Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Format: Audio CD|Change

on January 27, 2005
I have never written a review on music, but I felt the need to write about this CD. A clear mind can see through the negativity written on this site about this CD: "Kenny..grow up" (why not live young!) "It's all about the Islands" (jealous he lives there? I'd be there too if I could!) "It's all about drinking" (not on all songs if you listen to them, and besides, froffy drinks go with island hopping) "Sounds like Jimmy Buffett". (what, Buffett is the only person allowed to sing or has ever sung about the islands? Besides, I love Jimmy Buffett and no one could ever encroach upon his talent.) I think we could lighten up and enjoy misic for what it is, entertainment.
Kenny Chesney has created for us something different and I applaud diversity. I have all Kenny Chesney's work, and have loved it all (with some exceptions of his earliest albums).
It was easy to pick my favorites from each album of Kenny's, but Be As You Are is so filled with great music I cannot choose a favorite song. It is such a pleasure to listen to, so relaxing and fun. The "islands" music reminds me of Henry Kapono which is another of my favorite artists.
Treat yourself to some island music. It is great listening here in late January where all we wait for is to be outside without heavy coats on our backs. I know too that I'll continue listening to this CD during the summer just to enhance the atmosphere.
Finally, my life is enduring a lot of stress right now, and each time I put this CD on the home stereo, the boom box at work, and in the car, the stress is carried away with the warm island breezes. My kids sing along with "Key Lime Pie". The next best thing is being there. For that I Thank You Kenny!
on June 4, 2005
I'm a collector of ALL of Kenny's music, and because of his talent and wonderful voice, I LOVE just about everything he sings. This one's definitely different, but who says just because Kenny's a "country guy at heart" that he can't add an island twist?

I appreciate the creativity of music in general, but other popular genres (especially, pop, rap, hip-hop), tend to place too much emphasis on sex, violence and negativity. It is so refreshing to hear someone consistently focus on the positive aspects of life and reflect on the past with fond recollections instead of with anger and ugliness. Kenny's music always makes me smile! Even his bittersweet songs are heartwarming.

I've done a lot of traveling to tropical islands and can honestly say that this particular CD gives you the feeling that you are actually there! Who doesn't like Guitars, Tiki Bars and a Whole Lot of Love? Or how about Soul of a Sailor?

Thumbs up to anyone who can leave you humming to yourself about Key Lime Pie!!! Just keep listening, it grows on you!

And for all you critics who say that this is "not the Kenny that they fell in love with".....the way I see it there's even more of him to love! He's great at expressing his apparent multi-faceted interests! Keep it coming, Kenny!
on January 28, 2005
This CD will be in rotation on my CD player forever. Didn't really know what to expect, since I missed both playings of the CMT Special, but Kenny delivers.

If you (1) love the ocean (2) love the beach lifestyle (3) have spent time on a boat (4) spent time in Key West or (5) just like to hear really good stories told in song, then, RUN to the store or do the 1-Touch Order thing here at amazon and GET THIS CD.

After a day of listening, my favorites are #7 SOMETHING SEXY ABOUT THE RAIN and #11 MAGIC. Put either one of them on, grab your significant other and pretend you're dancing on the warm sand at sunset, even if you're really moving around on cold Spanish tile in your own land-locked den!

KEY LIME PIE is a cute ditty. Loved it. Will be singing the chorus for a long time. SOUL OF A SAILOR harkens to Jimmy Buffett's early days. GUITARS AND TIKI BARS will get radio play, to be sure. "Guitars and tiki bars and a whole lot of love."

The liner notes explain Kenny's love of the ocean. He really opens up about the pull of the sea and it feels so real.

Well done, Kenny. Well done.
on February 20, 2006
Having read many reviews on this site, I was hesitant to buy this CD. After finally having bought it and listened to it, I found that most reviews on this site were off-base.

Any person that has the depth to understand where Chesney was at this time in his life and/or has been in a similar situation will like this album. I will grant that The Road and the Radio and When the Sun Goes Down have more of a country feel to them and have more hits, I do, however, feel that he has not recorded a better song than Somewhere in the Sun.

