Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more

on March 29, 2011
I am a long time archer and I bought this bow for my grandson as a starter. The bow that we received looks nothing like the one shown on the amazon sales page. First of all, it is not a recurve. It can only be classified as a longbow. It is basically a straight piece of green fiberglass with polymer ends and grip. The grip is nice, and the ends are pretty good, retaining the string well. The arrows, arm guard, finger guard and "quiver" really, really suck, and would make Fred Bear turn over in his grave, if he knew that his company was selling garbage to future customers. I wonder if bear ever shot the ones we received with this bow. The arrows are way too long for any young person attempting to use the bow, and they are rated at a maximum draw weight of 10 pounds, while the bow is from 10 to 20 lbs draw weight. The result is very poor flight characteristics. I tried them, and was amazed at how poor they were. Luckily, I ordered a glove, a dozen properly sized arrows, and a decent quiver for my grandson so he dosen't get turned off with the two POS arrows provided by Bear. This ran my bill up to $115, but it is my opinion that lousy equipment is worse than none at all as it causes disappointment, and dashes a youngsters confidence into the dirt. Not good for a beginner. I would have paid more for a decent set with at least 6 arrows, but I guess bear dosen't think that way for low end stuff. The point is, there is a level of quality below which you cannot go and still have something that actually performs. The fact that the max draw weight printed on the arrows does not match the bows draw weight bothers me, and could represent a safety problem.

Update: The bow sucks too. As I stated in my initial review the bow we received is a straight piece of fiberglass that is about 3/4 of an inch wide. It does not narrow at the arrow rest. The result is that the arrow does not align along the centerline of the bow. As the string is released with an arrow knocked, the arrow is skewed as it is thrown off the bow. The result is horrible flight characteristics. I kind of blame myself for thinking I could buy a bow for $34 dollars, but I thought I was OK as it had the BEAR name on it. I guess I thought wrong, and if bear has decided to sell crap , I will not be buying anything else from them.
88 comments|197 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 20, 2010
I bought this for my 7 year old daughter. I didn't want to spend too much in case this was more of a whim than a genuine interest. She (and therefore I) am not disappointed. She can pull the bow back far enough to stick the arrows into a hay bail at 10 yards.

Additionally, it has pull to spare, so she can grow into it, prolonging the time that I have to fork out real money for a more advanced bow. I have other kids who are showing an interest as well. If they really get into it, I'll definitely buy a second.

I can comfortably recommend this set to any young, first-time archer. Happy shooting.
on March 5, 2013
i am just a violent 12 year old girl just getting into archery so i was looking for a basic bow about my size.
i know a little about archery since it was introduced in my gym class.
when it finally arrived, i had just come home from school and my friend and i were so excited. it was a little difficult stringing it because you have to be strong enough to bend the bow a little so make sure that you're strong. my dad helped me around that and he knows about weapons and fighting as a navy veteran.\
1) it was a little vague about how to string the bow but as i mentioned, i worked around it so make sure you have some knowledge of archery.
2) the arrows can take a good beating but since i use my bow to take out a lot of anger and i happen to shoot very often, be prepared to buy a couple more arrows. so far only one nock broke off.

even though the accessories do seem a little cheap, they can also take a good beating and work well for me. since i shoot a lot and the string bites into my fingers the finger tab helps me with that and when i draw back my elbow goes sideways into the path of the string so the armguard helps that too.
on January 3, 2012
This Bow's most attractive aspect is it's price. It is very affordable and you get what you pay for. I purchased this for my wife who wants to try her hand at some target archery. Now that I've researched it more and have learned more about it, I would not have chosen this bow for this purpose. You do receive exactly what is advertised. The Arrows are the wrong length, so they need to be replaced right away. The biggest thing that hurts this bow is the very narrow Arrow Rest above the grip. It is difficult to keep the arrow positioned correctly and it does make your shots go a little haywire. And unfortunately this model does not allow modification (such as a 3rd party arrow rest). So you are pretty much stuck with what you get.

It's still fun as a casual thing, but we will be replacing it soon with a better quality bow.
on December 10, 2009
The title says it all. He bought it with his own money and thinks it was completely worth it. This is his first bow, and he thinks it is great.
on February 11, 2012
I ordered this bow and was under the impression (from the picture) that it was a recurve bow. Needless to say, it is not a recurve, it is a long bow, and is quite different from the picture and description. Also, it is made of green fiberglass which really looks like plastic, and does not seem very durable at all. It really seemed like an over-sized toy, (it's HUGE!) as did the accessories and arrows (which were already falling apart out of the box). I sent it back and got a refund, I would rather just pay more for a quality bow and arrow set.
on June 6, 2015
Although I know nothing about archery, my granddaughter does and wanted her own bow and arrow. Obviously, I should have consulted someone more knowledgable. The bow has been idle since it arrived due to the flimsy construction. Very disappointed.
on December 30, 2011
Since it just came in the mail I cant say how the bow preforms but I am disappointed that the PICTURE SHOWN IS NOT WHAT CAME TO MY DOOR. We got one that looks like "Bear Archery Wizard Bow" a straight bow listed on amazon for 1/2 the price of the one we paid for (though it is a bit smaller) NOT A RECURVE AS SHOWN. The following taken from Wikipedia.."A recurve bow has tips that curve away from the archer when the bow is strung." I am not sure if I should return it or not?
on November 8, 2013
My 12 year old is very much an amateur, also a lefty who uses either hand. For her this is a good bow at the right price. I don't know archery but I find this comfortable to use as well.It is probably not for the expert but I think it's a good durable starter set. The arrows were terrible, falling apart as soon as they hit something hard, I have since replaced them with a different set.
on July 25, 2013
Not top end by any means but this set-up has worked just fine for my daughter who wanted to try out archery. Hers is lightly used. When my kids show an interest in something I like to get something that works but not spend a ton of $$ until I know the interest is more serious. Like I said hers is lightly used and she only grabs it every month or so. It was a birthday gift and she loved it when opened. Oh ya, quiver, armguard and finger guard are useless. Price was right. Arrows ok for how they are used.