• Looks at the band's beginnings, in and the influence, of the New York art-punk scene
• Shows how, loud and obnoxious about their rampant eclecticism, the Beastie Boys initially made a lot of veteran musicians and music critics uneasy
• Examines the playful blend of rock and rap, pop and underground, old and new that became the Beastie Boys M.O. and a defining characteristic of their career
• A timeline captures key events in the life of the band and its members
• Photos show the band members and their performances
• A selected discography reviews the band's work over the years
No matter where they focused their energies, the Beastie Boys have defined success by their own standards. The New York City trio—Michael Diamond, Adam "MCA" Yauch, and Adam "Ad-Rock" Horovitz—are a force of nature, still going strong after 20 years and 40 million records sold.