5.0 out of 5 stars Nice iPad case for the $ (updated review for new case)
I just received the case today, and my initial impression of it is pretty good. I will state my reason for purchasing this particular case had to do with the great reviews for the previous generation Bear Motion case for the iPad2. I wanted something of quality at a decent price, and it had a pretty great rating. Now onto my review...

The case comes packaged...
Published on March 12, 2012 by Devin Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars Bearmotion iPad 3 Case vs Bearmotion iPad 2 Case
Published on March 12, 2012 by file_id.diz

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice iPad case for the $ (updated review for new case), March 12, 2012
This review is from: Bear Motion (TM) 100% Genuine Leather Case for iPad2 / iPad 3 (the new iPad) / iPad 4 with built-in Stand - Support auto sleep/awake function (Black) (Electronics)

The case comes packaged in a transparent plastic bag, and one of the first things I noticed were the words: Made in China. (This concerned me a little in terms of quality, but I know most things are these days. I guess it's one thing it has in common with the iPad.) Upon sliding the plastic bag open like a ziplock bag, I took the product out. It comes in a velvety, felt-like bag and I thought this was a nice little addition to protect the case when traveling, etc. Even the plastic ziplock bag could be reused to hold the case if you wanted to add another layer of protection when on the go.

When I first took the case out of the bag, I noticed a chemical-like smell. I'm guessing this has to do with what the leather was treated with? Now that it has aired out, it has gotten much better. (Not a huge negative, but it was something I did notice.)

In terms of quality, the case I have seems pretty well stitched together and solid. The magnets hold the case shut well, but I do wonder how longterm use will affect the corners on top of the iPad on the inside of the case. (Will they fold up after extended use of the magnets pulling on them? We'll see...) The stand works as intended and the case feels nice to the touch--it's not too heavy or bulky. The iPad slips into the left side of the open case and secures with a velcro strip and a fold of leather that slips under the iPad. (My particular velcro strip seems a little loose, so we'll see how that works out.) I'm sure the case will protect and hold my iPad securely in case of an accidental drop. Thankfully I don't think I'll be dropping it as often as my smaller iPhone due to the size, so I don't believe I'll need an extreme level of protection like I have on my phone. Also, since the new iPad is almost exactly the same size as the last one, I'm sure it's going to fit well when I receive it later this week.

My last leather case purchase was for my Kindle, and I spent about $75 on that case. It didn't take long for that case to "bleed" onto my Kindle, so I was constantly wiping the black streaks off. This case already seems much better than that case, and I'm sure I won't have the same problem. Plus, the price is much better!

Only time will tell how well this case holds up, but the company's customer service gives me confidence it will last. A one year unlimited warranty is pretty great, especially if you use the case everyday. I'm sure daily use over the course of a year will be enough to really test it. And even if you don't like the case or it doesn't hold up, you have nothing to lose by purchasing it. To me, that's comforting and what I'm looking for in a product. Even more, looking over the negative reviews, it's nice to see the company reach out to try and remedy the situation(s). It makes me content in my purchase.

Overall: I'm pleased. It's definitely worth the price I paid for it, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a nice leather case without a huge cost. I'm one who doesn't mind investing in something if it's going to protect my device, but I also don't mind saving some $$. If I can do both, I'm happy.

UPDATE 3-18-12: Having used the case for several days now, I have to admit: I really like it. The chemical smell has been replaced with the genuine leather smell now, and I honestly can't complain with the the way the case holds and fits the iPad and how it feels in my hands. As for the smart cover issue: that is a problem. When I bought the case, that wasn't really a selling point for me like it has been for other people, so it's not a big deal for me. Overall: still pleased.

UPDATE 3-26-12: I've contacted the seller about the replacement case and will update my review when I receive it. The customer service is really great!

UPDATE 4-3-12: I received the replacement case in no time, but I figured I would hold off on my review until I had time to use the case for a few days. The smart cover feature now works flawlessly, and the case is still just as impressive as the previous version. Again, the customer service is top notch. They respond quickly, are eager to resolve any issue, and best of all: they are extremely friendly. Honestly, other sellers could learn a few things from them. HIGHLY recommended. I'm completely satisfied.

UPDATE 7-17-12: Case is holding up well considering how much it is used and how often I toss my iPad into my bag for work. The edges where the magnets are on the inside still aren't folding up from opening the case repeatedly (which was a concern for me initially) and the stitching is 100% in tact. No issues whatsoever. Definitely worth the price!

