Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bearded Lady (Kindle Single)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$1.99

on March 19, 2012
Altman has done another brave thing here. Everything she says is everything I have always been afraid to share, only funnier. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard. Thanks, Mara, for making me the crazy lady in the coffee shop laughing aloud to her herself while proudly stroking her whiskers.
on October 24, 2012
This Kindle Single is a quick, entertaining read. Altman has a great voice and writing style. Any woman will enjoy it because we all partake of some kind of hair removal ritual. She actually dips a little bit into why we do it, but it would take a PhD dissertation to even begin to explain that!
on February 13, 2014
VERY FUNNY ACCOUNT OF HORMONE RIDDEN FACTS OF LIFE!! Short entertaining story , the greatest fear at this stage is to fall into a coma without the luxury of night-time elves to tweeze out the little tough black facial hairs which post menopausal women have to endure!
on July 22, 2012
With a background in journalism, Mara Altman's account of her (and others) hair removal flies by pretty quickly. Her Kindle Single, BEARDED LADY feels like a mini-documentary: one of the Morgan Spurlock variety. Altman begins with story with her own introspection and history concerning excess body hair before she turns her focus on the world-at-large. Composed of both a personal account and interviews with other people, BEARDED LADY covers a ton of ground. It's largely funny, but there are a few times when the narrative slows in the interviews. The single is short though, but at $1.99, this feels like a good deal.

While there is some vulgar language (just a warning, if you're offended by it), Altman's personal account is hilarious and honest. As someone who is not bearded, nor a lady, I found BEARDED LADY to be a pretty satisfying read. I would recommend it to many of my female friends who I've heard complaining publicly about shaving their legs. :)
on November 12, 2013
This short story was hilarious! I too suffer from chin hair and have tried many of the things the author has mentioned. This book is very inspiring and let's us know that we're not alone in our hairiness. A must read!!
on April 22, 2012
I bought this book because some reviewers found it highly amusing as in "you will laugh out loud." I don't know--maybe it takes more to make me laugh out loud as I didn't, although I did manage a chuckle once or twice. I read this book in an hour and 45 minutes and forced myself to finish it as it was like reading a term paper on body hair. I have empathy for women who have this issue but I guess I expected more of a comedic story line rather than reading how the author had too much body hair and then all the reasons for it and the reasons why people do or do not get rid of it. I would not recommend this book unless you were very interested in the wheres and why fors of excess body hair.
on March 12, 2012
This kindle single was so funny I actually cried laughing twice. It gave me the kind of catharsis that comedy is supposed to - I feel differently about my "errant hairs". This is a subject that almost all women I know are (secretly or not) uptight about and this author (may awesomeness follow her all the days of her life) was ballsey enough to look at and write about. And instead of being a dry academic third person thing or a rage-y political manifesto, Ms. Altman does the most radical thing and tells the story of her beautifully human neurotic relationship with hair. This short piece of literature made it easier for me to be a woman in the 21st century and I laughed off a month of stress. Best 2 bucks I've spent.
on December 31, 2014
Loved this! Reading so many of your thoughts is odd, hilarious, and comforting. Loved hearing I'm not the only one that has made a pack with a friend if either of us are in a coma etc. Loved her honesty and one liners
on June 9, 2013
Best part of this short story is the author's first several paragraphs setting the scene for her and her interaction between the waiter at the Mexican restaurant...after that, it just becomes a tireless manifesto on a woman's' quest to be hairless. Sure, there were a few more enjoyable parts and some colorful, well written quips, but I was expecting so much more from this Kindle Single....I really wanted to like it, but it just didn't hold my attention like I was hoping it would.
on July 5, 2014
I consider myself a hairy beast a freak of nature at times so I can relate. This is what made me want to read this book :) it's a part of life and ladies we just have to EMBRACE IT AND DEAL WITH IT LOL