4.0 out of 5 stars Great pot for the price
I use this pot to boil wort for beer making. It was about the most inexpensive stainless steel pot I could find of it's size. I wanted to be able to do full boils and this can boil 8 gallons without boiling over.

Published on October 21, 2008 by CH

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice and heavy, but the rivets leaked.
A good, all around stockpot and water bath canner for those tall bottles and gallon jars that just will not fit in anything else. I suppose it would work great for a turkey fryer, but we purchased it for making stocks, broths, and canning.

Published on December 16, 2008 by Richard Bessert

4.0 out of 5 stars Great pot for the price, October 21, 2008
CH (Stony Brook, NY United States) - See all my reviews

The steel is a bit thin, but I expected this for a pot under $100. Although the walls are thin, I have not no issues with strength or build quality. I feel completely comfortable picking the pot up with 6 gallons of boiling liquid in it. Although heavy, the handles are up to the task and remain cool.

Although there are higher quality pots out there, I don't think you can find another pot at this price at this quality level. I would recommend this pot to anyone looking for a large stock pot and a good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for my homebrew!!!!!!, September 24, 2009
This review is from: Bayou Classic 1044 44-Quart Stainless-Steel Stockpot (Lawn & Patio)
I was worried about the thickness of this pot but I am not worried anymore. It is quite thick and I can pour 7 gallons of homebrew from the pot to the fermenter without any bending. The lid is nice and sturdy and I would definitely buy this again. I bought it for $75 with free shipping from Amazon. You can't beat that deal. The rivet holes for the handles leaked the first time I brewed in it but haven't leaked since then. I have used it for 5 brews and 2 corn roasts. Great pot!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice and heavy, but the rivets leaked., December 16, 2008
Richard Bessert (Central Wisconsin) - See all my reviews

The heavy stainless has not scorched anything yet, as cheaper 'bargain' stockpots tend to do. The lid is impressive and heavy as well.

Would have been a five star purchase, but the rivets holding the handles on leaked on both sides, limiting filling to about two inches below them. This makes the top five inches or so of the stockpot unusable.

An all around good pot, but make sure you check the rivets by filling with water before you put something important inside, ESPECIALLY oil for frying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a 6-gallon bath of homebrew!, November 10, 2009
I used this on the Bayou Classic propane burner and it was a killer combo. I'm so glad I switched to this instead of the old 24-quart on my electric stove. Doesn't even compare. Best part is if you measure properly, you don't need to top off your wort in the fermenter, because this can hold enough initially. Definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brewer's brewpot, June 6, 2010
I bought this pot to boil all-grain full boil worts in beer making. I does this job quite well. This pot holds a full 9 gallons and will boil a 7 or 8 gallon wort easily. All stainless steel with two lifting handles that can handle the weight of the full batch and a vented cover make it ideal for brewing 5 gallon batches either all-grain or from extract. And this pot can go from brewing beer to steaming lobster to large batches of soup. Would recommend this pot for all home brewing needs, especially the all-grain brewer who needs to boil the full batch.

1.0 out of 5 stars Questionable quality control, March 11, 2011
I have had two of these pots. Both have leaked form the same area, about 1 inch up from the bottom. Neither had even been used, simply filled with water and noticed that there was a trickle of water coming from the base of the pot. Returned both to Amazon with no issues.

3.0 out of 5 stars Leaks, leaks and more leaks, July 15, 2013
I purchased this pot since a friend of mine had one and has been using it for a while. I purchased this on May 30th and unfortunately wasn't able to use it until now (July 15th). I saw the reviews so I filled my pot a few days ago and let it sit for an hour and saw no leaks. Great I thought. Today I was going to brew my first 5 gallon batch of beer. I pulled out my burner, added 5 gallons of water to the pot and fired it up. It's a hot day out so I thought it was just condensation forming about 1.5" from the bottom because of the cool (70ish) water. After a closer look I noticed that near the bottom of the pot it was actually dripping. Then I saw another drip from a different spot. Then another spot started to drip. I turned everything off and discovered pitting all around the outside of the bottom of the pot almost like a ring about 1.5" from the bottom. It was like a strainer.

So in the end, I cannot return this since I missed the return window. I will try to smear some jb weld on it to see what happens. Hopefully that will fix the leaking. If anyone has any other ideas on how to fix this, let me know. If not, I guess I am just out of $80. Live and learn?

If you purchase this pot, fill it to the top and put it on your burner. Like I said above, it was fine until I added heat to it.

EDIT 07-15-2013 3:57pm: Just called the customer service department. They asked that I email them a few pictures of the pitting. I received an email back within an hour stating that they were sending me a new pot via UPS and it would be in the mail today. AWESOME customer service. Had to change it to 3 stars just because of that.

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaky Handles - No Joke, February 10, 2011
I bought this pot for home-brewing beer and can say this: When it arrived, I was filling it up one gallon at a time with water to make a measuring stick to accurately measure my gallons. All was great until I was going from 6 to 7 gallons. The water started leaking out of the poorly-constructed handles, on both sides. These are attached with poor-quality pop rivets and cannot handle the task. SO if you want a 9 gallon pot that you can only put 6 gallons of wort/water/oil/sauce in, feel free to use this one. I, however, would like to use a pot to its capacity, not 3 gallons less.

I read the previous "almost killed me" post and figured that it was a quirk. Evidently it wasn't. Lucky for me this was just cool water with the pot sitting on my counter, not oil above a propane burner.

I highly recommend going with a different product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for homebrewing!, May 28, 2009
Though the stainless is a bit thin (not quite sure of the gauge), this 11 gallon pot is quite good/sturdy for homebrewing. I have not had a problem with the rivets leaking, as in the prior post. The vented lid is good, in that it allows the steam pressure to escape, so the lid isn't bobbling up and down. The vent is small enough so you don't lose too much heat, either. Be VERY careful when using lids when homebrewing, of course...you don't want a boil-over.

Though it would be nice if the bottom had an aluminum disc clad between sstainless layers, for better heat distribution, you stil can't beat the price, coupled w/ no tax and free super saver shipping.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great pot for homebrew, July 20, 2010
This is great pot for home-brew (up to 12 Gals batch).
Base and walls are tick. Easy to install a Weldless Valve Kits and thermometer.

Bayou Classic 1044 44-Quart Stainless-Steel Stockpot