5.0 out of 5 stars A Slacker Mom's dream
I love this gadget. Compact, all-in-one, easy to use, FOOL PROOF, and ... gives me the CONFIDENCE to make my baby's food.

I've read tons of web reviews and blogs about this product, and detractors seem to miss/misunderstand my 'category' of mom. I cook when I can. I bake when I get the chance but... mostly, I dont have the time or confidence to pull it off...
Published on February 25, 2009 by ic

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful especially if you have a small kitchen, one safety concern though
I live in a small apartment and don't have room for lots of gadgets (not even a microwave). I find this appliance to be worth the counter space. I like that you can steam and puree in one appliance, and that I don't have to lug out the steamer and blender to whip up some food.

Some reviewers say your baby will outgrow this machine's usefulness in a few months...
Published on January 26, 2009 by brooklyncakes

‹ Previous | 1 2 347 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Great except for one huge design flaw, January 28, 2009
A. Troyer (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beaba Babycook - Sorbet (Baby Product)
I got the Beaba Babycook as a gift, and adored it for several weeks. I work and have very little spare time to spend in the kitchen, so I loved being able to steam and puree my baby's food without having to clean multiple pots and pans. Then, after about a month of regular use, I noticed a foul odor coming from the well where the water goes. I looked inside and saw that a brown crust had formed there. I figured it must be lime deposit that had turned brown from being exposed to the hot temperature of the babycook, but when I tried to descale the well, the vinegar did almost nothing to remove the brown deposit, even after several attempts. I was also very worried to see that the water that ended up in the steamer basket was brown, thus suggesting that if I tried steaming more veggies, the deposit would end up in my baby's food.

I contacted the manufacturer, and they recommended using distilled water (although there was no mention of this in the manual). So, I exchanged my now completely dysfunctional Babycook for a new one, and tried again. Within two days the brown film had developed, even though I was using distilled water. I don't know much about appliance design, but I figure there must be something really wrong with this gadget if it takes only a few days for such a deposit to form. And the odor is truly foul - no way I want my baby's food within a foot of whatever it is that collects there.

I don't see any mention of this problem in other reviews, but at the same time, I can't imagine that I am the only person this has happened to, given that it happened TWICE to me. Too bad - I really loved the idea behind this product!

1.0 out of 5 stars not worth the money, July 30, 2010
This review is from: Beaba Babycook - Sorbet (Baby Product)
This is a nice idea, but you can only fit half a sweet potato in it at a time. You should instead buy yourself an immersion blender, which is super easy to clean and useful for other things too. Steaming your food in a regular pot with a steamer basket is much faster and easier, and you don't need to be plugged in to do it. The Babycook is so cute and the idea is so nice, I just had to buy it.

I have some issues with the design as well as the function - the lid is awkward to close, a little lip on the lid has to slide into a little crevice on the body before you can use it. Very annoying to use, and you cannot get the thing off when you are done unless you use two hands. The food chopping function only happens when you have the switch turned, so its never hands free except when you are steaming, which takes longer than steaming on my gas stove. The cord is also too short, which is never good in the kitchen.

I did a test last night, half of the sweet potato in the babycook and half on the stove (chopped). Stove won, it was done first. But wait, the babycook will puree too right, so that was handy. But in order to puree a potato you need additional water, and that means a two handed removal of the lid and then the same thing to get it back on again. If there are chunks, its off again with the lid - very annoying. You can't fit much in the babycook to puree even after taking out the steaming basket. You are still limited to one half of a sweet potato, so I had to puree in batches.

An immersion blender is nice because you can move it around to get all the chunks, you can tilt the container etc.. I got this as a gift, I asked for it actually. But now I would love to return it.

Save your money and invest in an immersion blender for when you are making larger batches and a hand held food mill that doesn't need to be plugged in when baby eats what the family is eating but in a softer form.

Definitely not recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good concept, but some pretty major design flaws, January 30, 2011
Kate H (Stanford, CA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beaba Babycook - Sorbet (Baby Product)
This is a good product. My husband and I both work full-time, but we also love cooking, and want our baby to experience and enjoy good food just like we do. The Beaba Babycook is a simple, pretty much idiot-proof way to steam and prepare a meal for baby while I am preparing food for adults. Chop the food, place in basket, water in and turn the switch....10-15mins later light goes off and I can puree and serve fresh. Pretty much no washing - all of the items quickly rinse clean and can be put away, and the device looks nice and takes up limited counter space.

However, there are a few downsides, some of which have been noted in previous reviews, but I think all of these have pretty straightforward solutions, bar one. For me the only real problem with this machine is that although the active cooking stops when the light switches off, the element does not appear to turn off automatically, so if you are like me and occasionally forget that you have put food on to steam (eg last thing at night or before I leave for work in the morning), you find when you return that the heating element has remained on for hours, and the side of the device where the water goes is very hot. This does not seem to affect the product (it may in the long term), but it seems like a major design flaw that the thermostat does not turn the element off when the light goes off. The manufacturer clearly knows this, as the instruction manual tells you to turn it off when finished, but given we all have a lot on our minds, this does not seem altogether satisfactory. I have just had to try not to forget....and hope the unit won't overheat and burn the house down!

