5.0 out of 5 stars Mochizuki Does it Again
Published on November 28, 2007 by John Spiers

1.0 out of 5 stars "Be Water..." doesn't hold water
I do not believe this book is endorsed by the Bruce Lee Foundation.
I believe this not only because the book obviously does not state any endorsement from Bruce Lee's family (both here in the U.S. and China) but largely because of all the inaccuracies.
Published on October 19, 2007 by Seattle Samurai

1.0 out of 5 stars "Be Water..." doesn't hold water, October 19, 2007
This review is from: Be Water, My Friend: The Early Years of Bruce Lee (Hardcover)
I do not believe this book is endorsed by the Bruce Lee Foundation.
What is disappointing is any person who is even remotely familiar with Bruce Lee will see the drawings in this book are blatent reworkings of still shots from Bruce's films as an adult and inaccurately placed as his childhood years.
The final insult is drawings reworked to show inaccurate martial arts positions.
Bottom line is this thin 16 pg. book is just reworkings with a few lines that might quickly bore any adult and child of any age.
Recommendation - save your money and find a real bio with actual photos of Bruce Lee.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mom's summer reader for her kids review, August 10, 2012
Hi, I read this book with my two children; ages 12 and 10. This book wasn't written very exciting, but nonetheless, my children enjoyed it. I think they enjoyed all of us reading it, passing it around and talking about it.

My son is a HUGE Bruce Lee fan. We will read many more Bruce Lee Biography-style books. This book was written where my two children (12 yr. old being a struggling reader) could read it with little difficulty. The topic was easy to understand. I felt it was a nice book to discuss.

I'd rate it a 2. There were two parts I didn't like: It jumped to present to 4 years ahead of time. It talks about Kung Fu, and then it has a page that immediately talks about "boxing" with no prelude to it. (Kind of confusing. Thought I dozed off, but re-read the previous part, and no, it just jumps into boxing for no apparent reason.

Both my children rated it a 3.

It took about 3 days; 1 hr. pr day, which included discussion and some writing samples.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mochizuki Does it Again, November 28, 2007
John Spiers (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
Ken Mochizuki has built a reputation over the years writing books that encourage and inspire. In this children's book, Mochizuki introduces the ideas of Bruce Lee, especially how hard work and focus pay off, especially for something of a misfit youth. The book makes no effort to teach Lee's fighting style, and Mochizuki's colloborator Dom Lee's illustrations are age-appropriate, and will delight a child reading along with an adult at bedtime.

John Spiers

Be Water, My Friend: The Early Years of Bruce Lee
Be Water, My Friend: The Early Years of Bruce Lee by Ken Mochizuki (Hardcover - September 1, 2006)
$16.95 $15.26