4.0 out of 5 stars The Early Bear Gets the... Worm?
"Early to Bed, Early to Rise" is another in a series of "Bear in the Big Blue House" video releases ported to DVD. This DVD includes two episodes from the video release --- "Go to Sleep" and "Morning Glory" and adds in "A Winter's Nap."

"Go to Sleep"

Published on October 1, 2005 by George Buttner

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, my son found it boring
My son loves Barney and Little People and would watch those for hours if I would let him (no way). I bought this DVD because I wanted to encourage him with tooth brushing and bed habits with a fun video. And, it took Bear and all of his friends...what seemed to be an hour of video...to get to bed! I was bored to tears. My toddler didn't last very long at all. The bed...
Published on December 30, 2008 by R. Myers

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The Early Bear Gets the... Worm?, October 1, 2005
George Buttner "Agent0042" (Dayton, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Bear in the Big Blue House - Early to Bed, Early to Rise (DVD)

"Go to Sleep"

Ojo stays over for the night at the Big Blue House. Bear helps her to get to sleep and then decides to turn in himself, when the doorbell rings. It turns out that his friends Jeremiah and Doc Hog have shown up for a card game, which Bear completely forgot about. Now Bear has to take care of them, while also seeing that Ojo isn't disturbed, as well as Tutter, who's sleeping in his mousehole. Featuring a great song from Shadow, "Rockabye," about how shadows watch over you at night.

"Morning Glory"

Bear helps everybody in the Big Blue House to get up in the morning after a sleepover, but some have more trouble rising than others. Once everybody is up, though, they're ready and raring for morning activities --- but not before enjoying a nice breakfast. Treelo just wants to play, play, play, but Bear and everyone else manage to convince him that it would be better to have some breakfast first. Featuring an old-favorite "Bear in the Big Blue House" song --- "Brush Brush Bree."

"A Winter's Nap"

Winter has come to Woodland Valley and Bear would like nothing more than a nice nap. However, he never quite seems to make it to the nap, as he has to help out his friends in the Big Blue House. Sleep evades Bear, but his friends have a nice surprise for him.

Like all of the other "Bear in the Big Blue House" DVDs, there aren't really any good special features on this. You only get the option to jump to songs from the episodes and previews for other Disney TV Shows and movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD for toddlers!, September 6, 2005
This is another excellent DVD in the "Bear in the Big Blue House" series. It has episodes concerning: going to sleep, "Go to Sleep"; starting a brand new day, "Morning Glory"; and napping, "A Winter's Nap".

"Go to Sleep" covers ways to lull yourself off to dreamland, even though you may not think you're tired, and the importance of a good night's sleep for a good day tomorrow.

"Morning Glory introduces Ray, the sun, who sings a good morning song with Bear. The episode incorporates the importance of breakfast, brushing your teeth, how different people take different amounts of time to wake up, getting morning chores done and how having a good morning can influence the rest of your day.

The message on the "A Winter's Nap" episode is a little strange, however. The episode is supposed to be about Bear and Tutter, the mouse, trying to take naps during the day, but neither one can seem to manage it due to various things going on in the house. In the end they both throw in the towel and join in the fun in a "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" mentality. While the rest of the episode talks about naps and how to get cozy and fall asleep, how good they are for you, etc., I really didn't understand the "Oh, well, can't nap? No big deal" message that came out near the end. Other than that though, it was a cute episode.

