Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Battlefield 2142 Deluxe Edition [Instant Access]
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on April 5, 2014
Having played the pre-release demo of the original Battlefield 1942 game, I can say I've been around PC gaming for some time. I believe BF2142 to be a better game than its current player base would indicate. I operate a dedicated server for the game and although it doesn't get a lot of players, I have bots running so there's always action. The bots in this game are not as brain-dead as in most games. For instance, they will actually respond to your radio calls like if you say "I need a pickup", a nearby bot-driven vehicle might respond with "That ain't gonna' happen!".

The game, being older now, runs great on even low-end systems. I run Windows 7 64-bit and have had no issues with compatibility. The only thing I've noticed, and it's a small inconvenience, is that the first time I try to join a server online, it always says "Disconnected with the server" and you have to join again. The second time, it always connects. Odd thing.

Servers with bots can run only 16 players total, including the bots, but other game modes allow up to 64 players. There are vehicles like buggies, tanks, and helicopters to be operated. There is a game mode called Titan where each team tries to destroy the other's floating space station by capturing missile sites are directly assaulting the Titan by landing on it via aircraft or being launched up to it from a vehicle.

The weaponry is nice and each class has a special ability like healing or supplying ammo. The graphics are really quite good for a game of this age especially if you turn everything up to max. You might want to add a line to your "Target" section in the games launch shortcut to adjust to newer monitors. For instance, if you have a 1080p widescreen monitor, add the following (after a space) to the end of the target line in the shortcut's properties:

+menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1920 +szy 1080

This will give you full widescreen and native resolution for your monitor.

If you decide to grab this game, look for my dedicated server "Battles With Bots".
on April 9, 2014
Battlefield 2142 uses Gamespy for its multiplayer, whose services will shut down by the end of May 2014 so there's no better time to try this game's multiplayer. Probably why its price went so low? I doubt EA will do anything to update the game so multiplayer can still be played afterward. In any case, there are only a handful of player run servers still available for the game and the graphics hold up well. When loading the game, players are required to log in with their EA account, which is not the same as their Origin account.

Gameplay is pretty fun, and plays like all Battlefield titles. I think the only thing some players will have trouble getting used to is limited sprint, and will need to get accustomed to choosing spawn points in order to get into combat quickly if they haven't played pre-Bad Company Battlefield titles. There's a game adviser while playing, but it didn't really explain much when it came to the game's Titan mode (no the mechs aren't the Titans like Titanfall).
on February 14, 2014
I use to play this game back in the day for hours. It was really great for it's time.
After playing the newer BF games you will loose interest fast. For one there isn't many servers available to play on anymore. As of 02/13/2014, I only saw about 5 servers available.

I really do hope they make room for a newer version of this game. This game was on sale for $2.99 on Amazon, so I decided to jump on it and give it a go again. Even if I only get a few hours in, it would be worth it.

(there are some tweaks to get the game to run in 1080 / widescreen, just google it)
on February 13, 2014
This game is absolutely AMAZING! I personally thought it was way ahead of its time. The only negative thing to say about it is that there aren't many servers left to play on. But the game itself is a classic and I'm confident that people will continue to play it, even if only on a handful of servers. I have a feeling it will go free one day like BF1942 did (for a limited time) and that will boost the playerbase again.

REALLY fun game modes like Titan. The mechs are cool. The weapons are cool. Can't say it enough how great the game is.
on April 10, 2014
GameSpy was used as an EXTERNAL tool for this game. When GameSpy shuts down, this game will still function normally.

As for my review on this game, I have played over 500 hours on it. It is my favorite Battlefield of them all. It brings back the old style of playing which was not reliant on constant bombardment of achievements. It rewarded team play, and tactical play. The game is fairly balanced. The giant maps give way for vehicle warfare and the smaller maps where excellent for infantry combat. Overall this game has been a fantastic experience for me, and hopefully it will be free so that the player base can grow again. If you are living in the United States one server still plays titan mode with 48 players. It still gets full with old and new players a like. So you wont be missing any action or fun if you were to buy this game. $1.00 is a very good price for what you get.
on May 21, 2014
As per EA's own announcements:
[...]
[...]

The online component to the game is to be shut down at the end of June 30, 2014.
I'm pretty sure the game will not work afterwards since to start playing requires a login.
Buy the game at your own peril.
on May 28, 2014
A really great BF game with a wonderful setting. Unfortunate that EA and Origin have let official multiplayer servers die. Should be playable with community support, but buyer beware, this games time has passed in the eyes of the developers.
on April 9, 2014
Its a fantastic game, the only problem is the lack of servers. There are more fingers on my hands than total number servers in the game. Met my expectations of being amazing, i just want more servers. I mean whats a game if theres no way to play it.
on May 11, 2014
I used to love this game when it was new. I lost my original discs, so I happily picked this up. Knowing that GameSpy was shutting down on May 31, 2014, I waited for EA to announce that they would continue to keep the game servers running. They finally told us that Battlefield games wouldn't be affected, and that servers would remain running. They mislead us, as they just announced that Battlefield servers will be taken down on June 30, 2014. After June 30th, you will not be able to play this game online. You can play LAN matches or with bots, but the best part of the game (online play) will be dead.

This applies to all of the classic Battlefield games Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 2, Battlefield Vietnam, and Battlefield 2142 are all being taken offline after June 30, 2014.

This is a great game. It takes the fun of Battlefield 2 (arguably the best Battlefield game) and moves it to the future. I'll be enjoying it until the last moment, but I can't recommend that anyone spend money on it at this point.
on June 30, 2014
I loved this game ever since it came out. Got it for only $1 on amazon. So worth it. I wish we had bots or something because there are only 3 servers and usually only 1 is populated. Still a fun game. Beats shelling out $60 for Titanfall.