4.0 out of 5 stars Great quality and value.
Published on March 11, 2010 by Will

1.0 out of 5 stars From Outstanding to the Bottom of the Barrel
Published on December 30, 2009 by Edward F. Shimkus

4.0 out of 5 stars Great quality and value., March 11, 2010
Will (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
I just brewed up a pot in my french press after receiving the bag in the mail today and I have to say I am impressed! Like another reviewer noted, this is a true dark roast. Extremely fresh tasting, and very smooth flavor with very little acidity. I can definitely see myself ordering this again. ~$30 shipped for 5 lbs versus paying 8-10/lb at a grocery store for wildly varying quality and age...it's a no brainer.

Edit: (8.10.2011) Unfortunately I have to re-visit my original review of this product. The past 2 times I've ordered I've noticed the quality reduced significantly. The beans seem somewhat stale upon arrival and there is a definite bitterness that was not present in orders 6-12 months ago. I've decided to switch to a local roaster that produces a far fresher and superior product for not much more money.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 whole lbs., January 19, 2010
This is a lot of coffee for the price. Very nice flavor. It's a darker bean but not a full on dark roast to me. Coffee oils present on the beans when you open the bag. Adds taste. Not bitter at all and a real good buy that I'm happy with and will buy again.

Update:
On second thought I would call a this a true dark roast. What confused me was this is a good one. Darks usually are bitter to me. I always thought many producers put in additives for the dark flavor. Not one I find too pleasant usually. I've been avoiding dark roasts for a while and now found a good one. Good quality at a price that is hard to beat. Oils on the beans really flavor it up! Good smoother dark roast. 5 lbs of Quality.

So two years later I'm still buying this coffee. I have ordered for other people because I have Prime and every time the comment is "That is a giant bag." and then "I told you it was five pounds when I ordered." Five pounds in person is a lot. This really is a bargain. All have liked it. The other flavors are good too.

5.0 out of 5 stars delicious!, May 21, 2010
We are pretty picky about the coffee we drink and put off buying this coffee for 6 months. Finally ordered the 5 pound bag and I am about to order another.
Half the price of what we normally pay and it's the best cup of coffee! Big bang for my buck and we love that!

5.0 out of 5 stars The grind is a careful matter., April 6, 2011
You will get a "bitter" espresso if your grind is too fine. It seems many people grind beans at the wrong setting. Using my burr grinder I set at medium to get a "sugar grain" size grind for the first test. My grinder has 3 settings for medium. I use the smallest medium setting. Next I move up to the middle medium setting to test again for taste. I can go down to the highest fine setting but I don't find that setting as tasty as the medium setting.

Crema is easy to get so testing for flavor is the my procedure. Crema is more plentiful at my medium settings using my pump espresso machine. This the best bean I've used in 3 years of pump espresso experience. Best taste. Best crema. I don't use sugar or any sweetner. Mostly black (cafe noir) but I do use half-and-half (cafe au creme) or 3% milk (cafe au lait) as well. I can make a chocolate coffee by adding real chocolte syrup.

Your grinder may be different. So may be your taste.

If you grind too fine the shot is bitter, crema is less, and water flow may be poor even seeming to stop as though something is wrong with the machine. You can test with a grind too fine if you like and the results may be as I've written here.

Your espresso machine may be better.

This Italian roast espresso works as drip (coarse grind), French press (coarsest grind), and espresso as described above. It's an all-around bean. Iced coffee is good.

The fine, even very fine powdery grind, should make a turkish well enough but I regret to state I've not tried to make turkish.

1.0 out of 5 stars From Outstanding to the Bottom of the Barrel, December 30, 2009
I am a dark-roast coffee drinker who appreciates beans that have been roasted according to generally accepted standards (nonetheless mindful of conflicting definitions of exactly what constitutes say, French v. Italian roast, from one area to another). Apart from very well-known, and might I add expensive, whole-bean coffees sold at Amazon that I have purchased, Coffee Bean Direct Italian Roast Espresso is the first that I have purchased that is, in fact, a true Italian roast. The beans, characteristically, are almost black and are glossy with a pronounced oily surface - as they should be. I brew these beans as "regular" coffee as well as Espresso and find that, in either case, they present me the precise dark-roast flavor that I seek. I must admit that my palate, whose acuity is mollified by Balkan pipe tobacco, cannot adequately distinguish the subtle differences amongst different varieties of beans. As a consequence, my singular focus is on the precision of the roasting. Coffee Bean Direct Italian Roast Espresso is spot on in that regard, producing an exquisite cup of coffee - if one prefers a very dark roast. Finally, at a little over $5 per pound, I dare say one is not likely to find a superior, similar roast, at twice the cost. At $27 for a five pound bag (and free shipping), I believe few would be disappointed with this roast as is. Furthermore, one could use this roast, blending it with "common" coffees found on local grocers' shelves to add body - and flavor. Well done, Amazon!

