86%
14%
The Beat Handbook: 100 Days of Kerouactions
Price:$13.49+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

stick this little gem of a book into your backpack before you hit the road, my friend. you will be very glad that you did. a great little book.
on February 6, 2013
The book was in great shape but the text was a bit simple and the author was a bit too into himself.
on March 26, 2010
Sometimes a book comes along at just the right time. In my wandering pack of experiences, I find they often do.

Enter The Beat Handbook by Rick Dale. Subtitled 100 Days of Kerouactions, the author reminds us that even in these times of political showdowns with lots of folks worried about losing their rights and freedoms or complaining that they've never had any, freedom is right out your back door.

Designed as a free-living companion book, Dale asks the daily question "What would Jack do? (That is, Jack Kerouac, for you Beat novices.) His advice, drawn mainly from Kerouac's signature novels, On the Road and Dharma Bums, and sprinkled with Zen-Buddhist mysticism and references to other mystics, pivots from the practical to the spiritual and back again.

One day the author recommends following what some of us call our gut instincts and others call our true selves, quieting those inner voices that hold us back from action. A few days later he advises making "slumgullion," a mixture of home fries and scrambled eggs. (Oh yes I tried it! Throw some green pepper in there for a little kick!)

Advice follows on hitchhiking, food to take with you on the road, gift-giving from the heart, breaking the law from time to time, meditation on the go, taking chances, and freeing oneself from the consumerist impulse. The list goes on.

My personal favorite is the advice to drive over the speed limit enough that a whole trip averages an illegal speed -- I AM a lead-foot, after all, and nothing recalls Kerouac's writing to my mind more than to picture Dean Moriarty at the wheel with his foot to the floor weaving around slow-poke half-dead travelers on a mountain road. No mountains in Michigan, but I can approximate!

Which brings us to another of the main elements in the Beat Handbook. This is, throughout, a tribute to Jack Kerouac and a corresponding call to imagine a more free existence than the ones most of us live. Some folks will object to many of the suggestions found inside, but they'll also be missing the point. It's a point Rick Dale makes admirably, even crucially, for our time.

I see it like this: Even Sal (who is really Jack) walks away from Dean and the road life. This walking away is a necessary element, a balance to Dean's complete inability to act as a responsible adult. But Sal brings with him the memory of those wild rides and with those memories something vital, something our safety-first culture tends to miss.

My advice: pick up a copy and build some of your own Beat memories to live on before it's too late. Pick up a copy of On the Road while you're at it. And don't forget to "go go go!"
on January 1, 2009
I have read all that Kerouac has to offer and I can say that this book offers a Fantastic View into the lifestyle of the "Modern Beat."

Ever wonder What Kerouac would do Today if.............?

Rick Dale guides you through a fantastic maze of excerpts from 2 of Kerouacs' classic books, The Road and Dharma Bums. Rick offers up wonderful, and in some cases life changing, activities (or as Rick calls them "Kerouactivities")to participate in!

Take my advice, read the book once, take a few notes along the way, then on your second read do as many of the Kerouactivities you can!

You may find yourself doing something as fulfilling as making a list of places you need to visit, listing your life priorities, giving away your favorite material possession or doing something as fun and liberating as peeing in your backyard or eating a homemade piece of apple pie and ice cream at a great roadside diner you have never been to before!
This book is for everyone not just Kerouac Fans.
Buy this book, read it at least twice, do at least half of the Kerouactivities, and pass the book on to someone else to enjoy..Recycle this book, or do what I do and carry it with you in your new used canvas rucksack (read the book and you will know what I mean!)
on October 28, 2008
The perfect companion for a road trip or life's journey. Rick Dale combines the many experiences of Kerouac with his own to imbue the reader with the true spirit of a "beat". No matter the conundrum, there is sure to be an entry that will address your quandary. A must read for anyone tired of living in a world fueled by stuff!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Sage like wisdom that brings an age old perspective to modern times. A real gem of a book
on October 1, 2008
Not being entirely familiar with the "beat generation," (other than the most commonly read Kerouac), I was a little skeptical about whether or not I would "get" this book. I've met the author in person, and sometimes I felt lost in his company, as if I had missed something vitally important about life.

Now, I know what I was missing.

The Beat Handbook combines many different philosophies in a way that not only makes it feel inclusive but also accessible. Traditionally "beat," some passages call for the tossing away of convention and restriction. Others encourage us to think or act or just be content with what we have right now. Its part journal, part conversation, and part wisdom dispensed through a brilliant prose that feels like you're sitting across the table from an old friend.

Highly recommended!