5.0 out of 5 stars 25 Years Late, But Worth The Wait
OK, so if we generalize and say that New Wave music basically ran from 1977 to 1985 (quiet in the back), and we also acknowledge that it had a tremendously defining effect on those of us labeled Generation X, then one has to wonder why it has taken twenty-something years for so much of it to be released on CD (ironically, just as the CD format itself is waning.)...
Published on April 18, 2009 by oxxo

3.0 out of 5 stars One Album Too Many?
Like the previous reviewer it's hard to believe that I bought this album and it's associated singles a quarter of a century ago.

Visage were a shining light in the early 80s. Their first two albums, the self-titled debut and the superb underrated "Anvil" were both chock full of catchy singles and killer album tracks.

Maybe I'm being a little unfair...
Published on May 29, 2009 by Coincidence Vs Fate

5.0 out of 5 stars 25 Years Late, But Worth The Wait, April 18, 2009
oxxo (san francisco) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beat Boy (Audio CD)

The reason is that us Gen Xers are gettin' old (I regret having scoffed so at "The Big Chill") and we're apparently the only ones still buying CDs.

The good news is that reissues are now typically remastered and expanded to include b-sides and/or remixes. Beat Boy is no exception, having four extra tracks. Cherry Red is one of the foremost reissue labels--and while many record nerds nit-pick them to death--the label does have a rapidly expanding catalog of New Wave era reissues. Another plus for Cherry Red is that their titles tend to stay in print awhile, unlike EMI and Polydor.

If you're one of those record nerds (like me), yes Beat Boy is mastered ONLY from the Universal original master tapes--no vinyl. That said, I can't say that the mastering is especially good, being only slightly better than Cherry Red's "Anvil" release (which has to be the flattest, deadest mastering ever.)

This is Visage's third and final album, and there's not a real stinker on it. Admittedly, four minutes of Steve Strange chanting "Only The Good Die Young" isn't brilliant material, nor is "Give Me The Love Glove/I'll Give You Love", but they're appealing nonetheless. And while Love Glove and Beat Boy were the singles, the real standout track for me is Yesterday's Shadow.

Note that at time of writing, the CD ships with a different cover than the one pictured. I'll post the actual cover image as well. The alternate cover (without wording) is included in the booklet.

3.0 out of 5 stars One Album Too Many?, May 29, 2009
This review is from: Beat Boy (Audio CD)

Maybe I'm being a little unfair but "Beat Boy" suffers from the departure of the main creative forces of messrs Ure and Currie. The lead single "Love Glove" was a pale imitation of previous singles such as "The Damned Don't Cry", "Night Train".

This album does have it's moments, but it really just makes the listener hanker for the relative safety of the first album.

Cherry Red do deserve credit here though. Over the last few months they have unearthed some great 80s nuggets and hopefully this is the first of many more released over the next few years.

For those who have never heard "Beat Boy", I would certainly recommend you buy it and give it a listen, but don't expect to hear anything up to the quality of the first two albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally I found My Gem, April 4, 2008
This review is from: Beat Boy (Vinyl)
I am a very big fan of this outrageous new romantic band( although Steve Strange didn't consider his band under this genre). There are a few songs I like on this album, but I don't care... I wanted the last album Steve did with his bandmates before everything turned upside down on him(so sad he was so creative musically and fashionably and for a gay guy, which I'm a straight girl; he was adorable and sensual in a freaky way. I wish I grew up then when real people were famous. Thankyou Amazon for giving me this album and all my other Visage albums I love electronic and the new romantic sound!

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally misunderstood album, November 16, 2010
Chris Truscott (Wellington, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beat Boy (Audio CD)
When this was released back in 1985-it was available on import so i forked out $30nz for it.I fell for this record bigtime.

Late 80's I managed to buy it on cassette (The dance mix edition) and wondered why and stil now why it took so long to release this on cd.

