Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Format: Audio CDChange

Deb Talan and Steve Tannen have been playing a delightful brand of folk-pop since 2001, when they met in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Today they're married, have two young sons, and live in Southern California. Apparently their family life is every bit as filled with joy as the sunny, low-key, occasionally pensive, irresistably melodic tunes they create in their home studio.

For their fifth album, "Be My Thrill," the duo writes and sings about love: of each other, of children, of dancing, of first love, of lost love, of the moments in life that you treasure. The songs are kid-friendly and are packed with hooks and sublime harmonies. Life is good.

If relentlessly cheerful people get on your nerves, The Weepies are not for you. But if you're down and need a lift, these songs will bring you up. For me at least, the Weepies have a warm and fuzzy effect that is antithetical to the one their name suggests.

You can listen to the full album and watch several music videos by The Weepies on their Amazon home page. Just click on their name at the top of the product page. Their songs and videos appear at the right side of the next page.
55 comments22 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2010
I feel somewhat guilty about saying anything negative about the music of these obviously honest and sincere people. I gave five stars to Hideaway, which I feel is as brilliantly written, performed, and produced as anything I've heard in the folk/pop genre in years. Deb Talan's voice is beguiling and many of her, and to a lesser extent Steve Tannen's, songs are gems. Unfortunately, Be My Thrill misses the high bar of both that album and it's predecessor, Say I Am You . Nothing here is either musically or lyrically as penetrating as anything on Hideaway. No clever wordplay as in 'Antarctica', or as joyous as `All This Beauty', or as emotionally stirring as `How You Survived The War'.
Many of Be My Thrill's lyrics seem like two dimensional throwaways. Songs such as`Add My Effort' and `Be My Honeypie' border on embarrassing. And where are the wonderful, melodic and unorthodox harmonies that made Hideaway so unique?

But hey, admonishments aside, the music is fun and I'm glad they seem happy. Maybe this time that's enough.
0Comment18 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 7, 2010
Perhaps not as good as their previous two albums (which were both wonderful!), but still containing quite a few gems. Good stuff.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon September 8, 2010
BE MY THRILL is another nice offering from THE WEEPIES. Their tunes have showed up in my playlists for a few years now, so I downloaded this new album with high expectations. I was not disappointed, for the most part. The song HOW DO YOU GET HIGH? really did not do it for me. In fact that's why I didn't award 5 stars for the album. HOW DO YOU GET HIGH? was, in my opinion, a complete bomb. The track EMPTY YOUR HANDS was also weak. Most of the other tracks are, however, in the vein of earlier Weepies tunes. They were able to retain that fresh sound, though it lagged a bit on the tracks I mentioned above.

All in all I have to say that I'm glad I bought the album, though I will definitely be skipping a couple of tracks when I load this album onto my iPod.

If you have been a fan of The Weepies in the past, you will like this album. But, if you are new to The Weepies I recommend that you start with their album HIDEAWAY. That's my favorite. I'd then move on to SAY I AM YOU, it's the next best. Then if you are still interested, come back to BE MY THRILL.

Well, that's my 2-cents' worth.

Still liking THE WEEPIES!

4 stars.
on October 12, 2010
I just saw the Weepies show at the El Rey. It was very interesting to hear the set of songs live first then take home the CD and give it a spin. It's kind of like reading the book before seeing the movie. Songs like "How Do You Get High" that are getting panned here rocked the house last night. That song just does not sound the same on the CD (The back story on the track is how Steve is kept so busy being a Dad that he doesn't have much time for anything else). It's just badly produced and mixed here. Believe me, they can rock hard when they want to. "They're In Love, Where Am I" was heart breaking live, on the CD it sounds like just another sweet little song, which it is, but Talan's live delivery was startling. The writing here is weaker than on previous releases, there is just no getting around that. The seamless continuity that marked other releases is absent on "Be My Thrill". There are some winners here but the hooks take time. Also, I think that they have out grown their living room and a need to hit the studio. Ryan Freeland's mix is just plain terrible. Listen to "Not a Lullaby" for proof of this. Deb's nuanced vocals are kaput on nearly every track. Squeeky guitars, muddy production mar several tracks. Every runner stumbles, it's Steve and Deb's turn. I look forward to their next CD. I still love em'.
33 comments3 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2010
The Weepies certainly have a signature sound, and Be My Thrill sticks to the formula established with their earlier releases. The risk: a signature sound begins to repeat its own history, cover its own territory. While earlier releases blended warm voices/harmonies with songwriting that included structural and unexpected surprises, Be My Thrill has less twists and turns. Deb Talan and Steve Tannen's lush harmonies remain intact here (still firmly amidst Contemporary Folk and Mellow Rock), while song structures are less intricate, perhaps more pop-oriented. Pleasing, soothing and relaxing, yes, and the album stands on its own. But slight hints of cute, bubblegum-pop melodies induce occasional levels of unease.

GENRES: Contemporary Folk, Mellow Rock.

BUY IF YOU LIKE: Professor & Maryann, Dar Williams, Shawn Colvin.

MUST HEAR TRACKS: "Please Speak Well Of Me," "I Was Made For Sunny Days," "Hummingbird," "Empty Your Hands."
on October 11, 2011
It's The Weepies, so I have few, if any, negative things to say about their music. But I can say that I prefer their other albums to this one. That being said, songs like "Be My Honeypie" and "Hummingbird" are why I love this group so much. They just don't write bad songs (perhaps with the exception of the head-scratching "How Do You Get High" - that track just doesn't belong). Be My Thrill isn't their best, but it's definitely worth a listen. You're sure to find 4 or 5 tracks you'll absolutely adore.
on September 8, 2010
Upon first listen, not my favorite effort from The Weepies... but slowly the songs start to dig their hooks into you. There are a couple songs that just don't quite fit the cd (or the band, for that matter). "How Do You Get High" sounds like a Robert Palmer reject. But nothing overstays its welcome here, which is part of the beauty of The Weepies, and most of the album is thoroughly enjoyable. Favorite track? I think "Hard to Please" is already a classic.
on September 15, 2010
Another great effort from The Weepies!!!!! Everyone keeps talking about their other albums, for those not so fortunate to have heard their other albums just want to remind everyone not to forget "Happiness" Their first classic. A wonderful musical duo that I am glad I first heard on My Space and have loved ever since. Can't wait to see them in Minneapolis.
on November 8, 2010
I too love all The Weepies albums. I like the variety on this one, and if it's a little more hook-laden than some of their material, those are very appealing
hooks. There're nice subtle little variations here that differentiate from their other work, plus a little more percussive aspect, and the great Meg Tooey (underrated in general) doing more, and different electric guitar stuff a bit new. In general, I like Deb's Talen's songs a bit more, but Steve Tannen's keep growing on me-- and true of this one too as I've listened. It's true it's maybe a more 'up' album overall than some, but ballads like 'Where Am I?' are also touching and appealing, and I love Tallen's
voice on those as well as her coy deadpan on ones like the title song. Like somewhat similar male/female duo Swan Dive, The Weepies do pop songs with some folk
elements that make me feel good and appeal, without being sugarcoated and dumb-- and if not steeped in irony/cynicism/despair like so much pop/rock music these days, so what? That's worth a lot-- one of my favorite groups and another winner album.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse