1,253 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!
Published on May 29, 2006 by Steven R. McEvoy

3.0 out of 5 stars Fraking amazing
First off, the show is 5 stars or more. Best show currently on cable TV as far as I can tell. But this hd-dvd leaves PLENTY TO BE DESIRED.

Published on December 11, 2007 by Jason

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, May 29, 2006
This is one of the best shows on TV right now, according to many media outlets. "A Breakaway Hit!" -TV Guide and "The Best Show on Television." -Newsday are but two examples of the rave reviews it has received. If you are a sci-fi fan, this is a must-see show. If you aren't a sci-fi fan, you should still consider checking this out. Even though it's in space and has killer robots, it is more human than most other drama shows on TV today. So say we all.

This box set includes the miniseries that re-launched this show and returned it to TV for the first time since the 1970's. It has the 4-hour miniseries and the 13 episodes from the first season. It stars Edward James Olmos as Commander Adama Captain of the Battlestar Galactica, and Mary McDonnell as the newly invested president of the 12 colonies of man. She was formerly the secretary of education.

The Cylon's had not been heard from in years. Then in one day they attack and destroy nearly all human life in attacks on all planets and most military assets. Now with the war against the Cylon robots lost, the Battlestar Galactica crew speed toward the fabled 13th colony on a long lost planet, called Earth. Galactica Commander Adama and President Laura Roslin face waning supplies, crushed morale, ... and the credible threat Cylons aboard the ship. Cylons that look like humans now not just shiny machines.

Humanity's children have come home and they are trying to destroy their creators.

Some of the amazing cast are:

Edward James Olmos as Commander William Adama

Mary McDonnell as Laura Roslin

Katee Sackhoff as Lt. Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

Jamie Bamber as Captain Lee "Apollo" Adama

James Callis as Dr. Gaius Baltar Vice President

Tricia Helfer as Number Six

Grace Park as Lt. Sharon "Boomer" Valerii

Richard Hatch as Tom Zarek (The original Apollo)

Tahmoh Penikett as Lt. Karl C. "Helo" Agathon

Michael Hogan as Col. Saul Tigh

Aaron Douglas as CPO Galen "Chief" Tyrol

Alessandro Juliani as Lt. Felix Gaeta

Kandyse McClure as P02 Anastasia Dualla

Paul Campbell as Billy Keikeya

This cast works so well together, that after the miniseries they rewrote parts of the series to give the "Chief" a much larger role.

This series will draw you in and capture your imagination. It is full of religious symbols and images. There are visions, prophecies, and sacred scrolls. It is a drama of the most intense nature. Check it out, you will watch the DVD's over and over again.

The best Sci-fi series since Babylon 5.

So Say We All!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best shows on television regardles of genre..., July 25, 2005
J. Kitchen (St. Paul, MN United States) - See all my reviews
I posted a very favorable review of the mini-series that launched this new version of Battlestar Galactica. The series has taken all of the things that were so enjoyable and woven them into a great television series.

First and foremost it's a drama about people. If you want trite, craptacular, formula don't look to this show. The writers and the cast of actors and actresses have embodied these characters with more detail and emotion than any other television show I can think of in recent years. Entire episodes go buy without spaceships or planets and we don't mind. We care about the people first, the special effects second. The underpinnings of loyalty, relationships that remain steadfast after 20 years, love and rivalry, purpose and duty, all come to the forefront of this show.

The executive producer of the show, Ron Moore, has been very crafty in his vision. Things so painful about the original series are now far more frightning. The bad guy robots, the Cylons, aren't slow moving toasters anymore. They look like us and have carried out the obliteration of mankind with darwin like overtones and a zeal fueled by a religion that holds man as the creator. Yikes! Add in that they've figured out how to use sex as a weapon...

The hardcore "living in the basement of their parents house" crowd will continue to make savage attacks on this show no matter what. Mercifully the people who live in the real world recognize the product of a tremendous number of talented and gifted people. Ratings have been high for a reason.

If Frasier was a weekly half hour of wonderful broadway farce then the new version of Battlestar Galactica is a taunt hour of psychological insight into the workings of real people in a hellish situation.

