5.0 out of 5 stars Simply put - Brilliant.
Mara Altman's latest is probably the funniest thing I've read since...Sparkle. I literally laughed out loud alone in my apartment from start to finish. This is exactly what every woman wishes she could say but is entirely too terrified to do it. She's even more honest in her writing than I am in my own head. She dares to do what none of us will and it's bold, to say the...
Published on March 9, 2012 by LDH

3.0 out of 5 stars Bearded Lady, Funny but NOT at the same time.
I bought this book based on reviews that its funny. I wanted to read a comic book as a break. Don't get be wrong, she starts with humor narrating her experiences, trauma, and struggle of every women, the unwanted body hairs. But then, she deviates from her personal narration of her experiences to interviews. She gets into peoples opinion why is it ok or not ok to remove...
Published on March 25, 2012 by ladylucious

‹ Previous | 14 5 622 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Candid, heartfelt and hilarious, March 18, 2012
This review is from: Bearded Lady (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
Mara brought to surface something many females struggle with and spend a great deal of time and money mitigating, with unabashed humor and candor. Hair, and this particular aspect of hair, is one of a litany of issues we deal with such as weight and skin, but Bearded Lady made me wonder why we never had a conversation about this sooner. I thoroughly enjoyed the honesty Mara poured into the telling of her story and like some of the reviewers mentioned, definitely saw a reflection of myself in her journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars None, March 15, 2012
Ashley (Arkansas,USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bearded Lady (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
I fell in love with this book. It was everything a good book should be and more. Funny, charming, sweet. I loved that Mara was as insecure about hair as I am. I felt like ss talking just to me! Everdy should read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars real insight, March 14, 2012
This review is from: Bearded Lady (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
Altman is funny and brave. To her male readers she gives valuable insights to aspects of women's lives we rarely witness. She also shows us how to have an honest conversation about the private in this everything-is-public world. I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining!, March 14, 2012
This review is from: Bearded Lady (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
Following on from "Sparkle", this is another terrific read from Mara Altman. She has the unique ability to make common life occurrences jump off the page and into the brain. Witty and personal. Can't wait for her next piece!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Shared Experience, March 13, 2012
This review is from: Bearded Lady (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
Mara did it again, she turned our most secret places into a place for laughter
and even healing, without really trying. The shared experience is a miraculous thing.

I've spent my life behind closed doors secretly grooming away the inevitable.
It's a necessary evil, I accept that and I'm not about to bring my tweezers out in public,
but that feeling of shame doesn't feel so sharp. Bringing it into the light
makes it easier to bear.

Mara has the ability to address some of our deepest fears (as women) with compassion,
but more importantly, her very own brand of humor. Reading her piece is like having a
sleepover with your best friend, sharing the scar on your knee where you fell down and
felt ashamed, and hearing her say "me too" ... Not the "bearded" part, but you follow me.

You're one of the most beautiful women, I've ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed so hard that I think I broke something, March 12, 2012
This review is from: Bearded Lady (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
This kindle single was so funny I actually cried laughing twice. It gave me the kind of catharsis that comedy is supposed to - I feel differently about my "errant hairs". This is a subject that almost all women I know are (secretly or not) uptight about and this author (may awesomeness follow her all the days of her life) was ballsey enough to look at and write about. And instead of being a dry academic third person thing or a rage-y political manifesto, Ms. Altman does the most radical thing and tells the story of her beautifully human neurotic relationship with hair. This short piece of literature made it easier for me to be a woman in the 21st century and I laughed off a month of stress. Best 2 bucks I've spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes!!, March 12, 2012
CLS (new york, ny) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bearded Lady (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
This piece is wonderful. If you are a human with hair you MUST read this!! Altman is hysterical and brave in her hairy revelations. I loved it. Yes!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mara's Best Yet, March 11, 2012
Greg Wolff (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bearded Lady (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
Terrific. Funny, insightful, sees the world from a slightly different angle, but that's true of all of Mara's writing. With each piece, she just gets better. The timing and pace are perfect. It's killer funny without trying because it touches all of us where we live; in a world of insecurities and fears and feelings of being not quite good enough. Mara reminds us that we're not alone and gently prods us not to take ourselves quite so seriously. Read it. You'll be happy you did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good read. Glad to know I'm not alone., August 14, 2014
This review is from: Bearded Lady (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
This book was really great. I suffer from PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) and one of the symptoms are excessive hair growth (mainly facial hair) because the body produces more testosterone than it should. Going through puberty, I got teased for having side burns, hair on my upper lip, hairy legs, you name it. Mara Altman had a humorous take on being a hairy female. It made me feel less self conscious about my hair. I probably won't stop shaving anytime soon, but I learned a valuable lesson -- don't sweat it, it's just hair.

5.0 out of 5 stars ENJOY, June 28, 2014
This book is short
Funny and real.
Its light reading.
If you have read her other books itd vrry nuch the same style.

‹ Previous | 14 5 622 | Next ›

Bearded Lady (Kindle Single)
$1.99