I would love Cherry pop to release the dance mix edition on cd

I have the cassette still and it still plays briliant after all these years

Long live the 80's

5.0 out of 5 stars excelente album, horrible impresion (booklet)!!!, May 31, 2009
This review is from: Beat Boy (Audio CD)
este disco lo tuve en copia pirata y hoy por fin lo tengo en original y dejenme decirles que vale la pena...

es uno de mis discos favoritos de la decada de los 80 y a mi juicio es el mejor disco de Visage indudablemente. muy bien logrado e inspirado en la composicion. Los temas adicionales o bonus track, sinceramente no estan buenos y no son rescatables mas los temas originales del disco si que son una obra de arte dentro de su genero y de la musica que en aquellos años circulaba.

lo que si debo decir es que me decepciono la impresion de la portada; un verdadero asco!!! La original es la que amazon muestra aqui, es decir la cara del tipo con fondo violeta, pero la que llega en el disco es una porqueria que hace merito al peor de los gustos del diseño.

no le doy 5 estrellas por los bonus track que creo no son para recordarlos ni para entusiasmarse (2 remixes flojos y 2 temas adicionales para el olvido) y por la horrible portada que alguien decidio nos iba a gustar. asi que queda en 4 estrellas nomas; si hubiera el disco tenido su portada original y hubiera obviado esos feos bonus track, las 5 estrellas estarian garantizadas.

marco

3.0 out of 5 stars I too am disappointed., May 17, 2010
This review is from: Beat Boy (Audio CD)
Well, Like all of the others here - I bought the original LP of "Beat Boy" way back in 1984. I haven't had an LP player for years. I've had the CD versions of the "Visage" and "The Anvil" since I can't remember when. So, I was all excited when I saw this finally released ! I had the 12" versions of "Love Glove" and "Beat Boy" as well so it was nice to see them included in the long awaited CD Release. Looking back, I also can't believe why I thought I liked the LP so much. OK, my favourite song on the LP was "Questions" and I still like that song because I think the Saxophone on it is really good. However, most of the other songs are average. I do like the 12" versions of Beat Boy (OK, it's a bit long) and "Love Glove" as they are as good as anything else.

But - I have to say - I've waited 25 years for this to be released and - frankly - it wasn't really worth the wait. OK - so I have the "set" now ! I can't imagine my playing it too many times, though....

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't age particularly well, April 17, 2010
This review is from: Beat Boy (Audio CD)
I'd looked forward to the CD reissue of this recording for many years - I'm afraid I'm dating myself - and upon listening to 'Beat Boy' after so many years I'm afraid time has not been kind to it. 6:49 minutes of the single 'Beat Boy' is 3 minutes too long. There are some good idea's here - I think Visage beat Power Station to the punch with their attempts at a Dance Rock hybrid (listen to 'Casualty') but much of the material suffers from over extended arrangements. Clearly they missed the input of Midge Ure to say 'enough' and cut the songs off earlier than allowed. The bonus tracks of 'Beat Boy [Dance mix]' and 'Love Glove [Long version]' are nice inclusions, but 'She's a Machine' becomes tedious quickly and 'Der Amboss' was just a poor idea to begin with - needless Bowie worship. The whole affair lacks the impact of earlier efforts 'Visage' or 'The Anvil' and is best left to the completist fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good club new wave album. Great remaster, September 2, 2014
This review is from: Beat Boy (Audio CD)
Good album. Not as solid as the 2nd entry, but this has some good songs on it. Great re-master as well. Doesn't get any better in terms of quality.

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be worse!, May 19, 2009
This review is from: Beat Boy (Audio CD)
I bought this album in vinyl form when it was released. looking back on it, I can't imagine why. This is in the running for the worst album that I have ever purchased.

The vocal stylings are rediculously bad. They could have used Midge Ure still. If you want a king sized laugh, take a look at the lyrics for ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG. insipid at best.

I want you to know that I appreciate a super diverse amount of music and am not in the habit of beating up bands just because the music isn't my style. This is not the case here.

It is just BAD.
don't waste your time or money.

Beat Boy
Beat Boy by Visage (Audio CD - 2009)