On a less serious note, depending on where you live (ie if you have hard water and likelihood of deposits from the water), there is a tendency for the water in the steamer to go brownish or develop deposits. The product insert addresses this and recommends that you run the steamer through with white vinegar intermittently. This completely resolves the problem...personally I don't really want to steam with distilled water, as I think it tastes bizarre, but that is another option.

Finally, I agree with other reviewers that the unit is quite small, and won't do more than about 2 days worth of food at once, but if you're like me and don't have a whole lot of freezer space, and are happy to prepare and serve on a more regular basis, this works just fine. In any case, even though the capacity is quite small, it is so easy to use that I don't find it a hassle doing multiple runs sequentially. The puree blade is also pretty vigorous, so you don't have a lot of control over the puree - it's either very smooth or not at all. This means that the device won't be a permanent fixture on my kitchen bench, but it is great for the first few months of solids, and has definitely paid for itself over jarred baby food.

OK - Update one month after purchase and I have another, pretty big downside. If you read the one star reviews of this product, you will see a large number of people commenting on the dark brown mold that builds up in the water reservoir despite following manufacturer's instructions on cleaning. This is certainly true,and it is worse if the lid is left on the unit after cooking, as the mold clearly loves the hot, moist environment. Unfortunately, the design flaw mentioned above, which means that the heating doesn't switch off when the cooking is finished, makes this even more likely to occur. There are two ways to address this, and note that the vinegar recommended does nothing. First, make sure you switch off after cooking and remove the lid from the water reservoir so it can dry properly in between uses. Secondly, I use a soft bottle brush with warm water to scrub out the inside, and then use paper towels pushed into the reservoir to dry out the brown water that results. It is definitely less than ideal to have to do this, but it doesn't take long, and at least means my baby is eating food without mold spores! I still like the convenience of the product, and the food is good, but I wouldn't buy it again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ah! There IS mold!, May 30, 2010
This review is from: Beaba Babycook - Sorbet (Baby Product)
I have been using this product for about 2 months and was soooo happy with it! I came on here to see if any other reviewers had written recipes, (I think my baby is getting bored with the ones we have been using). Then I saw a couple reviews about mold build up in the water resevoir. So I go over to look in mine with a flashlight and about had a heart attack! There was mold AND the brownish buildup. I cant belive my daughter hasnt gotten sick from the food I have been making her! Of course we are now past the 30 day warrenty and Im stuck with this nasty nasty machine. Please do not buy this product. I use vinegar to de-scale once a week and its still all moldy in there!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every cent!!!, July 7, 2010
This review is from: Beaba Babycook - Sorbet (Baby Product)
I first used this product in 2005 when I lived in London and I used it until I moved to the US at the end of 2007 when my son was almost 3. I found it to be absolutely invaluable. My son never ate a jar of baby food - not once, because of this handy gadget. All of his food for the first year was made in this and he was still eating food prepared in it when we left the UK.

The pros for us was that it eliminated the need for 2 separate (and usually bulky) appliances (very handy in our Central London apartment) and it allowed us to prepare food for our son when we travelled which we did extensively. This item travelled (and cooked) in Morocco, Amsterdam, New York, Washington DC, the Caribbean, the Alps and many other places. Wherever there was an electricity socket we could use it.

The best thing about it though is that this appliance is BPA and PVC (phthalate) free. I know that many American parents are not as across this issue of toxic chemicals as the Europeans and the Canadians but it is a hugely important topic for young children. Heating food in plastic is something you have to be very careful about, especially if you are feeding young children. I'm simplifying this but in a nutshell BPA and phthalates have the ability to mimic the female hormone estrogen and interfere with the production of the male hormone (testosterone) amongst other things. These chemicals are implicated in diseases such as breast cancer, testicular cancer, lowered sperm counts and defective sperm and diabetes. Studies have shown that plastics, when heated, can leach (pass on) these chemicals. Food and fluid heated in plastic containers or devices that contain these chemicals, will contain these chemicals in them also. Chemicals that you (or your child) then eat.

If your family eats lots of steamed vegetables etc then you will probably have a steamer that you are already using and I agree if you are steaming for a family then this is simply too small, but it worked perfectly for us and I would often steam food for us (spinach, baby carrots etc) from time to time.

I never had a problem with mold or brown fluid!! (Also I am not sure you can blame an appliance for mold!)