I don't own a single live action television series on DVD or videotape but have pre-ordered this one because I want to watch it again to see what I missed the first time I watched it.

This is a show that may ripple through the industry because it proves what Jay Ward knew with Rocky and Bulwinkle: you don't dumb down the material. The kids might not get all the jokes but the adults who do will love it all the more. With Battlestar Galactica you can find episodic sci-fi if that's what you need. If you want something more, human drama that demands emotional investment on a scale rarely seen in the broadcast mediums, it's a meal of plenty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fracking addicting television!, September 25, 2005
Brad (Central Washington, USA) - See all my reviews
As a fan of the original Battlestar Galactica, I had my doubts about this "re-imagining" as did many others. The old saying goes: "Don't knock it till you try it." Therefore, I did. Picking up the US Season One set (which includes the miniseries) I popped in disc one.

Three hours later, I was completely hooked. I popped in disc two and watched the first four episodes, then the next four on the following disc.

I am totally addicted to this show. The conflicts between and within the characters themselves, the fantastic visual effects, and the writing and direction totally immerse the viewer into their universe.

Olmos is brilliant as William Adama, and I truly believe he is a worthy successor to the role of Adama, originally played by the late Lorne Greene. It was good to see Richard Hatch (the original series' Apollo) back in action. He does a great job playing the reformed terrorist Tom Zarek. I was a little leery about having a female portray Starbuck at first, but I'm very glad they cast Katee Sackhoff. She really pulls off the part well. Jamie Bamber is a great new Apollo, and Mary McDonnell (no stranger to human disaster flicks--"Independence Day") does an admirable job playing the tormented President Roslin.

I have to say my personal favorite character here is Gaius Baltar, played to perfection by James Callis. He is both genius in his brilliance and extremely looney, and his interactions with the mysterious Number Six (Tricia Helfer, WOW) are funny and well-performed.

I'm just now wrapping up Season One. I have not seen any episodes of Season Two yet. Looking forward to it.

One thing about this series: Don't skip ANY episodes. These are not standalone episodes, to be sure. It's one continuous storyline, and missed eps can result in a degree of confusion.

My recommendation? If you are a fan of Sci-fi in any way, and enjoy a good, briskly paced dramatic storyline, look no further than the new Battlestar Galactica. Pick this one up NOW.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fraking amazing, December 11, 2007
This review is from: Battlestar Galactica - Season One [HD DVD] (HD DVD)

First, they reused the same menus as were used in Heroes season 1 on HD-DVD, this is fine with me, as that menu scheme is very nice. The interactive parts of this hd-dvd release (the U control stuff) is great, but I'll never view the show this way but once, if that.

I own the original dvd of this (season 1 and the miniseries stand alone dvd), I was highly looking forward to watching this on HD-DVD. But I was sadly disappointed!

The video quality on the mini series is horrible, looks like 480p! Watching the miniseries on dvd upconverted generally looks better, save a few scenes. Also the audio gets out of sync quite a few times during the show.

The TV shows look substantially better than the mini-series, with many scenes looking very good, but not as noticeable of an upgrade as say, heroes or smalleville, which I also own, and are also on HD-DVD. Those releases are/were fantastic, with pristine transfers. This looks like it was rushed. And pity that, I would be fine with spending 40 dollars, 50 max for this, but 100? or even amazon's low price makes me feel like I'm apart of some cylon conspiracy.

If the video not being up to standards is not enough, the case arrived crushed due to be shipped in an envelope (first time this has ever happened to me from amazon) and the discs were scratched (seems this is the default, not the exception from others reviews).

With that said, I whole heartedly recommend this series to any and everyone, it is amazing. The best thing about the HD-DVD is the phenomenal sound, this was a huge upgrade, I cant really applaud any other parts of this release.

In closing, this show is fantastic, the video quality leaves much to be desired, they should re-master the mini-series, as this looks very bad here. The HD-DVD is still better than the DVD, but not by much.

I hope universal will release season 2, 3, and Razor on HD-DVD soon. However, I will not be pre-ordering those until after I read more reviews. The dvd's I have look fantastic as is (upconverted) so if the picture quality is no real improvement, I have no real need to spend double the money.

