Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on January 14, 2012
I just received my new purple bean zafu today. I love it. One of the previous reviewers said it may not suit the overweight person. I am one to say that this pillow has been tried and tested by this 5'6" 260lb woman;) It works fine and is very comfortable.
22 comments136 of 143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2011
I searched for just the right meditation pillow for quite a while and finally found this one. I'm very happy with it and am very glad I got it. I'd happily purchase it again. The size of this pillow is substantial and its easy to get comfortable nestling down into the buckwheat hulls. I find that it provides just the right amount of elevation so that I can have a good straight posture without any strain on my hips, back, legs etc. Its perfect!

While I was shopping, I saw a lot of fancy silk and brocade zafus (for quite a lot of money) and thought all along that that just didn't seem very practical. Pretty, yes, but for a pillow that's going to be living on the floor in house with 3 dogs and a couple of rambunctious kids, that just seemed to be asking for trouble. The covering is a nice heavy canvas in a solid purple color (lots of other colors are available). Attached to one side is a sturdy nylon band carrying handle. There is a vertical zipper close by the handle so that you could remove some of the buckwheat hulls if desired for a more yielding feel. Or add some back, I guess.

My only (relatively minor) issue is that the canvas cover you sit on is not removable for cleaning. There is no inner liner that actually holds the hulls. If you unzip the zipper all of the hulls could potentially escape. So casual cleaning is realistically not going to happen. If some dog vomits on it (it could happen, its happened before in my house) then I could just buckle down and do just that: empty all the hulls into a bucket, wash or dry clean and then refill.

Oh well, a relatively minor caveat for a great, highly functional meditation pillow.
44 comments40 of 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2011
I use this cushion for my vipassana practice. It's sturdy and comfortable. The price is low and it was made in the US. I'm not sure you could ask for more. It's not terribly decorative, but honestly I prefer that. I'd rather focus on my practice than on my cushion. Good job Bean!
0Comment39 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2010
Meditation is something I've been doing for years, but I've always tried to tough it out on the floor or just a couch cushion. I finally broke down and got the zafu cushion plus additional zabuton and was great surprised at the difference it made. I found the zafu surprisingly sturdy and supported my back much better without being too soft or too hard and lumpy. The stuffing inside is tight and comfortable, and I find it much easier to meditate for a prolonged period without the loss of circulation, numbness, or slightly crooked spine issues I had before.

I was also pleased to see that my three year old daughter enjoys the set too, not for meditation, but as a simple "bean bag" style seat she can use, so she uses it almost as often as I do. After two months of owning it, the product continues to be pretty useful. Thanks!
33 comments60 of 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 19, 2015
zipper closure does not seal well and you end up with buckwheat leaking
They need to seal the buckwheat in a seperate bag inside the canvas
review image
0Comment23 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2012
I find that the filling in this cushion moves too much to the back/rear of the cushion. Most meditation sitting instructions indicate that proper sitting position is to sit on the front third of the cushion. When I use that position with this cushion, the filling moves to the back of the cushion, resulting in significant sinking. If you sit on the middle of the cushion, the sinking is not a problem, but you are sacrificing other aspects of your posture.
44 comments54 of 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 13, 2012
I'm almost 60 and have problems with my knees,hips,back ... you name it; but with this cushion I can comfortably sit on the floor to meditate. Somehow my back and hips are supported so that I can sit for 30-45 minutes without squirming around. The cushion material is very sturdy and there is no smell; the buckwheat is loose inside the cushion but that is not an issue for me -- comfort is my main concern and this cushion has that covered. The handle works great; I sometimes carry it to the living room to sit on to watch tv or paint my toenails!!...oh, and made in the USA .. Yeah!!
0Comment31 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2011
Very good Zafu for the price. I can sit in much longer meditation sessions with out the pain! I feel stable, and my butt doesn't get sore from it being too firm either. The only reason I am giving it a 4 star rating is because you can not remove the shell to wash it. The zipper is just a small opening so that you can adjust the amount of hulls inside to suit you. I guess if you really needed to wash it you could dump out all the hulls, but what a mess that would be! Otherwise, this is a really nice Zafu that will last years(just don't get it dirty).
0Comment44 of 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2013
I know I'm a little odd. I'd rather sit on the floor than in a chair. With my laptop on a footstool, my coffee on a coaster by my side, I'm totally happy. Recently I started having difficulty getting up, and sometimes my hips ached (I am 68.) So I ordered this sturdy meditation cushion. It is plump, about 4.5 inches thick, about 14.5 inches in diameter, and firmly filled. It adapts to my shape just enough to keep me comfortable. I can sit with my knees straight or bent, my legs even in traditional meditation positions. Sitting on it I can keep my spine straight, my breathing full and deep--even when I am reading a newspaper full of bad news, or working on a challenging piece of writing. Consider buying this handsome cushion and moving your home office to the floor.
0Comment17 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 6, 2014
We have two of these cushions and within a month the stitching was coming apart, and thus the beans were everywhere.