5.0 out of 5 stars The 'truth' in three words?
Published on July 11, 2000 by shankarji

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay I've read it.
Published 23 months ago by David Morehouse

5.0 out of 5 stars The 'truth' in three words?, July 11, 2000
This review is from: Be Here Now (Paperback)
I know it's a cliché, but this book changed my life. I read it in 1973 when I was an angst-ridden twenty-something searching for a spiritual direction. I bought the book because I recognised Dr Richard Alpert from his association with Dr Timothy Leary and was curious to hear his post acid-haze spin on spirituality. What I found in the pages of this book planted the seed of a philosophy which has grown in my own consciousness, becoming the foundation for a spiritual life. The first part of the book deals with Dr Alperts spiritual awakening through the grace of his guru and his subsequent metamorphosis into the disciple called Baba Ram Dass. It is an inspiring tale for those not afflicted by cynical preconceptions and it inspired in me the desire to seek out my own guru. The central portion of the book was perfect for the times, when people who had opened the gates of their perception with the aid of psychotropic substances, were looking for more natural means to help keep them open. Using the words and teachings of many different spiritual masters, from Jesus to Ramakrishna, the book uses psychedelic, cartoon-like images to get the message across. And the message is Be Here Now. When I first meditated on the meaning of this exhortation, ten thousand bells began to ring in my mind. Of course! The past is gone, an illusion which exerts all kinds of negative influences on the human psyche. The future is even more illusory, in that it is so transient. It could be years long, or it could be seconds - who knows? Life can only be truly experienced in the present - in the here and now - and if we are to find peace and spiritual freedom, we must first do away with our attachment to the past and the future. This is the central premise of the books teaching and it is a profoundly important teaching. We live so much of our lives in the past or the future, we forget to experience the joy of the moment and in the third part of the book entitled `Cook-book for a Sacred Life', Ram Dass offers the reader some practical techniques. Meditation, yoga, posture, mantra, recipes - there is everything here for the novice spiritual aspirant wishing to bring a sense of sacred-ness into all aspects of his or her daily life. As a young man seeking spiritual knowledge and a pathway towards salvation, the rituals, techniques and teachings expounded in this book brought a magic to each day and a kind of unseen connection with Ram Dass and his other readers. Be Here Now was a vital component of my spiritual awakening and I would like to address my words to any open-minded person looking to tread the rock-strewn road towards self-knowledge, compassion and spiritual illumination. Read this book now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Introduction to Places Your Mind Needs to Go, March 7, 2002
This review is from: Be Here Now (Paperback)
I picked up this book about 8 years ago for the first time and as I was reading it I felt as if my mind was being [pulled] in the pages. I have bought it 3 separate times but always feel compelled to give it away to someone who I feel could benefit from the wisdom inside.
This book comes in 3 parts...the first part is an account of the author's pre "Ram Dass" life as a PhD and scholar....then to make a long story short, he did some psychedelic drugs, and discovered that he actually liked what was inside his mind and wanted to try to find a way to live in "the now" without the drug experience attached. His journey took him to finding a guru..interesting stuff but then to my favorite part of the book:
the middle....this is a brown paper rambling section full of rich artwork, roughly drawn cartoons, biblical and buddhist references, and what I found to be great truths....all about what it means to "be here now."
While some of it is overly simplistic, and some of it is gratuitous reference to organized religion, most of it is just an alternative way of thinking about yourself, your problems, lifestyle, and family issues. What I took away from this book was a renewed sense of self awareness and it even made me realize that different is not bad, its just different. I guess I was at the point in time in my life where I needed that insight into my own behaviors and thought processing capabilities. In any event, it OPENED MY EYES!!! It made me look at everything differently, and almost instantaneously changed my perception of the world and others in it.
The third part, which is called something like "cookbook for a sacred life" really gets into the practice of buddhism and meditation, which was not the route I chose to go with my life...but in any case, a great and interesting read for anyone interestied in gaining valuable insight into the mystery of their life and life in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE MOST AMAZING BOOK, January 16, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Be Here Now (Paperback)
AS A 16 YEAR OLD IN CANADA AND GROWING UP IN A VERY RELIGIOUS HOME, THIS WAS THE BOOK THAT HAS OPENED MY EYES. " THERE IS THE ANSWER.... AND IT WAS INSIDE ME ALL ALONG!!". I'M READING IT FOR THE 5TH THIME, BECAUSE ONCE, TWICE, FIFTY TIMES IS NEVER ENOUGH!! THIS BOOK JUST OPENS, OPENS, OPENS AGAIN YOUR SOUL, MIND AND BODY..... VERY CAPTIVATING, VERY TRUSTING..... VERY LOVELY. WORDS CAN'T EXPRESS MY LOVE FOR THIS BOOK.... AND FOR A TEENAGER (we get confused, we get upset, we need advice, and we need to know!) THIS BOOK IS THE ONE TO READ....THIS BOOK IS AMAZING.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone, October 31, 2010
This review is from: Be Here Now (Paperback)
The experience of being human will be different for everyone. Not everyone can be expected to like the material within. In my younger days I absolutely loved the message and was very in to focusing my attention on this and similar works for personal development. I no longer use it as a point of focus, but only because I have changed personally. Maybe it will have importance that will bring it back in to focus later.

This book is highly illustrated. The pictures inside help form the ideas that are being communicated. They are very much in a style that would remind most of late-1960s hippie art; however, when you give the pictures some consideration you can also see that they are basically just natural recurring forms and symbols that have been in long use.