I must note, I am not against spending 70 dollars for a TV show (I do have both sopranos seasons in HD, and they cost far more) on an High Def format, but I am against getting sub-par transfers, Heroes, and Smallville both on HD-DVD blows this out of the water in terms of picture quality, and packaging. This show deserves better, we deserver better.

So say we all!

PS, if you are having problems getting the discs in or out of the case, twist the disc's and they come right off or on, pulling will likely pull the glue off of the packaging.

4.0 out of 5 stars The UK Version Rocks, can't wait for the US Release, August 25, 2005
Okay, so I bought the UK dvd set BEFORE I found out about the mini series not being included. BUMMER.

That said, I watched the show with complete ignorance, having only seen the original series (which I absolutely love by the way). I watched one episode at 8 am on a Monday, and had to call into work for a sick day by the end of the episode. WOW.

First, the writing on this show is spectacular. All of the characters are likeable, but have their troubles laid out before your very eyes. Even the villains are compassionate and sympathetic, and this feels to me what the original series should have been.

For example, the original Baltar was a comic book villain. He was evil because he was greedy and liked being evil. Not so this time around. Baltar here betrays the world without knowing it, and spends much of the series inadvertantly saving the heroes.

Edward James Olmos is out of site as Adama, and also takes the helm directing a few episodes. This experienced character actor adds a great sense of comedic and dramatic timing, and seems to set the bar higher for the actors around him.

Mary McDonnel adds to the talent of this series as the President of the colonial fleet, a character not included in the original series. The addition of a civilian government leads to endless possibilities for the show, as well as a tremendous cameo by the guy who played Apollo in the original series.

Jamie Bamber does a competent job as Apollo, with just the right amount of schoolboy charm and good looks to make you know that he is the main character, but without overdoing it.

There are two break out stars from this series, Katee Sackhoff as Starbuck and the AMAZING Grace Park who plays Boomer.

In the instance of Sackhoff, she is able to play Starbuck as an alcohol drinking, card playing, stogie smoking hotshot who also has a heart of gold, many demons inside and a talent for flying that is unmatched by any other. Having been a really big fan of the original Starbuck, this was the character that most worried me. I am pleased to say that, IMHO, this version of Starbuck is BETTER than the original.

And Grace Park? I am amazed that such a young, unkown and relatively untrained actress can keep up with her demanding character. From the beginning we know that Boomer carries a deep secret, and this actress carefully walks us through the mind of this poor tortured character.

The series itself has some of the best written dialogue of any show out there, and knows how to mix in enough subplots to make for a very addicting storyline.

The tv show uses a similar style of directing its outer space sequences to the one that was made famous by Firefly. There are lots of zoom in shots and really basic beats in the background to allow the viewer to focus on the action.

I highly recommend this tv series for anyone who is a fan of science fiction, good drama, and of course, for those who like to see good looking women smoke cigars.

5.0 out of 5 stars BSG is exactly what sci-fi drama is all about (miniseries spoilers), October 1, 2005
Having watched this gem of a show through to the midpoint of season two (where we all now wait again breathless while Sci-Fi inserts another three month pause), I have not been so jazzed about a science fiction drama since Babylon 5.

Much of BSG's suspense comes from the inexorable actions of its antagonists, a machine race known as the Cylons. The Cyclons were built by humankind and ultimately turned on their human masters. Many years after a great conflict, the Cylons were not heard of again, until one day they return to destroy their original creators. Having infiltrated humanity with new models of machine that can pass undetected amongst the populace, they strike with shocking speed and malace. Humanity is nearly wiped out. But a small fleet of ships manages to escape, carrying the few remaining survivors in search of a new home: a place of religious legend known only as "Earth".

But the search for a their new home is frought with peril, both within and without. Where will they get supplies? How will the survivors be governed in this time of crisis? Who can be trusted when the enemy can pass so convincingly for friend? When will the enemy strike next? Can humanity stay together or will everything fall apart?