The character Shadow, whose segments I usually find a little creepy, is more down to earth in these and there are less of the cut-out shadow people scenes and more of Shadow just singing songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Safety in the Shadows, August 20, 2001
Alicia Jeffrey (Walnut Creek, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I watch this video almost every day with my 10 month old - it's part of her bedtime routime to watch the nightime episode - and I love to sing Shadow's song to her as we watch it - it is such a beautiful song... and my husband loves to sing "Good Morning" with her when we wake up... this is by far our favorite Bear video - and we have many! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars 20-month old son loves Ray, February 13, 2001
By A Customer
My son loves Bear and the Big Blue House. Previous videos did not include his favorite character, Ray, enough. This one has a lot of the characters involved in the segments that aren't normally seen. I would recommend Bear to all parents. Each segment usually tries to convey an important lesson to the children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Bear Video out there!, February 15, 2003
Mariska Visser (Newburyport, MA United States) - See all my reviews
Of all the shows on video, these two shows on this tape are by far the best. The music is phenomenal, and storylines carry a positive, important message. My son now LOVES anything that looks like the sun (Ray, in the show), and already loved the moon (Luna) from other shows.
If you buy any, make sure you get this one! I am now purchasing my second, because the first tape is worn out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some of Bear's Best, July 12, 2001
By A Customer
Of the eight Bear videos we have purchased, this is our favorite!
I would recommend this tape solely on the basis of the character variety (we get to meet some of Bear's other friends like Ray the sun, Doc Hogg, and Jeremiah the turtle), but that's not what made me want to buy the tape. The most compelling reason to purchase this tape is the beautiful song Shadow sings in the first episode "Go To Sleep". Shadow's stories are usually corny and funny twists on nursery rhymes, but never until now have I been so moved emotionally by any of her scenes. This entirely beautiful song teaches children to be comforted by shadows when they try to go to sleep, not to be frightened by them.
Our 23-month old loves watching Bear, and this is one of his 2 favorite Bear tapes along with volume 1 of the series. We as parents loved this tape as the best of the bunch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty and friendly and funny, April 28, 2007
Criteria for a children's video:

1. Do kids like it? Yes, my toddler loves this, sings along, and asks me to sing along, too.

2. Can the parents watch it without going bonkers? Yep, so far, so good, every time I see it again I notice new things. The puppets are sophisticated and the characters distinct. The music is fabulous, mostly inspired by modern American folk--how great to hear simple fiddle music and guitar instead of overproduced "showtunes." The simple music also means that if I sing the songs afterward, it sounds close to what my child remembers from the show.

3. Since kids will copy anything they see on TV or in a book, what is going on in this video? Gentle humor, good manners, good music. All things I'm glad to see her emulate.

That's the bare bones (ha!) of liking this series. But it goes beyond the basic. __Bear__ has subtle messages about food, getting along, and social differences. For instance, in one episode, Tutter the mouse is eating a sandwich, which he must learn to share. OK, we could see that coming. BUT! Without making a big deal over, it, the producers made the sandwich on whole wheat bread, quietly supporting good nutrition.

Another example or two; when Ojo the bear cub sleeps over, Bear makes her bed, very cozy, on the couch. When they have a birthday party (in a different episode), it's home made decorations and one meaningful present. A quiet message that you don't have to have a great deal of money to have a good time.

And there are significant female characters (Ojo, Shadow, Luna) who aren't made into gooey subservients as in so many kids videos (or feature films, for that matter).

Bear is the leader of the series, but often sings harmony to some other character, giving a simple message that you don't always have to be number one.

Hooray for Bear!

5.0 out of 5 stars One that YOU can watch over and over again!, August 24, 2005
LC (Oxford, PA) - See all my reviews
OK, call me selfish, but when looking for a DVD for my son to watch, I am hoping to find something that I can watch over and over again without going crazy. This is it. I love the bear, the big blue house, and all of his friends (coincidentally, so does my son). This one has great messages for kids about bedtime even when you don't want to sleep, the importance of breakfast, cleaning the house, and naptime!

5.0 out of 5 stars We love Bear!, June 15, 2001
Mo Mommy (Missouri, USA) - See all my reviews
My 3-year-old son loves these videos. He often says, "I want 'Big Blue House'", and sings and talks along while the videos are on. This particular video was one of my recent purchases for him. Luna is one of my favorite characters in the show; she has such a beautiful voice and a reassuring presence, and Ray the sun, who is also featured in this video, is very likable as well. The whole video is great (although I agree with those who say there are too many previews at the beginning!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great educational video!, December 17, 2012
Wonderful video, with characters your child wil fall in love with. Each "Bear in the Bid Blue House" provides a great message. My kids have been watching them for two years and still love them.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›