10/24/2013 UPDATE

After receiving multiple shipments of beans that were not even dark roasted, let alone Italian or "Super Dark Espresso," I initiated email contact with CBD. They refused to respond fearing that I would post my comments here. Please refer to the "Comments" attached to this review where I have posted the entire, unedited email thread (I removed my email address). I think the emails speak for themselves. My apologies to all for taking so long to update this review.

Ed

4.0 out of 5 stars Sucking the wrong end, July 23, 2012
Charliedb (Northern Va. USA) - See all my reviews
One reviewer must have been sucking the wrong end of that alpaca,cause his taste buds are off.It's probably the best dark roast I've had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Italian Espresso roast - perfect for my daily drink, November 9, 2010
The wife and I love coffee. We're not coffee aficionados that pick apart this and that about beans and roasting, we leave that to the pros. But we do appreciate a good cup of joe on a daily basis. This coffee delivers. Given how much coffee we drink, I'm curious to see how long this 5lb bag will last us. I'll update this review when I'm down to a pound, that means it's re-order time. This has become our daily drinker and has replaced the Starbucks Espresso Roast that we've been buying for $10/lb the last couple years. It makes a nice, dark smooth coffee each and every time. Almost sweet and not very acidic. For my 16oz traveler, I fill it up, put half a tsp of Coffeemate creamer and half a tsp of sugar and I'm good to go. Aromatic, and nice and bold, just sweet enough to enjoy for my first hour of the day. Keep in mind, we do not own an espresso maker, this stuff goes in our grind and brew coffee maker each and every day...twice a day. I'm not a big espresso drinker, not because I don't like it, but because I don't own a machine and don't really have the time to make shots most days. This coffee seems like it would do the trick in that dept as well, but I wouldn't know. I do know that this coffee makes a great daily drip that is not too in your face but gives you exactly what you're looking for. We will be purchasing again when the time comes, and as always, excellent job Amazon, for quick delivery.

EDIT 1/24/11
I meant to update when I re-ordered coffee but forgot. This 5lb bag lasted us from 10/30/10 through 1/17/11, sometimes brewed twice, most times brewed once daily. I got wonderful news from my doc that I needed to cut my daily caffeine intake, so I'm down to brewing in the morning, which means this next batch of coffee might last a little longer...let's see how fresh it stays. All-in-all, this was a very good coffee. So good that we'll continue to purchase this brand and blend from now on.

EDIT #2 5/10/11
Upgrade to 5-stars.

I re-ordered another 5lb bag at the end of April 2011. The previous bag didn't last nearly as long as my first order. I tihnk it has something to do with the fact that we (wife and I) purchased an expresso maker. It's not a fancy one, but the mypressi TWIST Handheld Espresso Maker makes pretty good espresso and these beans realy do make a decent shot. I don't have a burr grinder, but bought this Mr. Coffee electric grinder to prepare grinds for the espresso shots. Even after being ground with an electric grinder (purists will not agree), these beans do make a good shot with even better crema. Now I can honestly say these beans do not disappoint one bit - for both daily drip coffee and single shot espresso, these beans are superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Deal, December 13, 2010
This is great coffee at a reasonable price. Dark, full-bodied, smooth. We drink lots of coffee, so we might as well drink good coffee, and at this price for five pounds, this is the deal for us. We also have tried the Poor Man's Blend, which is nearly as good for even less. I'm very glad to have found this company.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this coffee!, May 20, 2010
mimi (Alb., New Mexico) - See all my reviews
This is my husband's favorite coffee from Amazon, and I love it too! It has a great price and fabulous rich flavor. We are trying to get the whole family "hooked" on this great espresso. We buy two bags at a time so we don't run out.

4.0 out of 5 stars morning mix, October 23, 2010
This review is from: Six Bean Espresso, Whole Bean Coffee, 5-Pound Bag (Grocery)
I have been drinking espresso/latte for years. One "big" cup in the morning and I'm gone for the day! Of course I have tried many different beans from many different roasters. Although I like "Italian dark" this "blend" is very much alike in some ways: full, smooth with deep aroma and great "crema" on top. I believe, just like wine, coffee is each individuals own taste but, try this one for a smooth, powerful wake up! Also very satisfied with the brand for great packaging and fast delivery.

Six Bean Espresso, Whole Bean Coffee, 5-Pound Bag