The first season, much like B5's first season, lays the groundwork for future story arcs. Many of these don't pay off completely until the second season and beyond. At the same time the first season illustrates, in both grand and subtle ways, the many different costs that humanity pays on that day of tragedy: the lives lost, the freedom sacrificed, the hope that must be rebuilt. And in the wake of all of this, everyone -- everyone -- is still expected to do their duty. Because even greater tolls are paid when they don't.

BSG ultimately does something very important that all good drama should. At the end of every season (and at the end of many episodes), one can _feel_ how much the people and situations have changed. There is a strong undercurrent of cause and effect, and that the effects have long-term consequences that won't be simply forgotten in the next episode.

BSG is unrelenting in its story progression. There is almost always a sense that something is happening, people are changing, events are unfolding. Never is it necessary to advertise that "something will happen" (unlike a certain plane crash survivor drama). Something is always happening, and those somethings add up to dramatic changes for those living with their effects.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reality Bites - That's Why the New BSG Rules, February 2, 2006
I read every single review - negative and positive - several times before buying this set. I was doubtful whether I could like the new BSG. I watched the old one as a child and enjoyed the whole series on the Space Channel maybe 3 times as an adult. But I gave it a try, and - to be honest - there's no going back to the old one.

There are hundreds of reviews, so let me try to save you some time. Most of the negative criticism focuses on a handful of points: 1) it isn't exactly like the original, 2) women shouldn't be warriors, cylons, and politicians, 3) there's too much current or even old technology in the props, 4) so-called "shaky" camera style, and 5) plot holes. Let me address these as both a childhood fan and adult fan of the original.

First, it really isn't the same as the original. It has the same premise, and hits the same major plot events, but manages to surprise even those familiar with the original. In the end, the original can't be re-made. Lorne Greene is dead and Richard Hatch and Dirk Benedict (original Apollo and Starbuck) are much too old to pick up where they left off. And you know, it shouldn't be re-done. I loved the original, but it was lame. It was campy, and over-idealistic. The good guys were excessively good, which is why we love them, but they're only a fantasy. The original Baltar was inexplicable, and the women merely constituted a parade of, I must concede totally gorgeous, 70s babes with 70s hair. I notice that only my male friends like the original. My female friends and girlfriend just can't sit through a single episode because its social values, while fun for boys, are simply out of date for women.

Which brings us to number two: a few have expressed anger that women are suddenly pilots and leaders. There are still men out there who believe women shouldn't be in the military, but rather should stay home and look like pretty 70s babes from the original show. But, having spent a few years in the military myself, I can tell those who don't know better that women have been in the military for years. It's a dead issue, so get over it. In countries like Russia and Israel, for example, women do mandatory combat duty. They're not just cooks and secretaries. Anyway, this is a show about the last 47,000 humans from a civilization of 12 planets. They under constant attack. How could they afford not to have women in their military and leadership? Let's put this argument to bed permanently, shall we?

The third criticism is that there's too much "un-futuristic" technology in the show. Well, the show does explain that advanced networks and computers are susceptible to Cylon virus attacks. It should be blatantly obvious that this is credible. As anti-virus software improves, so do viruses. But the show does use a lot of present-day firearms and vehicles. At first, I wondered why they were "skimping" out on the future-gear. But I realized that this is not just a show about futuristic props, but a show that attempts to be as relevant to the viewer as possible. It really doesn't matter whether four-wheeled vehicles are Hummers or something more futuristic-looking. The endless props don't drive the show: the plot and characters do. There's more than enough technology in the show when it's needed. You'll see, unless you only care about seeing a constant display of nothing but futuristic-looking equipment. But I need more from a good show than cool gear ad nauseam.

Speaking of nausea, the fourth major complaint is the shaky or "reality" camera style, as if the action is being shot live. It is indeed reminiscient of NYPD Blue, and some people who are easily vulnerable to motion sickness don't like it. It's a style I appreciate, so that the show doesn't feel as "staged" as it would be with more contrived camera work, but I understand people's problem here. It works as well here as it does on NYPD Blue.

