5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for turkey, prime rib, or sea food!
Published 20 months ago by A. Litton

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprised...
I needed a turkey fryer pot-only, as I had the burner stand from a smaller 8 quart pan.

Published on December 20, 2011 by crager

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for turkey, prime rib, or sea food!, January 3, 2013
This review is from: Bayou Classic 1118 32-Quart Stainless Steel Turkey Fryer (Lawn & Patio)
This stainless steel cookpot is sturdy, well constructed, and easy to clean. It also comes with a boil basked and a turkey rack. The boil basked could not be better constructed. It fits right inside the cookpot and rests on an internal rim so the base is not sitting on the bottom of the fryer. This allows more even boiling, but you have to remember that you're going to lose the top few inches of space in the basked so be careful not to over fill. I purchased this item in concert with the Bayou Classic SP10 High-Pressure Outdoor Gas Cooker and it couldn't be a better match. Since this is a 32 quart cook pot it won't fit on most cookers that are specifically designed for 30qt pots, so a cooker with a flat burner area is essential.

We broke the cookpot in with a crab boil. Fill the pot with water to the max fill line. Add a couple of packages of Zatarain's Crab Boil, about 3 tablespoons of Old Bay Seasoning, and a couple of onions peeled and halved. Load your basked with about 4 medium sized red potatos (cleaned and quartered) and lower the basket in the water once it's come to a boil. After about 15 minutes add four ears of corn halved and 2 lbs of kielbasa or andouille sausage (I used turkey sausage). After another 10 minutes add 2 lbs of crab legs, 2 lbs of raw shrimp (cleaned and deveined). Cook the seafood for about 5 minutes or until the shrimp are cooked through, then turn off the heat, pull out the basked, and dump the whole mess on a table covered with butcher paper. It will feed about 8-10 people.

Our next excursion was a 10 lb prime rib. This couldn't have been easier. The prime rib came from the butcher with the fat trimed and the ribs removed. It was also pre-rubbed with sage, rosemary, and Italian spices. I used a turkey injector to add some John Henry's marinade and let it sit covered in the fridge for about 5 hours. I then took it out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature for an hour or so before frying. After bringing about 5 gallons of peanut oil to 350dF I adjusted the flame to maintain the temp, put the roast in the basket and carefully lowered it into the pot of oil (I recommend a good pair of welding gloves in case of spatter). Cooking the prime rib at 3 minutes per pound gave the roast a blackend, charred crust, medium well at the ends, rare in the very center, and medium rare for the rest of it. It made for an excellent Christmas roast.

To clean the pot after frying, cover the oil and let it cool down for a day; then pour it off into its original container (you need a good sized funnel for this). Fill the pot up with water and add some dishwashing detergent. Bring the water to a boil and turn down the heat to sustain a good roll. Then dump in the basked and let it boil for a good 30 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the water cool for a few hours. Pour off the dirty water and scrub lightly with a scouring pad. Any burnt on mess should come right off with a little scrubbing and rinsing.

Obviously, with any flame and especially with hot oil, precautions should be taken. The cookpot comes with safety instructions as will the cooker. Follow them. Never bring hot oil above 350dF, always cook in a well ventalated area, not under a cover, and keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case. Never leave a cooker unattended while cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars My only regret is not getting this one first, May 7, 2010
If you're thinking of buying aluminum because it's cheaper, think again. This stainless steel pot will last longer, be MUCH easier to clean and will not retain seafood odor, nor will aluminum leach into your food.

The included basket fits like a glove (unlike my King Kooker aluminum pot, which sold the basket separately), and can also function as a steamer. The rack fits right into the basket for easy storage. I only regret that I bought the other pot first because it was cheaper, but certainly not a better value!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice Pot!!, September 4, 2013
Delores Harris (Brooklyn, NY, US) - See all my reviews
This is a great pot. It comes with a thermometer, triangle hook, the mount for the turkey and a tall basket for frying seafood, etc. I like it because it's sturdy stainless steel and cooked my turkey very well and evenly. No problems at all.

The book says to cook no more than 18 lbs but my turkey was 20 lbs and just the right size. I wouldn't go over 20 lbs. There is also a pre-marked line on the pot that lets you know how much oil you're supposed to pour in. It's very handy and was exactly the amount needed for my 20 lb turkey, even though I did do my own measuring just to make sure.

I used the pot the day before cooking to brine my turkey and it came out flavored beautiful and was very tasty. I covered the turkey with water, added 2 cups of sea salt, a few bay leaves, rosemary sprigs, fresh lemon thyme, whole peppercorns and a half cup of apple cider vinegar. I let it marinade for 4 hours. Just make sure that the turkey is thoroughly dried with paper towels before slowly placing it in the hot oil. Happy Turkey frying!!