UPDATE 3-18-13: After having this case for over a year now, it is still holding up. The only issue I've had is a small one: inside of the case at the bottom, some of leather has frayed. I guess it's a small issue considering the daily use. Great case!

3.0 out of 5 stars Bearmotion iPad 3 Case vs Bearmotion iPad 2 Case, March 12, 2012
My initial impressions when ordering this case would be that it would be a rebadged iPad 2 case. But this does not seem to be the case. The cutouts different. For one the case is slightly thicker on the Bearmotion iPad 3 case to accommodate the larger new iPad (3rd Generation) design of .37 inch instead of the iPad 2's .34 inch. The camera hole cutout iis also slightly larger to accommodate the new 5MP iSight camera lens size. and the microphone and front camera cutouts are different. The front fascia that borders the ipad screen seems to be beefier too. Last but not least both come with pouches to keep your leather case and ipad safe.

Pros
+ Better leather border on ipad (3rd generation case) vs Ipad 2 Case
+ Larger camera hole
+ Stitching quality is the same as the Bearmotion iPad 2 Case
+ Comes with soft carry bag (mine was brown)

Minuses
- Does not have the traditional leather smell. Case has a heavy chemical treated smell. Leading me to believe this is faux leather and not genuine leather like the Bearmotion iPad 2 Case even though it says genuine leather ont he packaging. This case retails for $19+shipping while the Bearmotion iPad 2 case is $35. The price difference is telling.
- Microphone cutout is kinda small and reduces the sound of recordings slightly compared to the ipad 2 case.

Conclusion:

Overall it is a good case for the price of $25, but I would pay the extra $10+ to get genuine leather, which I assumed this product would be. I give it a 3/5 stars.

This is my 3rd Bearmotion ipad case. This will be a comparison between the Bearmotion iPad 2 Case vs Bearmotion iPad 3 Case. You can see my previous Bearmotion iPad 2 case review here. + Bear Motion (TM) Genuine Leather Case for iPad 2 2nd Generation Folio with 3-in-1 built-in Stand for Apple iPad 2 (Latest Generation) Tablet (Brown)

--------

Updated: 3/16/2012

Decided to update my review and upload updated and better pictures comparing the two cases and fitment because some customers were thinking about using their old case with the new iPad. Please check the pictures on Amazon that I have uploaded.

+ FItment is spot on except for one minor gripe that I will go into.
+ Larger cutouts for front and rear camera are great and do not interfere with taking pictures.

- Leaving the case out for several days and the gasoline smell has dissipated, but still noticeable. This was not present on the iPad 2 Case.
- Cutout for microphone is small and actually dampens voice recordings based on my non-scientific test.

Please leave a comment if you would like to see any specific pictures or have any questions about both products. Overall I'm generally satisfied with the case besides those two minuses.

--------

Updated: 3/16/2012

Bearmotion has sent me an updated case that fixes the negatives I had with the original case like the cutout for the microphone the new case does not have the chemical smell. Thanks bearmotion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality case, although a little heavy and bulky, April 14, 2012
This is a fairly decent quality case. The magnets worked for waking/sleeping the new iPad 3 right off the bat. Unlike a lot of other cases, this case does not have any unsightly, gigantic logo that looks tacky, so it would be fitting for any kind of professional environment. The case does add quite a bit of bulk to the iPad and almost doubles the weight, so that's something you might want to consider when getting this case.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for., May 29, 2012
I spent a lot of time reading through reviews for leather iPad covers - I especially read the 5 star and 1 star ratings. My first reaction to the 1 star ratings on this cover was "Uh-oh!" but soon noticed that the manufacturer had responded to each and everyone of the complaints, and apparently made changes to their product accordingly. So I decided to give it a try.

I must say, I am very pleased with this cover. It feels great. The leather is soft and luxurious, and genuine. All the issues described in the reviews I had read including too small camera holes, strong smell, microphone holes, turn off function etc. have been addressed.

The stand works great in both positions, although when I place it upright on my duvet it does slip out because the bottom is not on stable ground, so the cover twists - but at this point I'm blaming the problem on my lazy butt, not the cover. It folds over like a softbound book and is a treat to hold. It also protects the cover well.

