Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Be Prepared
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 13, 2006
At first glance, Be Prepared looks like it might be a joke book. The bright yellow handbook format cover shows a child in a backpack strapped onto a smiling, manly fellow in a lumberjack shirt. Front backpack straps replace the man's suspenders, baby bottle, rattles and other toys are at his waist, toolbelt style, and a pacifier dangles from a strap in his fingers. It captures attention.

Likewise, the inside of the book captures attention with well designed layout and graphics. Readers recognize the content, presented with abundant wit and style, is playful but not a joke. This is a creative, purposeful production with solid, helpful information delivered in fun, maybe over-the-top, masculine terms, but quite real.

With useful, pithy information in easily assimilated chunks, and a fun filled, `can-do/here's how', unsentimental attitude, this nuts-and- bolts manual attracts expectant and new dads the way their beloved Worst-Case Scenario books used to, but with more usable material that really will help prepare them for parenting, appreciate their baby, and boost their confidence. Dads who know how to care for their infants are more likely to participate in care and strengthen parent-child attachment from the start. This interesting book imparts the preparatory knowledge well indeed.

It is organized in five general sections by age, from newborn to one year, with basic information about normal development and needs, and appropriate fatherly responsibilities and skills. Mindful, entertaining, diagrammed instructions for hundreds of such necessities as diapering, stimulating, soothing, bathing, swaddling, burping, reading Sports Illustrated with the baby, and recognizing types of crying, are laid out with humor and a decidedly masculine slant:

" Place one of your large outdoor trash cans under the window of the baby's room . (If you live in the city, you can hang a bag from the rail of your fire escape.) Each time you get a dirty diaper, simply open the window and throw down a long range jumper; Once a day, you can go out and collect the air balls, but don't be surprised how fast you'll get the rhythm down. . . "

" . . Studies have shown that the most effective rocking mimics the mother's walking pattern, which is approximately sixty rocks a minute. . . try reggae music. The beat is solid and steady, and it's got a natural buoyancy that will complement your rocking. And best of all, most reggae music cycles at around sixty to seventy beats per minute, tailor-made to your baby's needs. (Bob Marley's Buffalo Soldier is almost a perfect sixty b.p.m.."

WIthout being simplistic, this creative book actually will help dads get their parenting rhythm down, and will appeal to many men who otherwise would not read a book for new fathers. It's a good start.

Authors Greenberg, a comedian, and Hayden,an illustrator/graphic designer, are parents of a daughter.
55 comments|168 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon April 24, 2007
This book isn't meant to be the be-all, end-all of new parent books, but if you're a new dad and are a bit overwhelmed by a) fatherhood and b) all the BOOKS about parenting, this is a great book to get. It's got great retro artwork, a loose style, a sense of humor (something you don't see much in parenting books), and (mostly) very sound advice and information, from what your brand new baby will REALLY look like to how to keep your almost-one-year-old entertained on an airplane....

My kid just turned a year old and I implemented many of the bits of advice I found in this book. It was well supplemented by "The New Father" and by "What's Going on in There?", making a trio of books that runs the gamut from theory to practice, from micro to macro. This book ended up as a well-thumbed bathroom reader after I finished it.

By the way, the website for this book has some activities: listen to the sound of a baby crying for several minutes (to help you acclimate if, perhaps, you're still "expecting"), dad exercises and more.
77 comments|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 4, 2005
I thought I would write and let you know that I love your book. My wife hasn't yet delivered, but she will any day now. When she first found out that she was pregnant she dragged me to the bookstore and told me that I needed to pick out a book that would help me with this baby. She picked out a long boring book written by some doctor somewhere, and I luckily found your book. I have already read through it 2 1/2 times since I bought it, and I will probably read it again! It's one of the funniest books I've read, and it gives me so much information that for once my wife thinks I'm intelligent! I just wanted to say thanks for writing such a great book for guys like me who the last thing they want to read about is all the stuff about babies. After reading your book, I feel like I might make it through this!
on November 27, 2006
We just had our first baby last week. I picked this book up a couple of days ago and have been reading in short burst (as the book was designed for) with a book in one hand and a sleeping baby in the other.

The content is fun; engaging to read for both parents. It also does a great job of zoning in on the "important" stuff that new dads want to know, rather than hundreds of pages that are great info, but simply would never get read by most new parents during their haze of sleep deprevation.

5 well deserved stars.
on March 5, 2005
I'm a new mother, fully equipped with the requisite stack of new-mother books. And you know what? I've gotten more useful information out of this one book of my husband's than any of those. In between the duct-tape diapers and taking the baby to happy hour, there's a lot of good common sense here.

Plus, unlike the "humorous" books targeted toward women, this one is actually funny.
on April 6, 2005
All the other reviews have pretty much covered it -- this book is hilarious, kitschy, easy to read, and so incredibly practical. My husband loves it, and it's great for moms, too. This book just gets right down to the meat of the matter -- how to care for a baby, how to solve problems, how to be a supportive partner.
on March 2, 2006
It has humor and really great information. If your Guy won't read any other book, at the very least get him this one. I have bought it for 3 of my buddies, and they have all loved it.

Cheers,

Computer Dude.
on June 1, 2016
This is the second time I have purchased this book. I got it a few years ago for my husband for our first baby. He loved it. He said it was the right balance of practical stuff with humor thrown in there. So this time around I gave it as a gift for a dad-to-be. I hear from the mother-to-be all the time about him telling her quotes out of the book, and how much he is enjoying the book, and she said that she got him others and never really could get into/read them. So I would recommend this book to any Dad's-to-be!
on September 27, 2012
I purchased this book recently for my husband; we are first time parents. I was a little nervous as to how he would respond to the purchase (would he be insulted or what if he didn't read it, would I be insulted?!) but the reviews were so good that I decided to take the plunge.

Well let me tell you this book has been great. I noticed my husband picked it up the first night, no doubt due to the funny cartoonish cover (read: unassuming). Since then I'm honestly wondering if I should read it myself as the tips are no nonsense, funny and and insightful. In fact, I'm starting to think he may know more about changing a diaper than I do!

One thing I want to specifically mention is that the book is really good about explaining how insane us gals can be around this time. I'm still pregnant and I am feeling the mood swings wash over me like Saturday's laundry! I can't imagine what it's going to be like after the baby has arrived. But with this book under his wing, I have no doubt that my guy will be able to face each crisis with ease.

Overall, great topics are covered in just such a way that men can relate to it. Highly recommended.
on December 16, 2015
Great book! The illustrations are fun, the advice is humorous but also really down to earth and useful. I bought this for my husband because he had no interest in reading my books about babies, and he really enjoyed it. He picked up some tips that I hadn't, and I think it helped him approach parenting more confidently. I'd give this book as a gift to any male friend of mine about to have a baby.