In a nutshell if you can afford it and want to make your own baby food, I cannot recommend this more highly. I am pregnant again and am so happy that this is now available in the US. I cannot wait to use it again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Definitely buildup and mold, July 16, 2013
This review is from: Beaba Babycook - Sorbet (Baby Product)
I received this item as a gift when I had my first baby, and used it to make all of his baby food. After a few months of regular use and cleaning, I opened up the heating chamber to inspect it and noticed some truly disgusting buildup in the heating chamber. Cleaning it doesn't put my mind to ease, even though the manufacturer has made a point to respond to every negative review on here with detailed cleaning instructions. Honestly, your Babycook will get disgusting and funky with buildup. It's inevitable - the chamber is dark, dank and just a breeding ground for mold. Following the instructions of the manufacturer, I wondered why the process of cleaning it and watching these chunks of brown and black flow out of the Babycook wouldn't give anyone serious pause as to whether they should use this contraption at all. How can you possibly know that it's truly clean afterwards?

The whole point of buying this system is so that you can avoid purchasing overprocessed, premade babyfoods. The moms who buy this believe in making pure, healthy foods for their babies. Why would you take the risk of using the Babycook and potentially creating serious health issues for your child? As a mom who wants both of my babies to have the very best (I'm now on #2), I'm just not going to roll the dice on this one.

If you're considering buying this item, keep looking. There are far better - and cheaper - alternatives to making baby food that don't give you pause every time you use it. I'll be sticking to the good ol' fashioned stove and our existing food processor. I'm just disappointed that yet another piece of baby gear is taking up space in our house, unused.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst costumer service I have ever seen, July 29, 2013
This review is from: Beaba Babycook - Sorbet (Baby Product)
I have received this product as a gift at my baby shower and was really excited because I had heard it's great. About 6 months later when my baby started eating pureed food I began using it. Everything great until about a week later when it stopped working and made a weird sound when trying to blend the steamed veggies. Ttried to get in touch with the company that offers the warranty. I got a reply with the number of another new company in NJ that is handling Beaba products.I got a call from someone there and after I explained the situation I was told that it was probably the engine that was broke and that they will send me a mailing label so I can send it back and they will either fix it or give me a new one. Got even a case number...nothing happened!!! No e-mail, no mailing label, no phone call... I called and left a dozen messages, I have gotten no response. I'm very disappointed and will never trust this company again. Had I known they are not reliable I would have never placed it on my baby shower's list of things, could have found something actually worth the money. Don't waste your time and money or if you do, pray that it will work.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Concept... Weak Processor, July 10, 2009
This review is from: Beaba Babycook - Sorbet (Baby Product)
I typically am not a big proponent of single-purpose specialty gadgets, but the Babycook was appealing to me for convenience. The product does deliver in that it significantly reduces dishes/clean up - however the processing function is surprisingly weak. To puree steamed chunks of carrots takes far longer to pulse than what the manual implies. I have to pulse & scrape down multiple times before foods are completely pureed - something I would definitely not have to do with a food processor or even a blender. I was very surprised not to have seen this shortcoming mentioned in reviews as of yet, but perhaps my expectations are a bit higher because I do cook on a very frequent basis. Although I love the idea of having an easy machine to whip up fresh baby food, I'll likely return it and use a steamer + food processor for better results.

1.0 out of 5 stars MOLD forms due to DESIGN FLAW, and company will not return!, August 3, 2009
This review is from: Beaba Babycook - Sorbet (Baby Product)
Please DO NOT buy this product or anything from HEALTHCHECK SYSTEMS! I don't know how they can call themselves by that name. I happened to read another reviewer who found mold in the water reservoir, got an exchange, and had the same thing happen. I used this as intended with the splatter shield, and ran it through multiple de-scalings by using vinegar/water, and the mold did not go away- except some gets into the food basket each time you steam! So, your baby is eating his/her food with mold in it. The company says they don't have this problem- probably because they are ignorant and don't care about me sending it back to test it, and people don't know because it is hard to see into the reservoir. I have only used this for about 4 months and am very clean. The manager hung up on me! They refused to listen to what I had to say, and stand by their 30-day return policy! Mold does not grow in 30 days! They must know their product is garbage with that kind of return policy. I can't believe they are allowed to sell products under that name that can cause babies and children to get sick! It's no wonder my baby had a temporary "unknown" allergy! They do not have any concern! They should not be able to sell on Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this gadget!, November 22, 2009
This review is from: Beaba Babycook - Sorbet (Baby Product)
I received the Babycook as a gift and I absolutely love it! Here's how it works: Pour some water into the reservoir tank. Load food into the steamer basket which sits right in the grinder "bowl". It steams the food perfectly, then you dump the food from the steamer basket into the grinder portion, grind and VIOLA! you have baby food. I agree with other reviewers that you can grab your steamer and your blender and probably get similar results. . .but now you've got a counter full of kitchen appliances, you have to perfect your steaming capabilities. . .what a pain!!! This little guy stores easily in a cupboard, you bring him out and he cooks and grinds the food. Clean up is a breeze. So worth the investment! (oh, yah. . I forgot, mine was a gift. . but I would buy one in a heartbeat!!!!). Seriously, it makes "making baby food" a breeze. I think it would be a chore to bring out the steamer, bring out the blender or food processor, use them, wash them, put them away. I'm LAZY and this little guy makes my baby food making adventures so simple! Buy it. . .stop thinking about it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 347 | Next ›