Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 4, 2006 7:53:54 PM PST
Two Sentences..

This book is self-published.
This book does not include references.

Be aware of what influences you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2006 12:22:11 PM PST
Cathy says:
A basic information-finding skill that every child should be taught in school is "Where do you get your information?" Ruby should follow suit.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2007 11:27:18 AM PDT
Diane Israel says:
I am about to go into a 2 (yes TWO) day training session about this book. (I am an educator) After reading some of the reviews, I am not sure what to think!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2007 3:19:38 PM PDT
J. Aspenson says:
I just went to a one-day workshop on Ruby Payne's book and found it to be extremely valuable. I teach in a school of 2500 students, 30% of whom live in poverty. This book was an excellent tool to teach the concept that students living in poverty (especially generational poverty) often live by a different "code" than the middle class. With that said, our public educational system is largely based on the middle class code, which these students may have a hard time fitting into. Payne gives a great overview of the issues that impoverished students MAY be facing, and I don't think her work can be taken as an "all or nothing" view. Obviously, not every person reacts that same way to any given situation. However, Payne's information opened my eyes to the disparities in my classroom, and gave me a great deal of insight into students' behaviors.

Posted on Feb 14, 2010 7:37:15 AM PST
The lack of peer review, respected sources, and the fact that the book is self published as an aid to the authors own seminars does diminish the credibility of the book.

I think that it does add to the discussion of the problems of communicating cross-culturaly.

My fear is that this book will be take by some non-critical thinkers as gospel, further closing some already narrow minds, and reinforcing the middle class bias and sense of entitlement.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2010 5:42:31 PM PST
Be cautious, be cautious, be cautious! The points about her work being self-published are very telling- graduate (and undergraduate for that matter!) students are taught to cite, cite, cite- and NEVER make generalizations, and are also instructed in conducting "empirically based research"! I am not sure how this author missed these "lessons"- This "book" is well accepted because it makes those from the middle class "feel good" about helping all the poor unfortunate (ignorant?) souls in poverty- instead of recognizing and fighting structural level inequalities-
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Nov 4, 2006
Latest post:  Feb 24, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about