5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this BEFORE you buy a beagle!
I have owned beagles before, both as pups and adopted as adults, so I was already familliar with the breed's behaviors, but did want to buy this for a 'refresher course' in Beag-ology.
Published on February 3, 2003 by C. K. Ogi

2.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable information marred by awful writing
Published on January 5, 2005 by wirelessG

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this BEFORE you buy a beagle!, February 3, 2003
This review is from: Beagle Handbook, The (Barron's Pet Handbooks) (Paperback)
This is one of the best books I have read on Beagle-owning. From behavior to feeding, breeding, etc. The writing style is very easy to digest and the information is partitioned for quick reference if you need it. Very informative and easy to understand.
And, if you are unfamilliar with beagles at all and are thinking of adding one to your family, I can't stress enough how helpful this book will be in either 1.) your decision-making or 2.) adoption. Anyone not used to the beagles temperment and behavior needs to get this before being faced with a bevy of adorable pups. They are as 'energetic' and destructive as they are cute and do require some atypical attention. This book explains beagle pros and cons perfectly and can provide you with adequate information necessary in deciding if a beagle is right for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for future beagle owners., October 20, 2000
Teresa Gaier (Albuquerque, New Mexico USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beagle Handbook, The (Barron's Pet Handbooks) (Paperback)
A very thruthful and informative incite into the beagle breed. It dose not sugar coat the facts about owning one of these fun loving but sometimes mischievous breeds. As a beagle breeder for sixteen years, I will recommend it to all prospective puppy buyers.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Beagle Handbook (Barron's Pet Handbooks), September 26, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Beagle Handbook, The (Barron's Pet Handbooks) (Paperback)
This was a wonderful, informative book about Beagles. The author wrote the book using "Sam" & "Rosy" as Beagle examples (fictionary Beagles) throughout the entire book, giving the dogs a more positive personal presence while you are reading it. It has been so very helpful to me in the decision making of the purchase of a puppy Beagle and will help me prepare for the days ahead (and some sleepless nights as well)... My husband even enjoyed reading it to better prepare for the arrival of our new little one.
A great book that I would recommend to anyone who is interested in or already owns a Beagle.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad I bought this book first!, May 26, 2004
R. Gordon "Tech Enthusiast" (Decatur, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beagle Handbook, The (Barron's Pet Handbooks) (Paperback)
Now, I'm not sure if I want a beagle.
This is a great book. While I am only halfway through it, it has already addressed methods for finding a breeder, problems with buyg dogs from other sources, selecting your beagle, and early health problems to look for in a pup. I never though so much information would be in one book.
It goes on to dicuss training, tips on training your pet, introducing him/her to the family, leaving him/her alone, and the big one...that howl. It also talks about behavior and so many other things that I can't recall at the moment.
My own reservations don't really speak to the book's genius, but I have to say I really wanted a beagle before reading the book. Now, I'm not so sure. I love the breed so much, but it has so much baggage!
Excellent book! I'm still reading it (not much of a book reader here), so I am still on the fence about my dog choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars beagles, May 10, 2001
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Beagle Handbook, The (Barron's Pet Handbooks) (Paperback)
I love this book and it gives me all the info I need to take care of my beagle. I would recommend this book to any owners of beagles hard to train or has bad habits. So go get this wonderfully written book with great pictures.

2.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable information marred by awful writing, January 5, 2005
wirelessG (St. Louis, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beagle Handbook, The (Barron's Pet Handbooks) (Paperback)
I'm a beagle owner and was happy to receive this book as a gift. That was until I started reading it. While it does an adequate job of covering basic information about the breed, the writing is bad enough to be a constant annoyance to anyone with a grasp of grammar or style. Most egregious is the author's incomprehensible choice to substitute the proper names of dogs for indirect references and even pronouns. So instead of saying something like "your beagle may be difficult to toilet train" or "beagles are difficult to toilet train," we must read "Rosie may be difficult to toilet train." Multiply this by thousands of references, and you may slowly be driven insane; certainly I was. I have since bought "Training your Beagle" by Kristine Kraeuter and found it includes even better research and breed information without the fanciful and disastrous prose.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beagles - My Hound of Choice!, September 3, 2005
This review is from: Beagle Handbook, The (Barron's Pet Handbooks) (Paperback)
As the owner of a beagle, I thought this was a mediocre book. The grammar is poor, but it does offer good factual information about the breed. The author, in an effort to be "equal opportunity" uses the names "Sam" and "Rosie" as generic male and female beagles. It seems that a more effective approach would be to say "beagles" without using names.

Kraeuter's book entitled "Training Your Beagle" is a much better book and was very helpful. Beagle owners will no doubt love her book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Basic, April 30, 2013
If you absolutely know nothing about beagles, this is a good place to start. I wouldn't pay over $10 for it though because it is very basic information. I bought this as a gift for a friend who just saved a beagle from the pound. After going through this book with him, it gave me a better understanding of how much love and care these dogs need. If you're looking for a book that is more specific in any area (training, health, etc.), this is not the book you need. However, if you want a good overview of everything about beagles from basic care, history, and fun facts, this is a good book for beginners. Plus, if it's at a good price, I'd buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars What the DR ordered, March 11, 2013
We are in the process of getting a new pup, a beagle and wanted to know as much about the breed as we could. My previous two dogs over the past 25 years were labs which are the super easiest dogs to train and live with. My wife has always wanted a beagle and since I don't hunt anymore the lab is more dog than I want to deal with in our camper. I didn't know a thing about the nature of the breed, any common health issues, trainability (I made that one up), and any other quirks. I purchased this book and a Beagles for Dummies at the same time. There was a lot of crossover which I expected and found this one to be what I believe will be my go to book when "stuff" comes up. Easy read, lots of good pictures of various ages of dogs, well laid out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good read for Beagle lovers, January 24, 2013
I'm a first time Beagle owner, found my pup on the side of the road in the late fall (2012) at about 3-4 weeks old (abandon). Had no idea how to care for this energenic pup. This book gave me great insight on how these little pups work. I enjoyed reading the history of these little guys and I especially found the chapter on Beagle health (nose to tail) very informative and educational. There is a lot of good information packed into this book, easy to read for us laymen, and the pictures are a great tool in helping to understand what a Beagle may be doing wrong or supposed to do correctly. Nice cute pictures too! Great tips on train these pups, I've already put a few of these tips to use with success. Little pup really likes to work for food, like the book reads. Hope to keep my 'Chico' happy for years and I know this handbook will help me do that. I will suggest this book for anyone intersted or in ownership of a Beagle to read and own this book, very helpful.

Beagle Handbook, The (Barron's Pet Handbooks)
Beagle Handbook, The (Barron's Pet Handbooks) by Dan Rice (Paperback - September 1, 2000)
$12.99 $9.41