The fifth and last complaint is that there are alleged "plot holes". To be honest, many of these questions are answered in the show, but the reviewers didn't pay attention or didn't get far enough. I didn't read an example of a "hole" not really covered by the show. Other plot concerns relate to the difference of this series from the original. One reviewer complains that, in the new BSG, Cylons were made by humans, and rebelled. However, in the original, the Cylons were made by a reptile race, against whom the Cylons rebelled, then arbitrarily tried to wipe out humanity. The reviewer to whom I refer therefore considers the new plot "wrong". But the old series never showed us this reptile race; with the Cylons made by humans, their rebellion is a lot more relevant, especially in a time when we're cloning and working on more advanced computing intelligence. I'd like to point out also that, while Star Trek: The Next Generation was a largely episodic show (where one episode could stand alone and wasn't really related to any other), the new BSG (Ronald Moore was one of the writers on ST:TNG) has an ongoing plot that seems to be coming together.

The new BSG is a show that focuses on the characters in a terrifying conflict. Some complain that the show is soap-opera-ish because there are several relationships among the characters. But honestly - in real life, relationships are everywhere, and this feature in the new BSG only makes it more realistic. In the original, Starbuck was a womanizer, and Apollo was with Jane Seymour's character, then Sheba. There was a council member interested in Commander Adama, and so on. Allegations that the new show is a soap opera are both unrealistic and perhaps forgetful of the old show.

In short, this show is dark, tense, mysterious, and even terrifying at times. It's not a kids' Sci-Fi show. It's not soft-core porn and graphic violence, either. It's Battlestar Galactica for adults, especially for the ones who know the old one. No, it's not exactly the same show.

It's far, far better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Storytelling at its best!, September 21, 2005
As I reflect on the sheer depth of the story that BSG has told thus far, I cannot help but be awed by the simplicity, yet complex nature of it.

I remember reading of the abject hate that was being hurled at Ronald D. Moore when Sci-Fi announced that he was to "reimagine" the beloved, yet short-lived series. Moore was quoted as saying there was great potential in the story. Critics came through the woodwork demanding that he leave well-enough alone.

"Starbuck a woman?" Damn right. Moore has taken several liberties, yet kept a few standards. Gone are the lasers and sword-wielding Cylon drones. They have been replaced by CGI drones with sexy and all-too-human Cylon models that understand humanity all too well. The lasers have been replaced by bullets that only enhance the story in their brutal realism.

Yes, it's about the STORY. Moore has created a story that is rich with religion and history, but most importantly, a revelation of humanity, warts and all. The dialogue is real, the awkwardness is genuine, and the stress of the day-to-day operations of the rag-tag fleet is through the roof.

Season 1, while entirely too short, was a story that deeped the relationships of our beloved characters. Oh, and that "woman Starbuck?" She's easily the best character of the show; a gifted pilot, yet flawed. No one can hold a candle to her. And her deepest wound is on her heart. Her confession to Adama was one of the most profound scenes Season 1 offered.

Yes, there are great special effects. The battle scenes are eye-popping in their realism and brutality. But in the end, it's about the story. Good writing and good storytelling will create a mythos that transcends time and space, and when it's rich in character development and a revelation of the human condition, it becomes something even more. It's deeper than "morality shows." It's far more rich than any political message of current events.

Its heart is centered around faith; faith that humanity will eventually get its collective head out of its ass. But the reality is that deep in the core of the story, there's the understanding that true enlightenment isn't very likely. But the hope is there.

Stories like BSG draw the viewer deep into its heart, and for an hour each week, we feel like we're a part of it. It becomes OUR story. There's a little of Starbuck, Apollo, and yes, even a little bit of Baltar, and God help us, Boomer, in each of us.

Thank you, Mr. Moore. You've enriched my Friday nights. Keep it up!

"So say we all."

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best TV show ever produced, August 16, 2005
I am a huge SciFi fan, my wife, not so much. Even so, she loves this show as much as I do. This is the finest TV show ever produced. Battlestar Galatica is one of those shows that will be remembered for decades.

It's hard to pick a favorite episode from Season One, but if I had to, I say "33", episode one. Picks up after the events of the mini-series and deals with the Cylons finding and attacking the fleet every 33 minutes. From the opening scene to the final scene you are rivited to your seat, breathless and in awe. This is Scifi done right, this is TV done right.