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a great pot at an amazing price!, May 5, 2013
I have tried to get a stainless steel pot this size where I live with no luck. When I saw this pot online, I ordered it right away. I previously had an aluminum pot that turned black after the first use and was a pain to clean. This pot takes a couple of minutes to clean after use and looks almost new. I use my pot to fry turkeys, chicken, fish, and to boil seafood. The quality is great and the oil heats up quickly. The only reason why I gave this product a 4 star rating instead of 5 is because the temperature gauge that came with it was defective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, March 13, 2013
I got one for myself and I like it so much I gone one for a gift for my dad as well. I use it for crab boils, steaming crabs, fish fry's, and frying turkeys, and it is great!

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprised..., December 20, 2011

As usual, I did my research in the hope of finding what I wanted (quality at a fair price) and to satisfy the need to fry 7-10 pounds of chicken wings for our Christmas Eve family tradition easier than in my 8 quart pan . Having a stainer was critical for me to allow me to 'stir' the wings while they fried and to pull them out at once when done.

I was close to purchasing an aluminum 30 quart pan with strainer when I found the Bayou Classic 32 quart Stainless Steel fryer. It seemed to have everything I needed (large enough with strainer)and I was 'sold' by other reviews on buying stainless steel versus aluminum.

I just received my purchase today and was 'surprised'. I was initially pleased I made the choice to buy the higher quality stainless steel until I noticed the side of the pot was dented...not to the point of being non-functional, but irratating I paid a premium for this. (the shipping box from Amazon AND the original manufacturer box was NOT damaged, indicating it was packed with an employee possibly knowing the pot was damaged) I was not going to go through the hassle of a return...I need the pot in 4 days.

My other 'surprise' was that after putting in 2 gallons of water in the pot to see how deep the stainer fit in the bottom, I discovered that 2 gallons of water (thus oil) did not even fill into the strainer. The strainer sat on TOP of the water using 2 gallons of fluid. (the strainer rim sits in a recessed lip of the pot keeping it from sitting on bottom of pot) There is probabably a good reason...safety...but one should know that you will need AT LEAST 3-4 gallons of oil to even touch what ever you plan on frying.

The quality of the entire kit seems great, except for the idiot who packed the damaged product. I am very disappointed in the design however, at least for what I needed it for, so I thought I should post this so others have full knowledge of the design and how it limits its uses.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality; Low on Features for the Price, November 25, 2007
I bought the Stainless Steel fry pot because I prefer cooking with SS and it is a stronger metal compared to Aluminum, and cleans better. Same reason why I prefer SS water bottles over lined aluminum water bottles. But, there's a heckuva price premium. I found the pot to be very sturdy and great quality, but three things bothered me somewhat:

1) The thermometer clip that comes with that pot is poorly designed. Once the thermometer is inserted on the lip of the pot, it directs the thermometer at an angle towards the center of the pot. Sure, the temperature reading is more accurate at the center, but this makes it difficult to remove the bird without first pushing the thermometer tip to the side of the pot. You'd rather not try to remove the thermometer as the pot is hot and you could splash the oil.

2) At this price, I would expect some fry baskets, but none were included. Without these, you have to try to fish out small items that you are frying such as fries, mozzarella sticks, etc. It can get hazardous. Prefer not to use the steam basket as a fry basket.

3) I coupled this pot with the BC Single Burner Outdoor Patio Stove, but even with this high BTU burner, it took a little more than 1/3 of my propane tank to heat peanut oil (2/3 full) up to 300F with an outdoor temp of 55F. Thus, with a full propane tank, you might be able to fry one turkey during the fall without changing tanks.

Overall, this pot is better quality than the Aluminum pot, but not really worth the high price, especially since it's not part of a combo pot/burner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good customer service, March 30, 2014
Lynn E. Gibson (Torrance, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Original product had a pin hole leak which I did not see until I was heating with oil. The leak was small enough that I did not notice it when testing for the proper fill level. Customer service replaced the unit with no hassle. Caution: before heating with oil, do a careful leak test. This could have been major fire if I did not see it in time.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!!, December 26, 2013
Already deep frying turkeys with this bad boy. Stainless is the way to go. Excellent quality with this unit. Highly reccomend.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fryer, December 31, 2011
This fryer was more then I expected. The quality was awesome and it does everything you could want out of a large stainless steel pot. I do also use it for brewing beer and it works well with that too. My only little thing I don't like is the darkening of the bottom of the pot. I just on expensive propane burner and my stove and only gets darkened when on fryer. I'm not sure if it's from the fryer or from the pot but the food that comes out of it is awesome.

Bayou Classic 1118 32-Quart Stainless Steel Turkey Fryer