shifting or sliding along and stuck in the door-facing. However, one of the positives for BFBC2 was the character's running ability seemed to be much longer and better than MW2.

Weapon selection/create-a-class:
I may not have played the game long enough to see if this was much better than MW2, but I have to admit that I was so frustrated with the mechanics of the character movement that I didn't play it long enough to level up to unlock new weapons and customize very much. However, I think that MW2 has a great setup that allows you to get everything order before matches, rather than trying to alter weapons from a drop-down box right before the match starts or during a new spawn. With MW2, you simply select a new class and everything you wanted in that class is ready to go with you. I was not a huge fan of the way BFBC2 is set up for weapon selection and re-spawning.

Multiplayer:
I only played a few maps as I was frustrated with the way my character "handled" during gameplay and the weapon selection process. Yes, I will admit it is really cool that you destroy buildings or cave in single walls--very cool. Maybe this does prevent "camping" to an extent. However, the problem I found is the maps in BFBC2 are too BIG. Yes, maybe sometimes the maps on MW2 are too small, yes it lends to campers and spawn-kills, both of which I hate. BUT, when I spawn on BFBC2 and I have to run 3/4 of the way across a HUGE map, that takes away from time playing this game for its real intent: scoring points, winning, and leveling up. Is the teamwork concept for BFBC2 better than just "Rambo" mode on MW2? Probably so, but the problem I had was hiking out to help take the objectives with my team after re-spawning once I died.

I know this review could go on forever, but I chose to talk about things that were important to me in FPS. I know that there will be people who will want to bash this review--but I honestly don't care. I present my unbiased opinion as I only want a FPS that is fun to play and suits my needs. I'm sorry for those of you who think BFBC2 is the greatest, but for me this game falls well short of fun. Maybe if I spent more time playing I would get used to the quirkiness of the multiplayer, but at this point it was frustrating enough to stop me from buying the game to try for an extended period of time. Maybe BFBC3 will be better--I hope to find out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, March 21, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game IMO is better than Battlefield 3. This game beats MW2, MW3, This game is for hardcore players (ONLY) no running around knifing people like Rambo. Your skills will be put to the test. Also for the ones saying the codes expire August 31, 2011 you are all wrong! The codes still work, learn to try before you cry. To those of you who want a realistic modern day shooter than go with BC2 you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Ultimate, December 17, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is the second "Ultimate Edition" that I've bought this month, and now, just as before, I am very happy with my purchase. I missed out on most of what the BATTLEFIELD franchise has evolved into; I think the last game I played was BATTLEFIELD 1942. This package was a great way for me to "catch up" and see what all the fuss about this game was truly about.

I'm glad my expectations were set so moderately so that they could be broken in such an insane manner.

BAD COMPANY 2 (4/5 Stars):

This game is great, I can't stress that enough. If I had to pick between BC2 and CoD: BLACK OPS to take with me to a deserted island, I'd be taking BC2. But it loses a star because when I buy a FPS, I do expect a good campaign to go along with the multiplayer that will be inevitably touted. In this case, while the multiplayer is indeed stellar, the campaign still has some catching up to do.

I never got a chance to play the first BAD COMPANY (something I hope to fix soon), but it wasn't too hard to figure out what was going on. The backdrop seems to have been carried over from the last game, but the story itself is fairly self-contained.

The characters are fun, well-written and very competently voiced. I won't say they're particularly deep, because the story doesn't really allow them many chances to shine. Remember those awesome trailers from BC1? I kind of expected a lot of that, but just didn't find it. Since the story itself is almost cliche, sending you across South America to track down a secret weapon (that's it), I expected more out of the writing, but didn't get much more.

On the whole, the campaign doesn't maintain the excitement or immersion that the first level provides. As amazing as it was, most of the following missions boil down to destroying entire villages, which, after a few hours in, just stopped making sense. Everyone in South America wants a piece of you, and their aim is frighteningly good, so you'll need to rely on your three (count them: three) squadmates to pick up the slack. Kinda sucks, because they ultimately drop the ball in that regard.