Some of said that Ron Moore (Exec producer) has gone overboard with respect to the "darkness" of this series, but considering the premise how could it not be dark?

Unlike most SciFi, Battlestar prides itself on deep character development, tight plots, realism, and timing. Listening to a Ron Moore Podcast (podcasts are produced for every episode and available at the scifi.com web site.) you can tell this is a man who loves his show and takes tremendous pride in doing the best job he and his crew can muster. Even the actors work as though they understand that what they are doing is different, honest, and important. Yes, important. Sure, its just "TV", but its both relevant and vital to the post 9/11 world.

I watch about 12 hours of TV a week, and Friday night at 10PM is set aside for another great episode. I would be crushed if this show was somehow cancelled. Had I the chance of meeting Ron Moore I would thank him personally for providing me, and millions of others, such a great TV show.

Best Buy is selling Season One on DVD (as other reviewers have pointed out) and its worth the $50 to have the first 13 episodes now, to watch whenever you want. But, that said, this Season One box set is a must-have for any fan of the show. It includes not only the 13-episodes, but also the Mini-Series making it a complete "up to date" collection of BSG-2005.

Season One will make a great gift to any Scifi fan, and especially those who have seen the show. Whether its a gift for yourself, someone else, or even a choice collection for that new DVD player Plasma TV combo, pre-order this today, you won't be sorry.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the BG of your childhood, thank heavens!, August 30, 2005
When I heard there would be a new Battlestar Galactica, I was not sure this would be a great idea.
But Ron Moore was to be at the helm and that convinced me to give the series a chance. Who's Moore? He started out writing the best Star Trek "The Next Generation" episodes of the early years before getting on board the "Deep Space Nine" team. He left the Star Trek family during "Voyager" where he worked as a creative consultant getting frustrated by the direction Paramount adopted for that series. So I knew this series would be well written and intelligent... And it is.
It's not the BG of your childhood. The new series' Adama is not the wise and charismatic patriarch Lorne Green was. Adama is now a troubled commanding officer, a true soldier that believes he must fight. His relationship with Lee Adama, his son (Codename "Apollo") is very strained. "Starbuck" and "Boomer" are both played by women in the new series. Colonel Tai, a forgettable character in the original series, is now more believeable as Adama's executive officer... He is not appreciated by junior officers and has a drinking problem... He is an angry man who can get the job done... The government, almost absent from the original series, is very much present in the new series and the President - an idealistic woman who did not choose this position - is at odds with Adama... Their conflicting views make good drama...
I'm quite certain Moore wanted the characters to be complex. No character is more complex than Baltar... Ridiculous in the original series, Baltar has become a facinating character in the new series. Manipulated by a Cylon to whom he is sexually addicted, or maybe even in love with, the guy is not evil... No good guys and bad guys here... Shades of gray and nuances everywhere. Not your childhood's Battlestar Galactica... Life, sex, problems... Even sprituality - which was ever present in the original series that was piloted by Mormons...
The music is interesting. Powerful and subdued at the same time...
The SFX are excellent once you accept that the tactics they use are close to dogfighting in WW2! Then again, in BG technology is not trusted for obvious reasons... The military look and feel of the series is not that different from that of «Space Above and Beyond», a sc-fi series of the early 90s created by people who would later join Chris Carter's «X-Files»...
Again, this is not your childhood's BG: if the main story remains the same, in its execution, the new series is more compelling and intelligent. This is no longer a "shoot'em up" space opera series... This time, survival is important. Logistics are important. Morale is important... There is the fear of sabotage, fear of dying, fear of losing a loved one... Apparently it took robots to create characters that would really be Human...
You missed it on TV? At this price, the 4 hour pilot and 13 episodes are a steal... And since the original series lasted only a year or so, there is a lot of room to create something entirely new in the coming seasons... Bring them on!

Battlestar Galactica - Season One [HD DVD]
Battlestar Galactica - Season One [HD DVD] by Edward James Olmos (HD DVD - 2007)
$99.98 $6.78