I still enjoy the winding prose contained in the pages. It is fun to pick up on occasion and just pick a page to read. At this point in my life I like it purely for its ability to give me a smile and a chuckle; although, I am certain there are still modern readers who would be able to get a more spiritual trip out of it if that is what they are looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars the way, September 6, 2001
Caroline (Connecticut, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Be Here Now (Paperback)
i read this book a couple of years ago.i cannot describe the change which has occurred in me since reading it. i am now a vegetarian,and i am living *the way*. after reading some others' reviews of this book, I was initially hurt & offended by the negative reactions. then i realized that the person who was disappointed by the book must have had some expectations from it. this is natural; however; Baba Ram Dass does not proclaim to write of the "truth". From a spiritual prospective;this is not a book which teaches *truth*. this is a book which causes one to look within oneself, and recognize the truths in everyday events. and again; one cannot say one is done with ones caterpillarness and is now ready to be a butterfly..one just becomes. the moment you give it up you can have it ALL. anyone who opens these pages with an intent to become "realized" or "aware" will be sadly disappointed, for the knowledge is conveyed so subtlely that one can NEVER see what one is not ready to see. an important thing to note before making the decision to live the "right" way...you cannot go back. once you SEE, once you SEE the right way vs. the wrong way...you are responsible for choosing the right path. and only you know if you are living the right way. this book was the start of a beautiful and eternal path I've chosen to make every day matter, and to really live in the Here and Now. this is not to say there will not be hang-ups...that there will not be obstacles. the old saying goes, "the higher you get, the harder you fall" and this is true...but through the suffering, comes enlightenment. i welcome anyone's thoughts on this...i welcome a global realization of these ideas...but i recognize that we can all move only as fast as our slowest link. so, *help everyone*. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sustainable transformation - then and now, October 4, 2005
This review is from: Be Here Now (Paperback)
Maharaji, Ram Dass's guru, said this book was his "Ashirabad" or blessing. The ripple effect of this singular work has likely created greater modern acceptance of yoga & meditation in the West than any other.

Clearly a product of its era, "Be Here Now" combines Alpert's metamorphosis into Ram Dass, a free-wheeling survey on the possibilities of transformation, and a cookbook outlining sustainable methodologies dating back thousands of years, which are just as effective today when applied correctly.

Despite the cynicism of our consumer culture, there is such a thing as "perfect timing", as well as the reality - more familiar in the East - of the "Guru's Grace". As a seminal work that has inspired millions, "Be Here Now" stands the test of time as a classic example of both.

5.0 out of 5 stars An immense sacred gift to us all..., November 22, 2011
This review is from: Be Here Now (Paperback)
This book was given to me by a coworker who couldn't make heads or tails of it and told me to keep it. I opened it to the first 'brown paper sack' page and started reading and tears came to my eyes and I realized that I was holding something very sacred. I only comprehended about 10% of what was said but I knew in my heart that here were answers to questions I had not even thought about.... yet... Unifying the messages from many traditions, he addresses our lives and minds with knowledge and wisdom like I had never heard before... I had grown up in the Bible belt and thought I knew everything I needed to know about God, good, evil, Jesus, and then I read this and realized that I really knew nothing at all... now 36 years later I am a Buddhapalian (practicing buddhist and Episcopalian) with many years of study in both traditions and as I read it for the umpteenth time I still smile at some new gem that comes out of the page at me and nod my head.... No matter where you are on your spiritual journey, pick this book up and read it... and over time I am sure you will agree that it is an immense sacred gift to us all...

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay I've read it., January 24, 2013
Obviously a very popular and epic book; in my opinion, not so much because of what it offers in the way of spiritual understanding, but more that it is the book that launched the career and life of one of the 20th century gurus. I am positively focused toward that era, and, I am constantly looking for any insight into the meaning of life I might find. I know he is considered a spiritual powerhouse, and I thought the book might awaken me. Perhaps my expectations were too high, or perhaps I am just not inspired by this particular path. It may be that I am not attuned to the delivery of the message; for whatever reason, the pages left me wanting.

The book is well written, it is dated in its format and message, but anyone reading it should know that going in. As I said, it is considered an epic work, by a spiritual powerhouse. If you have interest in this particular message, and messenger, then I believe it is important to begin here. However, his later works are more refined and focused to the age we now find ourselves in.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Hail The Goer" ~ Caution, Paradigm Shift In Progress!, May 25, 2006
This review is from: Be Here Now (Paperback)
Goodbye Dr. Richard Alpert, Harvard Psychology professor. Hello Baba Ram Dass, Hindu spiritual seeker and devotee of the great monkey-God Hanuman!

'Be Here Now' was a phenomenon born out of the sixties counter culture movement and became "the book" that turned the spiritual consciousness of the Christian West eastwards, thus altering the metaphysical landscape forever. Not only were the ideas within this 416 page softcover book made of recycled materials a shock to the religious nervous system of the American mainstream, but the very format was a mystery all its own. Part autobiography, part Occidental psychology, part hippie philosophy, part Indian mysticism, part comic book, one was left to wonder if the text was meant to be read in the conventional manner, or somehow absorbed by simply chanting the contents out loud.

Truly a piece of 20th century American spiritual history that should be experienced by all. PARADIGM SHIFT ANYONE?

5.0 out of 5 stars REALLY out there but . ., September 29, 2000
Brent Mekosh (New York, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Be Here Now (Paperback)
I first picked up this book about two years ago. Since that time, the tale of how Richard Alpert Ph.D. became Ram Dass has become one of my favorite works. Is it on the fringe? Well, that depends on your perspective. Your enjoyment of this book will be proportional to your acceptance of different viewpoints on life. If you don't want your ideas about life challenged, then don't read this book. However, if you believe that the purpose of reading is to get you thinking, then there is perhaps no better book then "Be Here Now". If you are up for a good internal debate, pick it up and read on.

Be Here Now
Be Here Now by Ram Dass (Paperback - October 12, 1978)
$15.15 $8.56