"...Handlin has provided as clear a roadmap to petitioning the powers that be as a Rand-McNally atlas...Her book is more than a guide -- it is a toolkit for repairing and renovating democracy." --New York Journal of Books 10/10/2010
"I highly recommend this helpful and informative book to anyone in small business or nonprofit organizations who is seeking a reliable guide to achieving success in lobbying government officials." --Blog Business World 12/7/10
"This unique how-to guide should be tremendously useful to any small business owner who wants to influence state or local government officials but cannot afford to engage professional lobbyists...Highly recommended." --Choice, Jan. 2011
• Explains the fundamentals of business lobbying: targeting the right official, choosing the best tools, and crafting a compelling message
• Shows why some lobbying efforts get results while others get ignored
• Compares the strengths and weaknesses of different communication tools: letters, emails, phone calls, petitions, in-person meetings, and more
• Offers step-by-step illustrations of how readers can apply what they learn to specific, common challenges
• Real-world advocacy examples
• Tip sheets, including "How to Work a Public Meeting," "Setting Expectations for Your Lobbying Effort," and "Don't Waste Your Money"
• "For Example" sidebars, such as "Time-Wasters and Turnoffs" and "The 5 Biggest Mistakes"
• "You Try It" exercises
• Model advocacy materials, including letters, emails, scripts, testimony, press releases, and more
• Sample laws, policies, and forms
• A "Learn the Language" glossary decoding some of the key jargon used in local and state government
• Resource guides for small businesses seeking government contracts
"…a must-read for anyone who wants to seek a zoning variance, block a local ordinance, change a state law or otherwise make his or her voice heard in the halls of political power."
Crain's New York Business
"… this unique how-to guide should be tremendously useful to any small business owner who wants to influence state or local government officials but cannot afford to engage professional lobbyists. … Highly recommended. Collections serving practitioners or potential entrepreneurs."
"Author Amy Handlin shows you how to contact and educate your local and state elected officials so you can enlist their support. Using the simple formula of 'target, tools and tactics,' she shows business owners -or anyone who needs to lobby-the best ways to reach lawmakers."