VINE VOICEon August 9, 2010
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I had one of the earlier versions of the Picture Perfect Weight Loss books, and I must say this is MUCH more comprehensive. Because this one is specifically geared toward diabetes prevention & control, up front it includes a lot of information about the causes of the disease and risks that it involves. I thought a lot of this info was very clearly stated and easy to understand for pretty much anyone. The basics of the "diet" plan (which is really a lifestyle more than a diet) are also very easy to understand and apply. I like that they include the WHY of the foods they want you to eat so that you can feel you're making your own educated choices.

Another really nice added feature is that many recipes for healthy dishes are included this time. Previous books had just shown how you can eat a lot of healthy food vs a little junk food for the same amount of calories. This one not only suggests what you should eat, but gives you ideas on fun ways to prepare it. Like the other books, this one is laid out nicely, easy to read, and fully of really yummy-looking photos.

Unfortunately, I have several issues with the information being passed along here:

1) Over and over they highly recommend artificial sweeteners to enjoy throughout your day so you never have to go without your favorite sweets. I recognize that sugar is the enemy for diabetics, but artificial sweeteners come with their own set of risks and these are never mentioned. How about trying some fruit before washing down your sugar-free jellybeans with a case of diet soda? That's not real food.

2) They STRONGLY recommend that you replace pretty much all the meat and dairy in your diet with soy-based replacements. Soy is another nutrient that has some drawbacks along with its benefits, and while most can enjoy it in moderation it really isn't right for everyone. Potential dangers are NEVER mentioned and they have recommendations for how to include it in every single meal of your day! Again, I don't mind a little soy here & there but at least give full disclosure on the risks so the consumer can make an educated choice.

3) This is a small matter, but they devote one full page to the subject of salt. Their recommendation is: have all you want. They even mention that "you may have heard it's not good for your blood pressure" and go on to imply that it's really not THAT bad and if you like your vegetables salted, then go ahead and salt the crap out of them. I understand that their main goal is to get you to eat more vegetables, but to not even include a caveat like "If your doctor has you on a low-salt diet due to an existing heart condition..." is just plain dangerous. ESPECIALLY considering that they already recommend pre-packaged soy-based fake meats which are extremely high in sodium! I really wanted to give this book to my mom, but she has congestive heart failure along with diabetes and I fear she will see that as permission to go off the diet her doctor has her on (which she ignores most of the time anyway, unfortunately, but I don't want to give her any more reason to ignore her doctors).

4) They really want you to get all your protein from soy, beans, and fish, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but their stance is that All Beef And Chicken Is Bad. Also all dairy. Granted they can't go in depth on every single subject and they don't want to muddy the issue too much, but if you are able to get grass-fed beef and organically raised cage-free chickens, they're not nearly as bad for you as the factory farmed stuff. Many people have access to small farms nowadays that often yield very healthy, lean, chemical-free meats & dairy, but this alternative is never mentioned. Personally I believe that a locally raised grass-fed burger is better for you than a soy version full of sodium and other chemicals to make it taste like beef, but that's just me.

If you have absolutely no other health problems besides diabetes, and are willing to take some of the fake-food advice with a grain, it's really not a bad book. It is easy to read and has some very good recipes. Just do your own research on the side and make sure you are eating what is really right for you.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 24, 2010
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
i own and enjoyed Dr. Shapiro's previous picture book of choices for dieters. this book, presumably for diabetics, follows the same format: regular vs. choices lower in fat and glucose. my main objection is that it relies much too often on substituting 'regular' foods which are easily available, with special diet items which often contain additives and fixatives whose effects on health have not been established. for instance, regular bread is eliminated in favor of 'lite' bread, regular sweets are replaced by sugar free items, meats by non-meat (veggie) imitations of sausages, deli items...
the recipes are interesting but it would require some effort to obtain the specific ingredients, specially if you do not live near a good health food store.

an interesting book to read, but not one i would depend on to improve my diet.
on August 16, 2010
Format: Paperback
Any diabetic knows that blood glucose raises come from carbohydrates that you ingest, and how ones body processes those carbohydrates. So, to have a book where all the recipes in it do not list carbohydrate amounts, is just incredulous. Its main focus is basically on getting you to change your dietary habits to non-processed, healthy foods, and to cut down on animal sources of protein, and replace with soy alternatives. It is not as Vegan and regimented as Dr. Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes, but it does hit on many of the same points and reasons for cutting down on animal protein sources, and decreasing fat intake.

I agree that you should cut down on fats, and processed foods...but, that is true for all of America; for a diabetic, one needs to address the fact that diabetes is about carbohydrates and insulin resistance. And, his book neglects this vital part. This is a MAJOR flaw, and is the reason I give it only one star.

The book contains some information that is similar to other diets, and frankly doesn't have anything new or revolutionary that you could not find in a simple Weight Watcher's magazine. The only thing in it that I thought was valuable is its idea of a diabetic pyramid in which non-starchy vegetables and protein were bottom tiers. But, that also is not new. South Beach and Zone both have that same dietary advice.

In addition, the recipes in it are very fancy, and some of the ingredients are not your everyday run of the mill stuff you could find in your local supermarket. Some are time consuming, and would not appeal to my working Mom schedule.

As to the pictorial part of the book, well you could get the same pictorial fun from Eat This Not That books.