This will be a good purchase to those who like Chesney's music. He, like many, continue to grow in there lives and this album is an example of that.
on February 25, 2005
I did not know Kenny Chesney fell in the same category as Jimmy Buffett. Im not sure what you call the category but Im a Boat Captain and my buds at the dock call Buffett's music Boat Music and it has a very loyal following. This CD by Kenny Chesney is Fantastic, and has become or even surpassed Jimmy Buffet as my Favorite cruising, boat, Island music CD. Kenny captured the feeling, being up in the flybridge listening to this CD is just indescribable. There are very few CD's you can listen to over and over again and not get tired listening to but this is one of them!! I've got a couple thousand sea miles on this CD and it still sounds fresh and new every time I hear it. If you ever spent any time around boats or ventured to the islands and meet the variety of people you meet on these journeys this CD hits home and is right on time and on target. If a song brings back memories, this Album makes you think Kenny has been with your through all your travels....Just Great! Just a great CD, THANKS KENNY!!Keep em coming because you are developing a great following, just like Jimmy Buffett! Understand, this is not a country CD in the traditional way. If your looking for a "your dog got run over and your granddad got busted for making moonshine" CD this is not it. But if you want to smile, want an escape, are taking a vacation or better yet, taking the Helm of a boat and want to relax and love life!, this is your CD!! It's so relevant, anyone can relate to the music. It's so good, Im thinking about naming my boat "Be As You Are"! Get this CD and if you don't like, look around Highlands, NJ for a boat named "Be As You Are" and I will give you a free NYC tour! You will listen to this CD on the trip and by the end you will have changed you mind! Thanks again Kenny! Keep up the good work and keep this type of music coming!!!!!! Sincerely, Capt. Martin
on March 18, 2013
I have recently starting listening to Kenny Chesney. His music reminds me some of another artist that sings about boats, oceans and drinking, Jimmy Buffett. They deliver their music in a different way, but both tell stories of life living on boats or by the ocean, and having the past time of drinknig. With a past job I had I spent a lot of time in Florida, so I came to love the water and watching boats, so I have a love for both. Oh and I have had a couple of drinks along the way. I still hope to relocate in the next few years to be close to the water, not saying I will have a boat, but it would be nice to be able to watch them and sip on a crown or makers mark over some ice.
VINE VOICEon August 28, 2012
I was a big fan of Kenny's Lucky Old Sun album. I love the steel drums and island rhythms. Some of the songs on Be as You Are have that same feel. It's like lying in a hammock listening to the ocean breeze - relaxing and fun - an escape. I'm not sure what happened unless he just ran out of materital and started adding silly stuff but some of the songs just don't fit. I really don't like the Key Lime Pie song at all and French Kissing Life is pretty silly. A couple of really wonderful songs on this album are Something Sexy About the Rain and Be As You Are. Kenny Chesney has one of the best voices in country music and his love of the ocean and the islands is evident. This CD is good but I don't think I'd buy the whole thing again. I'd just pick the best songs for download. "He taught me how and he's still why there's something sexy bout the rain." Love you Kenny.
on June 18, 2013
Kenny's Island love really begins to emerge here. "Be As You Are" (the song) is such good advice for us all. Lose the pretense, relax, just be you. His "Old Blue Chair" will show up on later CD's and is a symbol of his "Island Boy" side. This CD is fun and original. His liner notes are really interesting and show us why the tropics mean so much to him and how a country boy from East Tennesee became so enamoured of the sea and it's slowed-down life style. A real good CD.
on March 14, 2014
When Kenny came on the scene nobody really knew what to expect. After his first platinum record I think he thought that he finally figured it out. The girls went crazy for him and still do. He has a great voice and never gives up. I really like his music.
on May 12, 2014
I bought Kenny Chesney's music because an author I like kept referring to his songs in her book, and have become a huge fan. I've been listening to this in my car for weeks, and am not tired of it yet!