1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars After I got over the changed character of Starbuck, I enjoyed the story, March 25, 2011
This review is from: Battlestar Galactica: Season Zero Volume 2 TPB (Battlestar Galactica (Numbered Paperback)) (v. 2) (Paperback)
I was an insatiable fan of the original "Battlestar Galactica" series, even to the point that I captured the episodes on audiotape and replayed them constantly. To date, I have not seen so much as a minute of the new series, and this is the first item that I have read about it. As is usually the case with me, it took some time for me to warm to the newest incarnations of the characters that I enjoyed so much the first time around.
The setting is before the catastrophic war with the Cylons, there is rot within the leadership of the colonies and Adama and the crew of the Galactica are standing firm against the nefarious elements. Byron Dane is a strong critic of the rulers of the colonies and he claims that the government systematically killed his group of colonists when they colonized a planet far away from the others. Dane is the only member of the group that survived and he is now using every possible avenue to make his case heard. Members of the Galactica crew are assigned to guard him and after an assassination attempt, Dane is brought aboard the Galactica.
Adama openly accuses one of the highest military officials of malfeasance and there is retaliation when an agent sabotages the Galactica, forcing it to crash land on a snow-covered planet. The colonies have also been infiltrated by the Cylons, their human form makes that very easy and they are also working to weaken the colonies.
The battles take place at many levels and locations, there is duplicity and treason everywhere in the colonies and it often seems as if Adama and his command are battling alone against powerful forces. I enjoyed the story, although I did have a very difficult time accepting a female Starbuck. The cigar smoking hedonist male Starbuck was my favorite character in the original series.

Used & New from: $2.92