4.0 out of 5 stars Great container
This container is excellent. It does exactly what it describes. My only complaint is I wish the lid was attached to the container as in a hinge. Instead it comes completely off. It is easy to do, just wish I got one with a clasp and hinge style.
Published on January 9, 2013 by Jason Pruett

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, deceptive description
Published 18 months ago by Igor Livshits

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, deceptive description, July 12, 2013
This review is from: BeanSafe "The Coffee Storage Solution", Stainless Steel-BLACK (Office Product)
I specifically went for the stainless steel version for the advantages such provides. After a few uses, the canister developed a foul odor. I washed it with soap and scrubbed it with baking soda (using non-scratch brushes and sponges). After a few repetitions of this, I finally got rid of the stink. When the canister dried, I noticed that the entire inner surface tarnished.

If this is indeed a stainless steel canister, it is not like any other stainless steel canister or piece of cookware I own. I expect stainless steel to resist persistent odors. I also expect stainless steel to easily stand up to washing with baking soda and come out the better for it. All my other stainless steel items do.

Further, the plastic lid never snapped on well from day one. If I turned it just right, it would snap on all four clasps. Otherwise, at least one would remain loose.

This is not a well-made product. This is not a product made of quality materials. I question the "stainless steel" in its description. It may be plated or otherwise coated. I have no idea what triggered the odor, and I don't know what I actually removed during my cleaning.

Needless to say, I no longer trust it to contain food. Too bad these problems developed outside of the Amazon return window, as I am now stuck with it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Easily outperformed by a mason jar, April 26, 2014
I bought this when I first got into coffee, not really understanding what it was for and just trusting the manufacturer's advertising.

Coffee outgasses carbon dioxide when freshly roasted, but the rate of outgassing drops rapidly with time. You see one-way valves on coffee cans and bags when you buy them from the store because of this very reason--the amount of outgassing can be enough to puff up a bag or, in extreme cases, make it explode!

By the time most coffee gets into your hands, however, the outgassing is virtually zero, so you don't need to worry about having a one-way valve at all.

What about super freshly roasted coffee? The valve on the BeanSafe is nothing remarkable. If you hold the lid up to bright light, you can see a tiny glass ball sitting on a hole. Shake the lid, and you can see the glass ball rolling around. All the valve does, really, is have the ball roll up when there's some pressure inside the container, burp out some gas, and the ball rolls back into place. (For this reason, you shouldn't store the container on its side or upside-down.)

What else might serve the same function? A mason jar! A mason jar's lid is in two pieces: a flat plate and a band to screw it down. Simply don't screw the band in all the way. When pressure inside the jar builds up, the flat plate lifts up slightly, burps out some gas, and goes back down. For the price of a BeanSafe, you can probably get 20 mason jars. The added benefit is that glass is inert and will not rust or stain. Also, the lid is more secure and more durable than the BeanSafe's questionable plastic tabs. The con is that the glass lets in light, which may degrade coffee. This is easily solved--just put the jar in a cupboard.

I still use the BeanSafe since I now roast coffee, and it seems to function as intended. I'm concerned about the valve because my kitchen often smells like freshly roasted coffee when I use the BeanSafe, meaning those beautiful aromas are leaving the beans. After a day or so of outgassing from a roast, I transfer the beans to an airtight container.

Bottom line: If you don't roast your own (you should!), or if you don't buy freshly roasted coffee from a local roaster, there is no real reason to use this. If you do, a loosely screwed mason jar will do just fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great container, January 9, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for keeping coffee fresh! BUT WHY ORANGE?, February 4, 2014
I am a coffee roaster. This works very well. It allows CO2 to displace O2, and keeps your coffee fresh for a good 5-7 if fresh roasted. Easy to open, and I am totally satisfied with the stainless container. However...... The orange silicone looks TERRIBLE. Why would it be made orange? I cant think of a color that would look worse sitting in my kitchen?

5.0 out of 5 stars bought 2, March 29, 2013
K. A. Harris (mechanicsville, va) - See all my reviews
One for work and one for home and the coffee is kept well. A great product that I would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great canister for freshness, May 9, 2013
Great little storage container that keeps coffee nice and fresh compared to other methods. I had to reorder because the first one was broken when it came, but was quickly replaced. Would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be happier!, January 9, 2013
Love this container!!!!!!!! Coffee tastes as good as it did the day I ground the beans! Not only does it work, it is so easy to clean and looks great in my kitchen!!!!!.....oh, and let's not forget the great coffee scoop that coordinates with the valve! Buy it! Love it! Be a fan for life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, functional design., December 4, 2013
Chose this over another brand, one which has a filter in the lid that they recommend replacing every 2 or 3 months. It's a one way valve to let gas out, ya shouldn't be needing a filter for that.

Some people knock this, or similar products, because "it still leaves air inside". Geniuses, the lot of them! It's *not* a vacuum container, it makes no claim of extracting all air. I fail to see why people compare products against features they *want*, but features a product never *claims*. "This Dyson vacuum is great, but I'm removing one star because it doesn't scour my sinks." But, I digress! Lovely semi-brushed finish on the stainless, simple glass bead one-way valve, easy cleaning and care, and most importantly: does what it's supposed to. I just wish the rubber part of the valve was something other than orange. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a coffee lover, December 21, 2012
WOW!It's about time someone made a product to keep my coffee fresh. It seems that it never tasted the same after opening the package of coffee and this valve on top of the Beansafe canaster, keeps my coffee like the first time I made it. I am so happy to have found this wonderful product and will give it as a gift for any occasion.
Thank you Bean Safe!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this AND it's QUIRKY ... READ THIS BEFORE YOU BUY, September 7, 2014
Liz Severino (Greater Philadelphia Area, U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
This is a beautiful, beautiful coffee storage solution AND it's QUIRKY so read this before you buy. You will love it ... once you've figured out how to get it to work properly. What doesn't work? Snapping the four lid snaps down in such a way that they actually snap and STAY snapped, thereby retaining the seal! While I was figuring out what worked, I had to use a stong rubber-band to keep them in place. Could I have sent it back? Of course. But did I mention it's a "beautiful, beautiful coffee storage solution"? I'm into great beauty AND perfect functionality: I was determined to find a way to make it work. The problem is two-fold: first, the glass air nozzle in the top (which is what makes this unit work so well in keeping the coffee fresh) gets clogged fairly easily. So one needs to wash the lid, dry it completely, and then secure it on the top of the cannister. Second, even when the top is free of grounds (even 1 tiny little coffee ground will clog it), the lid has to be very quickly and very evenly dropped onto the top rim of the cannister itself in order for all four lid snaps to actually snap and stay snapped. So, now you know! Use it in good health!

BeanSafe "The Coffee Storage Solution", Stainless Steel-BLACK