The AI in this game is absolutely horrible. Sometimes they'd follow me, sometimes they wouldn't. Sometimes I'd get halfway into a firefight and they'd just up and disappear. I'd walk through a tunnel just before one of them recommends, "Let's check out that tunnel." On several occasions, I'd just watch as they unload every round on their person, trying in vain to kill one guy who's been standing out in the open. And the AI of the enemy is just as bad, since they ultimately disregard my squadmates and attack me every single time, regardless of whether or not I'm actually returning fire.

So...the campaign. Not quite a bust, but I can't really see myself playing through it again anytime soon unless I'm feeling achievement happy. There are some amazing set pieces throughout, but they're sandwiched in between long stretches of just-your-average-shoot-everything-around-you gameplay.

But the multiplayer, that's another monster entirely. This is where the game really shines. The game modes are pretty much what you'd see in other games, but it's the Frostbite Engine itself that makes them great strategic fun. The maps are HUGE, and pretty much everything built on top of them is destructible and behaves realistically. Meaning: you can shoot and hack through a wooden fence, but you won't have the same luck with a concrete wall. If a sniper is hiding in a house, you can get a tank and bring the building around him, wall by wall, and to a point where it'll eventually collapse.

You'll have to slow down and use strategy in maneuvering around these maps, which is a breath of fresh air in comparison to the breakneck pace of CoD. Factor in a whole bunch of unique vehicles, great level design, and a rewarding leveling system, and you've got a great online multiplayer experience that (for the most part) will be unlike other FPSs that you've played.

BATTLEFIELD 1943 (5/5 Stars):

I was so happy to see this was a part of the package. This is essentially a remake of BATTLEFIELD 1942, one of my favorite games from back in the day. Three maps are included (with Wake Island being one of them!) for the "capture the flag" mode, but there is also another mode, "Air Superiority," where you basically fly around and kill the opposing team. Basic package, but it's just as fun as it was eight years ago and was a real trip down memory lane for me.

This "Ultimate Edition" also includes codes for VIP access to free BC2 maps and Onslaught Mode, which I have yet to play. Great package at a great price. This is a fantastic game with an addicting multiplayer element, in addition to some astounding technology powering it all. In so many words: beautiful, addicting, and fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome! Dream Game., January 22, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Great price for all that you get, like over a gig of free downloadable content, Battlefield 1943 arcade game. Multiplayer blows COD out of the water. I honestly have no desire whatsoever to pick up a COD game ever again. Huge arenas of battle, heli's, tanks, UAV'S, ATV'S, everything and thats not including weapons. Very well balanced. This game is my dream game and its worth every penny and I got it for cheap. Break away from COD's shallow gameplay and give this a try. Nothing reaches the feeling of awesomeness when you fire a bullet over a hill to get a headshot on the other side. Pure fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars COD players moving in to the Battlefield read this, June 23, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is for the negative reviews coming from COD players I've read concerning how "unbalance" and how hard it is to get a kill on day one. Play as a medic or mechanic, and start as a support. All new guys should start as a medic healing and reviving the team, a demo as a mechanic fixing damaged helicopters and tanks coming back to the base etc, the thing that people dont get from the cod croud is that this game is all TEAM based, you can have a ton of fun playing on the back line in the base as a support, a sniper on the base protecting all the fleet and medics, a lone sniper protecting a firing squad from a mile away, a combat medic on a squad with the only job of healing and reviving, a machine gunner that lays supressing fire, a sniper spotter that spots and protects his partner, a proffesional dedicated pilot that picks up a team and airborne drops them, a tank driver, a tank attendant, a recon specialist calling in airstrikes, etc so much more. This is not COD where everyone is trigger happy going for kills. I've seen how dumb privates in this game start running to the other side of the enemy lines tossing a grenade into that direction and aiming down with no team support thinking they are gonna own just like in cod...lol. You rank up here doing your job as a team player, hell you can play the game and rank up to level 50 witout never killing or shooting a single bullet. Do you get it now?

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun game, November 28, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this game in an effort to look for a different type of multiplayer game in a first person shooter format. I found it in Battlefield Bad Company 2. I wasn't a huge fan of battlefield one, though I really enjoy 1942. I am a huge fan of this game, the maps are big and challenging, the vehicles are fun, and the interactive terrain engine is amazing. I am not very far in to the game and have not even started the single player, but so far I am not real impressed by the amount of customization available in the multi player, other than that this is a great game.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 Ultimate Edition -Xbox 360