As a diabetic who has lost 100 pounds, I would NOT recommend this book at all. If I had followed this book, I do not think I could have boasted an under 5.5% a1c.... And, I am not sure I could have adhered to this diet for a lifetime in order to maintain or lose weight.
on May 14, 2010
Format: Paperback
I come from a family prone to diabetes and am committed to staying healthy. I lost and kept off 20 lbs. with Dr. Shapiro's last book. My family has been eating and enjoying the recipes not knowing it they are from a self-help book.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I myself am not a diabetic. However, it runs rampant in my family geneology. As such I am quite familiar with the regimen of diet and medication that is required for both type 1 and 2 diabetes. I chose this book mainly as a resource for my extended family to call upon in managing their diabetes.

To my surprise, there is a lot in this book from which everyone can benefit, not just diabetics. In addition to a myriad of great diabetic friendly recipes, there is a wealth of information about common fast food items with which most of us are quite familiar. The Burger King Chicken Sandwich for example is broken down for its carbohydrate content as well as other nutritional characteristics. But they don't just give you numbers. They give you dialog and asides that fill in the blanks.

This book is more than just a bunch of low-carb recipes. It offers real-world insight and information to diabetics and their families/caretakers so that they can make informed decisions about what they put into their mouths, whether shopping at the grocery store or eating out.
on May 24, 2010
Format: Paperback
If you or someone you know has Diabetes, this is a great book for you. It has 11 chapters:

The Diabetes Danger & The Team That Will Help You Beat It
Sweets
Look & Lose
Recipes For Beating Diabetes
Beating Diabetes Every Day

I love all the information in the book and the recipes are great...well, most are. I love that look yummy are Grilled Shrimp With Shaved Fennel and Roasted Wild Alaskan Halibut With Grilled Sweet Corn Succotash. A few that I don't know if I'll try are Grilled Calamari With Mediterranean Cucumber Salad and Steamed Prawns With Lemon, Seaweed & Aromatic Vegetables.

I would suggest this book to anyone who is a Diabetic or knows someone who is, or just wants to eat healthy.

*Thanks to Caitlin and FSB Associates for this review copy*
VINE VOICEon July 14, 2010
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Lots of great pictures that help substitute favorite meals and use foods which are better for our health and diet. Definitely eye-opening!

Plus, each alternate meal comes with recipes, awesome! For example - Apple Tart vs baked apple, with a recipe to create a baked apple in about 1/2 hour. I baked that apple, it tuned out yummy! [page 120]

And comparisons - one scoop of ice cream vs 22 ice pops - same calories in each! We know it's true, but looking at the pictures just to see how much food you can eat for same caloric value is truly frightening.

Good vs Bad comparisons galore - for example, bad fats vs good. Say, regular butter vs peanut butter.

Healthy cooking suggestions - cook veggies in canola oil, not butter. Of course, I'd go even a step further and say use PAM 99% of the time.

I love that this book talks about brand name foods, not just generic references.

Overall, there are so many great points here, it's tough to mention everything, but the book is definitely worth reading. I just wish it had a great catchy title - something I can quickly say to friends to encourage them to pick the book up.
on June 9, 2010
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I was very disappointed with this book. I never would have purchased it if I knew that, except for beans, peas and legumes, soy is recommended as the only protein source instead of dairy, eggs, lean meat, pork and chicken. Soy has a vegetable estrogen that can mimic human estrogen and the science about the ramifications of that are not clear. I cannot have estrogen and my doctor told me to avoid soy. Also, I felt that the comparison between a steak, a chicken leg with thigh and skin ( which most people know is higher in fat ) and a piece of tuna was misleading. Instead, there should have been a comparison between either white chicken or turkey breast meat and the tuna which would have been more balanced. I also don't believe that all of the alternative sweeteners are a good thing.
I would not recommend this book.
on April 28, 2011
Format: Paperback
I bought this book so I could learn to cook for my diabetic husband. AS other reviewers have mentioned, the first half of the book is devoted to explaining diabetes. I can't say whether or not soy should be part of a diabetic's eating plan, but I do think these authors focus too much on it. I for one simply refuse to eat soy products,so this information was not helpful to me and I think it was way overemphasized. Also the recipes in the book were all by gourmet chefs, none of which can I picture a harried (or even a non-harried) home cook making. So the pictures are great and the concept is great, but the book didn't deliver. I ended up reselling this one.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I give this book five stars --as soon as I opened the cover and checked it out.

If you have diabetes or your dad or your child or your friend----GET THIS BOOK RIGHT AWAY !

The biggest reason why I love this ....is because it helps you connect to the line between the diabetic and their food.This is the lifeline. This is the passage between life and death. What the diabetic eats and when and why and how much and what the food does or dosen't do for them is SO IMPORTANT !!!!

The authors have taken the best choice possible in their dialouge throughout the book. They do not talk to you like your stupid.....or like you need a trainer ( which I hate !!!) They communicate like your sitting in a chair in a room together chatting about how to help a friend or feed a child the best way possible....and it gets a great big 5 STARS from me for its information for the modern world !!

The doctor and the chef have teamed up this time to bring the FIGHT TO DIABETES AND YOUR HEALTH !!

Recipes , explanations of things added to foods , explanation of certain foods...mental focus points to help you understand what food would be better to choose than another and why !!!!!!!!

GET IT !!!!!!