I would definitely recommend this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall best option available for ipad 3, March 26, 2012
This is what I would expect to get for 25 bucks. You wont be blown away by the quality but it's good enough to keep. It appears to be good quality and a snug fit. The sleep / wake feature works fine. If you need a case, I have not seen any others that have the sleep / wake feature working. As for the leather "smell" it is minimal on mine. It doesnt bother me. It smells to me like treated leather.

I did not have to deal with customer support since the product was delivered as promised, and quicker than the estimate. From other reviews it is very good, making this a good buy.

My only complaint which I think isnt a big deal is there is not very good corner protect on two corners (top and bottom on the opening side). I would like to see better protection in case it drops on the corner. I have seen covers that better wrap the corners. While this is a 95% improvement over no case, that would be my suggestion for a btter case and the reason for 4 stars. The leather does hang past the ipad, but not by much. The perfect drop ( I don't plan to drop it) will hit the ipad directly.

Still worth the buy though, but if I could find a better corner protecting case I may be tempted to go that route.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blow your socks off Customer Service, March 19, 2012
9:01 pm - I emailed ProBiz customer service that the case I just received fails to put my IPAD third generation unit into sleep mode.

9:05 pm - Reply received letting me know that the problem has been corrected. Apple changed the way the sleep mode mechanism works on the new iPad. Most case manufacturers were not made aware of this.

Making this a hassle free experience, they are going to ship me a replacement case, when available later this week.

WOW! A 3 minute investment of my time, followed 4 minutes later with an informative no hassle response and resolution.

Bravo ProBiz!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good case with minor issues, April 9, 2012
I never had the ipad2 and the case for it, so I can't comment on that, but I do know that this case for the ipad 3 is very well made. Nice even stitching, leather isn't too thin and not thick either. It does add weight, of course, but it's not too heavy when carrying in my bag. The smart cover function DOES work. I was initially concerned with the cover because it was stiff, that when closing the flap, it tented back up at the seam where you would bend to make it stand and the ipad would wake up again. But with use, the leather is more pliable and eventually the cover laid flat. There was a strong smell when it first arrived, but it literally disappeared overnight.

Only real complaint is that some apps are meant to be played in portrait view only (ahem draw something) so I can't use the smart cover folding options to sit it up, as it only can fold into landscape view. But this is an issue I found with other ipad cases, not just Bear Motion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good design - GREAT service!, May 31, 2012
The case itself fits the iPad great and the stands worked great. The material looks like genuine leather, it is soft and comfortable to hold. Sadly, after probably less than 2 months of use, the stitching around the back edge (below camera hole) has basically come apart fully. It now looks cheap and untidy. I liked it while I used it, should have lasted a lot longer at this price.

Update - 6/24/12 - sorry I should have done this sooner. The company's service was fantastic! They sent me a replacement which I received within 3-4 days of contacting them. Going from 4 to 5 stars!

2.0 out of 5 stars really wanted to love the case..., April 6, 2012
received mine today. i really wanted to love the case as it had great reviews by a lot of people here on amazon and i've read customer service is top notch.

unfortunately... whenever i receive my iPad case, i take very lightly damp paper towel to wipe down the case before putting my iPad inside... cleaning the outside leather was no problem. also no problem was cleaning the inner left jacket of the case... however a big problem rises when cleaning the right inner sides of the case. a lot of black paint started coming off all over the paper towel. i mean... black black ink started rubbing all over the towel.

i mean... most of u will prob say no big deal or... ur not suppose to take a very light damp paper towel to clean an iPad case... but for those of u that do clean ur case... this is a big problem. obviously it won't get the iPad as dirty because it's made of aluminum and it'll easily wipe off, but my iPad is protected with invisible shield (i.e., zagg or in my case bestskinsever) and the blank ink will rub off the shield and will not come off. i've had similar problems with a different iPad 2 case and it left black residues that would not go away off the invisible shield.

anyway. if u don't care about that stuff go ahead and buy the case. the leather feels great! and yes there's a velcro that protects the iPad from slipping out. one suggestion i make to the manufacturer is protector the corners of the iPad pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeees...

thanks

2.0 out of 5 stars Smart Cover function doesn't work., March 16, 2012
SB "SB" (NY United States) - See all my reviews
I ordered this case for the new iPad. The Smart Cover function (auto on/off) does not work, and this was not in the product description when I ordered it a few days ago. It should not really be sold as a new iPad/iPad3 case until this is fixed. Apart from this defect the case fits well and protects the iPad. I was going to return the case, but it does work with my wife's iPad 2 (including the Smart Cover function) and she has kept it.